SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Have you shopped or ordered from Kroger's?

Oakley
last year

A few months ago OK finally got a Krogers, but it's not a brick and mortar store, online orders only and delivery. And it's only 35 minutes from us with a $10 delivery charge, which can't be beat since the delivery truck will have to drive several miles on a rock road.

What is your experience with Kroger and why isn't it called Kroger's? Just throwing that in.

Pros? Cons?

Comments (65)

• Ida Claire
    last year

I assume it's called Kroger for whatever reason other stores only use the name and not the possessive tense of the name: Nordstrom, Belk, Aldi, etc.

• Lars
    last year
    last modified: last year

We have Ralphs in L.A., which is all over the place, and so we shop there because there are not many competitors left, due to consolidations/mergers, which I do not like. I was much happier when I had more choices.

The quality of Ralphs has gone down after the consolidations, and so now I tend to shop more at higher end stores like Bristol Farms or Gelson's. I don't mind paying a bit more for superior produce, and the fish and meat at Bristol Farms and Gelson's is well worth the extra cost.

There is a somewhat upscale Ralphs in Marina Del Rel right on the yacht harbor called Ralphs Waterside Marina Market, and it is much nicer than the Ralphs on Lincoln Blvd two blocks away.

My sister likes having her groceries delivered from HEB, but she hates shopping in stores (any kind of store) and never checks expiration dates on anything she buys, as that would slow her down. She hates when I go with her to shop, as I check all the expiration dates and remove the ones from her cart that have expired. Some stores are good at removing items with expired dates and some are not.. HEB is not, and neither is Ralphs.

• Related Discussions

Have you shopped Alice.com yet?

Q

Comments (6)
    Vera, you need a few huskies and a sled! :) That kind of round trip for supplies is a crazy one. I checked out the site and without registering might find some bargains without having to go to 3 different stores to find different sales. I always envy all the space and sun you have for gardening of all sorts. Never thought of the downside of living that far from conveniences others may take for granted. Thanks for doing the vetting of this site...I hate to give too much information with online sites like it. Just one word about tracking...do you think they watch for purchasing patterns and gear their offerings or coupons to different people's patterns or are all coupons generic to be used with any product purchased? I'm more than skeptical...LOL. Thanks again...I wouldn't have had the patience to go through the vetting and scoping out the site itself. Leslie PS...do you still want things on your trade list you haven't specifically requested in Exchange section? I have a few things you're looking for like Echinops ritro, New England Aster and Forget-Me-Not (annual & perennial) seeds. I was looking for divisions or 1 year seedlings of regular Chives (not Garlic) so I have a better chance of blooms during 2010.
    ...See More

Have you ever ordered from...

Q

Comments (3)
    No, I have never ordered from them, but I know what you mean about LQS fabric prices. Fortunately, the one here in town has a room of 40% off sale fabrics. Granted, most of them don't appeal to me, but once in awhile there's a nice TOT I can use for background or novelty for kids. I guess that's how my stash gets larger.....not a good thing since I haven't been able to put out as much as what comes in. Wish it worked that way as easily for the finances! SharonG/FL
    ...See More

House plants that you buy from Kroger or homedepot or walmart can I?

Q

Comments (7)
    "Can I use Miracle grow on them by diluting it in water and then watering it into the soil?" Yes " I had some house plants before and I use it and it gradually killed it. What is the reason?" It wasn't the fertilizer that killed the plants unless it was misused and/or simply acted as a contributor to another issue that was severely limiting by it's own lack of merit. Nutritional issues often act in concert with poor soils and over-watering to force the plant to deal with limitations the plant is not genetically programmed to tolerate, which produces stress levels so severe the plant's systems just start to wobble like an out of balance top until they simply cannot function as designed. Fertilizers with 3:1:2 ratios are good for houseplants because they furnish nutrients in the ratio at which the plants actually USE the nutrients. This allows you to keep fertility as low as possible w/o having to deal with deficiencies, which is a big plus for several reasons. Miracle-Grow comes in many RATIOS. 30-10-10 is a 3:1:1 ratio. 24-8-16 and 12-4-8 are both 3:1:2 ratios and 20-20-20 is a 1:1:1 ratio. If I had to choose a MG product as my "go to" fertilizer for almost everything I grow, I'd probably make it the liquid 12-4-8 mixture because of how easy the liquid is to use, compared to the granular. If my choices were broadened so as to include Dyna-Gro's Foliage-Pro 9-3-6, I'd definitely opt for the 9-3-6, another 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer. I like it because of its ratio, because it has all nutrients essential to normal growth (note that your MG lacks Ca, Mg (secondary macronutrients) and several micro-nutrients. FP 9-3-6 also gets most of its N from nitrate sources, which helps keep plants from getting leggy and coarse under low light (indoor) conditions, an important consideration for houseplants. Growing well is a rather holistic venture that must be looked at in its entirety. In most cases, a grower's growing experience comes apart at the seams because the grower finds himself unable to keep the plant's root system healthy and functioning normally. My experience has been that if you focus on keeping roots happy and succeed, the rest suddenly becomes remarkably easier. Let me know if you want to chase that thought a bit to see if what I said makes good sense. Al
    ...See More

What Shopping Bargains Have You Found This Week?

Q

Comments (13)
    We went to Academy sports, they had a great sale price on some very cute short boots. I don't have anything like that anymore. I like them for wearing with my skinny leg pants and jeans. I was trying to decide between a brown pair and a black pair. Hubby said Merry Christmas get both since they are on sale. I mean a girl has to rebuild her shoe collection! So I got both. We needed to replace our good electric knife and they had a $79 one on sale for $29. We got it. The best electric knives are found in the fishing department for filleting fish. Awesome knives. I used to buy the ones you find in kitchen goods, no comparison. One year for Christmas I bought my mom and mother in law each one of them. They were amazed at how much better they were. So if you need a good electric knife go check out the fishing department! Academy has quite a few. Also at academy we both got new slippers. Great price on them. The knife https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/american-angler-classic-electric-fillet-knife#repChildCatid=4944834
    ...See More
  • maddielee
    last year

A Kroger delivery warehouse opened a couple years ago near Orlando. The timing of the warehouse opening coincided with the start of the pandemic.

There is one Kroger grocery store/super market in the state. We live near enough to be in the delivery area, I have shopped Kroger often. It probably is the one grocery delivery service that we have had no problems with. The food arrives in a truck that seperates the frozen/refrigerated food and shelf stable foods. Ice cream arrives solidly frozen.

We take advantage of special offers for delivery, maybe $100.00/year. Depending on the size of the order our tip amount changes. We also add a cash tip that is handed directly to the person delivering.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Kroger has been in our area for a long time and has still expanded some of their stores into somewhat of a superstore. DD shops there frequently as their pricing is very good. The store closest to me is not updated and it shows plus there are other, more modern stores (Publix, Aldi) where I prefer to shop that are closer. One Kroger store in particular had a huge selection of GF items long before GF was a ’thing’ because the pharmacist there had a daughter with celiac.

The one in the college town where DGD is living is excellent and always has good fresh veggies.

• deegw
    last year

I shop at Harris Teeter when we are in the South. It's a treat because they tend to have a bigger selection of upscale and international items than other grocery stores. And we shop at King Soopers in CO, which is my regular grocery store. Both are Kroger brands. Why is it called King Soopers with no apostrophe? I have no idea.

King Soopers/Kroger loyalty program has saved me quite a bit of money. We earn gas discounts and they often load special discounts into my loyalty card. I love their pickup option. There is no upcharge or fee. And the app reminds me of things that I previously purchased that I forgot to add to my cart.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I have used Instacart to send food to elderly relatives etc. I used Peapod too, during the Pandemic. I have probably told my Peapod story before? Sometimes I feel like we are all an old married couple and I have already told you all all my stories.

Anyway during the pandemic it was hard to get a delivery slot from Peapod. I finally realized that the delivery slots were released at midnight, two weeks in advance. Since I never knew what I might want in two weeks, it was an issue. If you did not actually place an order and pay for it, you would lose your delivery spot.

I figured out a work around. They let you edit your order up to 24 hours before. So, I would just put in the minimum order 2 weeks in advance... I think it had to be over $40....and then edit it the day before delivery was scheduled. In trying to think of something non-perishable that would quickly equal $40, I chose two bottles of saffron.

I used this approach for a while, and then things eased and I forgot about Peapod and went back to my regular in person shopping

One day a huge truck pulls in the driveway, and DS says "Mom, do you need help with the groceries?" I am like ... what?

We go outside, the guy opens the back of the truck. It is cavernous and empty but for a small bag, which he hands me. $40 worth of saffron ...

• bpath
    last year

Back to why not ”Kroger’s”, I wonder if sometimes it’s because of what’s on the sign? That is, if it has an ” ’s ” , people say it? or maybe it depends on what other grocery stores nearby are called, so people just continue the same convention?

But that’s not always true, either. We have a chain of grocery stores named Jewel, and it’s common to hear it called ”the Jewel” (not The Jewel, capital T) I don’t hear that for any other store. We used to have National, old-timers still called it National Tea from it’s long-ago original name.

DLM, do you know if Grand is simply Grand? or is it The Grand? And did you know Sunset recently was going to buy the Grand stores, I don’t know if it has gone through yet, and I think they are keeping the name.

And I do hear people say both Aldi and Aldi’s. (It’s across the street from a Jewel.) When I was in Dallas, Tom Thumb was never Tom Thumb’s (is it still there?)

Clearly I have lots to do today so I’d rather fixate on language!

• 3katz4me
    last year

We don’t have Kroger in MN but I always shop there if I’m in a town that has one. I was happy to see one in the area we hope to have our warmer winter place. I shopped at Publix when I was in FL and didn’t like it as well.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I've done quite a bit of shopping at Fred Meyer, one of the Kroger brand. I would stop weekly and pick up things for my mother on my way to see her in her senior assisted apartment. She had shopped Fred Meyer for years and familiar packaging was important. I found mostly good produce, good prices but we don't have a local store. DH will make a stop there but to their garden dept, he's been buying their organic lawn food. For some reason, it's no longer allowed to ship our preferred brand to this state. Organic lawn food! I've tried to order and it cuts me off every time in the last couple of years, I can't imagine why its banned here. Ringer Lawn Restore.

Mtn, I'm trying my own saffron bulbs this year. They didn't arrive for correct timing of starting them, but seem to be happily growing in pots on my patio. I'll let you know my results but expect it to be at least a couple of years for my first crop ;) And that's if the deer don't find them because they certainly like the more ornamental types in my driveway island bed. It is not my plan to feed them saffron strands.

• bpath
    last year

Morz, interesting that you call it by its full name. Is it ever shortened to just Meyer or Meyer’s?

Publix has the built-in /s/ lol

• nini804
    last year

That is clever @mtnrdredux_gw ….and hilarious! 🤣

• Eileen
    last year

Bpath, actually it's called Freddy's by locals. They also sell clothing and home goods. It's one-stop shopping.

• maire_cate
    last year

I think part of the added 's' is that the corporate name is also a surname so that it was just natural to add the 's'. We don't add an s to Target, or Shop Rite or Walmart unless we're using the possessive as in Target's parking lot or Walmart's return policy.

OK I ended up googling it - Mary Leech, a professor of Linguistics at the University of Cincinnati explains that it is 'an unintentional association'

..............“Often with language, people will make associations with a form or category, and it sticks, then it gets passed down over time or adapted,” Leech wrote. “[Kroger’s] could be a misuse of a plural, but my guess would be that it is an unconscious [association] with possession that dates back to small, family-owned businesses and it has become a cultural habit to make that association.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/life/2022/08/26/why-do-we-add-s-kroger-answer-after-joe-burrow-ad/65420289007/

This article goes into even greater depth.

https://styleblueprint.com/everyday/why-do-people-add-s-to-the-end-of-words/

• woodrose
    last year

I've been going to Kroger since I was a toddler, 70+ years ago. My Mom shopped there and took me along. We have a Kroger Superstore about 5 minutes away, with clothing, housewares, home decor, and small appliances with a Starbuck's in store and an attached liquor store with a separate entrance. I shopped there quite often before Covid, then started using pickup, which is free if you order more than $35 in groceries. We have other big box stores in the area (Walmart, Meijer, etc.), but I continue to shop at Kroger, because it's convenient for my son to pick up my order on his way home from work. I love their Kroger Deluxe ice cream way too much.

• czarinalex
    last year

My DH insists on calling Walmart Walmarts. 🙄

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Maire, I love your little Kroger's short story.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

I go to Kroger here, North Alabama, for things no one else carries. Canned sour cherries, no sugar or flour or spices. Pickled corn. I like their produce. They have turnip greens fresh and not chopped. do not like their meat. Too much of it is "enhanced". which means it is full of salt and fake chemicals.

• nicole___
    last year

Luckily you can return $40 worth of saffron! I've grown it, never purchased it. That is a good story.

We have King Soopers. It's OK. Right now I like Sprouts best.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

@bpath I was not aware of anything Sunset/Grand related and the only Grand store I know is in Winnetka. Sadly Sunset in HP and NB were not what they used to be last time I shopped on a visit. Saw your comment about Mariano's - you may not have known it was started by the long time produce buyer from Doninick's after Byerly's (of MN) purchased some of the Dominick's stores. They were short lived. Chicago has an interesting and convoluted grocery history. Jewel was Jewel Tea and there was a teeny tiny one on Park Ave in Glencoe when I was growing up - creaky wood floors and all! Ok sorry to hijack Oakley .....bpath I just found a FB group called growing up Glencoe and dug down to this pic. From the 40s but there's that Jewel grocery!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    last year

I do shop at one of the Kroger owned grocery stores. In general, their prices are higher than Wal-Mart but not on all things. Some of their ice cream flavors are great (Kroger brand, mocha latte cookies and cream and lemon cheesecake flavors last year were enjoyed here). They also have a spicy pickle that I am enjoying until I can figure out a recipe of my own. I find in the store I have to check the receipts carefully because they often do not update sale prices, but they are quick to refund any errors. That of course would be easier to spot on a delivery order when you can look at the totals. The sales offerings have not been as aggressive lately. They tend to have arborio rice in stock, which has been harder to find around here. My family is pretty budget conscious for groceries so I view the local Kroger owned store as a one of the places I shop for what I need but it is far from meeting all of my grocery needs.

• Allison0704
    last year

@bpath reminds me that in our area Piggly Wiggly is only called The Pig by people that shop there.

DD2 said the Kroger near her is a warehouse, so no store.

• Ida Claire
    last year

This thread made me think of the supermarket in Iceland where we shopped. Bonus, it's called, and this is its logo. We got so tickled at the derpy expression on that pig's face! I think we may still have a shopping bag around here somewhere with that goofy thing on it. (Yes, we are easily amused.)

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

@Allison0704, or Hoggly Woggly as we used to say when we were kids. We thought we were so funny. I do still have my Pig t-shirt and wear it now and then.

• Allison0704
    last year

I've never heard it called that, Outisde.

• jill302
    last year

Shop Ralph's, the Kroger brand, in So Cal; it is fine. Like @Lars mentioned not a huge amount of choice. Free pick-up at Ralph's is a wonderful option. For produce I prefer Albertson's or Trader Joe's. Used to shop Stater Bros, they had great prices, then the last year or so they have increased prices, now similiar pricing to Ralph's. Albertsons prices are higher overall than stores other than Bristol Farms and Whole Foods. I love Bristol Farms bakery and cheese counter, otherwise way too pricey for me. Whole Foods, the premade dishes are great, wonderful gold beet salad, otherwise not my store.

Unfortunately, Kroeger is in the process of buying Albertson's. So unless the deal is stopped by the FTC. One less choice coming😭

Not an Aldi fan, have tried it multiple times, just do not see the appeal.

• bpath
    last year

DLM, I remember Byerly’s. The one on Half Day was carpeted! But an odd layout, with ”bays” for various things, that turned into traffic jams. Yeah, they lasted a few years. Heinen’s seems to be doing a bit better, doing the same thing (out-of-state family chain taking over shuttered Dominick’s). I often shop at Heinen’s. DH says he likes watching my ”credit card circle” of Heinen’s, Sunset, Jewel, with an occasional hiccup at Mariano’s and Whole Foods (WF bread and desserts, and their wine prices). And I ”grew up” at the HP Sunset. I don’t care for that one so much now, it’s just aged too much. Like me. Like my in-town Walgreens. People still great (I’ll bet the loader who wants to buy our car still works there. Hey, wait, the loader at my current Sunset also wants to buy my car!)

Thanks for the picture! I don’t remember that Jewel, but I think I remember Dutch Mill! And now that you mention it, I do remember that it was Jewel Tea, just like National was National Tea.

I spent a year in Columbia Mo, and the grocery store people went to was the IGA on the edge of town. I didn’t have a car, and no need for a grocery store anyway.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

I've been busy all day and just now got the chance to check on the topic. Wow! Once the Ibuprophen kicks in for my poor body who washed windows all day, I'll be back and read all the replies.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

@bpath wait just a doggone minute - Columbia? Did we ever talk about this before? That's where I went to school, shopped at IGA, tended bar at HoJo's and Harpo's, hung at Gatsby's and the Whitegate pool. When were you there?

• bpath
    last year

Really? one year, 1975-76. Evenings at The Chez. When were you there?

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

We overlapped one year - left spring '76

• bpath
    last year

The university or the women’s college?

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

Neither - the other one

• bpath
    last year

Well, now I’M intrigued.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

The other one - the first women's college west of the Mississippi - went co-ed the year before I got there and changed name - they recruited heavily at New Trier and 6 of us from my graduating class went there - pretty amazing for a HS graduating class >750 and we end up at a school of 500 (at that time, doubled while I was there). Crazy small world you and I - where were you?

• bpath
    last year

Stephens. First day of English class, the instructor asked who had written a research/term paper. Two of us raised our hands. The other student was also from DHS, and we even had had the same teacher for the term paper. We realized for the first time that north shore schools really had prepared us well.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Maire, read this article. Krogers giant warehouses, fast robots...

DH and I, along with DS close by are going to do it. DH and I were saying having the delivery guy bring the food to the front door, unless they bring it inside, will save us a back breaking job of unloading kitty litter, dry dog and cat food, canned dog and cat food, heavy items like milk, etc. We always stock up so it will be great not having to do it.

I just hope they won't deny us because we're on a rock road. I entered my address and it was approved.

Now I need the card and check out the food

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Uh, I know this is a stupid question. Now that I'm enrolled with no plus card or Alt Id, and they have me shopping already, just how do I pay for my orders? At checkout? If so, then why a plus card and what exactly is an Alt ID?

• Kswl
    last year

I do not shop at Kroger. i don’t like anything about it. The store is huge; they sell baby cribs and ”special sale” cheap bonded leather furniture groupings. Their employees know nothing about the layout of the store and during the height of the pandemic wore their masks as decorative accessories hanging jauntily from one ear or around their necks like a cowl. The store is filthy and to say the quality of their produce is uneven is a kindness.

• mnzinnia
    last year

The Kroger stores in the Indy area are variable. Some are not very clean or are crowded, others are ok. I'm looking forward to HyVee entering the market later this year. My experiences shopping them when living in Iowa and MN were always good. Clean stores with ample employees and prices on par with Kroger or other mid-tier grocers. If there are more than a few customers in line they open another checkout. I hate the loooong lines at Meijer where they usually have only one checkout open in a large store. Hopefully HyVee can/will hire enough staff to keep up their "helpful smile in every aisle" mantra.

• 4kids4us
    last year

We don't have Kroger where I live. However, my son goes to school in Cincinnati and while visiting him last fall, we went to a nearby Kroger to get groceries for him. It must have been one of their nicer stores - it was very large, clean and had a great selection. But the craziest thing, at least for me, was that there was actually a bar inside. Who goes to the grocery store and thinks, "I think I'll go have a beer at the bar before I shop?" I mean, the Safeways here where I live have Starbucks inside, but a bar? Weird. But then again, in most of MD you can't even buy beer/wine in grocery stores, let alone sit and have a drink.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Oklahoma doesn't have any walk-in Kroger stores. This newly built Kroger is a 55,000 sf fulfillment center which I think is for groceries only. They deliver up to 90 miles away.

I have no desire to buy groceries where they sell furniture. I avoid Sams and Costco completely, I also won't begrudge a store because the furniture they sell isn't high-end. Kroger does have a good reputation when I googled.

4kids, that's funny. Oklahoma passed a law in 2016 to allow grocery stores to sell few years ago where grocery stores can sell full strength beer and wine, and now WM is pushing to sell hard liquor. As one columnist wrote, paraphrasing "do we really want to shop at a store that sells Jack Daniels and guns?" lol Oh heck no.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

do we really want to shop at a store that sells Jack Daniels

OH H**L YES! Don't need the guns, but it will save a stop and money.

• User
    last year

Yes, I would recommend Kroger. We have QFC and Fred Meyer, which are the pacific northwest Kroger affiliates. They're my favorite grocery stores for pantry staples. When it comes to meat and produce, they're fine. Better than other chains (Safeway) but not the best (we're super snobby about fresh goods though).

We have a loyalty card and rack up fairly decent discounts on gas at Shell. I can use those points in any state there's a Kroger, it doesn't have to specifically be QFC.

• Tina Marie
    last year

The store is huge; they sell baby cribs and ”special sale” cheap bonded leather furniture groupings. @Kswl that is so funny! Our Kroger does not sell anything like that! I don't think we have any grocery stores that sell furniture. Well Walmart, Costco, Sams, etc. sell groceries and furniture and tons of other stuff, but I refuse to shop at Walmart. I rarely go to Sams or Costco either, because 1) I don't need stuff in bulk and 2) they are a good distance from me. I think all the grocery stores in our area sell beer, wine, mixers, etc.

Oakley, if it's like the grocery store I shop, you can get a plus card online. I have a separate one for my on-line grocery ordering and one I use in store. Not sure why I have two. It happened when I set up my online account. My store has options for payment, and I always pay when I pick up (I don't have groceries delivered).

• Eileen
    last year

Oakley, an Alt Id is a 10 digit number, usually your phone number. In the store they can use your phone number at check-out if you don't have the card with you. To pay, enter your credit card in the My Account section in My Wallet. It saves it.

With any new website, take your time going through it to understand it. I remember when Houzz bought GW and after 10 minutes people were screeching they couldn't find their favorite forums. They didn't take the time to learn the website and decided panicking was the answer.

• User
    last year

they sell baby cribs and ”special sale” cheap bonded leather furniture groupings

how funny the differences between states. Our Fred Meyer stores are huge too -- like a super walmart but nicer. The clothes are on par with Kohls, the furniture is like Ashley Homestore. Not really my cup of tea. I do like that they have a basic hardware section and large health/beauty department, so that's what usually draws me in.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

LOL, Sherry. I normally wouldn't mind because low point beer and wine will put you in the same state of mind as a shot of JD, if you drink enough. :) But if stores did sell hard liquor many mom and pop stores across all states will close putting many out of business. OTOH, there is still so many underage teens, especially in rural areas like mine, who either crash and die or crash and go into a coma and come out six months later with cognitive impairment. That happened to my nephew right after he graduated in a small town MO. It happend here 16 days ago to a Sr. in our high school who was driving on a 2 lane paved road not far from us during the night after drinking, not wearing a seatbelt, and he still hasn't woken up. Another teen in my son's class died a mile from us.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I still haven't had time to look over the site yet. My daughter in law recommends the ice cream. :)

• woodrose
    last year

Kswl, I'm sorry your stores are such a mess. Stores here are clean and the employees are polite and helpful. Our store is large, but no larger than the other big box stores in the area. We had some furniture and accessories after it was remodeled into a superstore, but that didn't last long. I guess they realized that people here don't want to buy their furniture at grocery store, so it disappeared along with the jewelry "store". The produce is usually pretty nice, some of it grown locally, especially during the summer months. My only complaint is their prices, which are often higher than other stores. Well, that and the store being packed with people all the time.

• User
    last year

@woodrose oh yeah, I forgot about jewelry! I don't like ours. it's in a separate space, and is basically like a Kay or Zales. very much not the type of jewelry I like. I remember my sister buying a basic gold band there, I thought it was way overpriced.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

In Alabama, today. You can buy beer anywhere, wine anywhere, (but it must be in a bag). You can buy liquor at a retail store that does not sell groceries, but it costs more, they are required to buy it from the Alabama Beverage Control at their price.

Years ago, you could not buy it at all. Then, you could buy wine in a grocery store, but it had to be in a little separate area, AND you had to put it in a bag before you left the area. The cashier had to slip down the bag to scan. Kinda like a strip tease. (You would be struck blind if you saw a bottle of beer or wine uncovered.)

This is Alabama and the Southern Baptist rule the state. They party hard on Saturday and are so ???? on Sunday.