SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Do you wear patterned sneakers or stick with white?

Funkyart
last year

I don't know what came over me today -- I fear my inner child is taking over. Do you wear patterned sneakers? I never did. I am a basic white sneaker gal though in my teens, i had a million pairs of tretorns with all different color wings.

So first I was smitten by these ... so much more girly than my normal but I thought they might be fun with white jeans?? Am I crazy??

And then I found these Draper James Tretorns which returned me to my love of the brand .. but I balked because TBH I think my grandmother may have worn something similar.

and in the end I ordered only these

Are the patterns ridiculous for a 59 yo woman? Should I reconsider the floral pair? Do I need to take an aspirin and a nap and restart my day as an adult? Give it to me straight!

Comments (63)

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Oh, I have colored running/exercise shoes -- but these will be "fashion sneakers" lol.. maybe an oxymoron but I have limitations in the shoes I can wear so if I am going to have fun, it's likely to be sneakers or flip flops. I don't need orthotics but I do need to be secure and solidly on the ground. I would wear these with jeans, cropped pants, etc.

I do and still will wear white keds and white supergas .. in fact, I just ordered crisp new, bright white in both.

Thanks for the encouragement! I was thinking you had to be under 12 or over 82 to wear them. I still haven't purchased the Draper James (they are actually navy) .. still thinking on them.

• bbstx
    last year

You want floral shoes? How about these? DD just bought them. Yes, the same DD that worries about pointed-toe shoes making her feet look big! 🙄

Funky, I like your light blue florals! I have classic Tretorns but with kelly green trim instead of your cute gingham!

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • Related Discussions

What do you wear when working in your garden?

Q

Comments (24)
    I have been using long pants (usually sweats) in the yard for the past 2 summers, and they really help with the mosquitoes (for some reason they go after my legs more than my arms). I haven't found a good shoe type. I don't want to wear boots and sandals do not do the job sometimes. I'll try crocs or something similar also. I recently started using nitrile gloves also. it feels good to be able to walk into the house with mostly clean hands, even though I know some people like working in bare hands. I don't mind but dirt under the finger nails is something I don't think too much about nowadays, after realizing that I am comfortable with the gloves doing yard work.
    ...See More

what shoes do you wear with your jeans?

Q

Comments (25)
    Yes, they are cool and I am totally cool when I wear them. I wish Boulet still made the same style. From day one they were comfortable, not stiff like most cowboy boots. I have had them for over 10 years - maybe 12 yrs? and just this year the leather is starting to tear over the right toe area. I don't think that is something that can be fixed. But you have to admit, considering I wear them year round, summertime too, that is a good long time for any shoe to last!
    ...See More

Do you wear shorts?

Q

Comments (56)
    Well, I don't have the nicest legs on the planet and not the worst either. I think they are a little to thin (hubby says no they're just fine) but they are shaped nice. I will wear shorts if I want to and don't care what anyone else thinks. I don't wear the short shorts. When I was younger, my dad said I was built like a Barbie doll. I had long slim legs a small waist and big chi chi's. I didn't know he said that until after he died then my mother told me. vique
    ...See More

Do You, Would You Wear This?

Q

Comments (34)
    I have yet to try it out. Like MTN, I feel my best look is tailored, so it may end up for my 5'8 daughter. I'm 5'5 , size 10, so not slim but this thing is very flattering. I'd wear it with slim- fit pants to a casual dinner .LOL westsider...before buying I did pause thinking just that! Oh, and at Nordstroms, I did see a robe thing in their Topshop dept. Similar to this in pale green, open, unbelted . Weird.
    ...See More
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Bbstx .. my youngest sister is 6 yr younger than me and her big memory of me as a teen is that I had tretorns in every color (and plaid). lol.

I have a pair with teal trim now .. and a leather pair with a gold wing but I prefer the canvas. Unlike my teens, I'll probably stop at the gingham. lol

Bbstx did you order the Ugg Sammy? Did they work out for you?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I like these! I also like vintage havanas.

Funkyart thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Those are adorable, Bumblebeez!

• bbstx
    last year

Funky, I *did* order the UGG Sammy in gray and in pink. I got them at DSW and had them shipped to the store. I’ve just rec’d notice that they are in. Tomorrow I’m picking them up.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last year

Saw thrse at Nordys tonight. Love Love, but not for me.

• hhireno
    last year

Months ago, I agonized over a pair of blue velvet Tretorns with blue satiny laces and IIRC the swoopy thing on side was silver. So impractical, so pretty, so fun. How I wanted them but could not justify buying them at whatever price they were. I rarely leave the house, where would I wear them? 😆 They’re the ones that got away, and I had managed to forget about them until now. I should go back to DSW and see if they are still there and any cheaper 🤞🏼. I still won’t have anywhere to wear them but my feet will look cute propped on the ottoman as I read a book. 📖

I love a white sneaker. I love a patterned sneaker. I dislike the hideous color combos of most running sneakers but I wear them anyway. I dislike rubber toe caps, like on a Converse, and won’t buy any brand with that.

• Bluebell66
    last year
    last modified: last year

They're all cute! I would definitely wear either of the gingham pair. Would be super cute with white or chambray jeans, or just about anything else.

HHireno! Your shoes are on sale! I love anything in navy so looked them up. :)

• salonva
    last year

I admire all the fancies and am in awe of your shoe wardrobes. I have a solid black pair of skechers which I really need to replace ( they are probably over 2 years old and used a lot for walking and some zumba). Somehow I feel that I'd like something to look a little updated, but I can't seem to decide on anything. I don't usually have a sneaker wardrobe so it's got to be very versatile. I will probably end up with another all black one but I do keep browsing.

Comfort is absolute key but it should be able to look "normal" on me.

• palimpsest
    last year

I have worn the same style of sneakers for about 35 years.

• Ally De
    last year

Funky my friend! I have several pairs of Tretorns, in various colors to match my wardrobe for that day. I never see anyone but me in Tretorns....so it makes sense that my twinsie likes them too. 😄😘

Hey, I am starting the implant process soon. Eek. Everyone keeps promising it won't hurt...🤷‍♀️

• OllieJane
    last year

Funky, I think you are much to young for them. They look "grandma" to me. By the clothes you have posted in the past, you are much too stylish for these. Just being honest and giving it to you straight.

• deegw
    last year

martinca, are those sneakers Farm Rio? I love almost all their stuff - clothes and shoes- but it's too wild for me to pull off. Every time I try something on I look like I am playing dress up.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Funky, I think you you should go for the floral sneaks for sure, and the Tretorns too. The floral sneaks would be great with white jeans or even a white skirt.

• jill302
    last year

Love the idea of patterned sneakers. I used to own a couple of pairs, one pair was a gift and the other I thought I would be able to "break in", both Keds which apparently don't work for me. Maybe I should try again with another brand, love the gingham.

• Kswl
    last year

Funky, I am beginning to think my wardrobe is very boring. I have three pair of sneakers, two gray and one white, Superga and some scandinavian brand.

I like your gingham shoes very much!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your feedback!

For those of you who have issues with keds (SueB, Jill302 .. and anyone else I can't remember), I find that the collaborations with Kate Spade and Rifle Paper tend to run smaller and more narrow. Classic canvas keds work best for me and Ive also learned that dropping half a size and getting the wide width makes them even better if i will be wearing them all day or doing a lot of walking. Keds aren't any great fashion achievement LOL.. but they are so easy and I find i am so much lighter on my feet in them. Call me crazy, but I keep both regular width and wide width based on what I will be doing that day.

Pal, I have worn basically the same styles for 50 yr.. a running shoe, a tennis (flat) shoe and keds. The only addition in all these years is the slipon style I started wearing last year.

Hhireno, go for it-- what is on our feet can make us happy in more ways than one. :)

Ally De -- indeed! I don't see many wearing tretorns either but they have been in stores again for the last few years. I used to match them to my outfit-- well, I guess I still do but I just don't have the selection anymore, nor do i wear them every day anymore. I was not a fashionista in high school-- but my tretorn game was good! Best wishes for your dental work-- let me know if you have any questions. I am not going to tell you it doesn't hurt-- but it was much less than I expected and very manageable.

KSWL - I love them too. I am hoping they will work with my black linen crops. We'll see.. they will definitely work with white jeans. The same style with black gingham wing comes in a mule -- but I couldn't find them in my size. I got them at either Saks or Saks Off Fifth.

Ida - I have customized both converse and vans for my nieces and nephews over the years. Converse are just too flat for me these days and Vans never fit me well. The kids (when they were kids) loved them! Your horsey converse are fun!

OllieJane - I appreciate your honest opinion! I had that concern also ... but while I get a wild hair every once in awhile, I am pretty classic when it comes to shoes. Preppy even. I also love penny loafers lol.. though I prefer the classic style in unusual colors.

Sorry I am not responding to each post ... but I've read them all and appreciate them all!

I did purchase the white tretorns with gingham wing .. and also the floral superga. I am thinking I'll even keep the ribbon laces as I think they're fun. We'll see lol. I can already see my sister rolling her eyes.

I think I am done looking/buying sneakers for now. I shouldn't buy one shoe of any kind until I find a better storage solution.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last year

Dee, I believe they are Free People, a brand Im often attracted to, but not fot myself.

• User
    last year

I try to have somewhat of a capsule wardrobe -- which means shoes that go with everything. I was recently tempted by these grey camo Rothys, which I feel would look great with most of my simple clothes. sadly, they were too narrow for me :(

Funkyart thanked User
  • bbstx
    last year

Funky, I picked up the UGG Sammy shoes today. They are cute! Regretfully, they are not for me. I need more cushiness.

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • Tina Marie
    last year

TBH, the only time in warm weather that I wear sneakers is walking or other exercise. In colder weather I do wear them with yoga pants, athletic/leisure wear, etc. I wear mostly black sneakers; the past year or so I have bought 2 different pair of sketchers slip on (backless) - both are black lol. I like those that BBSTX shared and the grey camo ones Seattle shared. TBH I do think the ones you shared might be a bit "mature" looking, but then again, maybe with the right outfit . . . I can totally see the last pair of tretorns on the tennis court.

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

LOL, Tina! "mature is not the look I am going for. That said, I don't dress or act mature .. hoping I can pull them off. If not, I will return!

@bbstx, sorry they didn't work out for you. Hope it isn't a hassle to return! I find them very comfortable -- but now I fear I am missing out! What are you wearing that is "cushier"??? I am all about the comfy!

• Lars
    last year

I have white (Tretorn) tennis shoes, and I also have gold mylar sneakers that have gold lamé shoe laces. I have some high top sneakers that are a rainbow mylar. I would not wear these if I did not have small feet. I have some other shoes that are similar to sneakers that are covered with black sequins and have three rhinestones each on the top of the fronts of the shoes. They look like something Michael Jackson might have worn.

It is easy to find very interesting shoes in Los Angeles.

Funkyart thanked Lars
  • bbstx
    last year

Funky, it probably didn’t help that I have been wearing my ON Clouds a lot. They are very cushy, but a totally different look. By comparison, almost any shoe is going to be less cushy.

And, it may just be my feet. I have a pair of navy blue Cole Haan 2.Zerogrand Stitchlite oxfords that I love for travel. I wanted the same shoe in black. I went through at least 3 pair of the black shoes and could not find a pair as soft feeling as the navy blue.

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • gsciencechick
    last year

Another one who never wears white sneakers. i have gray New Balance and then I have Steve Madden black sneaker booties. I’ve never found anything comfortable for a non athletic sneaker. They’re usually too thin on the bottom.

Funkyart thanked gsciencechick
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Bbstx, I bought my niece a pair of On Cloud sneakers when she starting getting sore knees/legs at workn (she does marketing for a farm market/nursery but is on her feet a lot giving tours, etc). I have been really tempted to give them a try ... but I don't really need them.

GS, I definitely select athletic sneakers differently than fashion sneakers ... and for me and my unique set of issues (ohhh so many issues lol), the thin bottoms work really well for me. I feel "in touch" with the ground. I am much more sprightly and light on my feet in the keds and Ugg slipons. Superga has a thicker and firmer sole so not as sprightly.

• Sueb20
    last year

Saw these on the plane this morning! Love them. Are they Adidas??

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Those are so cute! Yes, they look like adidas and i think I saw them on either Nordstrom or Sak's site. I wonder if they'll look as good on a big foot too??

• lascatx
    last year

I love classic white sneakers but haven't worn them lately (got bored). I would wear patterned sneakers if I could find them in 12s. Closest I come is TOMS espadrilles and I do wear those in patterns. The B&W combos are crisp and classic, but new -- I'm pretty sure my grandmother never wore or even imagined wearing anything like that.

I like the floral and the sheer laces, but I'd probably do a different lace with the floral. The idea is perfect but the sheer blue doesn't seem like the right color in the photo. IRL, maybe?

• User
    last year

@Sueb20 yes! Adidas leopard sneakers

Re: white shoes: I haven't worn white shoes since middle school. They never went with my "alternative/slightly gothy" looks when I was younger, and even today I still prefer dark colors. The closest I get are thick white soles, which tend to get dirty and I let it go way too long between cleanings, lol.

@gsciencechick - I have tons of non-athletic shoes that (I think) are very comfy -- my metric being "must be able to walk ten miles in them". My current fav is Naturalizer's slip on sneakers, and their sneaker boots. Mainly because they come in wide width, but also because the rubber sole is nice and thick. I also replace the insoles with ones that have better arch support, like hiking insoles from REI.

• Sueb20
    last year

Seattle, thanks! On sale too! I ordered them!

• OllieJane
    last year

Sue, I have those LOL And VERY comfy! They have a roomy toe.

• salonva
    last year

Wait a minute I love those leopard ones and just looked on the A river site and it looks like they are $38.08 with free returns? Is it not the same shoe????

it says adidas Originals Women's Swift Running Shoe ( Amaz's choice)....

• OllieJane
    last year

salonva, yes, those are the one's in the pic and the ones I have, from Amazon.

• Sueb20
    last year

Hmm I see them on Amz for $66.

They were $50-something on Adidas site.

• salonva
    last year

maybe this link will work? we can try 38.08

I am wondering if this is the same or I am not seeing well?? I can try to message you Sue

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

The price changes based on the size (and the color)... it is less on the Adidas site for my size (10).

I am not a fan of black sneakers-- never have been unless it is black with turquoise or pink or something... but i do kind of like the leopard (but i do not need more shoes.. do not need shoes.. do not need shoes!)

FWIW I really like adidas ...

• gsciencechick
    last year

So it looks like with the Adidas they say I’d need a 6.5 vs my usual 7.5 in New Balance. Are they international sizes or somthing like that. I might order them.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

PSA .. at least a few people liked the B&W gingham tretorns. They are on sale now at Saks for $37 + an extra 20% off. (I paid full price for mine, darn it!)

If you haven't worn tretorn before, know they run large. I went down 1/2 size as usual but could probably have gone down a full size.

The pink gingham is also on sale -- I was tempted but passed. I already have a number of casual pink shoes/sandals.

• Sueb20
    last year

I got the spotty Adidas in my usual size and they fit just right.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Fun!

I wouldn't mind sneakers with an animal print stripe ... but I refuse to look for a pair. I have more than enough (until tomorrow when I stumble on a cute pair!)

• Irish2
    last year

Just ordered the white w/black gingham…i took your advice and went down in size. TY

Funkyart thanked Irish2
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Hope you enjoy them!

• Irish2
    last year

@Funkyart My Tretorns arrived today and I just put them on ❤️

I’m glad I took your advice and sized down.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Glad to hear -- do you like them?

I am not sure I will actually wear the floral loveshackfactory sneakers with the ribbon lol.. they are very cute .. so maybe one day. I must have been in a super girly day. :)

• jane__ny
    last year

I have very skinny, flat feet, and live in sneakers. It's hard to find narrow in sneakers.

I now live in Florida and everything is sandy making white impossible to keep clean. I would love some of the sneakers posted and patterns. I have mostly Sketchers but find them too wide for my feet. I also need arch support as my feet are flat.

I love working outdoors in sneakers and walking the dog. I need the support when walking.

Love those designs!

• lascatx
    last year

Jane, try a pair of Rothy's or Cariuma IBI sneakers in the knit fabric. I have a pair of the Rothy's slip ons and was just looking at the Cariuma -- they have them in Pantone colors (including Viva Magenta) as well as some prints. But Rothy's can be machine washed (cold -- too warm can cause them to shrink) and the recycled plastic thread they use shouldn't hold onto dirt even in white. I haven't washed my sneakers yet, but I have washed other Rothy's flats and that's why I decided to get the sneakers - white that should stay white.

• Irish2
    last year

@Funkyart Yes I do like them…meaning how they look on my size 10 feet! I have not worn white sneakers since Reebocks were in style

and @ that they were mostly ”high tops”

told you I’m of a certain age 😉

Hoping they will be comfy to wear with my athleisure wear for my exercise classes etc.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!