SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smile872

Counter depth fridge that can fit a pizza box?

S H
last year

So my husband fiercely wants a full depth fridge, citing reasons like being able to fit a pizza box (which we only order a couple of times a year šŸ™„). I am set on counter depth for style and because I feel like we already lose items in the back with a counter depth one now. Iā€™m open to a wider fridge if we want more total space, but he keeps going back to that darn pizza box.

We are doing a full kitchen remodel down to the studs due to a burst pipe, so current state is not a factor. Price is not a huge factor either, willing to go up to the sub-zero options. We may have too many pipes to be able to cheat and recess a full-size fridge.

Does anyone have a counter depth fridge that due to configuration is able to fit a large pizza box? Other ideas or advice?

Sincerely,
A couple at a standstill

Comments (73)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Many of these comments are essentially telling you how manage your take out and admonishing your partner. If someone wants to store pizza in a box and this is a deal breaker thatā€™s totally fine. I standby my statement that you should take a box with you to the appliance showroom then. There is no reason you canā€™t end up with a great fridge that holds a pizza box!

• Mrs Pete
    last year

Random thoughts:

- Since this is a sticking point, when you go to buy your refrigerator, take an empty pizza box with you. It'll cut down on speculation about what will /won't fit.

- You say you're doing a down-to-the-studs remodel. What lies behind the spot where you're placing the fridge? Could you plan a small "indent" in the refrigerator spot /"recess" your fridge a bit so it would appear to be a counter-depth model but would actually be a full-sized refrigerator?

- Wrapping your leftover pizza in foil (which makes it warm-up ready) will be the cheapest option.

• Related Discussions

Can u explain the difference b/t counter-depth & buit-in fridge?

Q

Comments (5)
    Counter depth is a marketing term that generally means the fridge is 24" deep BUT that can be just the box or include box and door. A friend of mine wound up with a "counter depth" fridge, built in, that really was 33" deep and stuck out from the cabinets like a brute because the spec sheet did not include the measurement with the door. Built in fridges don't have finished sides, get bolted to the cabinets and can take a front panel or not. Non built in fridges have finished sides and can be installed to look like built ins even when they are not. Older fridges were something like 63-68" tall and about 33" deep. Because counter depth fridges have less depth, they must be taller. My Viking is about 83" tall. Before buying, it's best to go see the various fridges and check the spec sheets so you know what's needed. Some require clearance on the side for the door swing and others do not. In addition to the spec sheets, I'd take a look at the design guide, too.
    ...See More

Counter Depth Fridge vs Standard Depth

Q

Comments (22)
    I just bought and installed the KitchenAid counter depth french door fridge. Not the supersized one. I chose it for a couple of reasons bur primarily because it was one of the few I could get without a water dispenser in the front door (though there is a discreet one inside the fridge). I hated the fact that the counter depth added about a $1000 to the price tag and worried that I would not feel the aesthetic advantage justified that price difference once I got it since I was trying to be very frugal in my purchases. I was so wrong. I am crazy about this fridge. The bottom freezer holds everything my old full depth freezer did except I can see it all so easy in the lighted space with 3 slide out layers. I can see everything I have when I open the french doors. Nothing hard to get at. Nothing out of sight. The door shelves hold tons of stuff too. I like that the sides are gray....not black...so if some of the side had to show it would blend fairly well with the stainless. Mine will not show as there will be a full panel of cabinet wood covering both sides (cabinets arrive in 2 wks). I'm having an open shelf/cubby above it to hold cookbooks. Buy this unit with confidence.
    ...See More

Will this "true counter depth" Liebherr fridge fit?

Q

Comments (7)
    DamaskDi -- I owned a 30" Liebherr refrigerator with bottom freezer that was enclosed in a partition against a wall. The space had less clearance on one side than your space. The fridge has 0 clearance doors and opened against the wall. However, to be absolutely sure you want to check the specification sheet for the refrigerator. That will give you accurate information -- the information you need, not inaccurate speculation. I've linked the Design Guide below. Look for the model number. The fridge depth is 24-1/4. For semi-built in it will need some clearance at the top for ventilation -- they will tell you how much to leave but as I recall it is a minimum of 2 or 3 inches. If you have any doubts, call the company and ask. In any event I would call and ask them about installing a refrigerator next to ovens (usually not recommended but often seen) and be sure it is done properly. Check the location needed for the plug and the ice maker as well. There is a note about door clearance which will be needed to open the crispers inside. The doors have a 145 degree swing. Do yourself a favor and use the spec sheet -- there are other design guides as well. I would always call the company to verify those and be sure nothing has changed. Here is a link that might be useful: Liebherr Design Guide
    ...See More

24''deep counters meet 30'' deep 'counter-depth' fridge...

Q

Comments (9)
    Sincere thanks to everyone who posted threads and pics to help the spatially challenged! Sombreuil and Cawfeegirl, your kitchens are beautiful! The wall into which our fridge would have to be recessed is on the exterior of the house, and we live in a pretty cold climate, so the whole concept may be a non-starter. We may have to make the style of handle a bigger issue than something like that should ever be, just trying not to protrude any further than necessary. Either that, or it's back to the drawing board to reconfigure the design yet again!
    ...See More
  • 3katz4me
    last year

Why would you not have a fridge cabinet constructed that is deep enough to accommodate a full-size fridge? You don't have to fill it to the back but when you need the space you'll have it. My counters are 24" deep and my fridge surround is 30". It accommodates a full-size fridge perfectly. Just the doors extend beyond the cabinetry (2.5 inches) which is necessary so they can open fully. I never understand why so many kitchen fridge surrounds are only cabinet depth. There are only two of us and we could never get by with a cabinet depth fridge.

• mcarroll16
    last year

So much focus on the pizza issue, when it seems pretty likely that the husband is using pizza as a stand-in for some other anxiety. Which could be any number of things. Remodeling is so stressful, especially if it's unplanned and coming on the heels of a plumbing disaster. Stress-fixating on random details is how some people cope.

If husband's worry is actually related to fridge capacity, is it an option to go with a 42" counter-depth fridge?

• palimpsest
    last year
    last modified: last year

Unless the pizza has something weird on it, you could leave the box on the counter for a couple days and eating the pizza still wouldn't kill you.

• Marie J.
    last year

I have a counter depth Frigidaire french door fridge and the space available for a pizza box is just short of 16ā€. ETA: I occasionally buy those refrigerated pizzas you bake at home and I donā€™t recall an issue with it not fitting.

• beesneeds
    last year

What's the size of a pizza box? We almost never order one, but the places we do order from they come in different sizes. Years ago when I was still single a small-medium pizza could fit in my apartment sized frige. I see frozen ones in the store that are huge and probably would need a bigger fridge to store it.

Ask for a clean empty box from the pizza place and take it to the store with you to try it out. Or get a piece of posterboard and trace out the box next time you order one and take it in with you.

• S H
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the continued comments, especially the extra empathetic ones. This flood destroyed all 3 floors of our home on Christmas Eve. We didnā€™t plan for this, but trying to make the best of it. Iā€™m handling everything, and the only thing in the whole house my husband has said is important to him in the fridge set up. Iā€™m trying to make him happy because I think itā€™s important in a marriage, even if I donā€™t share his perspective. We had a lovely fully integrated, counter depth thermador fridge before that came with the house, and the thought of having a fridge stick out in a six figure kitchen is not an option to me.

Another comment hit it on the head that itā€™s more about him feeling like there is adequate and deep enough storage than pizza. To me, a wider fridge solves that, but heā€™s still concerned about depth. Iā€™m hoping to show him that not all counter depths are the same, so I asked for personal experience for a starting place. FYI, a bunch of plumbing for the master bath backs up to the only wall in the kitchen, so Iā€™ve been told it would be very expensive to work around all the pipes there to recess a fridge. We do have a fridge in our basement, but letā€™s just say that the same person who doesnā€™t want to wrap pizza in foil also doesnā€™t want to store leftovers on a different level. Also, itā€™s part of a second full kitchen, and itā€™s counter depth.

It sounds like a few folks are very happy with the ability to arrange within a Bosch, so Iā€™ll definitely be checking out that option. Still welcoming additional brands/models that could meet our needs, regardless of how silly they seem.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I always move leftover pizz to a plate why would I order pizza and then put it in the fridge in the box , don'y you eat some of it? I have had counter deph fridges for over 20 yrs and honestly have no problem with storage.

• artemis78
    last year

Can you put in another integrated fridge? That would give you an entirely different set of options.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I must be missing something. You have a counter depth refrigerator now. You are renovating the whole home and the one thing in this massive renovation that your husband has pushed is the fact that he wants a full size refrigerator, not counter depth. You don't want the fridge sticking out. Because there is a bathroom behind the fridge you can't recess the fridge on into the bathroom walls.

We are talking inches. Have the rest of the wall built out 4 inches or have the lower cabinets pulled forward 4 inches and have a deeper counter on the refrigerator wall. Yes, this will make the overall kitchen 4" narrower, but shouldn't be impossible.

6 figure kitchen, full home reno, I think someone has figure out how to accommodate your husband's one ask.

• loobab
    last year

Or, can't the refrigerator be put in a place where it is not backing up to all that bathroom plumbing?

I think this is not simply about pickig the right model of fridge, I think this needs some bona fide kitchen planning as Jennifer Hogan is advising.

Get thee a certified kitchen planner!

• just_janni
    last year

Depending on where your fridge is - could you bump out the rest of the cabinets to give you some extra deep counters to match your full depth fridge? That won't muck with the plumbing

I COMPLETELY understand this issue. You have to know which hill to die on.

Keep thinking about creative options.

• 3onthetree
    last year

Give the dude the benefit of the doubt. I often hear a requirement from, ahem, certain partners of a house that thinks about the size of refrigerators, that it fit a sheetcake.

And I'll raise the ante of debate and say I prefer pizza slices in squares.

• roarah
    last year

I hated having a counter depth fridge so I get your husbandā€™s fears. I now have a full depth one on its own wall surrounded by a thirty inch cabinet and am so happy I did this. It looks cabinet depth and I no longer need to keep a second fridge running for the over flow that did not fit in my counter depth.

• ptreckel
    last year

Take you husband AND a pizza box to the appliance store! BTW, I WISH I had taken my big sheets to the appliance store when I bought my wall oven. Just sayingā€¦.

• 3katz4me
    last year

Why are you stuck on having a cabinet depth refrigerator and not considering a 30" fridge cabinet surround so you can have a full depth refrigerator? Bathroom location has nothing to do with deeper cabinetry and it has no impact on adjacent cabinet depth.

• S H
    Original Author
    last year

I do think weā€™d have the space to do a deeper counter/cabinet. Does anyone have picture examples of where theyā€™ve done this? Does it matter if the cooktop and wall ovens are on the same cabinet wall? We only have one ~13ā€™ wall (and an island) to work with.

Hereā€™s the that wall in the former, damaged kitchen in case it sparks more fridge solutions. I already plan to go down to one wall oven with the advantium 5 in 1 above it instead of the double oven and built in microwave, and then do an induction cooktop with no range. Why the former owner needed 3 ovens (plus another in the full kitchen in the basement) is beyond me!

• S H
    Original Author
    last year

While we never would have torn our a perfectly good kitchen, we do think thereā€™s a lot of opportunity to optimize it better (and the color combos always drove me a bit crazy, but thankfully we hadnā€™t invested to change any of that yet)

• S H
    Original Author
    last year

We would have to deepen the wall by the ovens, which currently aligns to the wall for the breakfast area, so Iā€™m not sure how off that would or wouldnā€™t look.

Side note, take pictures of your house before a disaster might occur.

• asterales
    last year

I have a Frigidaire Gallery counter depth which is several years old that can fit an 18" square pizza box.

• artemis78
    last year

You might check out the new LG fridge that someone posted on the other refrigerator thread--it's called counter-depth but actually needs a 27" deep opening. It has more interior capacity than a counter-depth designed for a 24"/25" opening, and less than a full depth that needs 30". I wonder if that would hit the sweet spot for you? It looks like you'd have room along that wall to pull everything out a few inches to fit something like that (even if you just use standard cabinetry and bump it out from the wall).

Totally separately, your old fridge placement would have made me nuts since you'd have to walk across the oven and stove to find a counter to place things on. If you keep the general layout the same, I'd still reconfigure that space to try to have counter on both sides of the stove and adjacent to the refrigerator.

• roarah
    last year

How do you like your present fridge? It looks like a built in not counterdepth. I have a full depth surrounded by deeper cabinets but it is not adjacent to counters. This is my inexpensive 36 deep fridge in a 30inch surround

In a cabinet run a standard fridge in a 30 inch surround would look like this

vs a counter depth that looks like this where the cabinets are flush but fridge door often stick out sometimes at least six inches from the counters to open properly.

Your current fridge has a more integrated built in look, which for me I prefer to counter depth for at least the lack of space is sacrificed for a great look.

• S H
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, that built in microwave placement was the worst! Thatā€™s why one will be above a single wall oven moving forward, so we can gain counter space there.

I did really like the look of the fully integrated fridge, and nothing about the usable space was a deal breaker for me. Obviously, my husband does not feel the same. Ideally, Iā€™d love to go to panel ready, but that seems potentially to be even more shallow.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

The new refrigerators of what ever kind hold more than the old one, even ones from just a few years ago. Go to where ever you get pizza from and ask them for an unused box for the largest size size you would order.

I suspect that your current fridge is the one he has had problems with and he thinks that it is because it is flush, which is why he wants a full depth.

Put in the widest fridge you can work out a space for. Preshop and then take him and the pizza box to check the ones you like.

He has only asked for one thing and even if none of us would leave the pizza in the box, I think he should have what he wants.

If you have to lose a cabinet to get a wider counter depth that holds his pizza box, that is what I would do.

Sorry about the flood. Hang in there.

• User
    last year

Ok, so I get that it's more about a pizza box. your husband is mainly using that as a size template, right? how many other things are actually that big? the biggest thing we put in the fridge on a regular basis is a large cookie sheet, or occasionally a turkey in a roasting dish. a pizza box is bigger than that, and of course it was already stated a bazillion times that pizza can be stored in a smaller container. I think he's being irrational and getting stuck on one really inane detail.

I'd be more worried about organization. like with our fridge, you can't fit a normal size pitcher on any of the shelves unless you remove one shelf entirely. every time we want to put a pitcher of iced tea in the fridge, we have to clear everything out one of the door caddies. super inconvenient. also, I won't go into it, but there's just something about the organization of the fridge in general that's insanely bad (compared to anything I've ever had before). so that's a big thing I'm going to be looking for in the next fridge.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

I have the sister to the LG frig that has been mentioned a few times. Mine has the 2 freezer drawers. We had always had sxs and were staunch supporters of them. We are tall and they worked for us being able to see everything at a glance and not having to stoop to get in the freezer.

First world problems--ice maker and a freezer bin broke on sxs. Good enough reason to replace the old frig. We looked around and decided on that LG. OMG!! We didn't know we could love a frig. Super spacious inside with the 3 full shelves, door bins are big. Water is on the inside of the frig, ice inside the top drawer. The freezer is much smaller than the sxs but we have a freezer in the basement. Yes we bend to get into the freezer but we have changed our eating habits so we aren't in there that much,

Go look at it, I think it would meet his needs.

• deltashark
    last year

This was an issue for me when we had a Sub Zero at a previous home. The pizza box is a storage device; so, we changed devices. Use a plate, small sheet pan, or individually wrap slices. Alternatively, order a medium. Donā€™t let a piece of cardboard come between you and good design.

• loobab
    last year

I would like to say about deep fridges- I used to say deep fridges are great, you can get more in them.

However, with the onset of senescence and all that brings...

It is more difficult to bend over to get in the back of the fridge.

Yes, that is why the Lord invented Lazy Susans, but not everything fits well on them.

It might be a good choice to think about a refrigerator that is not so deep but that is wide so you have just as much storage.

That does not solve your pizza box problem though, and I do understand that your husband wants just one thing and you want to accommodate him.

As I said earlier, maybe a talented, experienced certified kitchen designer can figure out how to set back your deep refrigerator into a wall somewhere in the kitchen in a place you haven't thought of.

As to the design by the former owners-

Maybe they wanted wall ovens so they wouldn't have to bend over to put things in or take them out, and the third oven just came with the range top as a stove unit and wasn't used much, they just got a good deal on the whole thing?

Maybe the downstairs kitchen was for the possibility of an in-law suite, in case an older child came back home to live, etc.

Maybe they kept kosher and wanted ovens for meat and dairy cooking.

Although the design there is not so great, there is no space that I see next to the refrigerator to set anything down, and what's worse, there is that wall jutting out.

I like some counter next to a refrigerator for loading and unloading, unless you have an island opposite.

The current kitchen design makes no sense in other respects.

My experience as a right-handed (amateur) cook is:

Facing the sink, your cutting board should be on your left.

Additionally, it makes more sense for the refrigerator to be to your left or behind you to your left so you are bringing things in one direction.

Then the next direction should be your range top which should be to the right, so you are carrying what you prepared at the sink/cutting board to the stove.

You could store cutting boards on the right and left of the sink, with storage slots down below to keep the meat and vegetable cutting boards separate so you aren't potentially getting salmonella all over your cut fruit.

Also, I am not sure how practical that fancy wood is to directly cut on.

Do you cut on it?

I never would! And it seems very high maintenance, needing frequent oiling, Unless you could put a sealing on it like on boats.

You could make an absolutely gorgeous table out of it. Maybe even one with leaves.

If you don't need one for your dining room, you could use outdoors after it is sealed, or in your auxiliary kitchen!!

It would also make fantastic serving boards for cheese and hors d'oeuvres.

• S H
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much, loobab for your thoughtful comment. Some great tips in there.

We did not cut directly in the butcher block, and it was hard to wipe down, and you couldnā€™t put anything too hot or cold or wet on it. Definitely do not recommend for a kitchen. It did not make it through the water damage in any reusable capacity, so itā€™s gone now, and we will be going with stone.

• S H
    Original Author
    last year

In case anyone was on the edge of their seat wondering how this played out, we decided to go with the 48ā€ sub zero French door, panel ready. We drove over an hour to get to the biggest showroom we could, and I think my husband finally believed me that counter depth is now the standard when not one single fridge in the whole giant showroom was full depth. I think heā€™s still a little hesitant, but I also think that seeing how giant we could go width wise helped quell fears about having to rearrange whenever he wanted to put something else in the fridge. Thanks, all, for the advice. Now fingers crossed that we can actually receive a sub zero on a reasonable timeline (less than 6 months would be stellar).

• darbuka
    last year

Thatā€™s great! You wonā€™t regret spending the $$$$ on superior refrigeration, longevity, reliability, and customer service.

Just a point of clarificationā€¦SubZeros are not counter depthā€¦their units are either built-in, or integrated. So-called counter depth models, actually stick out beyond the counters, in order for the doors to open. SZ uses special hinges, that enable the doors to open despite aligning with the counter, or a run of cabinetry.

• typeandrun
    last year

just an idea ....what we did. My contractor (hubs) was able to frame out the back side of the recessed area where our full size depth fridge is placed. So the fridge is recessed further in, so it appears like it is a counter depth. The wall is non-bearing.

• Lucille Williams
    last year

I have a Fisher Paykel.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

I did not read the whole thread, but I would hit my husband over the head with a roll of aluminum foil if he based his appliance purchasing criteria on the size of a pizza box. Glad you got a nice fridge OP!!

• davisrs123
    8 months ago

Several people here have mentioned this new 27 inch LG fridge. Can someone provide a model number?

• Jane
    8 months ago

in one house i have a ge somehting..side by counter depth and shpce in pizza boxes all the time.. (when you order more than one its easiest to consilidate into one box)

• artemis78
    8 months ago

Some months later, I can also add that the Bosch can indeed take a very large pizza box! The shelf configuration on the door allows for things to project into that space, which works nicely for things like the extra large pizza boxes that our new neighborhood pizza joint uses.

• Rachel
    8 months ago

This is a photograph from my old kitchen in a house I sold 2 years ago. When we built this house in 1994, we had a brand new full-depth sxs fridge that we wanted to take with us. This entire run of cabinets is extra-deep to allow for the fridge. The cabinets under the pass through were very deep, and sometimes difficult to reach the back. I'm not sure this was the best solution, but it is what we did at the time.

• bry911
    8 months ago

Thank you for once again clarifying how you feel about this. I was personally still a bit fuzzy after you said the exact same thing several other timesā€¦

People are allowed to spend their money how they want. I donā€™t understand why my wife spends so much money on shoes to match one particular outfit that she doesnā€™t wear that often, but I donā€™t need to understandā€¦ she has the right and should do it.

People often focus on one particular and largely unimportant detail to the exclusion of others. On this particular site I have seen people use dovetail drawers as a sign of quality. Dovetail drawers were a sign of quality 100 years ago when people were hand cutting dovetails. Today they are just a way for cabinet manufacturers to charge a lot extra for a cumulative 15 minutes of work. Yet so many people establish that as a criteria for quality. At least fitting a pizza box has a chance at utility.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    8 months ago

But if you don't like what Jan likes??????

• M Miller
    8 months ago

@Sherry8aNorthAL regulars on this forum know that disagreeing with Jan Moyer is like saying Voldemort's name out loud (anyone who said his name could be instantly located by the Death Eaters).

• M Miller
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

"This entire run of cabinets is extra-deep to allow for the fridge. The cabinets under the pass through were very deep, and sometimes difficult to reach the back."

@Rachel it's good that you brought up this alternative solution with a full-depth fridge to avoid it protruding from the adjacent cabinetry. What has changed from that 1994 kitchen design is that people now have the counter be extra deep, and the base cabinets underneath it be standard depth of 24", but pulled away from the wall the additional inches. This accomplishes two things - (1) avoids the issue you mention of difficulty reaching the back, and (2) does not incur the big upcharge for extra deep base cabinets. It should be noted that this design would need the uppers to be 15" deep rather than the standard 12" deep. In addition, people today would install mostly drawers instead of the cabinet doors your 1994 kitchen had. I am saying all this in case people reading this thread are looking for design ideas for installing a full-depth fridge.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    8 months ago

I read a lot, very seldom comment because of that mindset, which is shared by several "pros". Taking pro tongue-in-cheek, since a real pro would not be nasty.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    8 months ago

Sherry I have to assume some of the pros on this forum donā€™t tell their clients they post often here or hope they donā€™t see. Perhaps they are also kinder in person that here. Itā€™s shocking at times.

• darbuka
    8 months ago

Adding to what @M Miller said, Rachelā€™s 1994 kitchen also has a gas cooktop on such a skinny island, that wouldnā€™t pass code in many places nowadays. Additionally, the gas cooktop lacks a vent hood aboveā€¦we now know how unhealthy that isā€¦for a homeā€™s health, and especially the occupants.

The point is, there are many changes in the way things are done in 2023, compared to 1994. That includes the choices in refrigeration, and cabinetry.

• Anne Duke
    8 months ago

I would not ruin my kitchen with a full depth refrigerator. And yes, there are times I miss the full depth, butā€¦

• WestCoast Hopeful
    8 months ago

I bet there is a fan that pops up in that island gas stove.

• Rachel
    8 months ago

@westcoast hopeful, you are correct! The cooktop and telescopic down draft were by Dacor which at this time, had exceptional build quality. This was an expensive installation, and it was properly vented outside. This was not the most functional solution. As you may remember, placing a cooktop in the island was very en trend in the 1990s. In my current new build, the cooktop is on the perimeter!