SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Should I Shorten This Coffee Table

Helen
last year

I am in the process of finishing the living room.

I spent an endless amount of time trying to find a coffee table. What I don't understand is why there are so many interesting options for side tables but coffee tables tend to have more limited options in terms of style.

Finally found this one - right size - right combination of glass as well as not completely disappearing so it has a bit of presence. However I didn't realize it was higher than the normal table - 21" versus approximately 18".

I think it looks weird and my designer has said it can be shortened by the metal work shop she uses and so it would look seamless. It would be shortened from the top so that the distance between the lower and upper would be a bit shorter.

I could also start the search and just get rid of the table

Also should I put the side table between the two barrel chairs under the windows. I bought two of them. It was instant love as i didn't realize they were inspired by a Meret Oppenheim vintage table until I saw Antiques Road Show featuring the table.

Excuse the quality of the pictures as it is hard to photograph with the windows in the picture as it throws off the lighting.

The second picture is shot with the windows behind me so is better indicator of colors.

Comments (24)

• jck910
    last year

I prefer that it is taller. Looks very nice

• Jilly
    last year

I just love your style. I want those side tables. They’re glorious.

This is a tough call. If it won’t bother you for the area between the top and bottom shelf to be minimized, and you feel confident the guy can do a good job, I say go for it.

If the glass was clear, I don’t think the height would look off at all. But being mirrored, it does call more attention to that. But I truly think it looks fine as is.

Re: the two chairs and side table — I think I’d leave it as is because otherwise the chair on the right will have to be moved over and more in front of your slider. But why don’t you try it and see what you think?

Helen thanked Jilly
  • Related Discussions

Quick - CL Emergency - Marble Top Coffee Table - Should I?

Q

Comments (50)
    shee - Hi there! Well, I think we all agree that the round shape of the table is great. Now, it's just the details. I think I'm going to try Photoshopping the current coffee table, as well as the other Linden Street one in red. Maybe I'll try a cream or stained version too, just to get a better picture in my mind. I'm thinking if I go red, that I should look for a very warm, deep, burnt shade, antiqued, as Les said. dianalo - Beautiful piece! I like the wood tone on it a lot. andee - Good idea to put something on top. I'm not sure just what yet, but that will help, for sure. nicole - I like the antique white distressed look too. I'm thinking that Photoshopping will really help me decide. I don't want to paint over the wood unless I'm sure I should (no poem intended). dee - It is travertine! The back of the top says "Made in Italy". It is extremely heavy, as in I won't be moving it ever again, if I don't have to - LOL. The table top you pointed out is identical. walnutcreek - I've seen Old English in stores before, I'm sure. Is it better than Restore-a-Finish? redbazel - Hey, thanks!
    ...See More

Should I put a rug under my coffee table???

Q

Comments (8)
    Yes, and at under the sectional and the end table. It’s not absolutely necessary, but makes things more inviting and comfortable. Your table is much too close to the sofa, and really not the right one. Maybe a small round one.
    ...See More

Should I put a rug under my coffee table?

Q

Comments (1)
    Looks great..no need for one unless you want something to be softer on your feet! It would have to be large enough to have front legs of sofa on it....so Most likely would need a 8x10.
    ...See More

How should I refinish my coffee table?

Q

Comments (1)
    I would get a really beautiful piece of cloth with great colors and handmade design in whatever style you like and put a piece of glass over it.
    ...See More
  • Anna Devane
    last year
    last modified: last year

I would’t invest the money in restructuring that table as i feel it just doesn’t mesh with the rest of the room. I would continue to search for the right table.

Helen thanked Anna Devane
  • Maureen
    last year

Since you spent a lot of time finding/not liking anything else, maybe take your designer’s advice, but I’d be worried the loss of 3” may bring lower level up too far and look akward. Can you return?

I don’t know your budget or the length you want, but both of these are 18” high and found very quickly.

https://www.paynesgray.com/apps/fireamp/products/worlds-away-brando-coffee-table?epik=dj0yJnU9R0I2Rzk0Y3k1RUlEY29FUEFBdmlZTTYwN0lJWmplMkYmcD0wJm49VlFDZXNESC1JYXJpYUNZb2tuOUVmdyZ0PUFBQUFBR1FVcUVj&utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social

Try the table between the chairs but it would mean moving them further apart, so may not work. If there is more flexibility space wise on other end, exchange locations and try them on a slant to feel more congrnial.

Helen thanked Maureen
  • palimpsest
    last year

I feel like slightly taller tables are easier to use. But it does seem a bit tall with the two low backed tub chairs in particular. I think it would be a cost-benefit thing for me, how much would it cost to amputate it.

Helen thanked palimpsest
  • chispa
    last year

I had the opposite problem. I wanted a coffee table that was 18' - 20" and so many of the tables made today are 16".

Can't tell how wide the room is, but I would pull out the rug a bit from under the sofa, so you can also see the pink border on that side. Also if you pull the rug out, the barrel chairs won't seem so squished on there.

Helen thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Well I would not take the chance of ruining the table eother get a different one or live with this .

Helen thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • K Laurence
    last year

Had the same problem. i has mine shortened from 21”to 18”, looks better with my sofas in the room, closer to cushion height.

Helen thanked K Laurence
  • elcieg
    last year

Too high. Find a replacement and stay with your Asian style:

Helen thanked elcieg
  • Helen
    Original Author
    last year

The usual houzz consensus

It does appear that the majority feel the table is too tall but some have reservations regarding whether it can be done so that it looks okay - either in terms of workmanship or proportions. I have raised those questions with my designer and she is confident that the workers would be able to make the legs amputation look seamless and that the loss of height between the top and bottom would be okay in terms of proportions.

I hesitate because at a certain point I am just tired of the process. 🤷🏼‍♀️😆

@Jilly Ironically the table actually has clear glass on top but at the suggestion of my designer we swapped it for an antique mirror becaue otherwise she felt it wouldn't have enough presence to balance out the rest of the stuff

@Maureen The Paynes Gray table is quite nice. One reason why I had gone with the table was because the legs were slightly curved and so complemented some of the other curvilinear furnishings. The chairs have a mechanism so that although the chairs swivel they snap back to front position when someone gets up so I am not sure angling them would help.

@palimpsest While it seems foolish to say cost is no object, there is the sunk cost of the table which I am not entirely happy with and I don't think the amputation would be that expensive

@chispa The rug really can't be pulled out significantly because it would create a hazard in the traffic aisle

• Helen
    Original Author
    last year

@Jilly The Bird Leg Table by Meret Oppenheim is really wonderful. The original has a bird track on the table top but mine has a brown glass top.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/end-tables/traccia-gold-leaf-bird-leg-table-meret-oppenheim/id-f_176485/

Here is the link to the Antiques Roadshow segment

https://www.pbs.org/video/antiques-roadshow-appraisal-meret-oppenheim-traccia-table-ca-1979/

Mine is from Arteriors and is their Aves Accent Table

• Jilly
    last year

Thank you for sharing, Helen! They’re so wonderful.

Helen thanked Jilly
  • palimpsest
    last year

There's both the sunk cost and then there is the sunk-cost-fallacy, which is something I am dealing with in my own design process right now.

If your designer is convinced they can do seamlessly and you really like the table other than the height, why not?

I think it's a little high for being such a big rectangle is the issue. I feel like the lower you go the bigger you can go.

That said I am often a fan of the imperfect proportion if it's something I like otherwise.

Helen thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Sell it. It's really not very interesting, and not worth a cut down either. There are SO many similar - cheap- and after a point they are all a blur.

60 x 29 x 16 below with lotus flower detail.

!3 inches longer than your Uttermost table

https://erinlaneestate.com/products/silas-seandel-style-gilt-lotus-cocktail-table-1

Helen thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jilly
    last year

Your chairs are so nicely ornate, and the side tables have such a wonderful, unique design, I wouldn’t get a table that competes with them.

Your coffee table is perfect with the gracious curves. Nice flow — not busy and not theme-y.

Helen thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

There's already a strong "theme" . Go with it. : )

The Uttermost is 1250.00 bucks of been there, done that and too high.

• Jilly
    last year

I don’t see a strong theme, or any theme … I see a beautiful eclectic, collected look.

Helen thanked Jilly
  • shirlpp
    last year

The usual houzz consensus

We are a sample of the population.

That coffee table is too tall. Take a look at any living room/family room with a coffee table and you will see that they are no taller than 18".

If you really love it - then take the chance of having it cut down.

Helen thanked shirlpp
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I see a pretty Asian influence........and a vintage collected flavor.

At least look beyond the new junk: ) 38 x 38 x 16

https://www.chairish.com/product/1987153/pe-guerin-style-gilt-metal-glass-coffee-table

Helen thanked JAN MOYER
  • Maureen
    last year

To follow up, my main comment was more concerning that the chairs were feeling squeezed in and with now learning they swivel, I think could be more consequently. Maybe you have already tried them on other end to see if distance could be improved slightly. Another idea is to remove the patterned chair (for my taste, it‘s not working with your other choices and rug especially). Then you could place the chairs on opposite sides each with a table and your coffee table will become more appreciated in a more open arrangement.

Sounds like you altered the coffee table, so non-returnable, therefore have nothing to lose to shorten. It’s too bad your designer wasn’t aware of its height, as there are great finds at 1stDibs or Chairish

• Helen
    Original Author
    last year

I don't really have a theme although my "inspiration" was the styles that I have loved through the years - Art Deco, Arts & Crafts, a bit of Hollywood Regency and some fun stuff.

I definitely wouldn't want to bring in a Ming style overtly Asian style table as it would start to look like a bad theme restaurant.

The Asian influence is Chinese Deco from the 1920's rather than fine Asian. I have two vintage Chinese Deco rugs but i couldn't find a larger one for the living room area in the right colors, design and size and so I had a new one done custom that was designed by my designer with input from me. I think it looks pretty authentic even if it isn't from the Nichols factory as my two vintage rugs are

Also some of the Asian stuff is from my mother so I kept some of the items I liked. She was a quilter and so she did the quilt that is framed above the sofa. The decorative pieces seem to work well enough together since Chinoiserie was an element of both Art Deco and Hollywood Regency. And even the Arts & Crafts artisans were inspired by the Japanese Trade fair - like Greene & Greene and the fabulous Gamble House in Pasadena.

https://antiqueorientalrugs.com/2018/11/09/the-story-of-nichols-rugs/

@JAN MOYER I had attempted to find a Geurin table but it was impossible to locate one that had the proper size and design so I gave up. The reason why I ultimately went with the one that I selected was because it had a bit of that feel to me. Also it had curves instead of being straight so it somewhat echoed the other shapes in the room.

The sofa is new but the upholsterer created it based on a picture of an Art Deco sofa I had found. The table is French Art Deco - it was also done by a wood shop based on a photo of an Art Deco table from the 1920's. The carved wood chair is not the steamline Moderne but is a typical style from the 1920's and is vintage as well.

I am attaching a few more photos of the room. The room divider has a bit of classic Art Deco in terms of the ziggurat design at the top. This was designed by my designer and executed by the custom place that did my cabinets and table and also refinished other wood pieces that i decided to keep and restore. The chairs are obviously contemporary and were inspired by Baker chairs I liked but done by a local upholsterer in leather so that it would contrast with the other fabrics and not be too matchy.

The length of the table can't be more than about 48" because it wouldn't fit in the space and still leave room for legs in front of the chairs.

@palimpsest Your analysis regarding the balance of interesting is correct because too many "statement" pieces would be over the top so i was trying to get a balance between the strong designs like the rug while also having some elements in all the pieces that complemented each other.

This was the inspiration for my table and the one I have is pretty much identical

Here is the table in place. The chairs are new but the legs somewhat echo Art Deco lines and there is a peek to the far left of an Art Deco cabinet i acquired years ago which is very classic Art Deco in terms of lines. The cabinets were inspired by Lloyd Wright's Praire architecture. The chandelier now has shades but s Art Nouveau - one of my favorite periods but very hard to source

These might give a better idea of the proportions of the room in terms of placement. I could move the chairs a bit over to the right because the entrance to the balcony is further to the right. They would only visually block a bit of the glass at the bottom as now they are under the window and there is solid wall there.

• Jilly
    last year

Every time you show more of your beautiful home, I fall more in love with it!

Helen thanked Jilly
  • chispa
    last year

Helen, had never seen this side of your home!

I still think you should move the rug out and have it come closer to the TV/wall unit. How often do you/guest walk over to the balcony ... doesn't look like a path that gets major wear? It looks like you are cramming things into the left 2/3 of the room and I think moving the rug out will balance the space better. Will definitely make the barrel chairs look less crammed and like they are trying very hard not to fall off the rug! Of course, things might look different in person, compared to photos.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County