SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swedican1

Chaotic curb 'appeal' help needed!

Kristen V
last year
last modified: last year

Top photo is what we're working with. Bottom photo is what I want, but don't get unless I win the lotto.

Currently the house has a lot of small windows + a few faux/painted on windows, and plenty of arched windows. I'm not a fan of arched windows on this scale. While I love a big beautiful arched window, these feel dinky and distracting. Also at issue, the strange foam molding at chair rail height around the exterior, and similar adornments around the windows. Two-toned tan paint is all wrong, the tiled facade around the front door is cheap (and so are the exterior lights) and the front door itself is disproportionate and ugly.

In short, I want to love this house we bought, but as it stands now, I pull into the driveway and look at it sideways and wonder what the builder was thinking when he decided to go ahead without a designer's input (i presume!)

I don't have money to change out all the windows. I'm considering some black metal slat awnings or something along those lines to camouflage the arched windows, but I don't want to ADD to the chaos by throwing another detail in. Thoughts on ways to make the windows more likeable?

We're planning to paint out the faux windows and remove the foam framework associated with them. We're also planning to paint the whole house a nice not-too-white, eliminating the multi-tone thing going on now. Removing the chair rail will require patching up the stucco, and possibly leaving a noticable patch in the texture. So maybe we leave it, and hope that the single tone color scheme helps it to fade away?? Thoughts?

We're thinking white limestone facade where the cheap white tile is now on the popout surrounding the front door. I'd like to invest a large part of our budget on a great front door that mirrors the arch of that popout in size and shape. But should it be wood? Black steel? Maybe that depends on what we do with the windows, if anything, to attempt to hide the arches. Aim to coordinate? And should we square off the opening in that popout, or keep the arch?

Beautiful exterior lights and thoughtful landscaping might finish the job...

I've been staring at the house for so long I don't know what to think anymore!! I will be so appreciative of any opinions, input, advice, product recommendations, inspo pics, winning lotto numbers ... anything!!

Thank you!

Comments (16)