SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eddy_mollison

What is the ideal size of opening entryway to kitchen?

Eddy Sillonmo
last year

I am expanding/changing the entryway to one of the kitchens in my 1920's duplex that I am renovating. The previous entryway was from the hallway and was merely a door, however, I am closing that doorway and moving the entryway to the kitchen/dining room wall for a slightly more "open" feel as well as to make the kitchen itself bigger (longer wall of cabinets, etc.).

The pictures aren't great, but you will see (1) picture looking into the adjacent kitchen from the dining room and (2) a picture from the kitchen looking into the adjacent dining room, both after I had begun taking down the wall. The wall from inside the kitchen is about 116", however is slightly longer on the opposite side until it hits the hallway doorway trim (about 120").

(1)

(2)

What I am pondering is this: what is the ideal size of the entryway? Here are my current considerations:

1. I cannot make the entryway wall-to-wall (this would be too invasive of a project)

2. The entryway will be centered on the wall from the kitchen side (116" side, vs. 120" side).

3. From inside the kitchen, there will be cabinets going all the way to the kitchen/dining room wall on the left side. The opposite wall has built in cabinets (about 20" depth), however I plan on placing the refrigerator in the space between the built in cabinets and the kitchen/dining room wall. I have a counter depth refrigerator (28").

4. There will be trim around the new entryway, similar to the trim around the door on the right shown in picture #1. It measures about 4.5".

5. My general thought process is that I should "cover" the cabinets/appliances on each side of the wall from the dining room side, while maximizing the size of the opening.

My initial thought is that the wall from the kitchen side should be the size of my fridge (28") + the trim (4.5") = 32.5". This would leave me with about a 51" opening (116" - [32.5"x2]).

Question: Am I thinking about this properly? Is there any rule of thumb as to how big this opening should be made? I feel prepared as far as the correct carpentry (i.e. I am aware it is a load bearing wall and how to create a new beam), but am just looking for any additional thoughts/feedback before I set this in stone. Should I make the entry way larger/smaller based on the information that I have provided?

Comments (19)