SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian130

Looking for feedback / inspiration on kitchen update journey

Brian Kay
last year

I'm looking for some feedback and inspiration on a potential kitchen remodel / update and am at the very, very early stages of beginning to think through it. These images are from when we bought the house and basically take you in a circle around the kitchen. We have since replaced the fridge and the oven, both to more modern stainless appliances.

We aren't looking for a massive overhaul, we just don't want to invest that much time, energy, and money into it beyond a facelift and a little demo.

Our most pressing concern is the counters, and it's two-fold. One, we HATE the tile and grout. Two - we hate the two-tier bar area. It doesn't function well as somewhere to eat all while making drastically reducing useable counter space. Removing it all to one level would also open the space up.

Beyond that, we'd replace the sink, drop in a new 30" cooktop, a new hood, and a new backsplash all around (maybe with something solid behind the cooktop for easier cleanup). I'd love a 36" cooktop for additional space, but don't have the width needed for the hood and I don't know how the needed space could easily be added.

That is what we envision as a first phase. Later, we'd likely paint the walls and refinish/paint the cabinets. But as I said, our biggest priority is getting more usable space and getting rid of the tile and grout.

Any thoughts or feedback or considerations to keep in mind (or that we may be overlooking) on this, mostly with phase one? Anything you would do, or wouldn't do? Any thoughts specifically on chopping off the bar and making it all one counter-height level? We don't yet have a material in mind, but we're looking for something durable, low maintenance, and cost effective. We don't need expensive granite or quartz and are fine with more budget-friendly alternatives as long as they are durable, don't need regular maintenance, and of course that they look good. Any recommendations on that? I know I'd also need to find a home for those two outlets on the bar, maybe one on the side and the other on the backside. Lastly, is there any straightforward way of getting a 36 inch hood to work? I don't think so, but figure it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

Comment