SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
le_r76

EDITED Need landscape advice! Privacy while keeping sun for edibles?

LE R
last year
last modified: 11 months ago

Ok here's a photo, blocking out the neighbors' houses along with a revised post.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, I am reviewing them now. Just getting back as I got pulled away to deal with some other things.

I'm in overwhelm and just can't figure out how to place things to make them look good.

Central FL zone 9a in a mobile home park with close-by neighbors. Would love to create a backyard that is a privacy screen -peaceful, flowy, private, green oasis that attracts birds and wildlife. Layered trees. Not manicured, not severe, pointy shapes, dark or sharp (hollies). Think park or artist garden. Delicate. Private, fluttery serene space that catches the sun on the leaves and attracts birds and butterflies.

Also, an area of edible fruit trees but they need full sun, and also lose leaves in the winter, leaving myself and the neighbors looking at each other. Hence the dilemma.

I'd like to show some of the extended lawn (not the houses) from neighbors to give a green grassy feel and keep continuity and have an open feel, while still screening for privacy esp. in the area noted in the photo.

More info:

We lost two beautiful oak trees recently to mistletoe, which left massive trunks under the grass. I thought I'd use that as a peanut shaped grassy middle area or plant fruit trees around it and take advantage of the decaying trunks underneath.

The sun passes right over it so they would need to be angled properly. Not sure how to make that look good.

Trees also need to be able to stand up to high winds.

The yard is 20 yards long and the backyard faces NE.

I'ts got to be budget as I cannot afford to build raised beds, stone structures, pagodas etc.

Trees I have (in pots currently)

2 Dwarf cavendish bananas

1 Barbados cherry (worried about safety for squirrels)

1 Dwarf blueberry

1 Meyer lemon currently covered with fruit (so can't plant yet)

Also, gardenia bush

Bouganvillea that needs replanting (optional)

3 Strawberry plants currently in pots

Maybe climbing roses on a trellis

Some anise hyssop in a pot

Must-Have Trees -

Arbequina olive (1 but prefer 2), prefer kept small

Loquat

Preferred -

Peach tree

Mulberry

Avocado (pref dwarf)

Also -

a small pomegranite (in a pot on the porch to protect him from the cold),

Beautyberries

small orange tree

Elderberries

Another blueberry

If I can get the major trees in place and have them look good and create a private space, I can figure the rest out from there. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (15)