SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

To Prune or not to Prune Tall Brugmansia ?

doriswk
last year
last modified: last year

I received this brugmansia last fall when it was just about to bloom ( first picture). Being in Canada I am overwintering it in a basement that is a bit on the cool side and has only minimal light from a small window. It dropped all leaves, but has sprouted some new, see the other pics. Planning to leave it there abt. another month, then move it upstairs near an E facing window for another month. Then harden it off and move outdoors mid to end May, weather permitting.

1) should I remove the new leaves as it will be in the same cool darkish spot for one more month ? Or should I leave them on and possibly move the plant upstairs earlier ?

2) The tallest stem, the only one with the V is ca 4.5 ' tall incl the pot. I have no idea how much it will grow in the 4 to 4.5 month it can remain outdoors. I was going to prune the 2 tall stems, but then read that blooms only come above a fork or Y, and that it can take several years for a Y to form. I don't want to up end it's flowering capacity this year, in the contrary. But I also read that pruning stimulates grows.

Looking for advice from some more experienced members please.

Comments (13)