SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Party with perhaps no guests

Lars
last year
last modified: last year

Here's the invitation I created for Kevin's birthday party for next weekend (without full address and phone numbers). His birthday is the 16th, but he wanted the party on a Saturday. I emailed invitations to everyone I knew in Palm Springs (sadly not that many) and included our real estate agent, who had told me earlier that he would invite his friends so that we could have something of a crowd. He had invited me to a party about two blocks from our house that was well attended, and I liked all of the people there. However, when I sent him the invitation, he responded with regrets saying that he would be in Idaho that weekend for his grandmother's 100th birthday. If he does not come, then his friends would not either.

I also posted the invitation on Facebook (for friends' viewing only), but I don't have that many friends on FB (I rarely go there anyway), and only one who is in Palm Springs. He is a film maker that I met in San Francisco in 1982, but I haven't seen him in 40 years. I did send him a personal invitation and told him to invite friends, if he will be in Palm Springs that weekend.

I did not put RSVP on the invitation, to make it more casual, but so far, no one has told me that they will attend. Most of the people we know are in L.A., or much further away, and we've mostly only had contractors and workers at our, and mostly not for entertaining. Kevin has friends at work who live only about an hour's drive from Palm Springs, and he said possibly some of them would drive in just for the day.

I do not think it would be easy to get hotel reservations in Palm Springs for that weekend, since it is peak tourist season and may also be Spring Break. Also, it will be St Patrick's weekend, and some people may be going to other cities for that, according to Kevin.

I'm not exactly sure how to prepare for this party. I do not want to have too much food, but I want to have enough. We will be going back to L.A. the Monday after the party.

I plan to make a fair amount of pizza dough and store most of it in the fridge. Then if more people show up, I will have it. If I have excess dough to use, then I will make some flatbread to have with hummus that I will be making. I'll also make bean dip and probably a bleu cheese dip, and I think these will store easily, if they do not get used up. I hope there are still lemons on the lemon tree in our patio, but I'm taking some anyway.

What would you do in this situation?

If anyone will be in Palm Springs that weekend, message me, and I will give you the correct address!

Comments (97)

Sponsored
Threshold Design and Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Design + Build Services in Mecklenburg County, VA