SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann_fl

Does anyone know much about iPad's?

joann_fl
last year

I have one but its old and can't download anymore on it. I am looking to buy another one but don't have a clue as to what to look for. I don't want to spend much. I don't care if it's used as long as it works. I will just be using Wi-Fi no service contract. Can anyone direct me on what to look for or what to buy? TIA

Comments (32)

• stacey_mb
    last year

Thank you, Joann, for posting this query because I too am looking for a new iPad, mini in my case. I had a look at Apple's site and there seem to be lots of bells and whistles with the new models. Feedback from users would be great.

• maifleur03
    last year

I looked at them a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the watch I had dropped. No comments about what the bells and whistles are. I am about to replace my Kindle mostly because the system the library is switching to is "interesting". You might be more comfortable with the larger sized Pro 12.9 inches although it seemed larger than that when I picked it up. vs the others that are 10.9. If you use it primarily for reading like I would you might find it a little cumbersome to hold.

• Related Discussions

Does anyone know much about natural cranberry/CP bog formations?

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm trying to simulate, sort-of, a natural looking cranberry and carnivorous plant bog in my yard. I have a 37' pond and an entrance/exit pair of streams. I can place them around the pond's marsh, but that is not sterile. In nature, would you find a former stream bed filled with peatmoss and true bog plants? If so, I could make a dead stream bed leading from the pond that only fills when the pond is over flowing. Thanks, Steve
    ...See More

Does Anyone Know What I Am Talking About?

Q

Comments (3)
    They almost sound like selbuvotter mittens. The number of needles doesn't matter really. Often to knit in the round people use DPN's --double pointed needles. And European (also called continental) also doesn't matter, you can knit these "english" style (also called throwing) the yarn also. Here is a link that might be useful: Google Selbuvotter
    ...See More

Anyone know much about antique glassware? (many pics)

Q

Comments (21)
    I have 37 pieces of the same stemware. Appraised as *heavy 24k gold inlay. Surprisingly sold as depression ware during the 1930's when pure gold was about $12. per ounce. Definitely a period piece(s). As to valuation...your guess as good as mine. *As opposed to the later thin period gold plating.
    ...See More

FB PURITY. Anyone know if this is good for your iPad or another scam .

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi Lyban. I'm a regular on the Kitchen Table and Cooking Forums. I've used FBP for a number of years, and it works great. I see absolutely no ads whatsoever, and you can also check off the things you want to hide. e.g. people with new friends; games; trending topics; etc. I don't care about any of those things. FB automatically sets your newsfeed to Top Stories, so you might be limited in what your feed is showing. I have FBP set to Most Recent. These are just a few things you can do to personalize FB. I wouldn't be without it, personally. Here's a little 'funny' regarding the recent outage. This breaks me up!
    ...See More
  • jrb451
    last year

I use a basic IPad with no cell plan and it meets my needs. I recently upgrade to the 10th gen from a 7th. Apple has refurbished IPad, 8th generation, wi-fi only, for sale here with a one year warranty. Refurbished iPad - iPad - Apple

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

Check out macofalltrades.com - they're in Tampa, and offer refurbished Apple products for great savings. They're certified by Apple as well, so you can trust them to deliver as promised.

https://www.macofalltrades.com/ipads/

I got a terrific deal from them on an iMac a number of years ago, and when I'm ready to buy more, they're my choice.

They used to do trade-ins, but I'm not sure if they still do.

• Gargamel
    last year

When I was looking for a new ipad mini, what was most important to me was the amount of storage it had.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

iPads are little more than larger size iPhones (no apostrophe for plurals). There are options but little in the way of bells and whistles, they all have the same functionality but for the data connection. It recalls Henry Ford's comment that you can get a Model T in any color you want, so long as it's black.

Variables at the user's choice, and my views of them:

-with or without a mobile connection, used with Wifi if without. Depends on intended usage

-screen size. Personal preference

-Generation number. The newer, the longer it will be able to download new and updated apps because more time will pass before getting prevented by Apple to do so.

-storage capacity. For only in-home use, there's little use for more. The need for more storage would come from having more photos, more music, more downloaded videos to watch when off-line. Such things shouldn't be "stored" on just an iPad anyway, should be backed up on a PC or with online storage.

• dedtired
    last year

Mine’s an ipad Pro, 10.5 screen. Ive had it a few years but its still going strong. No cellservice, i have my phone for that.

I still have aMini that is about 12 years old and still works although its capacity is very limited, as you can imagine. I use it for the Kindle app.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

I recently got a newer model iPad mini from a local auction house, so keep a lookout for registered sellers of overstock and refurbished models. There aren't many bells or whistles that you need to worry about - the differences are mostly speed, physical size, and capacity.

• Gargamel
    last year

I love my ipad mini. It’s big enough that I can easily reach all the letters on the keyboard with my two thumbs. It’s also big enough that I can actually see something on it. It’s also small enough to fit in the outside pocket of my purse without weighing me down so much. I don’t know how much the mini’s picture quality has increased in the time since I purchased mine (2019) …however mine doesn’t take such great pictures. I use my mini to send emails, take photos, videos, watch you tube, go online…pretty basic stuff.

• joann_fl
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, but I want a cheap one just for the basics. Send me any links you have.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

I tried a tablet, and gave up pretty quickly. What I have noticed, is McKay's sells them for cheap. Maybe you could buy one pretty easily at a place that sells those sorts of things?

• stacey_mb
    last year

I loved my iPad Mini, especially for going on vacation, where I could use it as a camera, for the internet and for many other functions. Now because of its age, I can't update various apps so it's time to upgrade. For listening to audiobooks, I don't have a cell phone and am grateful that I purchased a new iPod before they stopped being available.

• lily316
    last year

We traded in our old iPad for a new one when I bought my new iPhone last year. Maybe it's me but I never use it and wonder why we got another one. He uses his iPhone for everything and I use mine and we both use our desktop which is my go-to when I'm home. The screen is the size of a TV and I have a comfortable chair in one of the nicest rooms in the house.

Re: iPods. I found mine last week when I was looking for something and I wish I could use it. I have hundreds of songs on there and I plugged it in to hear some of them but the battery is long dead. I'm guessing there is no way to transfer this music to my phone. I loved that little thing.

• maddielee
    last year

“Re: iPods. I found mine last week when I was looking for something and I wish I could use it. I have hundreds of songs on there and I plugged it in to hear some of them but the battery is long dead. I'm guessing there is no way to transfer this music to my phone. I loved that little thing.”

If you bought your music from iTunes, log on to iTunes and load the songs on to your phone.

• PRN
    last year

If you just want the cheapest, go to any site you are comfortable with (Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) and sort Ipad models by price. There are refurbished models on all these sites that have lower prices if you are comfortable buying those. I couldn't live without my ipad.

• jrb451
    last year

@lily316, were your iPod songs loaded from your ITunes account? If so, they may still be available to you. Open your "Music" app on your IPhone and then your "Library" tab at the bottom to see.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

Love, love, love my iPad! I’m using it now. I recently got my third since they were first introduced; this time a 9th generation with more storage than the last. No need for WiFi if you can link to your phone- or so I was told by an Apple salesman. I got it on Amazon for $50 off, as I recall.

• Uptown Gal
    last year

I have an old Apple Mini...and love it. I have it in my kitchen and only use it for

family message board, my music lists, some recipes or something I am thinking about and want to "google" fast, etc.,

etc. My desktop in the office is my main computer. It has all my info on it, and I

like the office feel when I am using it, but use my music lists on it too.

Love them both...for what they each do for me. :)

• greenshoekitty
    last year

All I can add is to also check Wallmart when you are ready to buy. I have gotten my last 2 from them, and saved lots of money pluss never had a problem with them.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

" I tried a tablet, and gave up pretty quickly. "

I'm happy to have the same as view as rob. I know some people find tablets (whether the Apple or Android flavor, or Kindles) quite useful but I don't share the view. My phone is always with me no matter where I am and indispensable for so many tasks, in addition to being a phone. If I need something with a larger screen, easier to navigate between screens, easier/faster to type into (though I do use voice recognition on it), etc, the next step for me is a PC. Nothing in-between fills the gap.

PS, for those looking to save money by buying a used device, I encourage you to stick to certified and/or professionally refurbished ones. You don't want to spend money on someone else's discard that hasn't been checked over and reconditioned.

• faftris
    last year

My DD set up mine for me, but I am not using it to its fullest. I got the Apple mini, wifi only, when I had surgery and was unable to get to the library, which coincided with Covid shutdowns too. I use it for taking out e-books, and I like it. I am a big library-user of physical books, but sometimes there's something that I am not quite sure is worthy of driving over to get it and then driving over to return it if I don't like it. So much easier to click "return". My library has Libby and Hoopla, and I borrow magazines too.

• joyfulguy
    last year

You're sure that this wasn't meant to be a discussuon about incontinence pads?

o j ... sort of an old fart, it looks like

• lily316
    last year

jrb451...I forgot about this thread, so I just looked and followed your directions and all my music IS on my phone. Now I just have to buy earbuds. Thanks for info. Besides Apple, what are cheaper but good earbuds?

• jrb451
    last year

@lily316, I use this Adaptor with my old, 3.5mm, plug in ear buds in my IPad 10th gen. A lot cheaper than buying wireless ear buds.

• joann_fl
    Original Author
    last year

not, I pods, I want a I PAD

• stacey_mb
    last year

Thank you for the info about adapting ear buds, jrb. That's a question that I had now that I'm considering a new iPad mini (if I can justify to myself the fairly large cost of this toy) lol!

• Gargamel
    last year

If you’re looking for a used ipad mini, I think the ipad mini 4 was the last one with a nice amount of storage (128 GB)…afterwards they chopped it by about half. (so maybe you’d have to buy apple icloud? 🤔). I have the mini 4 (I bought it in 2019 but I think they came out in 2013 ?)

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

How much of your 128 GB of storage is being used?

• Gargamel
    last year

Elmer - 62 GB

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

You likely could have saved money buying a 64GB model, and I'd bet that a few dozen more GB of space would be available if unused/unnecessary files were removed.

File storage of items with lasting use on PCs or external devices is safer and more flexible.

• lily316
    last year

Target came thru for me reducing the Apple earbuds which are waiting for me to pick up tomorrow.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!