SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_567360350

Discolored exterior caulking…..help!!!

HU-567360350
last year
last modified: last year

About 5 years ago we had all of our old wood windows replaced. At the same time, we opted to have all the windows “wrapped” to cover all the wood surfaces. Since then the caulking around the wrap on all of the window sills has turned brown It actually started darkening even after 1 year but we sinply thought it was normal and could eventually be pressure washed off. It has gotten much worse and looks terrible I have tried mant cleaners and even magic eraser and none worked One person mentioned to me that this happened because UV resistant caulk was not used but i have no idea if that is correct Someone else said if i try to scrape off and reapply it will ruin aluminum. Another option i wss told would be to prime and paint it but wouldnt that defeat the purpose of wrapping and having maintenance free windows? We wrapped so that we would not have to paint! The installer insists it has nothing to do with thier caulk and its only environmental factors But i know others in my area who do not have this issue Why would anyone wrap their windows if this will happen? it looks terrible! Every window looks like this pic Some even worse i have several large windows on my deck and we have to sit and look at this Can someone explain the culprit and remedy?

Comments (9)