SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jake_smith95

What would you do different remodeling this colonial in Louisville KY

Jake Smith
last year
last modified: last year

What would you do different? ive got it gutted and ready, heres my floor plan for remodeling. In a previous post I used "renovation" instead of remodel.

Here's how the house sits right now:

Here's photos of the interior of the house, as it sits right now:

Here's a couple photos of how it sat when I bought it:

I wanted to knock down walls so I could see what I was working with. I felt the home was very choppy due to previous owners renovations over the years adding on.

Budget for renovation is $150,000-$200,000. I like a big open kitchen and big island. I have also ripped up some walls upstairs and opened things up, but that's a different post for a different day.

Here's the structural engineers report:

• The 2-story, wood framed house is constructed over a full basement. The purpose of this structural
  • engineering investigation was to size structural members for a remodeling project in three rooms of the
  • house, (2 beams on the first floor and 1 on the second floor) in order to remove both load and non load
  • bearing walls. Our structural investigation is limited to this issue.
  • Note: All directional references to left, right, front, or rear assume the reader is standing in the street,
  • facing the front door of the building being referenced. There was no documentation reviewed as part of
  • this investigation.
  • Beam 1 is located on the 1st floor in the front dining room/ hallway area next to stairs and is
  • approximately 23’ long. Replace the existing stud wall with a W12x35 Steel I-beam.
  • Beam 2 is located on the 1st floor in the front living room / breakfast nook area is approximately 8’ long.
  • Replace the existing stud wall with either a W4x13, W6x8.5 Steel I-beam, or a Double 1 3⁄4” x 9 1⁄4” LVL
  • Beam 3 is located on the 2nd floor rear bedroom and is approximately 21’ long. Replace the existing stud
  • wall with either a W8x35, W10x22, W12x19 Steel I-beam
  • Install a minimum of 3-2x4 studs under each end of the beam and ensure a minimum bearing length of
  • 3” on all columns.

Here's the eagleview report:

This is not a flip, this is a home I plan to live in. It's a very sought after, old neighborhood in town.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH