SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Daylily seedlings 2023

It is time for you to show your lovely daylily seedlings! Go crazy! No limit we want to see them all!

Bad joke of the day: Bad puns, that’s how eye roll!

No seedlings for me…..I am starting a succulent garden.

Sherry

Comments (53)

• shive
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sherry - Thanks so much for doing the Alphabet posts. I've enjoyed the bad jokes and all the wonderful daylily pictures. The succulants in your photo aren't real are they? The pots appear to be made of Legos. Be careful what you ask for. I've got around 40 seedlings that I "like."

Brad - All of those seedlings are pretty. My favorites are Bombay Silk X Vintage Wine, the Chance Encounter kids, and Bali Watercolor x Sugar Magnolia.

Maryl - "Rudy's Sister" is a pretty yellow UF. I like its green throat.

I'll post mine a few at a time this week.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

Sherry, thanks for the alphabet pots> It sure passes the time during the bleak winter months. I have enjoyed your puns and the last one was one of the best. I bet it would be hard to kill those succulents.

Maryl, Ruby's Sister is nice. I like the green throat.

Brad, you have a nice collection of purple and lavender seedlings. I especially like Elegant Candy X Vintage Wine (I like the watermark) and Bali Watercolor X Sugar Magnolia.

The term 'no limit' is a dangerous one because you all know I have a lot of seedling photos. I will try to arrange them in groups and submit over several days.

Diploids seedlings will be the first group. Bob and I never hybridized many dips until three years ago. We were working primarily on small dips, but have now expanded to late dips and tall dips. These are all small dips.

Little Lemon Twist X Galaxy Explosion

These three are all Galaxy Explosion X Pixie Dragon.

Little Donny Darko X Night Dreams

Itsy Bitsy Spider X Indelible Blood

Little Lemon Twist X Mary Ethel Anderson.

Nutmeg Elf X Out of Balance

Rosalind X Mary Ethel Anderson

More to come later . . .

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Related Discussions

X, Y and Z daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (18)
    Year of Jubilee, a Korth, is too early to fully evaluate, but this should be the year for it to display if it is going to. Korths can be uneven, since some of the tender crosses don't eventually prove as hardy and vigorous as touted. Kay, I have spent at least 15 hours weeding the garden already this year. The older one gets, the harder it is to get into shape. And lots of use for the knee pad. For now, though, the garden is pretty much weeded. There will be more work later.
    ...See More

Yellow Daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (26)
    Avon Sunrise is by a hybridizer I am not familiar with. Sour Puss has warm hues with its green heart and peach shading. A Shooter, I see. Diploids in general I find need more dividing to maintain bloom quantity. Siloam Amazing Grace is a nice clear yellow. Mister Butters had a good year. In general, earlier plants performed better, when they could withstand an onslaught of earwigs. How many earwigs didn't I kill? Saul has slain his thousands, but I think I matched that (with little effect, as they were in the ten thousands). Butter Cream was nice (but again plagued by earwigs). Catherine Folker had a very good year. A large-flowered polychrome, but yellow and green are dominant. Always has instant rebloom. A ML. Good height. A Joiner evergreen that performs well, selected by Richard Norris years ago from a garden he visited. Green Mystique has a precise and dainty edge. Seemed closer to five rather than six inches, perhaps because of the slight recurve. Gives a respectable performance most years--and that kind of performance this past year made one stand out. Sarah Christine looked pretty good. A softer yellow, which is usually what I prefer. Crintonic Mister Apollo may be a good performer. As well as Green Icon. We shall see.
    ...See More

Near White Daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (10)
    Nan and Sherry - Thanks for the comments on the seedlings! About half of my near whites either didn't bloom or were eaten by deer. Here are two seedlings that bloomed for the first time last year:. Both bloomed as lates, and I hope they will be lates in the future. (August Frost X Winter's Angel) X Last Snowflake Zuzu's Treasure X Believe in Angels - This one sometimes looks white and other times looks very light yellow. It had bud counts in the mid teens. Nan - I like your photo of Last Snowflake. I missed mine last year since it didn't scape at all. Celeste - I love that photo of White Satin, and also your Forsyth Summer Snow X Green Icon. That is an amazing edge on your Awaken the Dawn seedling! Sherry - Sunday Gloves looks so white! I always like your photos of How High the Moon! Debra
    ...See More

Lavender Daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (26)
    Spiritual Corridor did nothing this year. The Coco's Curiosity and Untamed Heart seedlings look interesting. As much bud count as the parents? Magic Amethyst tended to be splotchy in the spot I had it, right next to Born to Reign, which was exasperatingly splotchy. However, when I move things to the estate garden, which has more sun and a higher elevation (even though just a few blocks away), there is much less splotchiness with many cultivars. Jewel of the Oasis is a sparkling color. Carolina Cool Down was a shadow of last year's performance, but still good. It's a big plant, but I trim leaves in consideration of neighbors. ^iagra Falls had a good year. Because of, or in spite of, the winter/spring? A good question for any of those that had a good year. Like many lavenders, it does not like hot mid-day sun and loses the impact of the bluish eye in more sun. Emmerich's Character Witness turned out to be an interesting color. Davisson's Love Song was quite good in spite of.... Hanson's Sea World was pleasing. An older Moldovan, Pewter Lake, shone again as a neighboring bush was affected by the winter. Pray Without Ceasing looked good in this photo, but as a young plant, it had some splotches. Not a good year to judge splotches, as many were more prone. Marian Cavanaugh attracts attention in the garden, but does not have the ideal plant habit that Curt strives for. Spiritual Corridor did nothing this year. The Coco's Curiosity and Untamed Heart seedlings look interesting. As much bud count as the parents? Magic Amethyst tended to be splotchy in the spot I had it, right next to Born to Reign, which was exasperatingly splotchy. However, when I move things to the estate garden, which has more sun and a higher elevation (even though just a few blocks away), there is much less splotchiness with many cultivars. Jewel of the Oasis is a sparkling color. Carolina Cool Down was a shadow of last year's performance, but still good. It's a big plant, but I trim leaves in consideration of neighbors. ^iagra Falls had a good year. Because of, or in spite of, the winter/spring? A good question for any of those that had a good year. Like many lavenders, it does not like hot mid-day sun and loses the impact of the bluish eye in more sun. Emmerich's Character Witness turned out to be an interesting color. Davisson's Love Song was quite good in spite of.... Hanson's Sea World was pleasing. An older Moldovan, Pewter Lake, shone again as a neighboring bush was affected by the winter. Pray Without Ceasing looked good in this photo, but as a young plant, it had some splotches. Not a good year to judge splotches, as many were more prone. Marian Cavanaugh attracts attention in the garden, but does not have the ideal plant habit that Curt strives for.
    ...See More
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Keep posting your babies, I will be checking every day to see what has been created. I have enjoyed doing the posts too! It’s good to hear you enjoyed it this year!

My succulents are Legos! I can’t kill them! I do pretty good with houseplants but those real succulents have been a challenge for me.

Here is my bee pollen seedling, Red Volunteer is the parent. It had been growing in total shade for years….I moved it last season to see what some sun would do to it. Nothing special but it is mine.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Nancy, Little Lemon Twist X Galaxy Explosion is very striking! Little Donny Darko X Night Dreams is a great dark one.

Sherry, I know what you mean by "it is mine".

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Debra, all are beauties, it’s been fun watching their progress over the past few seasons. Great news about the Queen selling out for you.

I hope everyone has more to show us.

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    last year

I have dozens of worthy seedlings to share but I don't want to be a space 'hog' and show them all. There are just too many! This hybridizing and seed-selling hobby has gotten out of hand and even though I finally culled a couple hundred last summer, I still find it difficult. I have both diploid and tetra seedlings so I wonder if I should do it in segments like others have mentioned? It's hard to narrow it down to the top seedlings because of the sheer numbers but I'll start with these and add more later.

TETRAS first.....

I have had this one for about 3 years now and it has amazing vigor, color and fertility. Blooms are 7 inches and bud count is 22+ which is excellent for my New Hampshire garden. 4-way branching.

Disturbance in the Force x Party Every Day

Here are more; no time to post commentary but will list the crosses:

Jerry Hyatt x Astral Voyager

Clown Parade x Westbourne Good Old Days

Lotus Position x Clown Parade

Ocean Pearl x Crintonic Rain Dances

reverse cross: Crintonic Rain Dances x Ocean Pearl

Celebrate the Day x Arnold's Daughter

Heavenly Fire Arrow x Panic in Detroit

Teddy Bears Picnic x Diana Grenfell, has spots

Marquee Moon x Lotus Position

Aliens in the Garden x Heavenly Way Big

Jerry Hyatt x Mountain Bluebird

Inquire Within x Incendiary

Kitty Bannerman x Spacecoast Francis Busby

The Thin Air x Sparkling Giants

Teddy Bears Picnic x Jerry Hyatt

Diana Grenfell x Jerry Hyatt

Stealth Bomber x Princess Syndrome

That's just the tip of the iceberg for Tetra photos! How's that for being a 'photo hog'??

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • shive
    last year

Celeste - Those are beauties. I remember the first one from when you posted it before - just fabulous colors! I'm wowed by Westbrn. Good Old Days X Clown Parade too! Post as many seedlings as you would like. We will love seeing them!

Debra

last year

Debra, congrats on selling out on Bubblegum Queen. It is a beauty. The scapes on Destined to See X Unk are amazing--such branching and bud count! It's so nice to see that performance on a lovely flower.

Celeste, your seedlings are wonderful! I like the Disturbance in the Force seedling. I bet that one is excellent in a clump. That coloring probably would catch your attention across the garden. The Aliens in the Garden poly is one of the nicest I have seen. Does it poly often? I also like The Thin Air seedling.

Nancy

last year

I will show some tet teeth seedlings now.

Pineapple Bites X Extreme Tangerine

Deadliest Catch X The Bride of Dracula

Chomp X Mitch Lynd

This one is labeled Bass Gibson X Forestlake Laura Lee Harding. The color makes me think it is not.

Pineapple Bites X Wandering Werribee

Happy Holidays X Sea of Cinders

Lady Stephanie Victoria Redding X Man-eating Bat

Ruffled Strawberry Parfait X Spacecoast Alpha Wolf

Susan Ruoff X Fruitful Discovery

Interview with a Vampire X Crimson Stories

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

Everyone, there are a boatload of seedlings that I like. Here are the highlights: Brad's Elegant Candy x Vintage Wine; Nancy's Little Donnie Darko x Night Dreams; Debra's Inimitable x Moonlit Caress; Celeste's - all of your round ones; Nancy's Pineapple Bites X Wandering Werribee and Ruffled Strawberry Parfait X Spacecoast Alpha Wolf.

Here are my seedlings:

Seedling 1 - Parentage unknown. I believe it is from Ed Burton on the Lily Auction

Seedling #2 Desire of Nations seedling. Will get moved out of the seedling patch.

Seedling #3 Not the best picture but it is out of LINDA SIERRA.

Seedling #4 Victorian Lace X Boundless Beauty

Seedling #5

Seedling #6 Victorian Lace x Boundless Beauty 2

Seedling #7 Linda Sierra Seedling 2

Seedling #8 Frieda Allen Jerrell x Inquire Within

That is all from me.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Wow so many great seedlings.

Debra, Bubblegum Queen is so pretty. I also really like Amethyst Prism X Blazing Saddles, nice vivid colors.

Celeste, Hard to choose from amongst yours for me too. Clown Parade x Westbourne Good Old Days is a top favorite of yours. Next is Ocean Pearl x Crintonic Rain Dances. I also really like Jerry Hyatt x Mountain Bluebird, Stealth Bomber x Princess Syndrome, and Kitty Bannerman x Spacecoast Francis Busby.

David, I especially like Seedling #8 Frieda Allen Jerrell x Inquire Within, Seedling 2 & Seedling 3.

More seedlings; slower start than the first group I posted, but I am hopeful.

1. First Light x Indian Giver 3

Smoky Mt. Autumn x Jolyene Nichole 1

Smoky x Jolyene 3. Only a couple of buds, but I hope it will improve. So pretty.

Wind frills x VT Rose Rosy 15 buds the first year, 9", 36". Good genes, great potential.

VT Rose Rosy x North Wind Dancer. Hopefull with these genetics too.

So Lovely x VT Fondly Kin

Unknown. 6 1/2, 22, 6 buds, lots of vevelty black on the flower.

Another unknown. 8 1/2, 17

That's all

Brad

• shive
    last year

How exciting to see so many marvelous seedlings on this thread!

Celeste - You posted even more fantastic ones after I saw the first four last night. The ones that stood out to me were Ocean Pearl X Crintonic Rain Dances, Kitty Bannerman X SC Fran. Busby, and Teddy Bear's Picnic X Jerry Hyatt.

Nan - Chomp X Mitch Lynd, Pineapple Bites X Wandering Werribee, and Ruff. Strawberry Parfait X SC Alpha Wolf all grabbed my attention. I have SC Alpha Wolf coming this Spring, and I'm so excited about it. Thanks for commenting on the branching and bud count on DTS X Unknown. It's a yellow, so it doesn't get much attention, but it sure has great plant habits. I'm crossing it with all colors now to see if it passes on that high branching and bud count.

David - Seedlings 1, 2 and 6 are my favorites of yours.

Brad - I especially like Rose Rosy X NWD and both of the Smoky Mt. babies!

Debra

• organic_kitten
    last year

Sherry, I like all the colors and like everyone else, I have enjoyed the alphabet series and your puns. There are so many lovely seedlings.

That is a nice yellow, Maryl

Celeste, I particularly like your Disturbance in the Force x Party Every Day, and Jerry Hyatt x Mountain Bluebird(what a luscious color).

Debra, you have amazing seedlings. Of course, I have added Bubblegum Queen and I really like Amethyst Prism X Blazing Saddles .

Nancy, so many of the toothy ones are the colors I love, but let me see if I can pick a couple; Pineapple Bites X Extreme Tangerine , Deadliest Catch X The Bride of Dracula ,
    Happy Holidays X Sea of Cinders , and Lady Stephanie Victoria Redding X Man-eating Bat .

David, Seedling #2 Desire of Nations seedling is a nice one. worth watching closely.

Brad, I can see why you like Smoky x Jolyene , And I really like your Another unknown. 8 1/2, 17 .

Love to see all the work, I don't hybridize, I just buy what you grow.

kay

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • celeste/NH
    last year

Than you all for your photo contributions and also kind comments on my seedlings. There are so many worthy seedlings pictured it is a task to pick favorites! Kudos to all of you!

I have a few more Tetras to add today: This one has all the attributes of a keeper seedling. Tall, 4 way branching, great spacing between blooms, high bud count, colorfast, good increase. This is Increased Complexity x Jerry Hyatt. It is only a 3 yr. old seedling but has great promise.

The next 3 are a cross of Ron Valente x Jerry Hyatt:

A sibling seedling

3rd one from that cross is a bitone

This is a cross of Casco Bay Delight x Joe The Plumber

Spacecoast Francis Busby x Shores of Time

I forget the exact cross but this is out of Princess Syndrome

Tantra Boogie x White Eyes Pink Dragon

Leotha x Claudine's Charm

Kitty Bannerman x Charles Can't Have It

John Karl Seager x Bali Watercolor

This next one is being kept because of it's massive size and incredible performance. I don't grow or like that many orange daylilies but this one has 'wowed' me from the first bloom. Blooms are 10 inches across and the height is around 40 inches. It got moved into a sunnier location in the fall because it was growing under the shade of a huge oak tree but still performed wonderfully. Heavenly Orange Scorcher x Heavenly Way Big

Blessed Art Thou x Princess Syndrome, creped texture

lost tag seedling/one parent is Olly Olly Oxen Free

Ron Valente x Cloak and Dagger (didn't expect the rich red color!)

sibling of a seedling already posted: Stealth Bomber x Princess Syndrome

Olly Olly Oxen Free x Crintonic Rain Dances

a medley of young seedlings

Diana Grenfell x Alien Data Base

Aliens in the Garden x Heavenly Way Big, sib to the darker one posted earlier

Deepwater Horizon x Allie Katt

Ron Valente x Cloak and Dagger (sibling to the red one above)

That's enough of the Tets. I will post the diploids later on.

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Celeste, you sure know how to hit my sweet spot with the colors of your seedlings.

Absolutely love: the first one of Ron Valente x Jerry Hyatt; Olly Olly Oxen Free x Crintonic Rain Dances; Leotha x Claudine's Charm; Ron Valente x Cloak and Dagger purple;

Also really like: Ron Valente x Cloak and Dagger, red; Blessed Art Thou x Princess Syndrome, creped texture; Increased Complexity x Jerry Hyatt.

Keep them coming!

Brad

• shive
    last year

Here are some of my seedlings that have enough buds to consider registering.

Razor Sharp X SC Night Vision - Good multiplier, rebloomer, and parent.

Scarlet Angel x Barbara Mandrell - Bud count in the high teens, reblooms, sets pods.

Buddy's Victoria Jade X Skin of My Teeth - 6 inch bloom on 27 inch scapes with an average of 16 buds. Reblooms and sets pods. Has moderate increase.

The Ultimate Sacrifice X Red Edition - I thought this one would be ready for registration by now, But the grubs got to it two falls ago, and it lost fans. I hope I can rejuvenate it. Bud counts up to the high teens and low 20s, reblooms well, sets pods.

(Palace Garden Beauty x Karelia) x This Longing - Multiplies slower than I would like, reblooms, sets pods.

Perseus Sandals X Jumping Jack Flash - Multiplies fast, reblooms, sunfast in hundred degree temps. It has a 10-inch bloom on 40-inch scapes.

Dancing Flamingo X Neon Flamingo - Bud counts in the high teens, fast multiplier. Beautiful pinkish red color.

Dancing Flamingo X Red Venom - Huge 8 inch flowers, reblooms, had bud counts in the high teens last year. Scapes are still shorter than I would like (26 inches), but that may be due to grub feasting.

SC Francis Busby X Blazing Cannons - 7-inch blooms on 34-36 inch scapes, high bud counts of 15 and 17, good rebloomer.

(Alan Lane Agin X Cosmic Sensation) x Skin of My Teeth (garden named "Leonard") - Bud counts ranging from 13-24, reblooms, multiplies well, sets pods. Scapes range from 34-36 inches, but the flower is only about 5.5 inches. In general, I don't care for daylilies with blooms under six inches on 36-inch scapes. How do you guys feel about that?

"Leonard" in a clump

Innocent Discovery X Dearest Valentine - Bud counts in the mid teens, multiplies well, reblooms.

Zuzu's Treasure X Dearest Valentine - 6- inch blooms on 34-inch scapes. High bud count of 24. Multiplies well and sets pods.

More to come later!

Debra

• celeste/NH
    last year

Debra, I like this set the best! All are terrific. My favorites are the reds, Scarlet Angel x Barbara Mandrell (scrumptious!) and SC Francis Busby x Blazing Cannons (awesome!). I would buy either of those. And of course, Leonard is just wonderful and the bloom size wouldn't deter me. I also like the first seedling Razor Sharp x SC Night Vision. I'm starting to acquire more toothy daylilies and hoping to have some seedlings bloom this summer from them. Speaking of toothy ones, I love the set of toothies by hoosier_nan. I am surprised that I like the orange ones a lot, with the nice contrasting edges. Great job, Nancy! Great job, EVERYONE!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Debra, for me the bloom size doesn‘t matter if the bud count is high. That‘s why I love Her Best Bloomers and Coyote Moon in my garden. There are so many blooms you don’t really miss the large size.

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

I am adding a seedling Debra sent me that she isn’t registering. It is an exmple of a smaller bloom with lots of buds. I believe it has done better here than it did in Debra’s garden. A simple bloom in a lovely pink, Chance Encounter X Never Been Kissed.

Sherry

• shive
    last year

Sherry - That is such a pretty picture of the pink seedling. I have moved mine to see if it will do better in a new place.

Celeste - I love the colors in your second set. You really have a lot of promising seedlings! I'm glad you like my reds. The Scarlet Angel kid is an evergreen, and The SC Francis Busby baby is a semi-evergreen. I may be able to register those in two to three years.

Here are some others that don't yet have the bud count they need, but that I really like:

(Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise) X Bubblegum Queen - First year to bloom, so it should get better in the future.

Biltmore Style X Cool Hand Luke - This one is surrounded by taller seedlings. The first year it bloomed, it had 15 buds, but last year only 9 and 10.

Coco's Curiosity X Cexy Samantha - Short scapes, excellent multiplier and rebloomer.

Core Values X Bow Tie Affair

Dragonfly Dawn X Bow Tie Affair

Dancing Flamingo X Neon Flamingo #2 - 10 inch blooms on 40-inch scapes. Last year only had 10-11 buds. Good multiplier though.

Destined to See X Back Scratcher seedling - This one multiplies like crazy, now having 23 fans. But the most buds I've ever gotten on it is 12. Maybe if divided and planted in another location, the bud count might improve. I really love the color, the toothy edge and the bitone look.

Grandma's Smile X Bubblegum Delicious - Slow multiplier, good rebloomer, looking for more buds with a rainier Spring.

(Insider Trading X The Ultimate Sacrifice) x (The Ultimate Sacrifice x Red Edition) - First time bloomer that got moved to a better sun position last fall.

Mayans' Dawn X The Ultimate Sacrifice - This is a late bloomer that I would like to introduce, but it multiplies slowly. It has gotten 15-16 buds in past years.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Debra, The bitones are my favorite…..probably because I only have a few here so they catch my attention. You and Celeste have so many seedling that appeal to me.

Sherry

last year

Oh, my, so many more beautiful ones I don't know where to start.

Debra, there are so many beauties in the last bunch, but I particularly like Core Values X Bow Tie Affair, Biltmore Style X Cool Hand Luke, and Perseus' Sandals X Jitterbug Blues from the previous group.

Celeste, I really like Tantra Boogie X White Eyes Pink Dragon (the shape is wonderful, nice watermark took).

Brad, I like VT Rose Rosy X Northwind Dancer.

David, I like the Desire of Nations seedling.

Here are a few more seedlings--all tets.

Fooled Me X Rocky Top

New Tangerine Twist X Susan Ruoff

Let's Dance Tonight X Empire of Dawn and Dusk

Buddy's Betsy X Heavenly Bengal Tiger

Von Rock X Snidely Whiplash (please ignore the stick in front of the bloom)

Jena Sallenger X Patricia Ann's Calliopsis

Pink Stripes X Perfect Pose

(Fulva Korean X Ted's Tribute to Linda) X Colorful Chaos Nelli

Belle of Ashwood X Shores of Time

(Fulva Yunnan X Empire of Dawn and Dusk) X Crimson Stories

That's all for me.

Nancy

• lilykate7a
    last year

Can I just say I am in awe of all these fabulous seedlings?!! You guys have done a terrific job with your crosses and there is something for everyone here.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • shive
    last year

Nan - Thanks for your comments on my seedlings! I made a mistake when I listed the cross for the dark purple UF. It should have been Perseus' Sandals X Jumping Jack Flash. I guess my brain short-circuited when I typed a J name. I really like your Belle of Ashwood X Shores of Time. All pinks get my attention. Do you remember if that was the pink seedling I liked from last summer? Jena Sall. X Patricia Ann's C. is an attactive bitone, and I really like Fooled Me X Rocky Top. Does that one always have the pinched petals? It looks like the perfect UF in that photo!

Celeste - Razor Sharp X SC Night Vision just keeps getting better and better - until last year's Spring with no rain. It went from 5 buds its first year to bloom, to 9 the next, and high bud counts of 17 and 23 the third year. I should have some of its kids bloom this year. I do love toothy purples! It will be interesting to see what you get from your foray into toothy hybridizing.

Debra

last year

Debra, Belle of Ashwood X Shores of Time is the one you liked last season. I am planning on sending you one this spring if you still want it. I'm am not sure if Fooled Me X Rocky Top always has those pinched petals. I hope it does, but it is something we need to observe this season. We registered Rocky Top, the pollen parent, as a crispate UF, but I think that was a mistake, because the pinching is not as consistent as it should be.

Nancy

• celeste/NH
    last year

I'm not sure if there's still interest but I have an entire set of diploid seedlings.

The first one is HUGE and came from parents that are not huge. This one is a cross of Forsyth Summer Snow x Green Icon. It is a 8-9 inch bloom (first blooms are largest) and stands over 40 inches tall. It clumped up quickly to about 12 fans in 3 years, blooms have great substance which stand up to rain, wind and heat, good bud count. It's only a 3 yr. old plant but I have high hopes for it. The green is very apparent in person, almost shocking. It is also pleasantly fragrant!

Cat Dancer x Navajo Pony (tall like it's pollen parent)

Simplicity in Motion x Orchid Corsage, is a bud-builder into the late season

a totally unexpected color from the cross of Honey, I Shrunk the Cat x Monacan Trail:

It's tall and also a bud builder

I may have shown this before, Bentley Samuel x Red River Dancer:

Spirit of the Dove x Green Icon, a large bloom with a very green throat

Carmen Renee x All My Kittens, great color from the pollen parent; love the red filaments

This one is doing the twist! Shuffle the Deck x Pink Princess Slippers

Sky Over Schuyler x Dream Sequence, showing a few teeth

Running in the Rain x North Wind Dancer, a very large bloom

One Cat Too Many x Westbourne a Chip Off the Ol' Block

Patrick Starfish x Cliffjumper

Ink and Pink x Exotic Starfish, a smaller size bloom, about 4 1/2 inches

A soft pastel bitone; blooms are held upfacing like a trumpet lily; Sky Over Schuyler x Dream Sequence

Bob Faulkner x Darin Boyles, very dark purple, great height and branching

Carmen Renee x Dream Sequence

Angel in Oz x Malachite Sunbird

I LOVE this one: Smoke Scream x Malachite Sunbird

THIS IS THE FIRST SET. IF ANYONE HAS INTEREST IN SEEING MORE DIPLOIDS, I HAVE MORE!

• shive
    last year

Celeste - Please, post more! I love the UF and large diploids. My favorites are the ones with Green Icon as the pollen parent. Others that stood out to me were Simplicity in Motion x Orchid Corsage, Running in the Rain x NWD, and Shuffle the Deck X Pink Princess Slippers.

Here are some more of mine that are keepers:

Abilene Lillian X Ruby Lipstick #2

Abilene Lillian X Ruby Lipstick 1

Nan - I'm sending you fans of those two above this Spring!

Davisson Seedling X (Alan Lane Agin x Cosmic Sensation)

Dearest Valentine X Unk

Everything You Desire X Dearest Valentine

Integrated Logistics x Sugar Magnolia

Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise

(Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise) X Secret of Contentment

(Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise) X Old Time Italian

No Boys Allowed X Entwined in the Vine

Carolina Cool Down X (Blazing Saddles x Awesome Applique)

(Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise) x Pink Aloha

Cexy Samantha X Bubblegum Delicious 2

Cexy Samantha X Bubblegum Delicious 4

Debra

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

Debra,

My favorite of this bunch is Everything You Desire X Dearest Valentine. I love the color, the halo and the serated edge. I have been tempted to purchase EYD, but am concerned about its ability to survive in Zone 5.

David

• shive
    last year

David - Thanks for your comment on Everything You Desire x Dearest Valentine. I like the flower on that one too, but it's a very slow multiplier. I don't know if Everything You Desire would work in your climate or not. It's not the least bit tender here, but all of the Petits seem to do well for me.

Debra

• shive
    last year

This will be the last batch of my seedling photos. These are mostly new seedlings that first bloomed last year.

White Tooth has been a terrific parent for me. Here are some of those seedlings.

White Tooth X Unk (likely Born in California) has multiplied faster than any other White Tooth kid. I'm hoping for better bud counts on it this year.

White Tooth X Skater 2 reblooms well.

White Tooth X Skater 4 - Multiplies well and reblooms. I love the pattern on the sepals and gradiation of color in the eye.

White Tooth X Skater 5 - Very fast multiplier!

White Tooth X Skater 2R - Good rebloomer, but slow multiplier.

White Tooth X God Save the Queen

Here are two seedlings from the cross of Pink Extraordinaire X Cexy Samantha that show promise.

Pink Extraordinaire x Cexy Samantha 2 has multiplied from one to four fans.

Pink Extraordinaire X Cexy Samantha 3 has gone from one fan last year to seven.

Princess Diary X Dearest Valentine is a good rebloomer. I like the huge watermark and the yellow gold edge.

Stenciled Infusion x Karelia seedling - I was hoping for a patterned bloom, but I got an eyed daylily with great plant habit for its first year to bloom. It was tall with four-way branching and 14 buds right out of the gate in a drought year. Excellent multiplier.

Untamed Heart X So Irresistible - This looked very different than I was expecting but had great plant habit for a first-year bloomer. Another one with four-way branching and 14 buds.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Wow so many. I will highlight my favorites, ones I would enjoy in my garden.

A question for Celeste, which you probably can't answer yet. We all know your soil makes the purple ones more purple. [and I think puts more green into the flowers]. Would that be a permnant effect on your seedings since they began in your soil? You probably couldn't know until they get out to other places. Yes, MORE please.

Nancy, Belle of Ashwood X Shores of Time is a great design and color. Also, although I'm not fond of stripes, your Pink Stripes X Perfect Pose is a great color and the stripes are not "too much".

Celeste, I have always been interested in Cat Dancer but somehow never actually got it. I think I like Cat Dancer x Navajo Pony even more! I love the color of Simplicity in Motion x Orchid Corsage. Carmen Renee x All My Kittens is a great color combo. Very striking. I think Shuffle the Deck x Pink Princess Slippers is my favorite of this entire thread. Love the style and color. Bob Faulkner x Darin Boyles is another beauty for the color and style. Carmen Renee x Dream Sequence is another great purple, Bob Faulkner x Darin Boyles is perhaps my second favorite. Forsyth Summer Snow x Green Icon is interesting; not sure the color would hold in a warmer climate.

Debra, Love the color pattern & style of Abilene Lillian X Ruby Lipstick #2. I love the color and the eyezone on Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise) X Secret of Contentment. I also like the color and style of (Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise) x Pink Aloha [probably my favorite of yours]. Also from the previous group, Dancing Flamingo X Neon Flamingo is a great pink as you noted. I agee with you: I don't like tall daylilies with small flowers.

last year

Debra, thank you for the fans of the your two red and white seedlings. They are gorgeous, and I will put them to work.

Your White Teeth seedlings are also gorgeous. I especially like White Tooth X Skater 4 and 5. The White Tooth X GSTQ is nice too. The Pink Extraordinaire X Cexy Samantha seedlings are really nice too. Oh, heck, they are all beautiful. I hope they all have super scapes for you.

Nancy

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

Debra,

The WHITE TOOTH seedlings all look very good.

David

• shive
    last year

Nan - The White Tooth seedlings you picked as your favorites are my favorites too!

Celeste - We're waiting for that second set of diploid seedlings!

Brad - Natalie Antoinette X Symphony of Praise has been a wonderful parent. The kid you like the best will probably be registered in two to three years. Last year it didn't have many buds, but the year before bud counts were in the high 20s, and it rebloomed. It's either a dormant, or a semi-evergreen with a lot of dormancy. The one with Secret Contentment as the pollen parent is a very slow multiplier, so it probably won't be registered - at least for many years.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    last year

Debra, you always post such lovely seedlings. I am starting to 'focus' on where I'm going in my program. I am new to hybridizing so my earlier efforts were all over the place! This year I should see new seedlings expressing more of what I am aiming for. Round, ruffled, cold-hardy tetras are more to my liking. But I do have a new diploid that I am keeping secret because it is a bit of a break-through and I don't know yet if the plant habits will make it worthy. It bloomed very young. I tend to like almost every form of daylily so it was hard for me to focus....LOL.

More diploids I am keeping for another year:

Bob Faulkner x Darin Boyles, sibling to the very dark purple one I posted earlier

Smoke Scream x Malachite Sunbird, I am very partial to this one

Emerald Starburst x Rose F Kennedy, lots of green

This is a sibling seedling to the one above; it has ribbing and recurves tightly; very fragrant; lots of green expression

This one is a SKYSCRAPER! Liberty Banner x Stargate Portal. It towers over everything in the garden at 62 inches tall. I don't know of any purple dips that are in this height range...do any of you?

....most extremely tall ones are in yellow, red or orange tones. Blooms are about 7 1/2 inches.

Another picture of it:

The next ones are a cross of Transformer x Exotic Starfish. (From seeds I bought off the LA years ago). I probably won't be keeping these but they are nice seedlings.

Another one I probably won't keep: Sky Over Schuyler x Cindy's Lace

Monacan Trail x Celestial Beauty, not my favorite form but kind of cool

Mirror Shades x Darin Boyles

I was going to cull this one since it is on the smallish side but if multiplies like rabbits and is kind of cute. Not sure if I'll keep it or not. It's out of Emerald Starburst, Rose Kennedy and Rainbow Maker.

You just never know what you'll get from a cross. I never expected a bitone with prominent midribs out of the cross of: Simplicity in Motion x Monacan Trail

Sky Over Schuyler x Blue Dolphin.

This one has phenomenal color, branching and size. I will be keeping this one.

Hakuna Matata x Rose Kennedy

• Nancy 6b
    last year

I keep coming back to look at these, so many beautiful ones, I can't list them all. I had a few I thought were nice, I know I took pictures, but apparently those are the ones that were deleted. My keyboard is locking up from the drool. LOL.. Of course, you all know my favorite colors, purples, pinks, reds with watermarks and edges, and there are so, so many here.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Celeste, more great ones, wow. Sky Over Schuyler x Blue Dolphin is absolutely wonderful!!!!!

Others that catch my attention are Bob Faulkner x Darin Boyles, the first and second ones of Transformer x Exotic Starfish, [I might be interested in these if you don't keep them and the bud count is reasonably good] and Sky Over Schuyler x Cindy's Lace.

Brad

• shive
    last year

Celeste - I think it's hard to have a focus when you first start hybridizing. I still have several areas of interest. My efforts are directed mostly by my seedlings that make it registration. My main "focuses" are extra-large sized blooms and flowers with white edges ( be they teeth, baubled, flowing or picotee). I'm surprised to see you are foucsing on round tets. You have so many wonderful narrow and UF types of both dips and tets. I do focus mainly on tets, although I still do one or two UF dip crosses each year.

There are so many nice dips in your second group! I love the silvery lavender color of Bob Faulkner x Darin Boyles and its big green throat. Smoke Scream X Malachite Sunbird has gorgeous colors and an appealing form. I don't think I've ever seen so much green on the sepals as Emerald Starburst x Rose F Kennedy has. Your skyscraper has lovely colors and beautiful UF form. I've never heard of a purple that tall. Most of the very tall ones I know of are yellow. I'm curious about Hakuna Matata x Rose Kennedy. Is the flower small like Hakuna Matata and how are the buds on that one? I would urge you to pursue UFs since you've already got a nice stable of those going.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    last year

THANK YOU to all who like my seedlings! As I said, I am just starting out and I have a little bit of everything going out there in the seedling beds. I just went nuts, with no specific goal in mind....just aiming for pretty! LOL. Therefore, it was so difficult to finally start the dreaded CULL process last summer. I had no room left as hundreds of seedlings were taking up precious real estate. My yard is small so decisions had to be made. Sadly, some very nice seedlings went to the great brush pile in the sky. Brad, you are welcome to the ones you asked about if I decide to chuck them. Debra, I do intend to still do a few UF's but I really love the rounded forms and especially those with ruffles and want to work toward getting ones that don't hang up in my cold climate. I have always admired yours and the work you do but always fear the tangling and the balling that happens after cold nights & mornings here. I've acquired some new plants from northern hybridizers to work with. Our season is so short and rebloom isn't something I am working toward, although that would be frosting on the cake. Very few have time to rebloom here! I do still love the large flowered UF's and I will keep a few worthy ones to work with. There is just SO much to love in the daylily kingdom! Toothy, ruffled, streaked, large, sculpted, spiders, UF's..... I love them all. But I need to FOCUS!

The Hakuna Matata x RFK seedling is 6 1/2 inches across (some were closer to 7 inches at the beginning of the season) according to my journal. I didn't note the bud count or branching, just that I wanted to watch it another year. It's not as tall as Hakuna but taller than RFK. Almost all my seedlings out of RFK are taller than itself.

last year

Celeste, you have a beautiful group of diploids. Your tall one is especially nice (we love the super tall ones). There are a few tall ones in purple but most of them are in the 55--60 inch range. Getting them in colors other than yellow seems to be a challenge. I hope the stats on that one turn out to be good. It would be a welcome addition to the garden. I like both of the Sky over Schuyler ones. Keep working with those dips--you have wonderful ones.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Celeste, I adore your dips! I realize this is my favorite shape now, I gravitate to them first now. It is so nice to see such beauties thriving in your colder climate. Let me know, please, when you decide to cull some of your babies.

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    last year

Thank you for the encouragement, Nancy. Watching your posts and seeing all the toothy seedlings you've created is inspiration. I've crossed over to the 'toothy side'....and have a few seedlings. So much for focusing! LOL. I started buying them to hybridize and sell seeds on the Lily Auction but fell in love with them and grew out a few crosses myself. I haven't seen the fruits of my labor yet but I believe some will bloom this summer. Sherry, I think I will keep a list of friends here who might want my reject seedlings. I will feel better if someone 'adopts' them. I will keep you all updated with a post in late summer and see if there are any 'takers'. I also think it will be fun to see what they will do in other parts of the country.

• Nancy 6b
    last year

I love the seedlings from Transformer x Exotic Starfish, but you have lots of interesting seedlings. Seems like most of my seedlings are so similar to the pod parent, it is not worth it. I do get one I like occasionally, and a few I have gotten rid of the named plant and kept the seedling because it had better plant habits.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Alana8aSC
    last year

Beautiful seedlings. I am a lurker, just starting my collection. Hi to everyone!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Alana8aSC
  • shive
    last year

Hi Alana,

Welcome to the forum. Best wishes on your daylily collection!

Debra

• organic_kitten
    last year

Hello

alana,

Glad to have you here.

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Hi Alana, I hope you enjoy your daylilies and this forum. Welcome.

Brad

• Alana8aSC
    last year

Thank you 😊

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Alana8aSC
  • SeniorBalloon
    last year

I only started doing this last year and only have youngin seedlings that won't flower for another year or two. I love seeings what people are getting and there is so much variation with dayliles.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked SeniorBalloon