SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

V daylilies 2023

sherrygirl zone5 N il
last year
last modified: last year

Let’s see your V daylilies today, I have none! See my garden buddy below.

Bad Joke of the day: Did you hear about the cheese factory in France that exploded? There was nothing left but De Brie.

Here is my 14 1/2 y.o. garden buddy Jack. He stays out of my garden beds. He has some heart problems but is still a happy canine.

Sherry

Comments (34)

• lilykate7a
    last year

I will find my pictures later but just had to say Jack is adorable!!! That sweet face made me smile this morning.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • shive
    last year

Jack is a cutie! I bet he makes a happy garden buddy!

Here are my best V's:

Victorian Garden Heaven's Applause

Violet Victory

Victorian Garden Emerald Breeze

Violet Sabrewing

Velvet Throne

Victorian Lace has been a good one in the past, but I didn't get a photo of it last summer.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Related Discussions

U daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (9)
    Sherry - Upgrade and Undercurrent are both beautiful! I've always admired those two of yours. David - Ultimate Illusion has a neat pattern. I reminds me of Secret Sentinel, which I grow. Untamed Heart - My intro performed well last year, despite the dry, hot weather. Two scapes had the registered 18 buds, and the others were in the mid teens. This one is a terrific pod setter, even in hot temps. Unlike my earlier intros, this one is an early morning opener. It reblooms some years, but not reliably here. Untamed Heart clumps Unbound was a new one last year. It's supposed to be excellent for hybridizing, but it was too hot last summer for me to be successful with it. Debra
    ...See More

Yellow Daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (26)
    Avon Sunrise is by a hybridizer I am not familiar with. Sour Puss has warm hues with its green heart and peach shading. A Shooter, I see. Diploids in general I find need more dividing to maintain bloom quantity. Siloam Amazing Grace is a nice clear yellow. Mister Butters had a good year. In general, earlier plants performed better, when they could withstand an onslaught of earwigs. How many earwigs didn't I kill? Saul has slain his thousands, but I think I matched that (with little effect, as they were in the ten thousands). Butter Cream was nice (but again plagued by earwigs). Catherine Folker had a very good year. A large-flowered polychrome, but yellow and green are dominant. Always has instant rebloom. A ML. Good height. A Joiner evergreen that performs well, selected by Richard Norris years ago from a garden he visited. Green Mystique has a precise and dainty edge. Seemed closer to five rather than six inches, perhaps because of the slight recurve. Gives a respectable performance most years--and that kind of performance this past year made one stand out. Sarah Christine looked pretty good. A softer yellow, which is usually what I prefer. Crintonic Mister Apollo may be a good performer. As well as Green Icon. We shall see.
    ...See More

Orange Daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (18)
    Court and Spark was too small a bloom here to make it into the garden. Coral Corduroy looks very appealing. It is rather short, but that is good for pot culture. Why didn't the Ellison seedling get a name? All those buds, and such a beautiful ruffled flower. Slow to increase? That usually doesn't stop people from registering. Tyger River (a bonus) was very short this year (of course, not without company in this bad year). I am wondering if I should pick up Miss Demeanor. Evaluation of Tiger Town? I see it is a cascade. I look forward to seeing Hot Buttered Rum in the garden next year. Sitting Cool has been very pleasing here; not sure I would call it orange, but it certainly warrants a picture. I am always interested in reviews of the Stone Palace cultivars. The Victorian Lace seedling is lovely. Since VL does well here, it arouses more interest.
    ...See More

Polychrome Daylilies 2023

Q

Comments (7)
    I find polychromes very attractive and have liked all the ones posted so far. My favorites are Smoky Mountain Autumn, Little Flock, Siloam bolden Gate, Careless Dream, Sugar Cream Pie, and Pizza Crust. And what gorgeous polychrome seedlings have been posted! Brad, what luscious color on Jolyene Nichole Smokey Mt. Autumn! Celeste, the very ruffled seedling out of Angels Gather Round is extraordinary! David, I especially like the seedling out of Bass Gibson for its colors and its toothy edge! Here is my ivory polychrome seedling out of Inimitable. I will probably register it if it does well after being lined out. I had hoped to get it lined out this fall, but with my husband's illness and death, it just didn't happen. It shows more colors when it's cool. Debra
    ...See More
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Debra, Violet Victory is very pretty. I don't recall seeing it before.

Jack is Cute, Sherry.

Vintage Wine, our favorite and great bloomer.

Disclaimer to keep from repeating: all the VTs have lots of buds and are reliable no matter what the weather. All except Autumn Fires are extra late.

Hopefully Celeste will post a few that I don't have.

VT Autumn Fires, one of the longest bloomers and bud builder. Not the latest VT to bloom but due to bud building, one of the last left blooming.

VT Bridal Lilac.

VT Fondly Kin

VT Rose Rosey

VT September Star

VT Sophie

VT the Last Melon

VT RR Red, a little less prolific but still good.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Another pun that made me laugh out loud. Jack is a cute little pooch. Is he a particular breed?.......Debra: I like Victorian Emerald Breeze and Velvet Throne. Sometimes daylilies get lost in the shuffle of so many summer picture postings, so I may have commented on these before, but they really stand out here..........Brad: Your VT daylilies have been an education. They look so good in your garden. Had I room, I'd try a couple, like Vt Autumn Fire. Does it keep it's color like that all day for you?..............The only one I'll post is Venetian Fringe. It's a double, so Brad you can skip this (lol). The reason I post it is because it won't be with me next year. As with every Petit I've tried before, it's a goner after winter. I don't see many Petit's around here, so maybe others have had the same problem with his daylilies. 2022 was it's second year here as it spent one year just sitting in it's pot. It finally popped out 2 blooms on about 4 inch scapes. Now it's dead.

Venetian Fringe:

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Maryl, Jack is a shih tzu. He had a black muzzle in his younger years, gray now like us older folks.

Brad, so nice to see all of those VT daylilies. Do all of them bloom late?

Sherry

• Nancy 6b
    last year

Jack is my very favorite picture. I am wanting a dog, but my 3 cats would have a real cat fit with me. My daylily favorites are Violet Victory and velvet throne, guess no one saw that coming from me. LOL. Those VT daylilies are really impressive, especially their value in the late garden. Maryl, I try to avoid Petit daylilies, they do not do well for me. Except for a yellow ruffly one, name is either Diamonds on Divas and Divas in Diamonds. I always get them confused, one is a Davisson. Whichever it is, it has returned every year, took a couple of years but it has doubled every year since. Plenty of blooms and has always rebloomed til last year. So ruffled though it rarely looks pretty.

Velvet Throne for me in its 1st bloom year. So far it is doing good. Hoping the blooms improve this year. I was excited to see I had several V daylilies.and included this not because it is a great daylily, I don't know yet, but just had to show it!

Vanishing Mist has been a really good plant.

Pretty plant, usually plenty of blooms and reblooms, but does not multiply well. Not a real problem for me, but I would like a few more fans.

Victorian Lace is a nice one, the blooms never seem as big as they should be though.

Venetian Pools is one that has done well every year til the drought. jOne of those that I think I have lost, and one I plan to replace if I did.

Not a great picture of Vanilla Gorilla, but it is a great plant. I have been adding a few more yellows, not my favorite color, but really make others pop.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • daylilybedmaker
    last year

Sherry, once again a great joke.

Debra, I really like VG HEAVEN'S APPLAUSE. The pattern in the throat is really appealing. I will have to add that one to my list.

Brad, I really like the first two VT daylilies you posted. VT BRIDAL LILAC is certainly one up my alley.

Here are the Vs that I grow that were standouts this past summer.

VISION SEEKER: Sorry about my hand getting in the way. This is an awesome plant. Reaches its registered height, many blooms and well budded. Increases at a moderate rate.

VATICAN CITY: Nice plant. Does really well with afternoon shade. Many dark ones do.

VOODOO DANCER: Short front of the border daylily. I've had it in two spots in the garden. The first spot, it received a great deal of shade and was much darker, but increase was slow. Moved it to a sunnier spot and this is what it looks like, and increase has improved.

VERTICAL HORIZON: Tall plant that I should really hyridize with.

VICTORIAN GARDEN STARBRIGHT: This is a standout daylily. Benefits from afternoon shade.

That is all from me.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

David, I really like Vision Seeker. Nancy, Vanilla Gorilla is a nice one in spite of being yellow! Maryl, I hid my eyes LOL.

Sherry, yes all the VTs are very late. They start when the regular lates are part way or all done.

They are all fairly sunfast, drought proof, don't care about sun or shade. Unbelievable. RR Red and Bridal Lilac took a while to get started but are just as hardy now as the others. Sophie, Autumn Fires, The Last Melon, and September Star didn't even seem to notice that they were transplanted. First year they were great and they came to KY from Celeste, totally different climate. .

Brad

• Nancy 6b
    last year

Vision Seeker is a stunner, David!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • lilykate7a
    last year

These Vs are the ones that performed well last year.

Vanishing Mist is a pretty bloom. my plant has not multiplied as fast as I would like.

Vanilla Gorilla

Voila Francois was moved from a shady spot two years ago and has flourished in its new area. A better bloom picture is below.

Every bloom of VF is perfect in form-the weakness is that it barely blooms above foliage.

Vegas Showgirl is a two year old plant that has flourished.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • shive
    last year

Maryl - You are right about a lot of daylilies getting overlooked once multiple people are posting photos. That's why the color posts and the alphabet posts are so beneficial, letting us see everything at a less frenetic pace. Victorian Garden Emerald Breeze is a sunfast yellow. Unfortunately it multiplies slowly and is not often offered for sale now that Victorian Gardens has closed.

Brad - Violet Victory is one I've been posting for at least a dozen years. But those pictures are usually posted when I'm at my peak and so many other people are posting photos. It photographs well, with the color looking much more blue purple in shade photographs than it really is. The grubs keep attacking it, so it never multiplies past five fans and its always short. I'm thinking about moving it this year to see if I can better protect it from the grubs.

Maryl and Nancy - I'm sorry to see both of you have trouble keeping Petits alive. I know Mantis and David have complained about the flowers being in the foliage for them. They are among my hardiest and best multiplying plants - as long as they're in the ground. I have lost two or three that I was growing in pots. I especiallly miss Violet Tranquility and have never been able to find a replacement. Nancy, I hope Velvet Throne will be hardy for you. It is such a pretty one.

My top favorite on this threat is Vertical Horizon. David, let me know if you ever have any for sale or trade. Others I liked were Vanilla Gorilla (which I have growing in a pot), Vanishing Mist and Vintage Wine.

Debra

• celeste/NH
    last year

I didn't take any photos this year of my Vermont series of late-bloomers. I am trying to downsize my gardens and get rid of any that I won't be using for hybridizing or seed-making. If anyone is interested in them I would be happy to send them for postage or we could work out a trade. I will be keeping VT Autumn Fires and VT The Last Melon but the others in my collection will be going. They are late to very-late bloomers. The blooms are on the plain side but they are very hardy and bloom for many weeks when nothing else is left. These are available: VT Betsy, Vt Butterscotch Harvest, VT Cameo Appearance, VT Fondly Kin, VT RR Red, VT September Rose Rosy, VT September Star, VT Spun Sugar, VT Sophie. I did give away most of VT Bridal Lilac but may still have a fan or two left. For extra photos you can go on Olallie Daylilies website and most are featured. Olallie asks way too much for their plants, IMO. I did buy a lot of them years ago because I live in New Hampshire and Olallie is in Vermont and we used to take trips there.

My best blooming 'V' daylily is Vesuvian. Year after year it is loaded up with blooms and has formed a huge clump that gets divided regularly but never seems to shrink! Iron-clad in my cold climate. Great foliage and vigor.

It can be divided if anyone wants any.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • mantis__oh
    last year

I re-posted since I suspect that others could not see my post. I would ask again, is the pattern on Victorian Gardens HA consistent?

As for Petits, I have noted that Gavin Petit has performed quite well for me, though its scapes can reach in all directions. Blooms are above the foliage. Others I have tried have been anemic performers. Once burned, one is reluctant to try additional cultivars, especially when less lifetime is left. It may be unfair and erratic to lump all of a hybridizer's products together, but since most hybridizers use line breeding, gene pools have salient characteristics, including tenderness.

I certainly concur with David's assessment of Vision Seeker. It is still probably the best of Derrow's intros here and once again performed well.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • shive
    last year

Mantis - I don't see an earlier post by you on this thread. Victorian Garden Heaven's Applause shows a variety of ornate patterns when it first starts blooming. It does bloom extra early here. Once the temps go to the day 90s- nights 70s, it shows hardly any pattern at all. Most patterns work that way here, even the ones (like Venetian Pools) that hybridizers promote as "consistent." At one time, years ago, I moved out most of my patterned daylilies because of that.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    last year

Do others still not see my post of several cultivars? I posted it twice. Each time I can see it.

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

Mantis, I am not seeing your post. I saw it last night without the daylilies being named. Now I don't see your post.

Thanks for asking Debra about the pattern on VGHA. I meant to ask that. I think that the pattern would stick around in my garden as I usually don't get into the 90s on a regular basis.

Debra, I will have to let you know about Vertical Horizon, once the weather gets a little warmer.

David

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Mantis: I see A post obviously or I wouldn't respond, but there hasn't been any other with pictures in it. Can you try posting in the comments section instead of the main body? Some times I have to do that to get the pictures to show up. Not as bad as in the old days of Houzz, but it does happen occasionally even now. Seems odd though as you've been coming through loud and clear up until the V's...........I'm interested in your, Debra and Nancy's take on the Petit daylilies. I just went outside and saw that another one that I've been nurturing for 3 seasons ( and has never bloomed), also bit the dust. I was just thinking last summer how long would I tolerate a daylily without blooms. I guess mother nature made the call for me...............Maryl

• mantis__oh
    last year

Is my post of multiple cultivars now visible? To me, it is posted three times.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Sorry Mantis, nothing except your comments appear on my screen. Still no pictures........Maryl

• shive
    last year

Mantis - The petal color on your Vision Seeker is so different from David's. One of the reasons I've never added that one is the petal color looks off to me. I do love the eye and edge. Storm Shelter, its parent, has a weird petal color but a beautiful eye and edge. I'm surprised it is your best performing Derrow. But then you and I have had opposite experiences with Star Lord and Steven Scott Derrow. I have a few coming from Mike this Spring. I do like his plants, and he is so generous with bonuses. Star Lord and Lonesome Jaguar are his best performers in my garden.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    last year

Lonesome Jaguar is very good. A bit on the short side. I thought that you weren't that delighted with Steven Scott Derrow. Maybe Star Lord will eventually perform; it's an evergreen. As for Vision Seeker, I think that both of our pics show a base color that is basically beige.

• shive
    last year

Mantis - Steven Scott Derrow has been on the short side with not many buds. But maybe the grubs got to it the first year in the ground. It has multiplied a bit better than Star Lord, but Star Lord has been impressive with height, buds and the ability to produce pods in the heat. I haven't been able to get any pods on SSD in three years or use its pollen successfully. I do think the flower is attractive. The past few years, I mainly judge a daylily by its ability to successfully parent.

David's photo of Vision Seeker looks pink on my monitor, while yours looks beige. Since I hated Thomas Tew with its beige petals, I think I probably wouldn't like Vision Seeker.

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

Sherry, I love the joke today. Your Jack is so cute!

I am coming late to the party again. We just got back from the ADS Region 2 Winter Meeting. We had a great time and bought some interesting daylilies. I hope to show you their photos this summer.

I have two V's. Here is our Vision Seeker. Like all of Mike Derrow's daylilies, it looks to be a good grower.

Venus Flytrap had made a huge clump until it went into a nose dive. Now it is recovering.

That's all for me.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • daylilybedmaker
    last year

Debra,

VISION SEEKER's petal color leans more toward beige than pink. Early morning photos before the sun is on the blooms, it is more pink. As soon as the sun hits, it becomes more beige. I've debated on whether or not I keep VS as I am not a fan of beige/light mud colored daylilies, but it has very good plant habit and a plant is more than a pretty face. I probably won't let the clump get too large before selling off fans, as I still want to hybridize with it.

David

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

Mantis,

Your V pictures finally showed up. Victorian Lace is a reliable plant.

David

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Mantis, lots of goodies! Viagra Falls, Vulcan Logic, Velvet Hammer and Vision of Things to Come are all gorgeous.

Brad

• HU-771169533
    last year

I stumbled into here looking for a specific daylily picture. What the heck I can throw a couple of Vs even if that was last months thing. Rich R

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked HU-771169533
  • HU-771169533
    last year

Violet Cockatoo

Rich R

• HU-771169533
    last year

Violet Pinwheels

Rich R

• HU-771169533
    last year

Viva Pinata

Rich R

• HU-771169533
    last year

Volcan Fuego

Rich R

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Nice blooms, Rich ! Keep an eye out next January, we do an alphabet every year, the more the merrier!

Sherry

• shive
    last year

Rich - Thanks for sharing your V's! I especially like your photo of Viva Pinata!

Debra