SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

You can get crispy skin on chicken w/o frying and w/o waiting a day

mtnrdredux_gw
last year
last modified: last year

This trick does what I thought an air-fryer would do - gives you crisp skin with frying. I only recently found that, despite all the instructions I have read, you don't need to start cooking a day in advance for this to work.

I am talking about using a mixture of salt and baking powder (3:1) on chicken skin, to make the skin on baked chicken as crispy as fried chicken.

I first learned about this when I made wings in fig balsamic glaze last month for cooking club. I had never made wings before. I followed these instructions to crisp the skin:

Simply combine one part baking powder with three to four parts kosher salt (about a teaspoon of baking powder per tablespoon of kosher salt will work), add some black pepper to taste, then sprinkle it evenly over the surface of the skin. Then—and this is key—let it rest, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours. This resting period doesn't just give the baking powder time to form all those little bubbles; it also lets the salt do its thing, dry-brining the meat for more intensely flavored, better-seasoned results

So... Friday I was making a version of pernil with chicken thighs, and they were soaked in a marinade and then cooked at 425F. I decided to soak only the bottom (meaty side) in marinade, and leave the top dry. Then I spread the 3:1 salt and baking powder mixture over the skin and left them rest in the fridge uncovered. But I only had 40 minutes because it was for dinner that night.... would it do anything at all?

Answer- amazingly, they got very crisp! I finished them under the broiler for a little browning. Delish. The dish called for removing the meat from the chicken, shredding it, and pouring the pan juices over it and garnishing it with cilantro and lime. There was no info about what to do with the skin, but since mine was so crispy, i sliced it and used it like garnish, YUM

Chicken skin is a treat, but now that I know how easy (and quickly) this works, I may do it more often.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting