SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yvonne_t48

Retaining wall options

Yvonne T
last year

Would love ideas on the following design issue. I need to plant a hedge on either side of the metal arbor in front of the stone wall. On the left side, the wall is almost flush with the ground. On the right side, due to the slope some kind of retaining wall will be required to get it level with the walkway. The hedge will be matching an existing beech hedge on the other side behind the blue arbor. The height of the existing wall is about 17 inches at the highest point. The beech hedge will require about 24” depth and I’d like to allow another 2-3 feet in front of it for additional plantings. If I’d thought this through initially, the wall would have come out further.

Options I’ve been mulling over:

1. Build another wall in front. Pros: stone will look good and kind of consistent. Cons: seems expensive.

2. Use some kind of corten like retaining wall. Pros: cheaper and quicker to get installed. Cons: the corten brown might stand out too much. Maybe a grey steel would work better.

3. Stone boulders: Cons: too informal given the formality of the adjacent garden.

I would appreciate views and ideas. Thanks.

Edited to add that I realize I will probably have to move the first arbor closest to the steps back.

Comments (16)