SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

S daylilies 2023…….new suggestions for S

sherrygirl zone5 N il
last year
last modified: last year

The next few days are for S daylilies. Since there are so many daylilies in this category, lets try something different. Today list 7 or 8 of your best daylilies. Then over the weekend list another 7 or 8 in a new post.

Bad joke of the day: The trouble with kleptomaniacs is they always take things literally.

Sweet Isabella is listed because it is one of my favorites, a decent performer here.

Sailor Sky is a gorgeous color, a late bloomer and a good increaser.

Silky Sky is the only Lambertson daylily I have had that likes my garden, thats why it is on the list for me. Blooms have been trouble free and it adds at least one fan each season.

Stone Palace Divine has been a great addition. Good increaser, large blooms on a tall plant. blooms have been trouble free.

Sunday Gloves is sun tolerant here. The blooms look as good at 9pm as they do at 9am.

Sherry

Comments (33)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Well, my comments vanished so I'll try again.........Since I'm in an Easter mood I really like the soft pastels on Stone Palace Design. Very sweet.....I always like your Sunday Gloves. Reputed to be one of the close to true white daylilies. Nice one......As for your groaner - you got me again........LOL........Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Related Discussions

PLEASE Help Me Redo My 1940's House Landscaping!

Q

Comments (9)
    Well, I would have to agree that if you are moving in two years, you don't want to spend a lot of time or energy on a lot of landscaping. The new owner may not like what you did, and end up ripping it all out and starting over to suit their own taste. That said, I think I'd like to see a small ornamental tree in the area about halfway between the lamp post and house to break up and disguise that large expanse of brick and change of siding material to the left of the big window. Maybe Amelanchier, something not too dense. I'd also like to see something softening the edge of the retaining wall. Low growing Cotoneaster has interesting branch patterns and colorful berries in the fall and winter. Microbiota could cover that bank and provide year round color, or one of the low growing Junipers or other evergreens. That bank is your biggest problem, IMO. Rhododendrons and Azaleas are nice, but once they finish blooming in spring, they will just be foliage. Adding in an Oakleaf Hydrangea for summer flowers and fall color might be nice off to the right side. Unless you go with a Meyer Lilac or a mildew resistant cultivar, you may end up with a mass of powdery mildew for the rest of the summer. Not very attractive. Making the planting area near the house a little deeper to leave some space for a couple of clumps of perennials that bloom at different times of the season will give you some extra interest. Add them in masses, not just one or two, so that when they bloom, you actually can see them.
    ...See More

Suggestions for daylilies under 18'

Q

Comments (3)
    Not sure if this will help or not, but you can do a custom query in Tinker's Database (linked below.) It won't tell you what does well, but it will give you everything in the database that is the height you use in the query. Just type in ht=14 and it will give you every daylily that is registered as 14" tall. A search for ht=10 brought up 46 matches. You can do up to three filters in the search, so if you wanted to specify a color that can be entered too. I just thought it was a cool feature to use, but of course, getting first hand experience from the good folks here can't be beat! STELLA'S RUFFLED FINGERS is 19" tall (a little over) but I have heard that it is a fantastic addition to a border like you have since you want rebloom. You might want to type that in the search field in this forum to get some old posts about it. Happy Hunting! Vickie Here is a link that might be useful: Tinker's Gardens
    ...See More

need suggestions for yellow daylilies

Q

Comments (12)
    Hudson Valley grows well here - 8.5 inch flower. Big Bird, another good grower looks bigger than it's 7 inches. Mynelle's Starfish is just gorgeous - large,10 inch flower with a unique shape, but is a very short plant. Prairie Moonlight is another lovely yellow with an 8 inch flower. And for yellow spider shapes, Easy Ned, Twist of Lemon, Spider Miracle, and Rococo are yellow, with no gold tones. Linda
    ...See More

Suggestions for sunfast pinkish daylilies?

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm in southern Michigan, so you can take that into account with my suggestions. These have done well for me: FINAL TOUCH BEST KEPT SECRET ABSOLUTE TREASURE BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S MICHIGAN MAGIC SUPERFICIAL SIGHS PRETTY WOMAN BECKY LYNN NEAL BERREY GOSSAMER PARASOL PINK COTTON CANDY Good luck -- Chris
    ...See More
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

I wonder if either of you have both Sailor Sky and South Seas. They look so much alike in the pictures and like my South Seas in person. Wondering what the differences are. I also like Sweet Isabella and Sweetest Name I know.

Scarlett Pimpernel. Tall, great show almost daily, reliable, very large bloom. Along the back I have 2 clumps of it along with a clump of Rob Cobb that really makes a great background to everything else.

Siloam Amazing Grace. Thick substance, great bloomer and increaser, large bloom for a Siloam, good shows. Fertile.

Smoky Mt. Autumn. Can't say enough about the color. This one came out very bicolor but that's not normal. Fairly good bloomer but does have its off years.

So Lovely. Excellent late bloomer.

South Seas

Stealth Bomber. It took a number of years to get up to strength and I almost gave up on it. But wow is it amazing now!

Strutter's Ball. Pretty, well budded, fairly reliable.

Sugar Magnolia. Beautiful large flowers, tall, well budded. One cross with it so far and pleased.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Nancy 6b
    last year

Favorites so far: Sweet Isabela, Stone Palace Divine, Sweetest Name I know, Smoky Mountain Autumn, Stealth Bomber. I love Sugar Magnolia, I think I got it due to Brad's pictures. Beautiful flowers here, but not a heavy bloomer for me, sadly.

My picture of Sailor Sky, would not be a favorite color, but y ou can't take your eyes off it when in bloom. Blooms a long time and fast to increase.

Screen Pattern grows well, not above average in bud count, but it always seems to look good I think.

Shark Infested Waters has not been here very long, and did not do a lot the first year, but last year bloomed well and rebloomed. It does have occasional splotches, but not too bad.

Ok, Soli Deo Gloria may not be the fastest to increase, but it bloomed and rebloomed last year, quite a few buds too. I may have lost it in the drought though, keeping my fingers crossed. Probably not the best to include here, but I do love it.

Shutterbug is another that did not do anything special til I moved it. I know, I seem to have deleted my good pictures, what was I thinking?

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • organic_kitten
    last year

Funny joke, Sherry.

Samsational Love this intro from Canada: All Nancy's fault She posted it and I had to have one.

It does rebloom and I this will be the third year I have had iy.

Space coast Francis Busby: I love orange lilies, the brighter the better adn thanks to Debra, this beauty is doing very well here. It does rebloom which is always a bonus.

Sugar Magnolia. this is a wonderful plant here. It does indeed bloom and rebloom and the blooms are large and lovely.

Sun Dazzle Gorgeous tall yellow that was a lucky bonus.

Sweet Isabella. This one reblooms here and is a lovely bloom

Sabine Bauer: this one also reblooms

Shelby

That is my seven for today. Houzz is driving me crazy. It is not showing my photo of Sweet Isabella, but when I hit edit, it shows the photo. Submit, and it has disappeared twice. I will not edit again, but will leave it as it is. Houzz!

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • shive
    last year

I personally don't have more S daylilies than I have many other letters (at least 7). I think we should have kept this one to five too.

Kay and Brad - Sugar Magnolia looks so pretty in your gardens! Mine used to bloom and rebloom like crazy, but its been languishing in the shade for several years. Every year I vow to find a sunnier spot for it, but I never do. If it's not too rainy this Spring, I'll finally move it. It's definitely the best performer among Nan Wilkerson's UFs.

Sherry - I always like Sweet Isabela and Silky Skies. Silky Skies did not survive in a pot for me.

Nancy - Your Soli Deo Gloria always looks so much prettier than mine, which barely bloomed at all last year. I have it in the ground, but it just doesn't seem to like it here. Perhaps it needs just a little bit more winter cold to flourish. Its child, Blood of the Martyrs, does well though.

Maryl - Sweet Summer Secret is a pretty one!

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

We also grow South Seas. I must admit that it's a great growing daylily, but it's not fancy enough for me. I would let it leave the garden, but Bob loves it. Two others I like are Spacecoast Frances Busby and Sweet Isabella. Samsational is indeed a sensational, but it has been slow to get established here.

Here are my S's.

Saber Tooth Tiger is not my favorite color, but it is a great grower.

Sea of Cinders is one of our favorites. It blooms in the greenhouse usually in March or April and then reblooms later in the summer. We do grow one in a protected location in the ground outside.

I am not sure what kind of performer Siloam Shocker will be, but I love the flower.

Sonoran Desert Rose is a great one for the late garden. It's tall, well budded, vigorous, and hardy.

I think I paid $5 for Swingin' Miss at our club's auction. This is a really cute small flowered daylily. The scapes were taller than the registered height.

That's all for me.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Nancy, Soli Deo Gloria is my favorite of yours. So nice!

Kay, Sabine Bauer is such a very pretty bloom! It aways catches my attention.

Brad

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Smokey Mountain Autumn is always one of my favorites. Also on my gold star list are Soli Deo Gloria, Sea of Cinders, and Samsational..................Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • lilykate7a
    last year

Some of my S daylilies that usually perform well.

Stardust Dragon-always a terrific performer. I think Debra has said it did not perform well for her.

Simplicity in Motion-another great multiplier and bloomer

Stargate Portal-blooms well even in weeds!

Siloam David Kirchoff-one of the few small daylilies I keep

Soft Contrast-wish I had taken a clump shot of this one

Substantial Evidence-I love the variety of looks on this one

Another look of Substantial Evidence

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • shive
    last year

Sanford Intermezzo always puts on a nice show, even in awful seasons like 2022.

Star Lord was one the very best performing daylilies in my garden with bud counts in the 20s. Because it was next to seedlings, it got watered pretty regularly. It's a good pod setter in high temps.

Strawberry Alarm Clock is usually much taller and better branched. Even so, it had a lot of pretty flowers in the second half of the season.

Such A Blaze was one of the most sunfast daylilies in my garden last summer - even when the heat index was 112! It multiplies fast. I hope it will be taller and have more buds this season.

Silver Sword was taller than in the past and had a few more buds than usual. I think it would do better if it were not shaded by taller dormants with beefy foliage.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    last year

Silver S is a slow multiplier here. Some striking ones had issues the past year. S Portal didn't bloom at all this past summer. Some other Shooters had similar problems. Screen P has not been a good performer this far north, as was the case with David.

Lots that look appealing: Sanford Intermezzo (though not for here), Shark-I Waters, Samsational, Sugar M, and Scarlet Pimpernell (which I have, but moved to the sunny estate since it was splotchy here), Soft Contrast. Of course, Sweet Isabella.

Safe Island --good earlier bloomer and some years reblooms

Song of the Sea --wish it were slightly larger

Sitting Cool --lovely pastel blend

Seventy Times Seven --tall

Silver Ice --a Munson that has stayed.

Sam Abell

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Nancy, I really like Sea of Cinders. Such a great bright one! Nice form too.

Kate, Simplicity in Motion is my favorite of yours. Great color and form. Wonderful clump.

Debra, Star Lord is my favorite of yours, great color. I also like Such a Blaze.

Mantis, Safe Island and Song of the Sea are very pretty.

Brad

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

There are many that I find appealing, but they probably would not enjoy my weather (Sanford Intermezzo for one). I do like the look of STAR LORD, SHELBY (surprised that I don't have that one) and SAMSATIONAL LOVE.

SMOKEY MOUNTAIN AUTUMN: I will second Brad's comments about this one.

SITTING COOL: One of my favorite Bennett pastels.

SILOAM RALPH HENRY: Large bloom that has substance of plastic. Well branched and a good bloomer as long as it gets regular watering. Of all the daylilies that I grow, this one is a rather thirsty one. Other daylilies perform well with the watering that I do, but this one needs more. It is also a very slow increaser and does not take well to dividing.

SALTY SKIPPER: Another Bennett. MANTIS, this one is now in my top 10.

SHOWTIME MAGIC: Another Bennett intro. This one consistently sends up rebloom scapes year after year, thus providing a long bloom season. I love the pink midribs.

This concludes my top 5 Diploids that begin with the letter S. The Tetraploids to follow.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • daylilybedmaker
    last year

Here are the Tets:

SUGAR CREAM PIE: This is a great plant.

SWIMMING WITH SHARKS: This one can have too many blooms open at times. They get a little crowded at time. Increases well.

SCARLET MARIE: A fantastic double. Every bloom is perfect.

SHORES OF TIME: Great color. Has been a consistent performer for me with a bud count into the teens. It is a little slow to increase.

SPACECOAST THORNY DEVIL: I love this plant. Well branched and budded. Always thorny.

That is all from me.

David

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Kate, so good to see Sustantial Evidence again!

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    last year

I have the same old reliable ones to post, as in year's past:

SWALLOW TAIL KITE, never fails to impress here. Always loaded with blooms, hardy and robust; I load it with pods every year

SCARLET PIMPERNEL, always shines in the garden for early and reliable bloom, great pod set, thrives even during drought conditions and partial shade

SIMPLICITY IN MOTION, another vote for this great performing daylily

SUN PANDA, never fails to be one of the best plants in the garden; consistent year after year

SUNAPEE SUNSET, hybridized here in New Hampshire, not the prettiest bloom to my eye but the volume of blooms it produces is outstanding, plus cold-hardiness and vigor can't be beat

STARGATE PORTAL, just a great diploid that I never tire of and never let's me down

Other good ones that I neglected to take pictures of this year: SMUGGLER'S FIRE, SCARLET PANSY, SPIDER MAN, SOUTH SEAS AND SPIRIT FOX.....ALL EXCELLENT HERE.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • lilykate7a
    last year

Here are more good performing S plants. I have lots of S, it appears.

Sweetest Name I Know is very sunfast.

Spirit Fox thrives under a peach tree!!

Sweet Isabela seems to be in a lot of gardens

This one is lovely in clump form

Shores of Time-lighter than David’s color. Consistently reblooms.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • mantis__oh
    last year

A am amazed at the display of Stargate Portal. Salty Skipper had fewer blooms this year because it was divided. Dips seem to take longer to recover. Shores of Time has a new location. In old location, sometimes splotchy or poor opening.

I do have a lot of S's I would recommend.

Stargirl.

Spunky Girls --an earlier one.

Something Wonderful. An older Salter, but so beautifully ruffled.

Substantial Treasure. Big and showy. But appears to be a space hog.

Snowflake Empress. Though not as fast multiplying as most Doughertys, it is a nice off white.

Sputnik seems that it will be a colorful Davisson.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

My second batch of great S daylilies.

Soco Gap benefitted greatly after a move to a sinnier spot.

Solar Blast has had great increase here. You never know how these blooms will look, always a surprise, here is another example.

Sea Dragon has been a good performer, an eye catcher in the garden. last season was not its best.

Stephanie Returns has been stellar here until last season, wasnt as prolific.

Sherry

• shive
    last year

David - Sugar Cream Pie makes an impressive clump!

Mantis - Stargirl sure resembles Rose F. Kennedy, which I know you have said did not increase well for you. Is Stargirl a good increaser, and does it have more buds than Rose in your climate? Spunky Girls and Sputnik are appealing. Song of the Sea looks like a nice one.

Kate - Sweetest Name I Know sure is pretty in your picture. It seems to be pretty sunfast for Maryl too.

There is one more S daylily that performed well here last season. It was Sun Temple Spirit, a late blooming Hanson.

These S daylilies usually perform very well but had low branching and bud count in last year's dry , hot season:

So Irresistible

Sweet Prairie Wind

Sweet Child of Mine

Sword of Justice

Shores of Time - much lighter than usual last season.

_exy Samantha

Stenciled Infusion

Debra

• mantis__oh
    last year

I like the peachy tones of Solar Blast. Very unusual form.

I like the pics of Song of Promise, which looks quite similar to the Nobel that I have (out of S of P). At least, mine was supposed to be Nobel. So many of those Doughertys have stood the test of time.

Stargirl is out of Emerald Starburst, so a half sister to Rose. A richer color and wider segments than Rose. RFK gave me so much grief that I shudder when I see it as a parent. Well, we won't bring that up again, but I have lots of company in terms of RFK problems (wouldn't grow for Dale Hensley and Gossard may use it in hybridizing, but according to Dick, G has said that it is primarily a hybridizing, not a garden, plant).

I saw $exy Samantha at Crintonic--very fetching flower, but beanpole scape there and certainly hadn't multiplied much. Tried to get it last year, but not available.

Spinal Tap --not a good year for it in terms of bloom quality and height.

Stop the Car

Sun Panda. As Celeste noted, it's one of Culver's showiest.

Stone Beacon --makes a nice later display in the hospital garden. Heavy substance. Yellows work so well with other perennials.

Suddenly Last Summer --deeper than parent Joan Derifield, but makes the large fans that aren't space friendly.

Sultry Girls --very good this past year. It was a year in which cultivars in general were clean, as David noted.

Sword of Justice. So far, glad that Debra spotlighted this one.

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

Since we are on the topic of S's, does anyone grow STOLEN HEART by Lee Pickles and care to comment on it? I have been tempted to purchase it. I contacted a person in Canada who grows it and is selling seeds on the LA with SH as a parent and they said that they mulch it in heavily each fall and it has been coming back each year.

Thanks,

David

• mantis__oh
    last year

Paul Lewis has grown it and can be contacted on Facebook. I assume that it is mainly a hybridizing plant for him.

• Nancy 6b
    last year

More favorites: Space coast Francis Busby, Sabine Baer, Sea of Cinders, Stargate Portal, Star Lord, Silver Sword which was not hardy for me, Song of the Sea, SUGAR CREAM PIE, Sweet Prairie Wind, Spinal Tap.

Subtle Knife has done pretty well for me and has rebloomed

Stenciled Infusion did not do as well last summer but usually does great

1st year for Sparkling Giants it did pretty well. Did not reach the stats for bud count but it did rebloom nicely

Scandinavia is a great plant

Sweet Isabella

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    last year

Its good to hear more good reports about Scandinavia and Simplicity in Motion, they got added here last season.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

I'll comment on more of your posts Monday, though I do need to say how striking Swallowtail Kite is!!! Here's two more for me:

Sun King is very cheery & reliable

Solomon's Robe is still fairly new but doing pretty well. It is actually darker than this shows.

Brad

• shive
    last year

David - I have Stolen Heart, but it has NOT bloomed in the first two years. I hope it will flower this season.

Mantis - I'm glad you're happy with Sword of Justice. Don't you think the color is better than in Karol's photos?

Debra

• mantis__oh
    last year

Solomon's Robe is a nice shade of purple. I see it is a Talbott evergreen.

Yes, the Emmerich photo is much too reddish and doesn't canoe as much. You have noted before that her camera has a reddish bias--perhaps partly because pictures of her purples are taken later when the red spectrum predominates. Karol was reluctant to send Sword to me because she thought I wouldn't like it. (Plant performance still under evaluation here.) She tries hard to avoid the photo fraud that is a bane of the daylily world.

She's Like a Rainbow --Performance not yet clear.

Soft Summer Night --I have a hard time letting this go. Most people seem to no longer have any interest in the Stamile pinks.

Stolen Treasure. Scape-to-fan ratio can be low, but it is still a very attractive cultivar.

Stole

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

MANTIS: I have seen SHE'S LIKE A RAINBOW for the past two years in the garden of a friend of mine who lives in PA. He loads it with pods every year and it seems to be unaffected by having that many pods. It tends to be a little later bloomer, as it is in full bloom when I stop by his place on my way home from MD the first Saturday in August. I don't remember it having that many darker pink dots on the petal tips. It is on my list to add to the collection based upon what I have seen in a York, PA garden.

David

• mantis__oh
    last year

Yes, I was surprised at the coloration, as at Crintonic, it was darker. Here it is at Crintonic in 2021, on a beautiful morning in the mid-sixties. I notice though that in the database, Jim T also has a pic that is lighter. This was the first year's bloom. I am hoping that it will be darker in the future, but it may be variable or a climatic difference.

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

That's the way it looked in the garden in York, PA.

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

When I said I'd comment more on blooms, I had no idea how many there would be! Here goes:

David, Sitting Cool and Shores of Time.

Celeste, Stargate Portal.

Kate, Sweetest Name I Know [love the color] Spirit Fox [nice and bright], and I think your Spider Miracle is a bit greener than mine. Nancy,

Mantis, Star Girl, Spunky Girls, Sultry Girls, and Sputnik.

Sherry, I like the bright color of Soco Gap.

Debra, So Irresistible and Sweet Child of Mine

Nancy, Sparkling Giants and Scandinavia.

Brad