SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micterate

Option 1 or Option 2 for Kitchen Layout?

Shazia
last year

What's your choice between the kitchen layouts below for our renovation?

Option 1 or Option 2? Extra credit if you tell me why because this decision is driving me bonkers!

Option 1 - L-shape with 8' Island and separate beverage station

Option 2 - Back wall of cabs (requires making the window shorter) and 10' island

Pics of our home:

Layout of house

Current kitchen space

Picture of Family Room before the flood (and forced renovation!) You can see we took out the wall b/w family room and kitchen

Also, here's background info:

Height: 9' ceilings

Size: 22'x13' with 13' opening between kitchen and living room

People: 2.5 people space (husband, me, bonus 10yo daughter who is with us half-time - 2 weeks at a time). 1 cook, 1 helper at a time.

Use: We cook 1-2 times a week and eat together. We like to entertain more casually (e.g. I like to prep things and have them set out so people can enjoy and graze). I host retreats at my house which have a chef and she would use the kitchen and then we would eat in the formal dining room.

We also have a formal dining room that can seat 10-12 easily.

Flexibility: Right now, we can do anything because the kitchen is gutted!

Desires: Beverage Station (we do lots of tea, coffee, sparkling water). Counters to be as clutter-free as possible. I love a large island (preferably around 8'). Work zones need to make sense because I like efficiency and a good flow to things. Would love a breakfast nook, even if small for our everyday meals. I want the kitchen to look high-end and custom.

Appliances:

• GE Cafe Series Matte White Fridge - 36" counter depth
  • Will buy the GE Cafe Series Matte White oven too (debating between 30" or 36" for aesthetic only - not function since we don't cook a lot)
  • 24" Bosch dishwasher stainless steel
  • Can show or hide the microwave
  • Small appliances we use often are the air fryer and blender for smoothies

Pantry: We have a walk-in pantry in the kitchen under the stairs that fits our family needs.

Desired Style: Transitional/Coastal Glam. White shaker cabinets with white Oak Island. Quartz counters. Glass cabs possibly sprinkled throughout. Matte white Cafe series fridge and oven. Hardware - champagne bronze.

Mission/Vision: A gorgeous kitchen that makes you say wow when you see it AND is easy to use/functional for our every day use. Light and Airy with a luxury feel. A kitchen that just feels right when you look at it and invokes a space of gathering, great conversation, and an invitation to make something yummy to eat or have a warm beverage in hand. The cabinets create a soothing foundation and the hardware and light fixtures are the jewels of the kitchen. The barstools and breakfast nook provide comfort for people to sit leisurely and comfortably.

TIA (Thanks in advance)!

Comments (539)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I have to go away: ) Your lighting IS quite modern darling. Not all that "transitional" ......: )

Expecting to SWWWOOOOON on every element can lead to loathe on the whole.. Not necessary. Something has to be chorus to the stars.

Shazia thanked JAN MOYER
  • Shazia
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Yes…and this is my concern now that cabs are up. The pendants I picked are now also too modern.

Ok, I shall play. And let's be honest, I always come back to what you share. I just have to meander a while, lol.

Bye bye 👋

• Related Discussions

Layout choices Option 1

Q

Comments (2)
    Me too Donna...but my DH says it's boring...
    ...See More

Layout Feedback: design option 1

Q

Comments (8)
    Its a 3200 sq foot house which is really too small for us but we love our neighborhood (lots of friends, close to work) the school (top rated public gifted magnet school which is IN the actual neighborhood) where our oldest just started kindergarten. So we'd really like to move to a bigger house but right now we are thinking to stay for the time being, making the compromises becuase the neighborhoods great and we are almost done with the mortgage. So that is our psychology. I surf GW, then realtor.com, then GW. Once I sign a remodeling contract, the decision will be made. I know 3200 doesnt sound small, I grew up in a 2000 sq ft house I thought was big so who knows what happened to my perspective. We have very little storage space b/c we finished the walk out basement with a dining area, rec room, full kitchen, full bath and bedroom. Our nanny lives down there and the only storage is a walk thru area between the nannys bedroom and her bathroom- it has two huge racks on the wall with bins on it. That is our only other alternative for the washer dryer- but I have to weight it against losing one of those racks and having to sort of be in her space to laundry. She wouldnt mind, but it feels inconvienant to me. Otherwise I've checked all the walls and spaces and there is no where to put the W/d (which are huge front loaders). Even my garage, I have to turn sideways to walk by my car- and my husband is a fanatic about keeping cars in the garage. My friend has the same house and just did a remodel and also searched in vain for another spot and came up empty. She said she felt like she had a ton of more space after her remodel with bigger cabinets. So, I agree the pantry space is not great. I do feel like I am going to throw out a bunch of stuff when I remodel. I have like 10 pie pans for example- dishes I dont use- etc. all must go. I'm going to be ruthless. I hope I end up with a little more room than I have now and I have a hall bath remodel Im doing too that I might be able to pack some additional storage into (on bath forum) but overall I think I could live in my space today (and do) esp. if I got rid of some of my dups and do-not-use items. Then again I am making my window a foot bigger so I will lose a cabinet there. Wine bottles we have a pottery barn bar in the living room that holds about 20 wine bottles and a stand alone rack in the dining room that holds a few then we also have a large sideboard in the dining room where we sometimes stash cases of wine if we buy a lot. We dont collect wine (except for about 5 bottles)- we drink it! But maybe I will ax the warming drawer in the island if I go with the AGA PRo+ range which converts to a sort of warming oven with the divider in. That is a big question mark for me. How would I move the microwave to an upper? That is sort of interesting- do you have any pictures of that? Is it like an open shelf with a smaller top above? If I do ax my warming drawer, my island will need a 24 inch cabinet for the sink. A 24 inch for the micro with a drawer under and then I am left with either a 36 inch space (drawers?) or two 18 inch cabs (that'd be dumb right?) Re: the hutch, does anyone think it ruins the hutch look to use one of the bottom sides for a wine fridge? Should I try to get it in the island? (forcing me to that 2-18 inch cabinets noted above). Thanks for the responses, I really need a sounding board!
    ...See More

Kitchen remodel-option 1 vs option 2 & any advice?

Q

Comments (5)
    I like Option 2, but with the fridge on the opposite wall. As it is, the leg opposite the sink has a lot of counter without a purpose. With the fridge moved, you can add drawers next to the DW for dish storage, and possibly uppers. I would move the sink to the right, so you can prep in front of the window, and add a super susan in the corner. On the new fridge wall, you can add deep cabinets, both upper and lower, so the fridge doesn't stick out so far. This gives you more storage and more counter space.
    ...See More

Can I replace 32 1/2 inch double sink with 31 1/2 single? Options?

Q

Comments (6)
    This is what that sink is going to look like: Your reveal will be off a tad too. Small tradeoff.
    ...See More
  • Shazia
    Original Author
    2 months ago

And in case you or others wanted to see…
    Powder room wallpaper is up! Fixtures go in next week…I went traditional/polished nickel with it.

And here’s the lighting mood board for the front of the house.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

I’m backkkkkkk!!! Oven arrived today and it looks amazing! Cabinet pulls go on next week.

Question for you: What do you think of the sconces? I love the sculptural feel and shape but I’m getting thrown off by the gold. Should I consider something else? DH doesn’t like tail sconces.

For pendants we went with this (basically the original ones you sent Jan!): https://www.elkhome.com/Product/cavendish-20-wide-1-light-pendant-89984-1-elk

For breakfast nook, doing this:

https://www.shadesoflight.com/products/halia-chandelier?color=Brass / Natural Ivory Rope

Thank you for your input!

• herbflavor
    last month
    last modified: last month

brick wall thru the window?? [kinda cool .....I like brick] nice patterned stone under the hood.....and all the creamy white...but I would anchor things with some black as a shift from all the gold... .. I guess its personally whatever you like.....two color options shown also...a good case for color

Cobbleskill 1-Light Sconce, Mercury Glass, Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info

Fiorentino One-Light Wall Sconce with Bulb, Antique Brass · More Info

maybe alternatively some color

1-Light Sconce In Satin Nickel Multi-Colored Glass Multi Glass Made Of · More Info

Jezebel Radiance Narrow Tourmaline Sconce, Seafoam Green · More Info

• rebunky
    last month

Hi Shazia!

I understand exactly what you mean about the gold sconces. They are just too gold and are pretty distracting. They don’t really fit the style of the new pendants and chandelier imho. They are really harsh and modern looking, where the new lighting is soft and airy.

I feel like the new lighting choices have changed the style to more of a beachy/boho/chic vibe. And I really like it!

I was envisioning mother of pearl or capis shells somewhere. When saw these sconces, you know me, I just had to mock it all up. Lol!

I changed the stools back to the really expensive ones I picked earlier because the black legs on the ones you got just were not working as well. 😬🫣

I love that wallpaper! Gorgeous!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

You keep "cutting the THREAD on the sweater." You're on gold overload. ........and it needed some black.

You keep moving the chains, changing the feel.

Are you NEAR a beach? Does the kitchen feel coastal or beachy? Doesn't to me.

Where is the interior designer in all this, to keep you on track. ......she fired you?

I don't love, but I don't have to. You do.

I can't even keep track....

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you all!

@jan_moyer - my local designer helped pick out all this lighting but none of us knew it would be this gold until it arrived. She’s also fine with it in person and said everything doesn’t have to match. The shape and scale of the sconces are so lovely.

I like the kitchen and in person it feels so nice! The layout and clearances just feel good even though no one would actually know that’s what it is. We get compliments from everyone who comes (especially on the TM) but there’s something that’s off to me. I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe I’m overthinking thinking it but thought I’d get all of your eyes on it. If you have better suggestions, I’m always open.

I’m still going for the same vibe since the beginning….light, airy, elevated, with depth/texture.

@rebunky - thank you for the rendering! I love the wallpaper too!

@herbflavor - the brick is the camera angle. The window looks out into the side yard. That would definitely be an odd view if it didn’t!

• rebunky
    last month

I had forgotten about your Capiz shell art on the wall. 🥰

I do think you need to tie in the black on the stools somewhere.

What if you exchanged the ivory rope chandelier for the black rope instead?

• kl23
    last month

@Shazia my eye is attracted to the brick wall outside the window. And that's not what you want, I assume. Maybe that's because there's not enough variability in texture inside yet? I don't see texture contrast, and I don't see repetition of some elements.

I know you like all off-white, but maybe you can think of some textures you like other than smooth wood and glass to add in some way. I noticed that the wood in your floor is not repeated anywhere. Maybe some wood in your light fixtures would help. A lighter wood cutting board or baskets? Or some wood shelving near your microwave to get the items off the counter? Just enough that the light caramel yellow floor color isn't lonely.

The range backsplash (and counter?) look pinkish in the photo, compared to the wood floor. The pink is a cool pink, not a warm pink. There's pink in the brick outside. But I think some pink is needed inside too to repeat that coloring. Nothing any pinker than the backsplash though, lest you think I am stearing you from your preferred off-white. The three tints of off-white, pink, and light caramel are a natural combination.

The two pendants may not be the right size but show what I mean to add a softer texture in a transitional style to balance the hard smoothness of everything else, and to repeat some of the wood. And the wood shelves could be lit or not.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

"Didn't know it would be so gold"

Glam? Beachy,? capiz shells ?........what?

The very reason I was on Visual Comfort lighting and Top Knobs hardware at the start.

The "gold" ISN'T gold. It's more burnished, That's why.

Gotta say I'm not loving the dining table fixture, but that could be me.

What do I know . You're in the space, and I am not.

Way back here however long ago??

You said ......."I don't navigate to black, it feels too modern, too farmhouse for me".......

Okay.....then what do you have now? Because I see no farm even above mood.

The point I think, is when you feel the need to individually LOOOOOOOOVE every element equally? You go straight to the high weeds. Which is where I am .

Get with the designer, tell her it feels "off" to you. You're past the point where crowd sourcing will be helpful.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

@kl23 … that’s it, the ‘hard smoothness’ of everything. That’s what’s throwing me off. Caramel is the right color to describe the blush and taupe undertones that exist throughout. The colors convo was helpful, thank you!

Side note: The floor has already started yellowing which I didn’t expect! When we sampled it, we picked the one that had a blush undertone. Two layers of Bona Nordic white + two layers of hd traffic and it’s definitely becoming lighter and yellower over time. But it’s still very very neutral. Side-side note, our GC is doing the same exact floor and wall paint color in their custom home bc him and his wife liked it so much 😂

I also love the idea of adding more wood and will with accessories and furniture. Our designer suggested a 36” round fluted, walnut table with fabric chairs. On my list to order this week. I’ll also add wood accessories, art, plants/flowers/herbs throughout once I can be done with this reno!!!

@jan…I did exactly that with VC - the sconces up now are from there but the gilded gold is that brighter gold which is stunning…it just isn’t working in our kitchen bc the Taj Mahal and champagne bronze are taupey. TK honey gold was the same issue when it arrived…a brighter gold that just didn’t flow in our house so those pulls didn’t work.
    I had also showed her the black and gold vignette when you suggested it but she said no for it in reality for our house…although she loves the stools!
    And yes, in full transparency, she always laughs at me (and wants to kill me too!) for my mixing of styles but always brings us back to transitional. Get mad all you want but I’m even sweeter in person 😂

Regarding all things not working, it just is what it is. Learning as I go that design is a lot of trying and not perfect out the door. I’m not having to love every piece (in fact, I don’t prefer the cone pendants but they flowed with the look when we ordered them and are still very classy). Elk lighting’s CZ matches quite well btw.

Honestly, when you come in our house, it’s breathtaking. It’s beautiful and unexpected and the house feels open and airy. Someone had a great kitchen design here 😘

The finishes need to finish it off now so it feels cohesive. What I’m garnering is we don’t have the right trifecta of lighting yet…

And I value y’all’s opinion, Houzz has been my saving grace too many times!

p.s. microwave is temporary. Drawer micro goes in this week and the window area will become a proper beverage area. And all the clutter on top now will go in drawers…just waiting on the pulls!

• rebunky
    last month

So from the very beginning, all I hear Shazia saying over and over again is that her style is ”Malibu-Luxe” or ”Coastal-Glam”….

I can only assume she lives somewhat close to a beach and most likely on the West coast. Shazia, you don’t live in Iowa do you? 😂

• rebunky
    last month

Okay, so I just had to look up “Luxury Malibu homes”. These were just a couple of the first few images that popped up.

Well, I think you are totally nailing it so far Shazia. You need to trust yourself. You know your style, so just keep going. I cannot wait to see the reveal!

ETA: And of course, we all realize your family room picture is your ”before” picture. Hopefully no one will go crazy on nit picking about the exact comparisons.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Oh wow…those homes are dreamy to me!!!! I’m surprised how similar the overall feeling is to my living room too. I’m really feeling those chairs at the dining nook!

I live in Texas 😂 so while there isn’t a beach on the outside, we have a beautiful pool and can create the indoor/outdoor feel. When we open up the windows, and the pool waterfall is running…I feel like I’m whisked away to somewhere not in Texas #iykyk 😂😂😂

I love the vibe of Malibu when I go bc I like how upscale everything is but it is light and airy. I don’t like beach style with blue everywhere, shells and written out signs or nautical themes. That’s why I landed on Malibu Luxe. I just imagine if I had a luxury home in Malibu…it would have a certain je ne sais that was elevated and elegant.

The greatest compliment I got was a friend who came by last week and said how the house feels so luxurious but comfortable at the same time. She said that’s hard to do and I can thank y’all for that!

Yes to trusting myself but truth be told…I don’t. I’m not gifted like the pros who can listen to what I said above and actually bring it to life. Especially with the finishing touches and details.

@rebunky @kl23 - Wanna see my finished closet? And bother @Jan even more with not being able to keep up and muttering to herself…how did she mess up my kitchen design?! 😂😂😂

The closet is what dreams are made of!!

• AnnKH
    last month

I want to see your closet!

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Here she is!

I’m most proud of endless drawers for DH to put his tshirts and socks away 😂

• rebunky
    last month

That is fabulous! 😍😍😍

• kl23
    last month

Wow! I am drooling over all the storage!

• kl23
    last month

@Shazia, you've inspired me to investigate "Malibu style". I read that natural textural elements are key so your plan to incorporate them fits in. They also said to include "pops" of color. One article suggested blue but that seems a bit cliche... beachy. I was thinking some peridot green to balance the yellow-caramel and taupe pink. What colors were you envisioning for houseplants?

I saw this kitchen photo that looks a bit like yours and wondered what you thought of the light fixtures over the island and what you thought of the stools. I like the stools. I can see the fixtures being hard to clean but maybe that's not as much of an issue for you.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks all! The closet makes me so happy! My forte isn’t design but it is organizing so I’m proud of this one.

@kl23, I love that color plant and had no idea that was the name. I’ll definitely add in that color. I was also thinking about an herb garden on the windowsill too. I also put my fiddle leaf fig tree behind the couch so it sits between the family room and kitchen. And I have monstrous monsterra growing in our living room. The plants give the house life!

For now I like the barstools @jan sent. They look great in the kitchen! We needed a swivel too.

The lighting is still my big question because I like that luxe/glam part. That’s still there but I can’t seem to get a trifecta (sconces, pendants, chandelier) that works. I like a lot of things but also don’t like a lot of things 😂

I had put together a lighting album sorted by type that included fixtures that my husband and I both liked. There were tons of options, according to the scale of each area, and then our local designers nixed any that were a no and then we played with the rest.
    Here’s the link and I added in the bruck one you sent! That was a beautiful texture.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D5b392SdwUKFBQT5A

We were doing 9 fixtures so this was the only way to keep me sane!!

Btw, I do need a really nice fruit bowl or two! There’s a lot of fruit happening in our house if anyone has any suggestions!

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Oh and I did a 24” bubbles fixture like what you sent…in our bathroom! It goes up next week!

• AnnKH
    last month

Wow, Shazia, that closet is fabulous! I love the glass shelves, providing light below. It looks like the pants and scarves pull out? If so, do you use that feature? How do you keep track of what goes in all the drawers?

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

@AnnKH thx! yes they pull out and I use that feature bc there are rows of scarves to access and pants too! It’s one of my fav features. For my drawers, I organized by category so I know where things are! Intimates, pjs, workout clothes, etc.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Kitchen Cabinet Pulls went in!!! They jujh the kitchen soooooo much!

Btw custom cabinet maker said our kitchen is a 10 kitchen. He said he’s seen a lot but this one between the design, the counter, the scale of everything, how it ties together. He said it’s a kitchen to be proud of.

Thank you again @jan_moyer @rebunky @rabbitt_design for your dedicated help on this💗

I line the cabinets and finally UNPACK my kitchen today. Wow. Our house flooded Christmas of 2022 and is ready again Ramadan of 2024 😍 maybe this is a Divine allegory to the journey of Noah…or maybe I’m just delulu after almost a year and a half of renovation life 😂😂

• PRO
    Rabbitt Design
    last month

My better judgement is to keep things to myself on this one but I invested a ton of time here. Hope this isn’t too much yum-yukking… but I truly wish more of my original design on this was followed for a number of reasons.
    The only reason I’m compelled to post is because of that hood. The focal point of the room was always going to be the center of the kitchen, and so the hood was either going to be on display, or if carefully disguised, blended in or second fiddle to some other focal point….instead, there it is, a hugely oversized box of mundane. It takes over the room, it’s the only thing I can see… and it wasn’t masked with neighboring boxes, nor was it shaped to break away from an already linear looking kitchen. Just a huge box that looks like a moving box to me. Super top heavy, and now makes the entire kitchen look heavy. What’s worse is that it’s white.. and white will always make a surface look big
    I would find some way to invest another $4-5K to get rid of it and change it to something with a much smaller profile.
    .. then, while I’m here being a jerk even though I wish I didn’t want to be, we should’ve used starfire glass on those cabinets so we weren’t seeing tempered green glass, or changed the interior finish of those cabinet so we didn’t notice the green.
    Those stools are the wrong choice, and I’m really really hoping that white cafe fridge isn’t what’s staying in the space. There are other things to bring this kitchen into the WOW that it deserves which can be done with finishes and decor, but that hood has me sad, sorry to say it.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

What would be a smaller profile? Nm, I remember the hood you put in your rendering! The slimline stainless steel. You’re right about the hood being heavy…

The fridge will be changed out to a subzero. We built out for it and then added the false panel for the current fridge.
    Also the glass doesn’t render green at all in person. It’s perfectly clear.

What would be your stool selection? We need swivel…so there are basically three options 😂

Also I’m always open to feedback so you’re not jerky. Your rendering is what made me dream bigger in my kitchen @rabbitt_design!

Updates are possible for sure but for now I want to focus on finishes bc the kitchen definitely needs color and warmth. Once I do all that, I will explore the back wall again.

If you have any ideas in the current design, maybe it can happen sooner rather than later.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Edit: glass isn’t clear…you’re right about the tint and I would have never noticed it until I went to go inspect it. 😂

• rebunky
    last month

I did notice that Jan’s final drawings of the panels and the hood is slightly different than what you got.

Now I realize most would not notice this mistake, but it might be contributing to a slightly top heavy look on the hood.

If you look at how Jan drew the panels, notice how the bottom trim was supposed to be taller then it is? It should have been the same height as the small drawer under the glass doors. Then the bottom of the hood was supposed to match.

What you got-

Mock up of what Jan drew.

So you can see that the bottom of the hood was supposed to be the same height as the bottom trim on the panel. The bottom being taller would have made it look balanced with the top (including the crown).

I actually showed Jan’s details on this final rendering as well, which she gave the thumbs up on.

If you read the notes I added on the bottom, I noted that the bottom trim was to be the same height as the drawer. I forgot to write a note on the bottom of hood, but you can clearly see how the bottom of the hood is bigger than the top and matches to the height of the panel bottom.

Did you happen to send this rendering or Jan’s hand drawings of the panels and hood to the cabinet maker?

I know it is not a huge deal, but just thought I would be a complete nit picker and point it out! 🤪🫣

Another thing I wrote and show on the rendering is that the top drawers on the bases and the small drawer under the glass uppers were supposed the be slab front. Maybe you told them to go ahead and make them shaker? It think it looks fine, so I would not worry about that. Again just my nit picking!

With all that said, I think once the pendant lights and everything else is in, the hood will blend more into the background anyways.

I mean it looks so gorgeous as it is right now! So once you get all the lighting, furniture, art, plants, and other decor in there, it will be one of the nicest kitchens and homes I have ever seen!

I will admit that I still am not totally sold on the stools. But, maybe once everything else is done, they will look great. I also am still not sure on the sconces being such a bright gold when everything else is more of a champagne gold. Maybe the gold band on the pendants and on the nook chandelier will be closer to the gold in the sconces and tie it all together? For sure, the paneled sub zero fridge will make a big difference!

❤️❤️❤️

• rebunky
    last month

Just a thought. I don’t know if this would make any difference, but I removed the shaker trim on the hood. I think you wanted the pendants, sconces, and lighted glass cabinets to be the focus, so this does make the hood more simple and blend into the wall more.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I think I said " PLEEEEEEEZE order the subzero NOW and clad it please, because the cafe is going to look odd man out and drive you ( ME ) crazy"

Lights. Do you need that recessed shining on the face of the hood, ( the hood has a light ) and while I understand the passion for led, I think the lighting temperature looks too chilly. what is in those?

Aren't the glass cabinets lit? Was that not supposed to be led tape on the hidden inside front edge?

Top drawers on the perimeter bottom and glass. Too late now,

should have been slab : ) which they ignored from their OWN rendering!!!!! Crowds the pulls.

The hood..............let's remember the issue with resources and the Taj Mahal. Let's remember trying to literally eek a way to get it on the splash from what you owned which wasn't enough for a full splash. As I recall this came down to inches. Hence the trimmed panels and limiting Taj to just under the hood.

Stools...... the cling to swivel makes a selection murder. They are by definition, heavier, clunkier appearing, and the rage for the decent looking is all leather online. You are on your own for those : )

Get the rest of the lighting up, warm up that 4000k if that's what is in those. What is taking so long to get a microwave installed? under the counter? I can't do stools again.

Get some art on that wall too.

• rebunky
    last month

Top drawers on the perimeter bottom and glass. Too late now,

should have been slab : ) which they ignored from their OWN rendering!!!!! Crowds the pulls.

Actually Jan, I believe the original rendering from the cabinet maker showed the shaker drawer fronts on the top drawer of the bases and under the glass uppers.

I caught that, and asked you about making them slab front since it makes the handles look squished in with the shaker front. You agreed and said, good catch rebunky.

So if you are referring to that final rendering I posted just above…

That was after I ”fixed“ their original rendering, I erased out their shaker top drawers on the bases and under the glass and mocked it up to show the slab fronts.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify that that the slab fronts was not in their original idea.

Maybe Shazia never gave them the rendering I did above which showed all your approved changes? No clue! But somehow your final design was not fully brought to fruition.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

You are right, that was YOUR rendering...... not theirs.

ON WHICH I NOTED PULLS

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Good questions!

Yes, I sent your renderings @rebunky and Jan’s handwritten drawings multiple too with the specifics of the back cabinets.

For the panel, he said the tallest he could do to keep the integrity of the wood was 5” high on the bottom the panel. Bc the drawer was going to be 6” high, I thought 1” difference would be negligible.

When it arrived, the drawer was 7” and then about 1” off the counter too. So now we have 8” drawer vs 5” panel on the install. I debated and debated and debated on saying something. But truth be told, I was happy to finally have the cabinets in. I knew a change like that, post install, would be weeks, if not months longer to get.
    It looks fine but it’s like a designers touch made the design but a team of trade’s men created the end product and the subtleties make a difference.

So technically he did match the hood style to the panel but what they did is they made everything symmetrical at 5” instead of 6” on the bottom.

Flat panel I also mentioned several times but he talked about how they proportion out the rail to be thinner on top drawers which they did. As you said it really doesn’t make much difference.
    Have I considered telling him to change out those shaker drawers to flat slab? Bc I could commission that and it wouldn’t require ripping anything out. Yes, yes I have and then I talk myself off the ledge. I do want to finish the kitchen and then decide what, if anything, has to change.

The primary issue is simply the not another slab of TM. It is. Jan was right and her problem solving was the best way to resolve the issue with what we had. On the after though, you either see the box of the hood or the box of the backsplash. It’s the thing that’s off…and nothing can resolve that unless we had a full slab of TM in the back OR we do a tile backsplash on the full back with a different hood.

Tbh, it’s still an absolutely stunning kitchen. People come stare at it. Go up close and touch it. Inspect all of it. Hug the counters. It’s a very evocative kitchen I guess 😂

Jan, I will respond to your post tomorrow bc you said you’re cranky today. Hope you get out and breathe some fresh air and stare at the clouds and touch the trees and say to yourself … I’m a damn good designer 💗

• dani_m08
    last month

One day last week, I was stuck in bed - and stumbled upon this thread (getting ready to finally reno my kitchen). I read through ALL of it!

1. I was really hoping for the extra slab of taj - but I understand needing to stick to a budget. I did like rebunky’s idea re: using something else on perimter and the slab to do the entire back wall where it will be seen - but then thought maybe it would look awkward in real life vs. 2D drawing (maybe a design faux pas to not use immediately adjacent countertop material when running it up the wall)?

2. I also was hoping for the glass towers and island to be black (actually, wanted the glass towers to be black metal).

It is much easier to spend someone else’s $$$$$!

When I saw the first photo of the kitchen (before pulls) - I thought something was wrong. I looked again - and immediately noticed that the trim on the bottom of the hood + wall panels did not match the height of the drawers on bottom of the towers. Once I saw the photo with the pulls added, I thought, ”Uh oh . . . no slab fronts on top drawers and bottom of towers . . .” Looks crowded.

Was the last rendering sent to the GC and cabinet maker? If so, how were those details missed?

You’ll notice that I left ”designer” out of the above sentence - because I don’t understand how (WHY???!?!?) you’re paying for a designer when your kitchen was entirely designed by two pros (+ rebunky) on Houzz?

If the three of you spend 1/3 of the time you did on this post - on my upcoming kitchen renovation post - I’ll be shipping some nice wine to Jan + figure out something to send to Rabbitt and rebunky - because, as an attorney, I know how time consuming ”free advice” can be. To be honest, my most difficult clients tend to be the “pro bono” ones - but I never seem to learn that!

Shazia - that last sentence was not a comment about you - I’m sure all of this has been overwhelming at times.

Shazia - I was drafting my comment and didn’t see yours until after I posted mine.

• dani_m08
    last month

Shazia - if it was me, I’d have them change out the slab drawer fronts. You’ll still have the current ones in place until the new ones are ready - so, no interruption in using your kitchen. I know it’s not fun to have to ask someone to fix a mistake - but you don’t have to be the ”bad guy” (even though you’re not at all) - your designer needs to handle this for you. She also should have been on site when issues came up in order to take care of things for you.

You have nice pulls - but those small shaker drawer fronts really don’t work with them.

• rebunky
    last month

Dani, I would be happy with wine! 🍷🥰

• rebunky
    last month

Shazia, I would definitely have them fix the top drawers to slab. They would look so much better with the slab front.

I did not know if you had told them to change it back to the shaker yourself, so I did not want to say they looked horrible. We have this unwritten law here in the Kitchen forum that once the kitchen is installed and the OP is happy with it, you do not go off on what all you think is wrong.

BUT, since you DID send them Jan’s sketches, as well as that final render which she approved, they should have followed it. Simple. They need to fix it.

She even wrote the pull sizes for you on top of that final render! Clearly showing slab fronts!

They should have followed the design given them. It is not there job to make changes. You are paying them to make cabinets and build them according to your designers’ specs. Why? Because they are not designers. Clearly! They should not be messing with the design at all. If they think the top drawer looks better with shrunken down skinnier top and bottom rails that do not match the width of the sides, with the pulls jammed in between, they are clueless. 🙄

I mocked up what Jan’s design should have looked like. I changed to slab fronts on the top drawers and under glass doors. I also made the trim on panels and hood the height of the drawer. This looks way better, don’t you think? The details really do matter.

I really don’t understand why they would want to change the slab fronts anyways. So odd! Why would they go to the trouble of making the rails thinner just for the top drawers, when the slab front is way easier and cheaper for them to make? Makes no sense to me.

I would just say something like,

”I wanted the slab fronts on the top drawers. I vaguelyrecall something you said about how you usually make the rails thinner so the pulls won’t look squished in. Well, they do! The more I look at it, the more I dislike how busy that shaker looks with the pulls squished in. The am sorry, but I would like you to redo those drawers and make them slab front like the rendering I sent you by my designer showed.”

Now I would also be questioning them about the shortened trim on the panels and hood.

“For the panel, he said the tallest he could do to keep the integrity of the wood was 5” high on the bottom the panel. Bc the drawer was going to be 6” high, I thought 1” difference would be negligible.”

Well, they did not make them 1” smaller then the drawer. They made the differnce 3”, so now it is now it is really noticable.

They should have made it clear to you that the differance between the rail on the panel and hood and the drawer will be 3”, not 1”.

They could have said, ”So the little drawer needs to be 7”. (not sure why) and it will sit an inch above the counter. That equals a height of 8”. We cannot do the bottom panel trim any higher then 5” for the ”integrity of the wood”. (Excuse me? why?) We understand you wanted the bottom trim to match the height of the drawer. It will be off by 3”. How would you like us to proceed?”

You could have then asked Jan about the 3” differance, and I am sure she would have found a solution.

I do understand you not worrying about 1“. But, I think it was misleading to let you think it was only a little inch and would not be noticed. Again, the small details really do matter.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Wow. It does make a difference…
    I keep toggling bw the renderings (thank you again always for that! Btw PM me your addy bc I have a much nicer gift for you than wine to send! 😍 My husband and I have been talking about Jan’s gift for a while now too if you have any ideas!)

So I’m toggling between the renderings and those difference of inches on the panel and hood is so different! Jan’s design executed properly is so much better. How???

To my eye, I am neutral on the shaker vs slab. I actually like shaker on the little drawer more. Slab on top drawers looks cleaner and more custom though.

Why did the custom cab maker do his own thing? Where was the GC? Why am I tired of so many men in my house giving me their opinion, needing my approval, making a mess and then ‘tidying up’ and still leaving a mess? Oops, no one asked that last question…did they? 😂 I’ll save that rant for another day. But I do need a break from any more trades men coming to my house for at least a year when this is all done.

Let me sleep on what to send to cabinet maker. He was actually the best trade yet. Super thorough and definitely one of the best in the area without a doubt. I specifically didn’t go with my GC’s guy bc he did our bathroom vanity and OMG…it’s the greatest regret I have in this whole process. Shoddy work and we did have him come back to fix but it’s still unacceptable to me. I’m still upset every time I look at it. Anywho, the kitchen cabinet maker was a great decision but what I realized in the end is that this design was so out of the ordinary for him. He was confused about the panels for a bit, pushed back on the glass. He was always amenable to me saying this is what my designer said. But it would take two or three rounds sometimes of explanation. So I was disappointed when the 5” vs 8” happened. I also realized he went symmetrical all around but the design was to have weight on the bottom. I don’t think he could envision it bc he’s never done it.

I think it’s very fair to go back but honestly I’m pooped. My birthdays coming up this week and all I want is to be done. But I know I’m in the last leg of this marathon so gotta keep going.

I hope to wake up fresh and clear in the am.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Lighting temp is 3000 in canned lights. I can change if needed but light is pretty neutral and we use the dimmer.

LED tape in glass cabs is 2700 bc I wanted those warmer.

Microwave goes in today.

• PRO
    Rabbitt Design
    last month

I could think of a few inexpensive edits to that big ole hood

Also your cabinet installer forgot to put in glass shelves

• kl23
    last month

@Shazia Happy Birthday in advance! I love your comment about having a bunch of men in the house telling you what to do. I also love it when men tell me a thing can't be done or is too much work or will be too expensive. Fortunately, there are other men... super men, I guess. Keepers! Sounds like your cabinet guy is one of them. I don't mind paying those guys extra to keep them coming back. If you have him change anything, consider paying him as though it was a fresh job, instead of "fixing" things for free, especially since it doesn't sound like he was at fault for anything. Also, can he fix the mistakes in the bathroom made by the contractor's carpenter? Don't let your bathroom ruin every day.

• dani_m08
    last month

Wine for rebunky - noted! 💜

I was surprised about drawer fronts also - because slab seems easier to me . . .

Shazia - have a Happy Birthday - even if you decide to not make any changes, your kitchen is still amazing!

P. S. - wine can be a very nice gift - if you send the right bottles!! 🤣

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Hiiiiiii yall! Ok I’m fresh and ready!

Let’s huddle up bc we’ve got this and have added @kl23 and @dani_m08 (you get an award for reading the whole thread!) to the team!

The microwave was installed and now the kitchen looks like it can breathe without the hunky microwave on a counter.

I’m going to tidy the kitchen and send a pic but @rabbitt_design rendering (THANK YOU! did only the hood, slab and stools change? Want to make sure I didn’t miss anything) looks so similar, I can now see how much the kitchen needs color 😂

I’ve scheduled a shopping trip with my local interior designer next week for art and accessories. I’ll send pics as things get added. (Btw Dani, she’s an interior designer, not a kitchen designer so her role came much later)

And I’m open to edits. Some will have to wait bc of said break needed. But some could happen sooner rather than later. And I do prefer to pay my cabinet maker for changes bc he really was an upstanding trade. Re: why not do slab…I actually think he couldn’t imagine not doing the shaker for the integrity of his work. He was like trust me on this.

In either option, let me get a more finished look on this side and we go from there!

My big question mark still is lighting. I actually love the current sconces and had an idea. I know an artist here who is also our handyperson. She’s very talented! I was going to ask her if she could do something to make the color of the sconces more champagne. The shape, scale and light of them is so nice and my scouring for other sconces is bringing nothing better imho. If that’s not an option, I’ll move these sconces to the dining room.

I’ll nix the breakfast nook chandelier Jan vetoed and play around with some options.

Thank you for the birthday wishes!! 😍

• hazwe
    last month

You could take one of your shelves (for size) to a local glass and mirror shop. They could make/cut your glass shelves as Rabbit Design mentioned. It will make a HUGE difference.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Happy Birthday and a shout out to RABBIT!!

GREAT SOLUTION for the hood.

Pardon me, but do the EFFING stools swivel?!

Give that up......please. It will free your selections!!!.

And hurry up on the clad subzero!!!!! and the SLAB drawer fronts. It has nothing to do with integrity, it has to do with proportion.

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

I’m so confused why the stools are so controversial. What did they ever do to anyone?! 😂
    They DO swivel and we use them daily!

Will add to edits list for now. I would have no problem changing them out later. Maybe the furniture manufacturers will hear our call for needing nice looking swivel stools and create something darling 😍

• Shazia
    Original Author
    last month

Noted on glass! I can do that.

I remember originally we talked about top lighting and cabinet makers said that with glass, it looks like the bottom of the ocean bc the light graduated through the glass from top to bottom.

But then we did LED strip so could have done glass after all.

Adding to list and that can be done now ✅

• rebunky
    last month

I like Rabbitt’s hood idea. One slight tweak I would consider is to remove the shaker trim and then have it be a softer curve as it tapers up verses the sharper angles.

This one might be plaster, but you get the idea.

I thought you were getting the glass shelves, so I was a little surprised when they were wood. I think the glass shelves will look beautiful!

You mentioned the breakfast table was possibly going to be a walnut (?) wood fluted base. Maybe get the table and chairs picked out first and then look for stools that tie in with the table?

• hazwe
    last month

Perhaps someone here could advise you about low iron glass. It is supposed to eliminate or reduce the green edges of the glass. I didn't know about it when I got mine.