SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Suggestions for area just south of white pines

I have two large white pines in my back yard, and I'd like to fill in some of the area beneath it and to the South.

I took this pic 2, maybe 3 years ago:

There's English Ivy climbing both trees, which I've since trimmed; it's still there, just not overwhelming. The limbs of the trees start at about 20' from the ground.

To the left is a large rhododendron and my first dog's grave, then a little bench.

In the area that I want to improve, I have yellow and orange canna lilies, purple bearded irises, blue speedwell, Autumn Joy sedum, butterfly milkweed, purple phlox, purple heart setcreasea, mondo grass, and a few other flowers that I can't remember.

You can see a wild plum tree in this picture. That was a gift from my dad and I didn't know where to put it, so this was intended to be a temporary placeholder! LOL I plan to dig it up now and move it to a new place that I've just created.

And where you see the hummingbird feeder (center left), I planted a Sweetbay Magnolia last year. It hasn't done well over the winter, though, so I'm thinking about moving it. That location is pretty much the line where it goes from full sun to part sun / dappled.

I have an impact sprinkler nearby so water shouldn't be an issue. It's also notable that the soil is probably acidic from the pine trees. My tap water (well water) is slightly acidic, too; maybe 6.4.

Any suggestions for what I might put in place of the wild plum tree? And/or in place of the Magnolia?

I bought a Fluffy arborvitae last year with the intention of putting it in place of the plum, but it died over the winter :-(

I'd really consider digging it ALL up and doing something different, but I'm not sure that time or money allows for that :-/

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (9)