SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_43509494

Spring 2023 - What Roses Are You Planting In Your Garden?

Kimberly Wendt (Florida Z. 10b)
last year
last modified: last year

New Thread for our Spring 2023 Rose Garden online 'neighborhood'. What are you doing in your garden for 2023? New Roses? New plants? What Spring gardening blessings and woes are you experiencing in your garden space? Grab your favorite coffee, tea or other... and join the Spring 2023 rose garden thread....

Comments (1.4K)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    8 months ago

Kitty, every year I swear that this is the year that I will grow fabulous dahlias and once again I am a dahlia failure. I ordered 3 and only 1 came up and it hasn't even gotten buds on it.

My Datura seeds never came up but my sister had a bunch of volunteers so she gave me 4. My Brugmansia are doing great. Once I realized that they love morning sun only. They were getting a bit crispy but much better now.

My hardy hybiscus are just about to pop but my poor clematis , I dont know who will make it.

Oh the side, my new Elle and Desiree are doing great .

Will you name the Japanese rosroses that you have ? I found her website and have to admit that they are pretty glorious

• Ang NC_7B
    8 months ago

Kitty, all your poppies are so fun! I'm going to start growing some next year.

I am in the height of "beetle season" and the depression from it is all too real, so I'm trying to focus on all my other plants and flowers that are untouched by JB's. Hydrangeas, mornarda, dahlias, jasmine, and echinacea are all going crazy right now and are doing their best to keep me distracted. I'm also trying to get some things inside the house done now that it's a bit hot outside, like reorganizing closets.

• Related Discussions

What roses are you planting this spring?

Q

Comments (8)
    Don't know about north Alabama, having only been born in Haleyville and spent summers there with my cousins, then moved south to Mobile. But I do unnderstand your fascination with roses. This year, I am putting in the ground two Zepherine Drouhans that I bought last summer. They will go on the newly constructed arbor that marks the entry to our back yard. And I have a white Lady Banks also going in the ground close to these pillar types. All of my roses are due to be moved from the bed in the center of a circular drive, so I can line them up more on the property border. My son's favorite is the Don Juan, very fragrant and a dark blood red. I also love the Iceburg, Just Joey, and Joseph's Coat. For a tall rose, try Queen Elizabeth. If you can find Felder Rushing's book, TOUGH PLANTS FOR TOUGH PLACES, he lists the hardiest toughest roses which are his favorites. You might find the rest of his book interesting also.
    ...See More

2022-2023 TROPICAL FLOWERS IN MY ROSE GARDEN

Q

Comments (131)
    March 7, 2023, I repotted 2 Brugmansias yesterday, after growing all winter inside home, into 12” pots still growing in bay window. They have been turned toward sun to straighten out leaves. Pots & Brugs are actually twice as big as photos Jan. 27 above. (They will be moved to bigger pots when it’s warm for outside.) Fruit Salad Brugmansia Angel Sweet Summer Brugmansia March 7, 2023: 3 PASSIFLORAS in bay window of home all doing well, filling out more leaves, BIG inside pots. Possum Purple Passiflora , in second season now, grows the best-it has the most hardy big glossy leaves-overgrowing it’s pot/obelisk & I just don’t want to cut it back-so beautiful & green-little gangly, Lol! ! May Pop, in 3rd season now, sprouted 5 new shoots & has many new long stems filling out obelisk, again. Victoria, in second season now, is nice & green, very full in obelisk! Daily watering makes them all most happy inside/outside! MORE TROPICALS: I’ll add a new African Violet, Orchid, Mandevilla and begonias as warmer weather comes. Anyone adding tropicals to their rose gardens this spring? Love to see photos?
    ...See More

2023 rose & health & garden & what we treasure

Q

Comments (745)
    Jim. Oh dear. You could try putting a basket muzzle on Gracie. She can still drink and you could give her (and Savannah...that's important that they're both fed treats) treats for being good. For example. Get them to sit apart (8 feet) from each other. Both would be on leash. If it's too close (Savannah is trembling, etc.) then move further apart. Gracie would be on leash with you holding (loosely...no tension) a short leash (maybe a foot of leash between you and her). Jerk the leash and say no if she moves towards Savannah or if she growls. She can look at her though. If Gracie is good, give her a cookie saying "Gentle, good gentle). If Savannah is not affected, give her a cookie. You don't want to give her a cookie when she's nervous. Then about 15 minutes later (after separating them), move them back to (7 1/2 feet) from each other...if they did well at 8 feet apart. Otherwise, go back to 8 feet. They should be on leash (when you are both home). Shake it up with not just you holding Gracie's leash. If you want some time away from them, put one in a crate or a different room. This may go on for months. Any time that they're calm around each other...give a treat and say good gentle.
    ...See More

Spring Plant Swap 2023 SA May 13 11:00 Berthoud

Q

Comments (22)
    Hi Alyssa, Here are the directions to private message me to get the address. BE SURE you have Private Messaging enabled on Houzz! To do that: Click on your screen name to go to your “profile page,” then, in the upper right corner hover over “Your Houzz,” then, in the drop-down menu click on “edit profile and settings.” From there, in the left side menu click on “advanced settings,” scroll all the way down to “privacy settings” and in the “who can message me” box, on the drop-down menu click on “allow anyone to message me.” Then click “update” on the bottom on the right side! Also, since houzz took over, when you PM somebody the person who receives the message will NOT get your personal email address unless you put it in the BODY OF THE MESSAGE, so when you send your PM to the host BE SURE you include your email address in the message! Thanks Arborwolf
    ...See More
  • KittyNYz6
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Angi,

Thank you! The poppies are sooo much fun & no JB on them! That sounds great! Work in the house during hot weather & enjoy your other flowers! I squished 10 JB today, guess they love July. In August they will be gone! They have a short life span, Yay! I need to reorganize my closet, but I have tons of gardening still to do.

My gardener is going to dig me my ”Circle Bed” for my Japanese roses, tomorrow! Yay!!!! No more big digging for me; but I will spread good soil on it & dig 9 rose holes, fun! HA! He’s going to carry my soil bags for me! Super Yay!

Kristine, My Japanese Roses all have names. Do you think I need to give them an ”American name?” Yes, Katesroses.com is amazing-beautiful! However, ZephrGardens & CindyKoreasucculents , both on Etsy, both have amazing very large Japanese rose gardens, too! I am falling in love with these amazing unque-Japanese roses!!! Sooooo beautiful!

That is wonderful your brugs & Datura are now growing well. My brugs are ok… morning sun, but maybe mites. All other plants of mine doing well! I am sure your Dahlias just need time to grow…My dahlias were planted way back sooo its time to show some buds! Just barely! Your hibiscus sound great. I hope your clematis are ok. They don’t like the heat I think.

About planting Dahlias, I watched a few videos & reminds me of planting peonies. you point the sausage like tubers down & the stem top where an eye will sprout needs to be right at the surface of soil so it can grow. If planted too deep it won’t sprout coming up. However , some dahlias do not sprout anyway. You have one which will mutiply -so that’s very good! Give it time-it will bud up! You are doing great!

In one video it showed planting tubers sideways

all near surface, which is what I did. So if an eye sprouted anywhere it would be near surface to grow-seemed to work well!

Dahlia bud, one, Lol! 6 Dahlias sprouted.

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

A few blooms today…

JC first flush ever!

Pas de Duex, 1st full bloom

Shinoburedo

Rosemantic Fushia prepares for a flush…

Japanese Iris 1st blooms:

Pink Lady

Good Omen-photo showed fushia, after researching it I learned it may fade to fushia sometimes…..now dark purple.

I had a ”blue/white Ice Cream iris” bloom recently, too…. no photo, Oops!

• SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

I love JC, just beautiful. it’s getting hot here, I’m not sure Angel Face, Fair Bianca or Comte de Chambord will survive, the sticks are somewhat green.

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Kitty - those poppies are gorgeous!!! Do they rebloom? I think Phoenix Perennials sells bulbs of ones like these. I may check that out. Wonderful!! Not only do you have fabulous poppies, but you also have great irises!! And I'm so glad that your Jacques Cartier is doing well!! Isn't it a good rose?!! What is the fragrance like on yours? Mine is medium...rosey. That first bloom of JC looks like a heart...wonderful!!!

Ang - I'm kind of down on my roses too. Too much hail and no more rose blooms (which weren't the best anyway). I think it's a great idea for you to have lots of perennials around. I hope the beetles leave soon.

GardenNut - I sure hope they survive. Good luck!

• Katie Zone 6b/7a NC Mountains
    8 months ago

Hello everyone! Catching up on some of the messages here.

Hubby and I have had the flu since last week, nothing like getting sick to take the wind out of your gardening sails but we are both feeling better day by day and yesterday and today I was even able to get a few things potted up and some small perennials planted. I don’t think I’ll have the energy to do much actual gardening and digging until next week, trying to make sure I don’t overdo it. I was hoping to wrap up all my planting for the season last week but life had other plans.

Kitty- I love your Japanese roses and irises. My own Japanese garden is one area I am going to focus on this next spring. I have a few things there right now, including some Kobai azaleas and some Japanese Hostas and hydrangeas but certainly room for more 😊

I’m enjoying seeing the bloom photos of roses and other flowers. My roses are mostly in a lull right now but my dahlias are starting to get going, Cafe au Lait is a beauty, I snipped these off to put in a vase inside to bring a little of my garden inside while I was stuck indoors. I hate being inside so much but not much of a choice this past week.

8 months ago

Katie, what a drag getting sick. Im glad that you guys are on the mend. It's sure no fun being down.

Your dahlia is fabulous! Thank goodness for other plants right now to take the place of the resting roses.

8 months ago

Kitty, have the floods affected you?

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    8 months ago

Just some interesting patterning in a bloom - salpiglossis.

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

SoCaGardenNut,

Thank you! I am soooo excited about JC! It is fully blooming when most roses have gotten tired & resting! Keep your new roses extra moist & shade them some. Your little sticks will make it! I have a truly little stick I potted, Ferdinand Pichard. It was 1 1/2 feet single stick w/ leaves & before I planted it I accidently cut it off to 6 inch stick-no leaves a week ago. Jowever I olanted it & it just sprouted 2 nodes w/ leaves so that is exciting. I am keeping it in a sm pot buried in the ground & always moist. I buried all my new babies in pits , then buried pits in the groubd for extra cool & moistness. I know they need extra water when they are trying to get established after newly planting & are babies.

Carol, Thank you about my iris & JC… the poppies are blooming now in summer…. ha ha, ha ha… unseasonal blooms! Poppies come from seeds, not bulbs. I still need to smell JC. Plant poppy seeds in the snow a month before it melts & they will grow well! Diane’s advise to grow poppies is excellent! I hope you find some poppies-they are really fun to watch! The bread seed poppies are annuals, but you just take their seeds from their pod and throw them on the soil each year. Thete are perennial poppies but they are smaller & don’t have the peony fluffy ball.

Katie, Pretty Blooming Dahlia! Winder when mine will bloom. Thank you! The Japanese roses & iris are fun! I think my Japanese garden is now soread out…. a little here & there, but love their plants! Try some Japanese iris-they are very pretty! I have a few more & maybe they will bloom. Maybe you’ll try some Japanese roses-simply gorgeous! Next year sounds like a great idea to plan more gardening! i hope you & your hubby feel better soon! Can’t miss out on wonderful summer gardening!

Kristine, Yes! Thank goodness for dalias, and a few other flowers blooming now! The phlox, holly hocks, poppies, butterfly bush, Appleblossom Yarrow, pansies, violas and petunias are blooming away! Oriental Lillies & gladiolas are green…..a few others green…. lots of green rose bushes & a few blooming.

Magpie, That is an amazing flower-looks unreal! You have the most beautiful & unique flowers! Gorgeous in vases! I can’t wait to see what seeds you will be trying next year!

• Katie Zone 6b/7a NC Mountains
    8 months ago

A few blooms this morning, Jacques Cartier has been a nice surprise in the middle of summer.

… and Mrs William G Koning, I just love the little blooms and sprays of color.

Getting a chance to walk around a bit this morning and taking pictures reminds me how much weeding I need to get done, I think they’ve all grown a foot since I got sick last week 😏

8 months ago

@Katie Zone 6b/7a NC Mountains I love that Mrs.WGK! So pretty. I know what you mean about the weeds, it rained several days in a row right before I went on vacation for 4 days, and it's really annoyingly impressive how much the weeds have grown in the short time that I've been away.

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Katie - summer flu really is too much. The outside is just waiting for you, beckoning and you're too sick to go outside. Ugh. I'm glad you and hubby are on the mend. And that Cafe au Lait picture is exquisite!!!!!! It deserves to be framed...glorious!! Oooh...that's a really pretty Jacques Cartier bloom. :):)

Magpie - if I had hybridized that, I think I'd call it Jungle Stripes. How unique and beautiful!!!

Kitty - hmmmm....I just need to find some seeds. :) :) Maybe I'll have a look around.

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

@SoCalGardenNut

I am sorry about FairBianca. I am glad Fun in the Sun is green still, Angel Face is a fabulous rose! Have you seen Diane’s Angel Face-gorgeous! Yummy grapefruit tree! Oh, would love one, but I no longer enjoy that beautiful CA climate! Let me know when you have graoefruits for breakfast from your tree!

@Katie

I love your JC & WGK’s petite blooms! They are beauties and such a joy to see this time of year!

Carol, I hope you can find a supplier! You know I think the peony poppy seeds do well for us northerners! I got mine from a seed company in Ohio which is oretty north. And all my peony poppies came up & are 3-4ft! Next season I will try more peony poppies & pompom poppies! It seems they would do well for you!

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

Doug took some photos today ; the salmon poppies are spectacular but only lasting two or three days in the heat.

I'm exhausted from moving rocks again today, going to bed . Every morning I go outside hoping to see a White Cloud poppy bloom .

I think Heaven on Earth is just as beautiful as any of the Austins, and has incredible scent .

• SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

Thanks @Kitty, i thought my Angel Face would survive, but I was more interested in having the palm trees removed that i didnt pay attention to the way they uprooted the rose. it‘s alright, I enjoyed it for a long time, so i got my money’s worth.

Diane is a rose Queen, her roses are so beautiful and loaded with buds, i don’t know how she does it.

Regarding grapefruit tree, I dont really eat grapefruits but i love the fragrance of their blossoms. At least now if anyone asks me what my rose fragrance, i can say it smells like grapefruit and can technically get away with it, haha.

I’m glad i decided to remove the palm trees because they take up a lot of water, my roses were suffering, now they look 100% better.

I’m also thinking of moving my Kitshu mandarin to this new location, it has has more sun and Kitshu can use the sun. Last year I had one fruit of this variety and it’s to die for.

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

Berry, Oh, My, You have a Salmon Poppy & a White Cloud Poppy! Your Salmon poppy is beautiful! These poppies are amazing! Beautiful Heaven on Earth-i love it’s cupped bloom!

I am in love with my new DAs especially the ones that are disease resistant. Roald Dahl looks so healthy blooming abundantly first time-what a pleasant apricot-yellow rose-pretty cupes and just keeps on blooming!!!! Emily Bronte looks very healthy & she’s been blooming for awhile now & getting taller-3ft first year already.

I gave my other Emily Bronte to a friend. I grew it from bareroot in water until it had lots of beautiful new roots, then planted it in a pit all leafed out and it stsrted blooming! It was fun to give her away when she looked so healthy & thriving!

Bathsheba is growing tall, almost 3ft, 1st year, no buds yet. Darcy Bussell continues to grow bigger. Silas Marner has buds for the first time! Eustacia Vye is forming buds forca second flush.

These are wonderful new DAs! My otger DAs are good, too!

SoCaGardenNut, I love grapefruit! Do you give them away! Love them w/ sugar! My favorites are nandarines! I used to have one w/ 500 fruits. We are them daily & I gave bags of them away to friends! ! I removed alm trees when I lived in CA CAN- theyvare a nuissance-seeding all iver. I olanted roses in their place, too! I am glad your roses will have more water & not crowded by palm trees anymore! Yay!

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

Kitty you'll be even more in love with Bathsheba when you see and feel her soft yellow birdy feathers, she's such an exceptional rose. I just wish there was better fragrance .

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Kitty - I did find a place, Swallowtail Garden Seeds for the peony poppy seeds. I'm still thinking on them. I'm wondering how they would grow. I wasn't happy with my other seeds from last year (not Swallowtail) and it costs $14 for shipping from the States. Do they keep blooming through the summer or are they a one-time bloomer?

Berrypie - those are beautiful pictures of your poppies! Do they rebloom? I didn't know that Heaven on Earth is fragrant. Wonderful!!

GardenNut - that's great that your roses are benefitting from the removal of the palm trees. :) :)

Sheila's Perfume - wonderful fragrance!

Anne Marie - still blooming up a storm. Alack...no fragrance.

Gruaud Larose

Rosemantic Fuchsia

Grand Dame (baby) is starting to bloom. Finally.

First Crush - not very pretty. lol

Rosemantic pink with ant friend.

Augusta Luise

Perfume Factory

Rosemantic Cream

Sweet Delight

Memorial Day

8 months ago

Carol, I didnt realize that you have all 3 of the Rosematic series. They are all so beautiful. Memorial Day is one of my favorite roses. The fragrance is out of this world.

I am thinking that I need Perfume Factory

What a fabulous color .

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

Berrypie, Thank you! Well, when Bethsheba gets a bloom, it will be heaven! She is 3 feet tall & likes to grow!

Carol, Wowza!!! , you have a lot of beautiful blooms! Not sure which I love best…. many really beautiful roses!!! Rosemantic Fushia, Cream & Pink are fabulous roses w/ excellent blooms! I love the Rosemantics! Graud Larose is gorgeous creamy! First Crush is a beauty-love her ruffly petals! Is Perfume Factory a strong perfume scent? Augusta L-Oh, My, ruffels & popping color-exquisite! Sheila’s perfume is an elegant rose-hows her fragrance?

I just love peony poppies, but they are annuals and bloom for about 2 days then another blooms. They have several blooms on one stalk. I have had almost a couple of each color blooming non-stop for 2 weeks now…. when one wilts another 2 or so bloom! Maybe they may bloom for a month or so. However, they are the queen of my flowers beside roses…..easy to grow…many came up-best seeds I ever sprinkled outside. They say easy to grow. I think the peony poppies like our northern climates, too. They wilt in extreme sun. They bloom longer in medium summer warmth-my 70F-80F.

If you stagger the planting of the seeds over 2 weeks in month of your last snow, they will bloom & when done, more will come up. you could stagger planting seeds over 2 weeks, then 2 weeks, then 2 weeks & may get them to bloom 6 weeks or 2 months. Next year I will do that. They did well in my morning sun, but they say they like sun. Keep soil moist for them. I think they dont like ”extreme 100F heat where they may dry out,” like 107F for Diane.

The peony poppies did really well in my rich soil so I am going to plant their seeds in the snow yearly! Love ’em!

i think this was a purple one, but photo turmed it pink.
    Todays poppies….

Violette Blush Poppy ( Maybe?)

Lauren’s Black Grape poppy

My new 8 Japanese roses have arrived sitting in sm pots to plant on Monday. Rouge de Parfum is being sent soon-last one. I potted some & added soil to others. ZephrGardens, Etsy, must have had her 2 roses in a greenhouses because their leaves burned yesterday, but I am sure they will adapt-hers came same size as others. It was 85F yesterday, July 14, w/ humidity so may have surprised the roses.,

ZephrGardens, Floralbloom, PlantRoses, Cindykoreasucculents , from Etsy, all sent me fine Japanese roses. Katesroses sent me great roses, too. In pots in photo….

A few more blooms today….

Dark Desire, Kordes (Transplanted & doing much better this year!)

Butterfly bush! Yummy perfume! Can smell as i walk by…. very perfumed! Carol, You’d love it!

Larkspur

Phlox spreading

Pink Chiffon, Rose of Sharon starting blooms

Pas de Deux, Japanese rose

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

rosecanadian I'm telling you these puppies are HUGE ; would you like me to send you some of my salmon poppy seeds if I can get a harvest ? A few years ago there were torrential rains , everything got moldy and the seed heads were destroyed. We'll see how this years plants do.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    8 months ago

Carol, those poppies would do great where you are. Both annual and perennial poppies worked great in Alaska. Just scatter the annual poppy seeds on the ground during your Winter.

I have more trouble growing poppies and clematis here than I did in Alaska. Actually, I was too cold for the large flower clematis in Alaska but other species and atragenes did wonderfully.

8 months ago

First ever bloom of "City of York" rose

First ever bloom of "Alionushka" clematis

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Kristine - Yeah, I do. :) So far Rosemantic Cream is my least favorite. I think I just have too many white roses. But, it seems to be a good bloomer so far. Yeah, Memorial Day's fragrance is great. I love this rose!! I think you need Perfume Factory. It's new to me, but those blooms look great. It looks like a good rose. And it's a Carruth rose!!

Kitty - Thanks, Kitty!!!!! :) :) I'm really starting to love Gruaud Larose!! It's a really good bloomer. So far, Perfume Factory has a medium perfume. But I've only smelled it once. I think the perfume will keep coming stronger. Sheila's Perfume has wonderful fragrance. That's really good info about the peony poppies. I'm a bit too tired to look now. But I'll take a look tomorrow. :) :) I'd rather buy them here in Canada...so I'll keep looking. You've made them sound pretty wonderful. :) :) I love your Butterfly Bush. I'd love to try one, but they're too tender. Another I'd love to try is Foxtail Lily...again too tender. Pretty pink larkspur, and your Obedient Plant is doing really well!! I love your phlox. I used to have some, but they all died many years ago. I think maybe they may have a deep taproot....kiss of death in my garden. Ooooh...I love your Pink Chiffon Rose of Sharon!!!! Exquisite!! And even prettier is your Pas de Deux!! How is the fragrance on that one?

Berrypie - well, I don't feel like I should trespass on your kindness after killing all of the scabiosa seedlings you gave me after I put them in the garden. Maybe I'll try to find some seeds on line. You are SO kind and generous!!!! I'll let you and Kitty know how my search goes. :) :)

Sheila - thanks for telling me that they did well for you in Alaska. That gives me more hope. When exactly do you through them in the garden...late spring? Is there a temperature that is involved or does it matter much?

Magpie - well done on your new blooms!! I love them both!! City of York is such an old rose....1939 (I looked it up). I bet the bees love this one!! :) :) It's such a pretty bloom!! And your clematis is beautiful too!

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Okay...I'm back. I ordered:

- Candy Floss Double Violet (500 seeds) Why do they sell 500 seeds???

- Violetta Blush (50 seeds)...way more manageable. lol

- Lilac Pompon

- Borage (for the bees)

I'm very excited!!! Now I have to find room for next year. But, I do have some cranesbill geranium that has spread out of control and doesn't even bloom. Bwahaha!!! I tried to copy pictures of the blooms so you could all see them...but it didn't work. :)

Thank you all for the "help" in furthering my plant addiction. Tee hee!

Oh, a question just popped into my mind...so are you're supposed to fling the seeds into the snow? Shouldn't the soil be scratched in a bit? I'll also have to place a marker in the soil before the snow comes.

• Steve_M in PA
    8 months ago

Bear in mind these are poppy seeds, and 50 seeds won't even cover a dime. :) I also think the percentage that germinate may make 50 seeds slightly less than a sure thing. Poppies are sensitive to root disturbance, so direct sowing is best. But "some fell on rocky ground", "some fell among thorns", etc. Hopefully the seeds you sow will find that "just right" spot!

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

It's becoming Roses and Poppies Forum

Super pretty choices Carol, I want to try those feathery Lilac Pompons too. Poppy seeds like to be chilled and don't mind at all being snowed on. What i will do is make my area ready this Fall and as soon as the deep snow melts in early Spring , I'll surface scatter sow them.

I read somewhere that a husband got into borage with his bare hands and broke out in a terrible rash - just a caution.

This morning I woke up at the crack of dawn anticipating some large poppy buds might be White Clouds - drat ! the blooms were purple and I yanked them out. If the next few plant heads open up to be Lauren's grape, then none of my Flemish Antique poppies or the White Clouds grew this year. The beastly LGrape poppies grew huge all over the place, taking up room and nutrients from the soil. Next year I have to designate a rich prepared spot just for my prize poppies, and NO marauding Lauren's Grapes ever again.

At least my Salmon poppies in the back yard should be true to the variety when their seeds are collected in Fall since all the purple poppies were pulled out as they opened.

And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    8 months ago

Carol, the poppy seeds did not fear freezing temps so I flung them about well before Spring in Alaska.

Here California poppies and the white Romnyi Coulteri do well but the annual poppies not so much. A close fried lives up in wooded hills with less sun and more rain 4 miles from here and the annual poppies do great for her.

8 months ago

Berrypie , nice analogy.

I guess that I will be getting more poppies next year.

I dragged myself out to water this morning ( had to take a couple of rest breaks) and noticed that Easy Spirit was not really growing. It is shaded by Quicksilver and the soil although I keep working on it just isn't great. So after a nice long rest I pulled an empty pot in to the Sun and moved Easy Spirit. He was about the same size as when I planted him last year. The blooms are so beautiful. I hope that he really thrives in the pot.

Now back to doing nothing.

Oh and Bliss looks fabulous!

• SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

Some people dont like Eden Climber, these blooms cheer me up everyday when I look at them.

Augusta Louise

They are both in my back garden. its nice to look out when you eat breakfast.

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

Oh, How wonderful hearing about “ Everyone’s Poppies!”And beautiful roses, today!

SoGaGardenNut,

I love your Eden! I have 2 Eden! She’s so amazingly beautiful & blooms big and delicately and bugs don’t like her that much, either, Lol!

Berry,

Roses & Poppy Forum? Yes! Oh, My, you have many of the peony poppies that I have or I ordered! Your White Cloud must be beautiful & we will both have ”Flemish poppies!” Did any of your Flemish poppies bloom? I irdered the Flemish poppy seeds for next spring! Woohoo! It is wonderful to hear how they do for you & I hope I can harvest seeds as we get a lot of rain in the fall. Well, , Lauren’s Black Grape did bloom the most for me, too, but I saw her seeds spread on soil more-it’s my first poppy year & I loved them, too ! . But, I really love my ”Prize Peony & Pompom Poppies!-They are the best! In my morning sun spot they like watered & kept moist regularly, then they are 3-4ft tall. Oh, some afternoon sun poppies were watered well-they grew tall, too! Some were less watered, grew 6 inches. Keep soil moist!

Carol, I am soooo excited for you! Jumping off the roof tops!! You are going to have Peony & Pompom Poppies! Love your Violetta Blush, Candy Floss, & Lilac poppies! Many seeds is good. I wait until last month of snow just as it’s going to melt, as close to ground as possible., but in snow I toss them. If I seed comes up it will soread leaves big like lettuce, grow stalks as tall as 3-4 ft, and have a few blooms on each stalk. I noticed that some of the annual peony & pompom poppies seeds I order come from Ohio-a freezing cold state in winter! I think these poppies like our snowy cold climates & not too hot in summers.

Sheila, It is wonderful to hear how your poppies do in Oregon & Alaska! Thank you for sharing!

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

The first Rouge Royale bud has finally become a bloom, it couldn't possibly have taken longer to fully open. For all the exasperation waiting, it has revealed extraordinary character just as photos present, richly petal stuffed.

Lauren's Grape poppies were muscling their way around to steal space and sunshine from the roses. I pulled out a few more hoping they would have turned out to be Flemish Antique. Pollen rained out of a huge LG poppy head and had to be hosed off the sidewalk. Only a few more mystery poppy plants left to see what they are, by now I'm expecting more disappointment. Next year will be the third try to get a Flemish Antique to grow. I don't want to give up yet but after it hits the 10 dollar mark for seeds I have to throw in the towel.

Upper 80's today instead of close to 100 degrees yesterday makes a big difference. A wonderful breeze is coming in the window - it's about the most perfect day even though a shovel full of wormy compost landed on my bare foot.

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

Berry, That Antique Flemish poppy ought to come up! What if you sow in a karge pit, then you’ll know whete they are & they may come up? Those LGrape poppies need to mind their manners-no more crowding! I am wondering where will I put all these poppy seeds next year…. & if I will harvest seeds, I’ll have 12 varieties, Lol Hmmmm what to do? 80F & no humidity sounds nice-a beautiful day!b Compost on bare feet-it’s the gardening life!

Maybe I need a poppy bed? And I could olant other flowers in it when its done for the season?

TODAY i planted 8 Japanese roses & a Kordes in my new Circle Bed! I opened 15 bags of soil & spread it, too! My gardener cut the bed out fir me last weekend. I finished it w/ the new soil & planting. I worked for 3 hours in 85F & humidity! But little overcast….actually weather seemed sunny but not too sunny. Then sprinklers took over watering all my new roses while I collapsed on my bed & napped. Looking at my finished gsrden this evening niiiiiiiiceeeeeeeee! The Japanese roses were already adapted to my clinate growing in sm pots last week, new leaves, looking good!

Tomorrow I polish up my gardens! I have 1 Yves Piaget rose to plant & a Sweet Drift! I am going to Lowes to buy flowers to line beds… petunias & others! A few extra bags of soil & Ecologic Mint granules to help remove mosquitos! Maybe a Mandevilla & to pot a cherry tomatoe! I am ready to make beds look pretty & enjoy them! Some roses are still blooming, many taking a rest.

@rosecanadian

I was reading about poppies today…. this is for you….

Your Canadian cold climate will proably have poppies all summer bloom. Just plant them for a couple 2 week periods. I may have blooms all summmer, too. Diane’s stop blooming when it gets too hot.

I am thinking I need a poppy & flower bed.? The poppies grow tall & can crowd roses…. so I may add a bed for them mixed w/ some flowers. They are tall & have just a fewxfew x poppy seed pods at the end when done blooming. I need the poppy pods to harvest seeds so having some flowers around them will look nice until I pull them out in the fall. I wonder what flowers I could put in the bed?

@Diane Brakefield

, I am discovering these ideas about poppies. Very i interesting to see how they grow in different climates. I ordered 6 new Peony & Pompom poppy seeds for next spring. I have more purple, pinks,salmon and lilac peony & pompom poppy seeds coming! I ordered some on Etsy & Amazon. I olan to harvest seeds from this season, , too. Others above ordered poppies, too. Look what you started with me, Lol Photos of my new poppies above in thread about a week ago…

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

Kitty, the poppy seeds you harvest may be unique crosses if the bees pollenated them. I'm not positive , but it seems possible if not certain.

This is the latest in Summer my poppies ever bloomed, it took a long time for them to mature. I never know what to expect anymore.

The La France carnations were not supposed to flower the first year , but now there are little candle flame shaped buds forming !

After I planted most of my seeds in Spring, I dug them up again trying to plant roses . Some of the Violas survived. I need to buy more Bowles Black , they are so cute and provide nice contrast. Bunny Ears violas hopped all through the flower beds like wild.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied how the garden is going this year, just enough flowers to be all the work I can handle.

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Steve - I see. :) :) Sounds like I should use every seed I get, just to make sure.

Berrypie - That sounds like a really good way to grow them from seed. I'll try that. Really? Borage is that bad? I wasn't aware. Thanks...I'll read up on that. Wooo...White Clouds looks like a really beautiful poppy. What a shame they didn't come up. Good luck in collecting poppy seeds in the fall. :) :) Be sure to show us a pic of your Rouge Royale bloom!!!! And tell us how the fragrance is! :) :) I'm really happy for you that you have your first RR bloom!! Mmmm....I love your description of it. :) :) I didn't realize that Lauren's Grape poppies were so vigorous. They sure are beautiful, though. I really wish you good luck with getting Flemish Antique into your garden. :) :) Oh, that's great that you're getting some nicer weather. That does make a difference.

Sheila - so goood to hear that they worked for you in Alaska. Didn't realize they like the cool summers so much. :)

Kristine - Yup, jump on the poppy train. :) :) I have perennial poppies which I love because they're so bright and happy. I'm glad you're taking rests. I'll go to the other thread and read more on how you're doing. :) :) I hope your Easy Spirit grows more...sounds like a good idea to pot her up for awhile. :)

GardenNut - how could anyone not love the beauteous Eden? I agree...so beautiful...makes breakfast a delight. :)

Kitty - thanks SO much for getting me into poppies!!! I'm going to love them, I'm sure!!! :) :) So much fun!! My daughter asked me if she and her girlfriend can use my backyard to get married (in a few years) because they love my flowers/roses so much. Isn't that a great compliment? So peony poppies will add to the cacophony of color. :) :) When the time comes...I'll be a nervous wreck about the garden and roses. :) :) My goodness...you are such a hard worker!! But, I'm glad you have a gardener...you need one. :) :) Another bed for poppies. If they bloom for you all summer, that would be glorious!! I'm wondering if I can grow them in pots to place around the yard for the wedding. Yes, Diane is the supreme enabler. :) :) But you're no slouch in that department. :) :)

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

Berry, I hope my poppies harvest works & I get poppies I’d like, not strange crosses-ha, ha, from it. I read that they can bloom all summer in cool climates…maybe you had a cooler summer-niiiiceeeeee! . It’s been a cooler spring-beginning of summer for me & poppies are blooming big now. Of course, I am new to poppies! Wow, your La France poppies are blooming! La France will be sooooo beautiful! I have new seedking dianthus & the La France growing, but no blooms. At keast it is growing! I have a few seedlings in pots still outside. I’m glad your violas are doing well! They do spread! I love the bunny ears! My violas are thick spreading this year. And my pansies are blooming all summer in pots to my surprise-must be cool my summers even though 85F w/ humidity sometimes. This month is hot for us with a lot of high 85+F!

Hi, Carol,

It just deleted my post, Hmmmmm Houzz.

Thank you! Ha, ha…. I love passing on my joy to you all and maybe we can share growing poppies together! Enabler…. Oops!

I love the idea of a wedding in your garden! What a wonderful compliment from your daughter! You have a beautiful garden & you work so hard at it! A wedding is the supreme compliment! I may dig up a sm oval bed in August & spread new soil and put a few flowers in it, then soil will be ready for poppies in spring 2024. I’m thinking now what other flowers to grow in it? Maybe some more carnations, too! Maybe just a flower bed w/ many flowers & poppies!

Off to Lowes this morning….. flower shopping for bordering my other beds now….. Fun, fun! I think Anastasia will come!

• SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

@Kitty, I frequent this thread because i love your enthusiasm for plants. This morning i checked and my lemon tree that was recently planted in the front yard where one palm tree was removed, has finally sending up some green shoots and a tiny flower bud, how’s that for rescuing a tree that has been suffering since 2015. a great feeling of satisfaction, i finally get it right, lol!

Now this coming year I'm going to focus on improving the productivity of all of my plants, fruit trees to have more fruit, roses to bloom more, and same with peonies. i like to maximize the production of my land, is that too much to ask for, haha haha, dream on.

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

After shopping at Lowes I set out my plants. I’ll plant later….. took a few photos of the new garden colors & blooms that just opened…..

My New Circle Bed

9 Roses were planted yesterday in the Circle bed.I set a few new flowers out in bed to olant later. I purchased some oetunias, yellow Oriental lilies, phlox, & Pintas for color in the new Circle Bed. Roses are sm & green now.

New Circle Bed in the distant right. T-bed on distant left.New Oval bed in front.

I think I’ll add another oval bed to distant right for flowers & poppies.

Daylilly finally bloomed after a couple years grown from bulb. Love it’s ruffles!

Rosemantic Fushia has several buds/blooms.

Black Peony Poppy

Baby Pink Peony Poppy

Raining now knocked them to grass

New Mandevilla

Multicolored Gladiolas starting to bloom

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

Incredibly beautiful to see, thanks !

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

SoCaGardenNut, Thank you! I think we are all enthusuastic and loving our gardening! It’s so therapeutic and enriching our lives! How wonderful your lemon tree us thriving! I love lemon trees! I used to have a couple in CA! Great for lemonade right now & salmon! And fruit salads & mango salsa!

Time this year to pamper your gardens-to nurture them! Me too! I have been so busy planting, time to nurture them now! Enrich that soil, fertilize, remove the bugs! pour in the organics! Your garden will be beautiful and should bare much fruit! Just pour on the TLC! Next weekend it’s time for me-Rose Tone, Fish fertilizer and a little more good Espoma soil to add! The better the soil, I see they really flourish! I add new soil throuout the season where it’s not been enriched enough. In the fall everyone of my plants almost gets a little new soil, again, at least in last 2 years. Then I have good soil to start with after winter & I add more in spring, too.

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Kimberly - do you want to start a new Summer thread...it's a bit long to be running the Spring Seasonal thread. :) :)

Kitty - Oh, that naughty Houzz. That can be so frustrating. Yeah, that'll be fun to grow them at the same time. :) :) Thank you about my yard and the wedding. I'm really hoping that my passifloras can start growing (seriously...they've done nothing all summer)...wouldn't they be beautiful along an arbor for Kedra/Chloe to get married? I'm going to grow them next year...and if they still don't do anything, I'll toss them. Rats. Plus, with their big leaves they get really torn apart by all the hail we get. That's a good idea about getting the soil ready for poppies in 2024. What kind of flowers did you get at Lowes?

GardenNut - excellent about the lemon tree! You'll be selling glasses of lemonade in front of your house in no time. LOL :) Yeah, I don't think it's asking too much for our roses/plants to get it together and WOW us. :) :)

Kitty - uh oh. I didn't see that coming. Your peony poppies got knocked to the ground by the rain. With our hail and downpours, I'm thinking that these poppies may not be a good idea. I was really excited about having them in the wedding bouquet. I guess I'll just try and see how it goes. :) Oh my gosh, your Gladiolas are sooo beautiful!!! I'm wondering about the flowers you've planted in the circle...will they be too short to be seen once the roses grow? I love your Mandevilla!!! Wonderful!! Your Rosemantic Fuchsia looks great! I'm starting to love my Rosemantic Cream...the blooms look like peony poppies...all stuffed with petals. Everything looks wonderful in your yard. :)

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

Carol, Thank you! I set out to plant a yellow Oriental lilly, phlox, pentas and petunias. apetunias will border bed. atge other floeers are tall. I may move them if zi can’t see them… but this summer they are needed becausexall roses are soooo small. Maybe I will put really tall lillies in there in future. phlox grows tall. I was looking for tall flowers. If you look close up at the Circle bed you can see the new flowers. I’m excited to see my glads finally starting to bloom! Tgey are worth the show even though just snnuals. I’d like them every year! They should now bloom all summer! Glads look wonderful in bouquets! You may wish to try them?

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Kitty - I did try glads one year. It was a dark orange one. Really beautiful. That's a good idea for when we get closer to the event. :) :) What do you think about putting foxtail lily in your center? I love them and would plant them here if they were hardy enough.

8 months ago

I heard from one of my son's today and I may be getting a pity weeding. What some people will do to get weeding help lol

Here is Reminiscent coral 22nd flush . It's a really nice color. It is advertised as fantastically fragrant. If I happen to fall on another rose I will make sure it is this one and let you know.

Brigadoon first bloom. It has certainly taken it's time

All of this talk about poppies is getting me excited for some new and exciting plants

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Kristine - oh my goodness you made me laugh!!! I hope you don't fall on it, but, yes, if you do, let us know how the fragrance is. Your Brigadoon is exquisite!!!!!!!! I love it! I'm glad you're getting some pity weeding...make sure he/they work really hard and get it all done...wouldn't that be lovely?

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago
  • Diane Brakefield
    8 months ago

See you there. Diane

• KittyNYz6
    8 months ago

Kristine, Beautiful Brigadon! And R Coralnus doung well!

See you all in the New Summer thread!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz