SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_heller56

Humidity Dry Air Issues.

SHM 9800
last year

Sorry in advance for this long rambling message.

On our fourth winter in a NJ new to us house built 1968. 3 zone baseboard gas heat with an older (25 years) Buderus unit in basement. Had it repaired a few times but all the contractors say it’s good unit. 1 zone AC unit in attic. 2 floors with a recently finished and insulated basement. Home energy audit said basement is insulated well.

• House is extremely dry. Humidity drops to low 20’s in winter.

• Very drafty with super cold spots. But better since we added a wire to our AC in attic connected to thermostat so the fan kicks on in winter approximately every hour (I think) to circulate air. Heat is not kicking on as much.

• Replaced original wooden windows. Removed all casing and added spray foam behind them.

• DIY - layed more insulation in attic over older blown in cellulose that wasn’t high enough most likely because it’s was 10 years old according to home energy audit. New insulation has a good R value. Added extra insulation in attic around sides of house. I think this did help a little because the top
    of my head and nose would get so cold and hurt and it is not as bad.

• working on saving money to replace all the outer doors hoping that helps.

• I had vents cleaned because I didn’t know what was bothering me at first, thought it was the something in the air. But then I realized it was humidity and got those meters for a few rooms.

• there is a cover that zips on my steps to the attic but I am not sure if it’s insulated. My thermo gun shows it’s cold.

I have older canned lighting which I think I need to take out because cold air is coming from them

I removed all switch and light covers and put insulation in them.

I painted a beautiful built in bar in house and paint is cracking terribly. And I know it’s not me because I have painted furniture for years. I put in beautiful brand new hard wood floors and they are cracking and flooring inspector said it was because of humidity.

We had a very mild winter in NJ this year and it wasn’t so cold so I got lucky but I can’t handle it. It still is so dry. My dream house but I think I need to move. But inventory still low in my area and interest rates so high. I feel so sick all the time in winter. Headaches. I work from homes and I can’t think at straight. My skin is so dry. My chest hurts to breath. My eyes are like sandpaper . My husband thinks I am crazy. Nothing bothers him and he just won’t admit there is an issue. He won’t move and I don’t know what to do. I am obsessed over the issues and he just doesn’t care and tunes me out. I do all the research and figure out what to fix. I can’t wait to just go to bed every night and be done with it.

I have a radar thermo gun and can see some of the walls have sunken insulation and the energy audit confirmed that. More money to fix.

I have a humidifier full blast in my bedroom and as soon as I cook dinner I have to go right to bed so I can breath. I look forward to my hot showers and I purposely cook in the kitchen as much as I can to add humidity with boiling water and washing dishes.

I am tired. I am constantly filling humidifiers and making myself crazy. If I forget to put lotion on my skin it just hurts and my clothes just stick to me.

I have dumped so much money in this house. And I don’t want to put more into it if I don’t get results. BTW home energy audit was done by a company recommended by my gas company. It was an insulation company and they are just after my money and state funding. They quoted me minimum 12k and may have to replace my boiler if the house didn’t pass the government final inspection.

My old house had a humidifier on the forced hot air oil furnace. I have been told I can add one to a gas boiler.

So after all that rambling…………….

My question is since I now have the AC fan on to circulate air in the winter can I possibly add a humidifier in the attic to AC to just use in winter and not use it in summer just winter?

I have not been able to figure this one out. Please help this crazy lady. 🤪😜

Comments (3)