SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie8598

How should contractor fix this tile job?

Stephanie
last year

Help! I'm a middle-aged single woman getting my bathroom redone and I've had it with my contractors. After nearly two months, it's almost done and I just discovered their tile guy did a terrible job on the marble mosaic floor. I need to know what is reasonable to accept as a fix because I think they take advantage of my lack of knowledge (they keep telling me I can't believe everything I read on the internet.)

The floor was done right after the tub install, but they didn't clean up before proceeding with the rest of the job. The room was literally a construction zone, with grout dust and empty buckets and paint trays, etc. so I hadn't scrutinized it. Then the whole project went on hold for two weeks while we waited for a broken vanity to be replaced (and they left the buckets and junk that whole time. Last Wednesday the new vanity was in so they came back and installed the vanity, toilet, and baseboards, and they touched up the paint. They think all they have to do tomorrow is vanity top, fixtures, and accessories. However... I asked them Wednesday if the tiler had sealed the floor before grouting and they cocked their heads at me - um, no, why would he? I said because the instructions that came with the tile said to. Of course they'd never heard of that, and said it wasn't necessary, and they implied that sealing the floor wasn't part of the job at all (I just looked and the word "seal" is not in the contract.) They still hadn't cleaned up before working that day. In addition to the previous dust and grit, by the end of the day there were three gobs of wax ring material on the tile and grout around the toilet. They hadn't even swept the vanity area before installing the vanity. They were going out of town over the weekend so I said I was going to clean and seal the (exposed) floor before they came back. I spent four hours Thursday night sweeping and scrubbing so I'd have a clean surface to seal Friday morning. What I found when I got down close was that the floor tiles are very uneven. Lots of lippage, in some places not because a tile is high or tilted but because the tiles next to it are sunken. I went ahead with the sealant and this morning I finally walked on it barefoot and it feels terrible. I started to tape high spots using the credit card test but it would have been every third or fourth tile, and there's a larger issue - all the grout is too low. This tile has a sharp 90 degree edge and he didn't grout up to the level of the tile. But if he just adds grout now, he's going to submerge some of the low tiles (there are already two that are partially covered with grout.) Could the uneven tiles that don't have grout on them be because of settling? (Although that doesn't justify him not attempting to grout up to the level of the tile.)

There were issues around the tub tiling that have been addressed, or I was going to let go, but now I'm so ticked that I don't know how much to tolerate. The walls were not plumb when they handed them over to the tiler and he tiled them as-is, cutting the tiles slightly diagonally in some spots to follow the corner of the wall. The left side looked particularly terrible and I pointed it out to the contractor and he said, nope, not acceptable. I thought it was his fault for not leveling the wall but he said the tiler was supposed to have checked and added mortar to level it out before proceeding. He made the tiler remove the top 3-4 feet of that wall, level it, and retile. He mostly leveled the wall but his retiling was sloppy - uneven grout lines, lippage, and most of the new tiles are higher than the schluter at the end. And now that that left side is "fixed" it's more obvious to me that the right side has the same problem. The top right tile by the ceiling is a good 1/2 inch wider than the bottom right tile over the tub. And you can see where tiles are cut at a slight angle next to the niches, to follow the angle of the wall (a wall the contractors built, so no excuse for it not being plumb). Oh, and I found some cracks in the grout when I was taking pictures this morning.

Long story short, I need help with what are reasonable fixes to ask for:

1) What is the right way to correct the floor? Should they be spot-grouting and creating little ramps? Or regrouting the entire floor? Should they cut out and re-set the tiles that will be submerged, then regrout? Start completely over with new tile?

2) This is partly dependent on the answer to Question 1, but should they remove the vanity, toilet, and baseboards before doing this, or would it be okay to work around them (and not worry about what's under the vanity)?

3) I've read repeatedly that unsanded grout should be used with marble tile, but they said that was a bad choice for floors. Are they right, or should I insist on unsanded grout for this next round?

4) Would you insist they fix the uneven grout lines and lippage where they fixed the wonky wall?

5) Would you insist they remove and straighten the wall next to the niches?

Thanks for your input!

Comments (34)

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

Yeah I'd been wondering about that. Thanks.

• Related Discussions

How fussy should be with tile job?

Q

Comments (3)
    Don't worry about being fussy. My tile laying people (I wouldn't call them tile setters) told me to my face that I was unreasonable. I should have fired them right then. Now, I am living with a hack job on expensive tile. Same thing about the mosaics - - I expected it to be installed in a certain way, you can tell where the sheets of 1 by 1 tiles were put up side by side and the one by one tiles weren't centered in the small installation space - - they said it couldn't be done, impossible. Totally ruined a very expensive glass tile mosaic backsplash in an alcove in 45 minutes flat. And my diamonds were not halved correctly - they were so sloppy. Disgusting. Don't tolerate incompetence. They grouted even when I was unhappy with the grout color. I could go on and on. . . Here is an example of correctly halved diamonds on a backsplash. Terrible quality photo - I need a better camera - - see how my diamonds were hacked. They change sizes from side to side as well.
    ...See More

Nightmare contractor tile job

Q

Comments (74)
    Great little bath! Good for you! So did you check out how the shower was built for potential water issues? It can take some time for damage to become apparent. It would be unlikely that the underlying foundation and shower pan work was any better than what could be seen on the surface.
    ...See More

Contractor said these tiles job are within the industrial standard.

Q

Comments (30)
    Had all the tiles ready before I hired this contractor. I told him what I want and he provided his bid. For downstairs bathroom ( bathroom floor, shower wall and shower floor, ) is $1481.25, and the upstairs(around the tub) is $866.25 to lay the tiles. But when he finally came with his tiles man(who claimed he did not do my job just introduced a man who spoke very little english to do the job), I had to change some of my origin ideas to fit in the price quotes. No spacer used for the subway tiles. Tiles are from floor&decor with "leg?" on the edge. No matter what, thanks for everyone who read and response to my on and on problems. By the way, tiny pieces are eyesore, but the lines are really, really bother me.
    ...See More

bad tile job, what should I do about the contractor?

Q

Comments (0)
    So we moved into a new house and had our bathroom redone. The tile and grout look horrible. This is the 2nd attempt by the contractor to fix it. I asked for a refund in the amount it would take to retile the bathroom and she is insisting that she be given another chance to fix it because in our contract she offers a warranty. Should I eat the loss or consider taking her to small claims court to recoup the funds.
    ...See More
  • pleballerina
    last year

I’d insist they leave and never come back.

I like Joseph’s suggestion of negotiating a big discount on the remaining balance. There’s no sense in letting them waste any more of your time trying to spot repair a job that needs redone from scratch.

I’m sorry this happened to you. Good luck moving forward!

• cat_ky
    last year

I suspect the only way to fix it, is to have it all redone. I wouldnt want them doing any more to it. I would insist they leave and not come back too, before they mess up something else, since its obvious. this is probably the best they can do.

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

I appreciate the honest responses but it's also freaking me out. You're saying tear it out and start over? That's going to be a loss of thousands of dollars. I don't have money to throw around like that. Can anything be salvaged?

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

Btw, I wrote the contractor and sent him these pictures this afternoon. Said I look forward to hearing how he proposes to resolve the issues when he comes back tomorrow. I said i didn't believe the tiler who did this work should be the one to correct it. So I haven't fired the contractor yet but I have basically fired his tiler.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    last year

You definitely have issues. More questions than answers right now. How did you hire this Contractor? He/she clearly did not have a qualified tile contractor as a sub for the tile work. There are industry recommendations & standards for tile work. This is what a consumer SHOULD think about before hiring a contractor. Note this: Are you familiar with the TCNA Handbook and ANSI Standards? Does your work follow these industry recommendations?

The TCNA Handbook coupled with the ANSI Standards are the industry recognized guidelines for the installation of tile for a wide range of applications. A qualified tile professional installer will be familiar with and know how to specify and use these reference tools. These standards include many of the issues you are concerned about. Ask your GC if the tile work is in compliance with ANSI Standards, the TCNA Handbook, and manufacturer recommendations (including grout choice). Ask for a response to each concern in writing verifying the compliance? Likely he/she has no idea, so sadly, your best bet may be as other's have suggested, which is to determine what you can live with and what you want discounted so it can be re-done by a qualified professional. https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.tile-assn.com/resource/resmgr/docs/13_questions_to_find_a_tile_.pdf

• HU-249558342
    last year

Do you have pictures in progress of this being built? The detailing of the job is not good. It is enough of a bat signal to question what is underneath. The ”how was this waterproofed” conversation is a must.

How was this waterproofed?

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

The contractor replied to me tonight that he was already planning to bring the tiler back tomorrow because he didn't like the wall repair. Hadn't told me because he "wanted to have a plan first." The only reason I believe this might be the truth is that the day after the repair was done the contractor told me the tiler might be stopping by to "replace something" but he didn't answer when I asked what. I wrote back tonight that at minimum we need to find a different tiler - I don't want that guy back. And that I believe the floor needs to be torn out and redone.

To answer questions, I got quotes from three contractors. This guy was the middle price and the least patronizing. When I talked about tile design and niches and such, he said I'd work all that out with his tiler. Imagine my surprise when I met the tiler and discovered he barely speaks English (he's Russian.) So the rare times he checked with me on something, we communicated mostly by hand signals.

Now I know about ANSI standards for tile work and questions to ask - thank you, Dragonfly! 

Maybe TMI but last year I left a 25 year marriage to a do-it-yourselfer who constantly told me my expectations were too high, so I lack confidence in my own judgement and have been trying to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. I have asked for fixes when I knew for certain something was wrong. Other times they told me to wait to see the finished product I've tried to do so.

The left and center walls were taken to the studs, up to the point near the shower head, where the tile previously stopped. The right wall was built by them, since there used to be a seat at the end of the tub which I didn't like. The walls are waterproof foamboard placed about 1/2 inch above the tub flange, then waterproof paper or tape ? Over the joints. Sorry I can't be more specific. I made sure they sealed it because i thought the foamboard was supposed to be in front of the flange but they told me there wasnt room - which appears to be true. There were issues with where the foamboard met the old corner of the drywall above, which I posted on Houzz earlier. That's when it was brought to my attention that there should have been waterproofing on the drywall (or new foamboard) above the shower head. This post is sort of Chapter 2 to that post.

I'm learning the hard way to trust my gut and assert myself. Lessons for the next project, if I have any money left after this one. There are many projects that got neglected during my marriage because of disagreements over how to proceed :(.

Thank you, everyone! Tomorrow should be interesting.

• cpartist
    last year

Do you have pictures of what was there before tiling?

What type of foamboard? If you don't know ask your GC.

What type of stuff did they seal the "foamboard" with?

The problem is if it wasn't waterproofed correctly, you may wind up spending more money in a year or two because of leaks. Make sure it's right now.

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

They used Sentinel cement foam board. Here's a picture I took before they sealed the gaps. I'll find out tomorrow what they used for that.

• zuleikad
    last year

Another thing to check your contract for: Does it say that everything will be installed "as per manufacturer's instructions"? It may not, but it should.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"I’d insist they leave and never come back."

You've got to speak to an attorney before you go tough-guy. They may have legal rights to fix it before you can terminate.

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

For anyone interested, the saga continues. The contractor readily acknowledged there were issues with the job. He even pointed out that the subway tile on the long wall was sagging, which I had not noticed. He offered to tear out all the tile, purchase new tile at his expense, and start over. Only catch was that it had to be the same tile guy, because that's his only guy. I did not want it to be the same guy, but I felt I was contractually obligated to give him the opportunity. Earlier this week they demoed everything and rebuilt the floor. Today the tile guy laid the mosaic floor tile. He left and I tried the credit card test and it failed. See photo - even I know the

thinset shouldn't be that wet. The tile is floating up and when I push it down level, the thinset bubbles up like milk. It's not like that everywhere, but I found several places with issues, and I was only reaching in from the doorway so as not to walk on it.

I told the contractor it's unacceptable. He's coming to look at it tomorrow morning. I've paid for 2/3 of this job and I'm really hoping we can agree to both walk away and take our losses at this point. I called a few contractors/tilers before agreeing to the re-do, and they all said I should give the contractor a chance to fix it. As with everything, they're concerned I might have issues down the road and blame them, when they were only picking up where someone else left off. But there was one guy who said he thought they could do the work if my current contractor demoed it. I'm hoping that guy is legit.

• pleballerina
    last year

You are doing the right thing-I have my hopes up for you and it’s encouraging that the contractor acknowledges there is an issue. Good luck!!! And please-if you’re willing-come back and keep us updated; your experience is adding to the “knowledge base” on this forum regarding tile installation and does add valuable insight for others-so thank you for the update!

Stephanie thanked pleballerina
  • Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

So I think it's time to update this post (and ask for more advice.) The contractors tore the floor out and gave me a steep discount (they still want to put everything back together when the tile is done.) I called the tiler who said he'd look at it if it was demoed and we set up an appointment, which the tiler forgot to put on his calendar. So he sent his brother out later that day and we talked a long time but the brother didn't have tools with him and we scheduled a return. He had to reschedule. We scheduled again, but he got tied up at a job, said he'd call me when he was done, but didn't. He also kept promising a quote but didn' deliver. So I asked them the next day if they really had time for this and they acknowledged they didn't. They gave me the name of someone else, who kept avoiding my questions and just said "Trust me, you'll love it." After he left, I figured out he wasn't licensed. Then I figured out the brothers weren't licensed either. Too risky, considering the problems I've had. So I've called many Kitchen and Bath stores, and contractors, gathering names. Everyone I call is either unlicensed or booked for three months (or they ghost me). I finally found a guy who can do it in a month or so, very experienced (and licensed) and he came out today.

But here's the deal:

- He says that the grout will never come up to the top of the marble mosaic floor. Expensive marble mosaic is tapered at the edges. Mine is not expensive marble tile, so it's perfect right angles. He says I will feel every edge, and no, that doesn't mean it will chip. If I don't like that, I should get a different floor tile. Or I can come through myself, right after he leaves and the grout is still wet, and grout every line individually, to top it up. He's not doing it.

- He is planning to use Wonderboard. Says it's already waterproof and doesn't need a moisture barrier. I'm seeing online that it should have a moisture barrier.

Does this sound legit? If he's right about the tile, then maybe I need to take it all back and buy something else. I don't know if he's lazy, or if he's the only person telling me the truth (he says to look at the displays in tile stores and see that the grout is sunken, and he's right, but I thought they were just doing a quick and dirty job.)

Every dang contractor is telling me something different, and they get annoyed with me when I tell them what someone else said, or what I read. Soooo frustrating.

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

Oh, and he says the grout always cracks next to the tub, because the tub moves. Don't worry about it. But the unlicensed guy said it was a mistake by the contractors not to ensure the tub wouldn't move.

• cat_ky
    last year

The floor where tub meets tile, should not be grouted. It should be caulked, with a good caulk.

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

The contractor was talking about the crack in the grout running around the side of the tub. He says that's "normal". He acknowledged the grout crack along the side of the niche wasn't okay. He didn't like the schluter there though either - he'd prefer bullnose. That may be part of the reason for the crack, because the groutline was so thin there. At least that's what someone else said.

• artemis78
    last year
    last modified: last year

No, not normal, and definitely not while you’re still in the midst of the reno! We have a cheap big box reno done by the PO with all sorts of issues, and the grout along the tub hasn’t cracked in 25 years. It shouldn’t be grouted at all where the tub meets the tile, but ours is and still hasn’t cracked. It is true that the GC should make sure the tub is solidly installed, but in most houses it will still settle over time and the caulk will help absorb that movement. I would skip the new guy and keep looking, frustratingly.

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, okay, thanks for the sanity check on the cracked grout..

Does anyone know if it's reasonable to expect the grout to be packed level with the tile when using big box tile store marble mosaic tile? I looked at the tiler's website and sure enough he leaves a gap, but the unlicensed tilers I was talking to said they would pack the gaps so the surface would be smooth. I don't know if I should use a different floor tile, if that would make it easier to find someone willing and able to do the work (which stinks bc I love the tile,.)

• cat_ky
    last year

The tile will be ruined, when it is removed, to be redone anyway, so maybe it is time, to start looking for new tile.

• millworkman
    last year

" He is planning to use Wonderboard. Says it's already waterproof and doesn't need a moisture barrier. "

He is incorrect. It is not waterproof. It is impervious to water and will be harmed by it but water wick right thru. Topical waterproofing is a must after the joints are properly taped and spackled with thinset.

• HU-249558342
    last year

Start over with actually trained and licensed tile installers, not handymen. If you give your location, perhaps someone knows someone. Just be forewarned that a whole bathroom is not a ”4K job”. Not even close.

https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/find-certified-tile-installers

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

The tile has already been torn out and repurchased (twice). It's a question of using it or exchanging it. I've read it's possible to pack the grout to the brim - and two or three tilers who were either unlicensed or too busy said it should be - but the tiler yesterday said "people don't do that anymore." All the contractors who originally quoted this job said the price was the same no matter what kind of tile I chose, but maybe they should be asking for more for marble mosaic. I can't believe people are okay with a bathroom or shower floor in which their feet can feel the edge of every 2" tile.

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, I've been to the CTF site and there is no one in my area. But I will follow the suggestion of calling them for recommendations - thanks for that idea. I've talked to 10 tilers and handymen who specialize in tiling, met three, and gotten exactly one quote, so I'd love to get to the point where I could worry about finding the money.

• millworkman
    last year

" but the tiler yesterday said "people don't do that anymore." "

Is that the same guy who said Wonderboard is waterproof and you do not need waterproofing? If so there is your answer.....................

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, same guy said tilers don't pack grout lines in marble anymore, cracks are normal, and wonderboard is waterproof. (And that I need to stop reading the internet and trust a guy like him who has been tiling for 40 years.) Hmmm.

• DeWayne
    last year

Grout lines will always have a detent in between tiles. The only way around that is to mud set, overpack, and then hone the entire stone+grout surface in place. That type of work went out about the time Nixon was president, just like honed in place terrazzo. You would have to find way beyond a skilled tile setter. You would have to find someone familiar with historical methods, and restoration of historical tile. Like Dragonfly^^. And then don't shop F&D seconds.

What IS your location?

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your honesty. Sounds like part of the problem with this job is that too many contractors are telling me what I want to hear. I guess I'm shopping for porcelain floor tile this weekend. 

I'm in the Baltimore area, where there seem to be a lot of people who say they tile, but the real pros aren't available for 4-6 months. I intentionally tried to make this a winter job (originally booked the contractor in December) and now I'm competing with Spring projects.

• cat_ky
    last year

When you shop for new tile, pick something you like, of course, but, pick something that is simpler and much easier to put down. You might also consider waiting, for the real tile guys. You have already discovered what happens when you dont. These real tile guys are booked up, for a very good reason. The ones that you have there now, that can go to work on it now, are not booked up, also for a very good reason. We as humans dont want to wait, we just want it done, and our house back to normal, but, that just does not always happen, as you have found out.

• DeWayne
    last year

If you do not wait for the good tile guys, you will end up in the same boat, costing yourself even more money and time.

Contact Paige Pomerene out of Virginia to get a recommendation for a couple of companies. She is the Schluter rep for the area and knows all the guys in that area. ppomerene@schluter.com Take a trip to the local Daltile for both tile, and to make connections. Emser. Henry Tile. Morris TIle. Columbia Tile. Where the good tile folks shop.

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

I'm trying to find 1-2 month-wait tilers. Definitely don't want someone available immediately. My daughter's 13th birthday is in July and she wants a sleepover, which can't happen when the only bathroom is a tiny 3/4 bath in my bedroom. But I've got some good leads again, and am accepting the reality that I need to let go of the tile I fell in love with.

• Stephanie
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, DeWayne!