SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

This olive green velvet sofa …

Jilly
last year
last modified: last year

Will soon be mine. I ordered it last night.

It’s just the beginning of a minor living room redo. Will need pillows (thinking big colorful Kilims among others - you know I like mixing lots of patterns and colors), replacing our love seat with a chaise or different love seat (we use and like having a loveseat, but I also like chaises), getting those chairs I posted about recovered, and a new side table. It’s going to look like a mishmash for a while as I figure out what to keep and what to cull and how I want it to come together. Fine with me, I don’t want it to look staged and like I ordered the whole room in one day.

This sofa was very inexpensive, because cats to consider, but I think we’re going to like it. Someday, we’ll splurge on a better investment.

It will be a bit sad seeing my now-sofa taken away, as it was the last one my late DH and I cuddled on.

Anyway, excited to see Big Green. :)

Comments (328)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

You do, as we know, have exquisite taste, Jilly!

Jilly thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Njmomma, I’m probably just noticing the green couches more now! :D

Cyn, thank you! :)

• Related Discussions

What color paint for olive green sofa?

Q

Comments (22)
    Zombie post! Gals and guys, you need to look at the dates before you bring a thread back up. I recognized some of the photos and had a twilight zone moment before I looked at the date!
    ...See More

HELP! My grey sofa looks olive!

Q

Comments (9)
    It's likely you viewed the sample in the store under fluorescent lights which accounts or the difference when they arrived at your home. So the sofas stay. All you can now do is change the paint and items around the sofas and make sure all selections are made in the same light as your home. The green you see is not apparent in your photos, but it can be safely mentioned that ant addition of red or orange tones will enhance the green so stay away from that. Don't bother with the sofa legs which are hidden in the shadows.
    ...See More

sofa color to add warmth

Q

Comments (22)
    Here's an idea with as close to your color walls as I could get: The removable cushion sofa : https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/willa-arlo-interiors-malden-velvet-sofa-w009432352.html?piid=1260902808 RUG: https://www.rugs-direct.com/Details/Safavieh-Aubusson-AUB104/140149
    ...See More

I’m trying to decide what wall color &rug goes w/ orange velvet couch

Q

Comments (82)
    Any of the blues are nice with the orange. Your idea for just using a window treatment with the blue is also nice. I like the window shade Paul used, and also look on Etsy; there are some sellers there with really unique items. I think a plum/eggplant color in your space could also be amazing. I think someone further up in the thread showed a room with that color combo. On an unrelated note: Is anyone else having problems with the site? I can pull up discussions but cannot access the comments, and cannot post new comments. I can apparently comment on posts I’ve previously commented on, and read comments on these posts. However, I can do all of this only if I access it through my Houzz “Activity” menu, and only if I am on Desktop mode on my iPhone. (Which all I use of late is an iPhone and I don’t use the Houzz app.) I’ve never had this issue before, so not sure if it’s site related.
    ...See More
  • amykath
    last year

This one is 75. It is in Ft. Worth and 36" round. Needs some TLC but has potential!

Jilly thanked amykath
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

That is lovely!

I’m going to have to stay at 2ft or under because it’s near a main pathway.

Thank you for looking for me! ❤️

• amykath
    last year

Ok. Good to know your specs!

Jilly thanked amykath
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

You are such a sweetie! 🥰

• amykath
    last year

I love doing it! It all for my benefit! 😉

Jilly thanked amykath
  • amykath
    last year

Ok, here is a 36 by 36 coffee table. Should be plenty short enough. Just a thought.

Jilly thanked amykath
  • amykath
    last year

I am seeing some great ideas. I would share them all, but I am not sure exactly what it is that you want.

Jilly thanked amykath
  • amykath
    last year

For 25 I can see you doing some really great things with it! Great base.

Jilly thanked amykath
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much, Amy! I’ll check them out. :)

• Eileen
    last year

Jilly, do you mean the table needs to be 2 feet or under in diameter? Clarify that for Amy. I bet she can find you something!

Jilly thanked Eileen
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Eileen, yes, unfortunately I can’t go bigger because it’s in a traffic area. I’d love a much more substantial one! Maybe next house. :)

• Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Got pillows this weekend. DH chose the lumbar for his sofa, he liked the pattern and colors. I wanted brick colored pillows with tassels … looked online for days. World Market had them and they’re perfect.

My sofa has my vintage pillows I love:

DH’s sofa:

I like that I can change out pillows when the mood hits. I’d like to incorporate more earthy blues with the green, so at some point will collect a few pillows to have different looks.

ETA: My horse statue looks like a giraffe here:

• Kitchenwitch111
    last year

Lovely room!

Jilly thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, Kitchenwitch!

We’re really enjoying The Olives. :)

• sjerin
    last year

My, you have a good eye, Jilly. Everything looks lovely and comfortable!

Jilly thanked sjerin
  • jmck_nc
    last year

Pretty sofas! In a previous home we did buy a small dining table and cut the legs down...which was a job since they were metal. I loved having that big table next to my sofa.

Jilly thanked jmck_nc
  • salonva
    last year

Looks great! you really do have a good eye. I am certain that I would see those pillows online or in a store and not think they would work, but the way you have them just works perfectly.

Jilly thanked salonva
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

sjerin, jmck, and salon … thank you! :)

I’m positive at some point I’ll sneak an animal print pillow in there somewhere. I love my animal prints! :D

• Kswl
    last year

I like the two sofas together, Jilly. They look perfect for lounging on a Saturday morning, Monday night, Friday night… heck, I could probably relax (eg sleep) on them every morning and night 😁

Jilly thanked Kswl
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, K!

DH totally agrees with you. Here he is playing a game on his Olive. 😁

• ninasmom
    last year

Love the pillows! My rug arrived today, so hoping it livens up my Ikea pillowcases, lol.

Jilly thanked ninasmom
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, ninasmom!

I love your pillows and rug with your Olive. :)

I have some rust plaid pillows I’m going to use for Fall. And Christmas pillows after. :D

• ninasmom
    last year

It’s only Spring- I don’t want to think about fall and leaves!

Jilly thanked ninasmom
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Ok so I had to drop it to see why a sofa discussion has 300 posts. I had been here before, but I missed a lot. First I saw 2 sofas and scrolled back to see when and how your first sofa reproduced, like a starfish. I think i went back 300 posts but it turns out it was recent LOL.

Love 2 sofas. In our first house we had 2 sofas facing each other in our formal LR. My sister still has them!

Jilly thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Ha, Mtn! They better not reproduce again, I don’t have room for another.

We did try them facing each other, but would need a few more feet of living room.

I expect to have these a long time — DD has called dibs on them next. :D I’m actually looking forward to them looking saggy and lived-in.

My old set is 25 yrs old! Someone is supposed to pick them up this afternoon. I’ll probably cry because I’m so sentimental.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Jilly, it’s been a while since i looked at this thread, and I am thrilled to see your beautiful pillows on the olives! The whole room looks perfect and cozy. And I love your DH’s happy socks too.

Jilly thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Outside!

One of these days I’ll find a fabric I can’t live without and have some custom pillows made (to add to the ones now).

Re: socks … he has a great collection. My favs are his pink and blue flamingo pair. 😄

• amykath
    last year

It all is looking so great! Jilly, I love the photo with your DH! Too cute. Those socks! He must be a character. :)

Jilly thanked amykath
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Amy!

He is. He doesn’t know I posted that picture. 😁

• ninasmom
    11 months ago

Hey all, rug install delayed but finally done! Still a work in progress, but that’s always the case. Footstool legs custom designed by Ranger :/

Jilly thanked ninasmom
  • Oakley
    11 months ago

Hey! Your DH stole my pants! Must get the socks though.

Nina, beautiful. Will you get a coffee table?

Jilly thanked Oakley
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Oak 😄

Ninasmom, that looks fabulous! I love that wonderful rug with your Olive. 😍

Thanks for updating!

• Oakley
    11 months ago

Jilly, I found the socks! Tell your DH he's a trendsetter. :) Can't wait to wear them in front of the grands. They like crazy socks too.

Jilly thanked Oakley
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I’ll tell him! He’ll be tickled by it. 😄

• ninasmom
    11 months ago

I know my olive (One of my late dogs, 🥲) does not compare,, but life with dogs means beds in lieu of coffee tables. It is taking me forever to type this. Hope to have another update once the old HEAVY pull-out couch is gone. This one was so much easier to maneuver!

The room looked alot bigger before we moved everything back in!

Oak, we need to stick to side tables for this room.

Jilly thanked ninasmom
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I hear you! My old set was so much heavier. Huge roll arms.

Aww, I didn’t know you had a dog named Olive. ❤️

Your sofa does too compare, I love your pillow and rug choices!

• ninasmom
    11 months ago

Thanks all, I am sure the kids will have some sock pix to contribute!

Olly was adopted by us 4yrs after her birth, so Willow and her were littermates, but Olive was the boss!

We have adjoining porch that needs to be removed,…

Jilly thanked ninasmom
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I’m wanting to add some summery pillows … have narrowed down to these color blocked ones.

They’d go on DH’s sofa with these pillows probably 16x16 size. I’m wanting to mix in a sweet, softer, and more gracious pattern:

I’m leaning most towards the first one, but wonder if the print is too big.

• Ida Claire
    11 months ago

The first one feels most right to me, and that's before I read which way you're leaning. I think the size of the print will keep it from becoming "lost", but it's still a subdued enough look to add that touch of grace. I really like the somewhat unexpected introduction of the blue too. 💙

Jilly thanked Ida Claire
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Ida, thank you! I really like the blue, too. And the fabric has a nice texture. :)

• lascatx
    11 months ago

Jilly, I don't know how I missed the two olives, the tornado, the pillows and all 300+ posts, but this is the first I have read any of this. I'm so glad your damage was mainly a roof. I hope you've been able to get it replaced. I would not want to have to go through these spring storms with tarps.

I really like the lines of your sofas. I've looked at something similar -- one with 3 cushions and another with a single cushion or bench seat and liked them both. I'm starting to think about replacing our sectional and have thought about 2 sofas it we can get the right pieces. Mine will likely be blue though.

If you don't mind, how did you find the support group you mentioned? I know someone who might benefit from the same group or something similar.

Jilly thanked lascatx
  • Allison0704
    11 months ago

I missed the tornado news, probably due to the inconsistent notifications of late. Glad everyone was okay. Hope your insurance company has been easy to deal with, I know how that can be.

Jilly thanked Allison0704
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks, lascatx and Allison!

We got a new roof last week finally. It’s a small house and only took them two days. So glad it’s done. :)

Las, I’m sorry to say that particular website/support group is long gone. I hate that it no longer exists — it saved my life. I think the rise of FB, et al, was a factor, but also the founders decided they didn’t want to do it anymore. Sadly they gave no one else the chance to buy it or run it, and just zapped it. All our posts and support gone forever.

I’m not sure if any others exist outside of FB groups anymore. I found the above back in the day just doing a Google search of relevant terms.

I hope they can find somewhere that helps. ❤️

• Kitchenwitch111
    11 months ago

Jilly & lascatx -- I don't know what group Jilly was in, but when my husband died suddenly in 2011 I found this online discussion support site helpful, and it's still going.

https://widowedvillage.org/

Jilly thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Kitchenwitch, thank you for sharing that one! I had forgotten about it, I did see it when I found mine. There were a few I looked at, and felt mine was the best fit. I wish it was still there — even now there are things I’d like to discuss among my people. (I have remained close with a few others from there.)

I’m glad the Village still exists, it looks like a good site.

I’m so sorry about your husband. ❤️

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    11 months ago

Love the block print pillows, Jilly. Such a beautiful thread.

Jilly thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you, Zee!