SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmakma

Shower Floor--2x2 hexagon polished porcelain--yes or no?

kmakma
last year

Is a small porcelain hexagon tile suitable for the shower FLOOR if it is polished? My question is whether it is too slippery. I seem to find conflicting answers in my search. Some say it is the size of the tile (grout lines) that matter and some say that it is polished/matte that matters.

Part of the description of the tile online: This tile features 2 in. hexagon chips on a 12 in. x 12 in. mesh-mounted mosaic sheet with a smooth finish and can be used for whole floors or wall sections or trimmed to provide a striking accent as desired. Use the tile in various areas around the home for medium-duty flooring such as in kitchens, hallways or even outside around terraces or balconies. The slip-resistant design is recommended for indoor use.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

If you slip, a grout line only 1/8" deep is going to stop you. I would err on the side of caution since I have slipped on matte porcelain and broken my leg in 7 pieces.

kmakma thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • njmomma
    last year

😱

• kmakma
    Original Author
    last year

@Raimondi Thanks. I had looked for that and could not find it on the retailer website. It is an MSI product so I contacted them and they are supposed to be emailing me a spec sheet.

• kmakma
    Original Author
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner oh my goodness! That is terrible. I hope you healed well.

• RedRyder
    last year

Go for non-slip tiles. Beverly just made the most compelling argument.

Glad you’re better @BeverlyFLDeziner! Sounds like a it was a terrible, terrible fall.

• rioaggie
    last year

I’m curious… did you end up going with those 2x2 tiles? They sound like what I’m looking at for our shower floor. MSI white 2x2 hexagon. They’re not polished, but not grainy (can’t think of a better word…) like some floor tiles.

• Ann Becchina
    last year

We are in midst of planning for 4 showers in a new build and I am very focused on the tile floors not being slippery-- many years ago, one of my kids slipped on regular ceramic tile and slammed her foot into the wall, breaking it. I keep hearing that the grout lines will solve the risk (designer likes polished carrera marble) but I have been looking at honed but not polished tiles for that reason.

• kl23
    last year

And people chide me for choosing half-cut pebbles because it will be hard to clean. Yeah, no-slip is pretty important. I'm also now considering getting all the plastic grocery bags out of the house.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

You still have plastic grocery bags??!!! They don't exist here. Anywhere!!!

Bring your tote, or settle for brown paper and pay.

A nice big tote is better by far.

• kl23
    last year

Yeah, we still have plastic grocery bags in the house from before the pandemic. Hubby is in charge of shopping and has it all delivered now. But we keep things...bad habit.

• kmakma
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I did not choose these 2x2 hexagons. They just seemed way too slippery without grout. I got the sample wet and it was super slippery (no grout). Who knows...it may have been fine grouted. My installer also recommended I look for something different.