SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ifoco

Voltage and Frequency in appliances

ifoco
last year
last modified: last year

I'm planning a trip to Japan and am having difficulties sourcing information on whether or not my Iphone and my hearing aids will charge properly.

Hearing aids are Philips HearLink charger C-1B2 Input 6.0V...200mA

I contacted Philips for their help and information but they were clueless.

I've read everything from it's not a worry to yes it's a problem.

Here's the situation in Japan which depends on where you are and can even vary in what street you are.

Plugs

Japanese electrical plug have two pins similar to the US, but usually does not have electrode.

Socket

One of the US plug pins is large and the others are small, and Japanese two pins are the same size as smaller US plug pins. However, many of the Japanese homes have wall outlet that the US plugs can fit. You may also find extension cords for the US plugs in major Japanese electrical stores. The combination of plug adapter, and converters may enable the usage of the appliances from other countries, except appliances with big power or subject to sensible mechanism.

Frequency

The frequency of electric current is 50 to 60 Hertz
The frequency of electric current is 50 Hertz in Eastern Japan (Tokyo, Yokohama and other northern area), 60 Hertz in Western Japan (Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima and other southern area) the US is 60HZ and Europe is 50HZ. If you are going to live in the Middle of Japan (Aichi, Gifu, Mie, Shizuoka, Nagano prefecture), you need to check Japanese local electric shop or power supplier, because the frequency depends on the cities, even in the same prefectures.
Some appliances can be used without adjusting the frequency. However sensitive appliances like microwave, stereo sets, electric pianos, clocks and timers, frequency needs to be adjusted. Electric appliances sold in Japan have frequency switch so that you can use them in both areas. If you are bringing sensitive appliances, be sure to check the frequency. Transformers can change voltages, plug adaptors can fit your appliances to the wall outlet, but changing frequency is almost impossible, or very costly.

Thank you in advance

Inga

Comments (17)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz