SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

My travelogue…Nashville

Sueb20
last year

We went to Nashville for a few days, mainly to see Buddy Guy at the Ryman (my xmas gift to DH) but also just to play. DH had never been; I was there 7-8 years ago. So much has changed since then, sooo much new construction still going on. We saw live music at every meal except breakfast. We walked many miles each day but ate way too much. And wth, it was freezing cold the whole time! I just love all the murals…I wish all cities would do this.

Comments (28)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

This was in a ladies’ room.

• salonva
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks- I was there only one time, about 10 years ago and loved it. It sure looks like it's changed so much since then. Love your photos.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I was there once on business which is like not being there at all...

• Springroz
    last year

We were there on Sunday!! Love the artsy pictures!

• Kswl
    last year

We have several Nashville connections… I lived there during preschool and kindergarten when my father was in graduate school at Vanderbilt. One of our sons got his first job out of college in Nashville at a software company, and two of our nephews went to Vandy. I have only spent time there as an adult helping my son move into a house and twice when DD competed in the Irish dancing North American Championships. From my point of view it was just…exhausting 😎 We will be visiting next May for nephew’s graduation and I hope to actually see some of the city.

• Jilly
    last year

Great pictures! Glad you had a good time. :)

I love Nashville (Memphis, too) … and love Buddy Guy!

• Tina Marie
    last year

Nashville is such a busy, busy city! Living in a small town, I get a little overwhelmed in the big cities! It is really bustling there. We were there last spring as we stayed in a nearby state park that has a lodge we love with rooms over the lake. We will probably be back down that way this summer. Nashville is about 3.5 hours from us. I like very few country music performers so we don't do so much of the music. I love some of the old stores where the performers started out in the "back rooms". LOL @Sueb20 spring is always up and down in Tennessee and although we have alot blooming, it's not fully here yet. We have been very cold this past weekend but back up in the 70's tomorrow. I have several plants I am growing in my sunroom right now till I can plant. I'm itching to get in the dirt!

• Funkyart
    last year

Sounds like a great trip and love the murals!

How was Buddy Guy? I think he was in his 70s the last time I saw him and he was amazing and full of energy! I still want to make one of the stops on this tour but haven't committed to one yet.

• Irish2
    last year

Great photos Sueb! Murals are great.

We hope to get to Nashville someday soon.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Tina, I am not much of a country music fan either, but there is much more than just country music in Nashville these days. We were impressed at the quality of music we heard, all for free except for the Ryman show.

Funky, Buddy Guy was great. DH was beside himself. I had never even heard his music before but I enjoyed it too. He’s still quite an entertainer at age 86!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Sounds like a fun trip! I've not been to Nashville for years but it seems to be on the upswing for tourism.

• deegw
    last year

What a great present for your DH! Love all the murals. Is DH still the photographer of the family or are those your shots? Did you have any memorable meals?

• gsciencechick
    last year

I love all the murals! I had a conference once at the Opryland hotel, I used to give workshops at one of the local hospitals--neither of these really allowed much exploration of the area, DH and I went maybe 7 or so years ago for a Buffalo Bills football excursion. The trip itself was awful, but we really loved Nashville and the live music scene. Many rock musicians now live there because of the music scene in general.

• Jilly
    last year

Peter Frampton lives there now and is in a relationship with his interior designer. :D

• bbstx
    last year

Reading this from Nashville!!!

• hhireno
    last year

Reading this from Nashville!!!

How is Peter?

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Nice gift and looks like an interesting place! Love your photos too.

• Tina Marie
    last year

Yes, I realize there is more variety in music there now. Still, I don't think I could sit through a night at the Grand Old Opry per se, although it and the Ryman should be seen. Someone mentioned the Opryland Hotel, it should be seen during the holiday season. The Christmas decorations are beautiful. We haven't driven down for that though in several years. If you are in the area, take a drive to Franklin and Leipers Fork. Both not far from Nashville. PS I've never heard of Buddy Guy!?

• gigitn
    last year

I live here, and the amount of growth we've seen in the past 10-15 years is insane. Nashville went from a sleepy little town to a huge city. If you blindfolded me and dropped me off on any street downtown I wouldn't be able to tell you where I was when the blindfold came off. The cost of living has exploded, housing prices are through the roof and traffic is a challenge. But it's still a wonderful place to live and to visit!

• gigitn
    last year

Waving hi to bbstx!!

• rubyclaire
    last year

Sounds like you all had a great trip!

And is bbstx having an affair with Peter Frampton???

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Dee, those are just my iphone pics. DH didn’t bring his big camera.

I still have not seen the Grand Ole Opry. Both times I’ve been to Nashville, we didn’t have a car.

Dee, every place we ate was pretty casual, nothing too memorable. We stayed at the Hermitage Hotel, which was gorgeous! We had one nicer dinner, at Eddie V’s, which was very good. We had another dinner at the Twelve Thirty Club, but on the lower level bar, called the Honky Tonk. And on the last night we took an Uber to The Local for burgers and more music. We went to Acme Feed and Seed a couple of times, once for lunch and once just for a drink, because it was less crazy than a lot of the other Broadway venues.

I did get tired of seeing all the bachelorette parties on their party buses. I feel like an old lady saying that, but it was getting annoying by day 3. I think we saw about 50 bachelorette parties. Between St Patrick’s day, the bachelorettes, and spring break revelers, we saw a lot of stupidity!

A couple of Ryman pics from our ”backstage tour”…

• gigitn
    last year

We Nashvillians call those bachelorettes the Woo Girls, since their natural habitat is hanging out of a party bus with their beer sloshing around, yelling wooooooo to anyone they pass by 🙄🙄🙄

Can't complain too much though, since the Woo Girls contribute so greatly to the local ecenomy!

• salonva
    last year

When we were there we did see a show at the Ryman. I wasn't sure if I was interested but boy oh boy was I glad we did it. . It's such an exceptional venue and I was blown away by it. I still remember the radio station WSM .

We were there on a random evening. I don't remember all the acts but there were many- and we saw Crystal Gayle a(nd I think the son of Marty Robbins). Somewhere I have some great photos as well- and I loved Minnie PEarl's costume behind glass. Such great memories.

I was never in to country music, but after visiting Tennessee, I really grew to appreciate it.

I listen to it in my car nowadays.

• Tina Marie
    last year

@gigitn I had been meaning to ask what part of TN you are in. We are up near the mountains but down your way fairly often. I love the Leipers Fork area! I do agree that Nashville has grown by leaps and bounds! We are having a housing shortage in our area. Lots of people must be moving to TN.

• gigitn
    last year

Leipers Fork is a favorite of mine too, Tina Marie! That's one of Nashville's charms I think - you can drive 30 minutes or less in any direction and find youself in quaint towns with beautiful countryside vistas!

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Great pics, Sueb. Love going to Nashville periodically, and especially the Ryman for concerts. There is so much construction, you never know what street you’ll find partially closed. We’re 2 hours south of there so always drive. The Country Music museum is great and the small Johnny Cash museum is worth it too imo.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Outside, yes, we visited both museums!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths