SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grace_shou

What do you think of this tile for a shower?

Grace W
last year

I found this large format polished porcelain tile on display at Floor & Decor and loved it. Do you think it will look okay in a bathroom with small matte white floor tiles, white walls, and the vanity etc pictured in the collage? What do you think of this tile? I haven't seen many like it.

Comments (53)

• palimpsest
    last year

There is a certain kind of bathroom in a certain kind of house that can take a tile like this, but I don't think it's a great option for a shower in a typical house. The overall scheme of the house has to be over the top to carry it off.

• palimpsest
    last year

I actually think patterns like this are more successful when they do overwhelm the space. That's why they don't work in ordinary houses

Contrary to popular wisdom, I think the best use of this sort of thing is when you can use it in excess and not use a small amount as an accent with other plain finishes. Again why it's only going to work in a certain kind or house. (Although the below is a retail setting in Paris of Bisazza tile.

• Related Discussions

Master Shower/Tub Combo what do you think so far?

Q

Comments (8)
    Here is a picture of the fiberglass that was done. This picture is BEFORE we had to put in the platform for the tub. The plumber wanted us to put in the platform but neglected to tell us that from the start. We then re-fiberglassed the platform into the shower area. Are you saying we should have fiberglassed the shower walls too??
    ...See More

Bathroom Tile, what do you think of accent tile

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi beverly27, thanks, oh I like the accenting tile on the bench and the floor, we just demo'd the shower door and realize we have two lights in the bathroom and a window which makes it very light, so now we are thinking of a darker tile as a choice, but not sure if we should put the same tile on floor as the shower. we plan on an expresso black vanity with a white sink, the bathroom is so small that the vanity can only be 24 inches in width. will post photos in a new thread as well.
    ...See More

What do you think of this tile?

Q

Comments (22)
    >>They look great together. But you may regret so many grout lines on the floor. Water + grout = mold and mildew living space. Also marble tile may be slippery.Actually, with tiles that small, there's a lot of grout (like you said) and its not slippery at all. I've had 1x1 tumbled yellow onyx on my shower floor for about 5 years and no mold problems. It was sealed before it was grouted, then again after it was grouted. The walls of my shower are walker-zanger hand made tiles that the contractor insisted on putting big grout lines on (to my dismay). I thought that I was in for a moldy nightmare. But suprisingly the only problem that I had was in a single bead of caulk that I put in myself between the base of a window and the wall tile. I didn't use mildew-resistent caulk. Its mildew-resistent now! (I hate caulking) Just make sure you keep it clean and vent the bathroom well and run the vent every time after you shower. If you put a timer switch on it, then you won't worry about forgetting to turn it off.
    ...See More

What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?

Q

Comments (51)
    yep, enduring is correct, we need to leave the door open when we run the fan. But it does a great job keeping the warm air and steam in when you're taking a shower. From what I understand a true steam shower would require more waterproofing and a sloped ceiling in addition to the steam plumbing. We decided not to do all that. One thing we didn't think about -- it's pretty sound proof in there. My husband and I used to carry on conversations while one of us showered prior to the remodel. Our ceiling was high and the glass didn't go all the way up. Now the person in the shower can't hear the other person.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Giz Design Studio LLC
    last year

If you love it and plan to live here for a while then do what makes you happy.

I think it all looks beautiful together, will be a striking bathroom.

• kandrewspa
    last year

I agree with @palimpsest - is this going to fit in with your house in general? If not, do something more restrained and go crazy with towels or art if you have some wall area to work with. Those are easy to change when you want a change later and you won't run the risk of turning people off when you go to sell your house.

• ilikefriday
    last year

This could either be fabulous or a colossal failure. Imo few can pull something like this off but it is the kind of design I crave. I would do it with a black floor and vanity. What does the rest of your home look like? Can it support this look?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I do think it would be kind of overwhelming, especially with small format tile (even more busy) on the floor. See if you can do a mock up of that tile on only the back wall of the shower, with a very pale blue pulled from the stone (or as close as you can get) for the side walls (in equally large tile) and shower floor - if that can be found.

Pairing the vivid dark blue with white white would be a bit too much contrast, I think.

I love your vanity choice,

• L.D. Johnson
    last year

Not a pro - I personally find it too busy, but if you really love it, try loading the picture into their Visualizer tool and play with a darker floor, maybe small blue tile. The two tiles in the bottom center do have a different vibe; if you buy enough to pick and choose what tiles you use it might also help.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

That resembles BlueBahia Granite. (minus all of those golden tones)

how about something less 'in your face' ?

https://www.tilebar.com/lumina-caspian-onyx-24x48-polished-porcelain-tile.html

it's still very pretty, beautiful colors w/your vanity, just not as 'POW"! This line also comes in a few other colors, w/the same design

they have it under IvyHill tile at wayfair/HD. might be a bit cheaper on wayfair.

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/ivy-hill-tile-selene-24-x-24-porcelain-marble-look-wall-floor-tile-sost3711.html?&experiencetype=2&selectedvertical=5

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ivy-Hill-Tile-Jume-Onyx-Blue-23-62-in-x-47-24-in-Polished-Porcelain-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-15-49-sq-ft-Case-EXT3RD107036/31835500

see it in the shower w/a solid white pan and solid white ledge/bench

the 24X48 sizes are very nice

if you like the blue, they do make another porcelain tile that looks like a blue Calacatta marble. (Tilebar has this and so does wayfair and HD under the IVyHill line)

I Like this one because it comes ina 24x24 size (which I like better than a 12x24)

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/ivy-hill-tile-calacatta-indigo-24-in-x-24-in-porcelain-wall-floor-tile-sost4220.html?&experiencetype=2&selectedvertical=5

Customer shower photo w/the 24x24:

it does have other sizes and shapes as well,,

Pair it will a lot of white around your blue vanity, gold hardware, lights, and it might look very nice.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

It’s a lot of color, movement etc. I just looked at a house which had the Blue Bahia tile that Beth shows (or a very close dupe). It was in a secondary bath and it was overwhelming for me. Real stone or tile - still too much for me.

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much, everyone, for all your advice. I was worried about it being too overwhelming, especially because my bathroom is pretty small. Though I love the tile by itself, the more I looked at it, the more I worried it would eclipse all the other nice things I'm putting in the bathroom (navy blue vanity, beautiful gold hardware, glass shower door also with gold hardware). I think I will go with a less bold tile that looks much like the blue and white one Beth shared. Here is a new collage. I have a matte white octagon white dot tile that I like and plan to use on both the shower floor and bathroom floor with a gray grout. Do you think it will look fine with my other choices? I do want a matte floor tile to avoid slips.

Thanks again!

• susan49417
    last year

Not a fan of the floor tile....to me it looks "cheap" but love the rest of your choices.

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

Here's another photo of someone's bathroom with the floor tile I have in their shower and then on the bathroom floor too.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

what does your bathroom design actually look like? can you post a pic?

that white tile looks fine w/subway tile. it's a vintage, older looking design. doesn't really go w/the more modern tile you're choosing.

I think if you did a similar white tile that isn't so vintage looking like the octagon/dot? might be better.

Maybe this 2" hex? (floor nad decor has this) use mapei Warm Gray grout to get this look

just a simple hex tile, or even a penny round. don't worry about slips, anything under a 4" size will provide plenty of traction.

https://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php 1"

less grout means less to keep clean! these are a 4" micro bevel. plenty of traction inside and out. shown here. (but it also comes in a 2") I like this size

https://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php

Another option are the penny rounds. white or the blue.

skyblue pennies might be nice w/light gray

https://www.tileshop.com/products/penny-round-sky-blue-porcelain-mosaic-wall-and-floor-tile-669026

(or do this for both inside and out. I love this rimmed penny)

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/ivy-hill-tile-joy-rimmed-1-x-1-ceramic-penny-round-mosaic-tile-sost2029.html

they also carry the Makoto penny tiles in the 2"

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/bedrosians-makoto-2-x-2-ceramic-penny-round-tile-bedr4334.html

a nice size.

MSI Bianco 6mm penny tile in a matte finish

platinum is nice, but a warmer gray try mapei Warm Gray

The tile you listed also has a matching hex mosaic

what does your shower design look like? will it be something w/a sep tub like this?

or something like this layout?

• Iri
    last year

The floor tile is fine. Classic.

The first blue tile is interesting but the repeated tiles cheapen the feel and it's somewhat overwhelming.

The last blue "marble" is a good intensity but it looks ridiculous. It takes fake marble to a new level of fake. See if you can find something with blue that isn't so obviously phony.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

That large format tile is stunning,.........however, it will create a high-end bath. Does the rest of your home match that level? That should be a deciding factor.

• salonva
    last year

I am a big time blue lover so while I do like those together in your last mock up with the white/blue looking marble, I kind of agree that it's fake looking. color wise everything looks great but I think blue marble will look not credible.

The vanity and floor tile, and mirror and lights all look lovely.

And as I said I adore blue.

• elcieg
    last year

No, no, no. The tile is too dramatic. Think museum.

• latifolia
    last year

If you love blue ( I do), you might consider a blue vanity top, maybe one of the blue stones. Then do a white shower. It is much easier and cheaper to change a vanity top, whereas ripping out and redoing a shower is a big, expensive project.

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

The rest of the house does NOT look like this currently, but I am in the process of renovating the whole house. So I'll get to choose all the finishes (hooray!) as I go. The bathrooms are happening first because they are the least tolerable in their current state.

I think I'm looking for a transitional style. My last house was more on the modern end of mcm, but this house is totally different and I'm trying to adjust to the house a bit. I love gold and jewel tones, and I also love beautiful wood and vintage pieces. I'm still trying to find the right balance here and make thoughtful choices, as I plan to be here a very long time. :)

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

These are drawings of my bathroom layouts. We're doing the master bathroom first, and its layout will stay the same. In the hall bathroom, that middle wall is coming out, and we're relocating the tub to the back wall, with the toilet next to the vanity where the wall currently is. I was hoping to do the same tile choices in both bathrooms, just with the master bathroom (smaller of the two, actually) having a glass door and the hall bathroom having a tub. These are not large bathrooms.

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

Also using epoxy grout, so not as worried about scrubbing grout lines!

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

While I like the look of marble tile, I don't want its high maintenance and potential discoloration. So I think it needs to be porcelain...

• Iri
    last year

Did someone actually say that you shouldn't have a high end bathroom unless the rest of your home is? Wow.

It's actually okay to end up with something nicer than what you started with. The whole point of remodeling is to improve what you've got. Otherwise it would just be "repairing".

The perfect blue is out there. You will find it. (You might even be able to find Blue Bahia tiles--and they might be overwhelming too!)

• palimpsest
    last year

I don't think anybody said you should not have a bathroom with high quality materials or you should not upgrade your house to make it better than it was before. But in general it makes design sense that if you are going to use visually striking materials, that they be part of a whole picture, not something that just shows up in one place in the whole house. No body is stopping the OP from using what she likes, but she did ask, and she got opinions.

• ker9
    last year

I love epoxy grout but be aware that white may look yellowish.

• Jennifer K
    last year

That's an attention grabbing tile, so you need to be sure you'll love it as much next year as you do today.

Something else that you may wish to consider: since this is a reno, it's likely that your walls are not completely flat anymore. That will make it more challenging to lay large format tile easily. So the job will cost more than a doing it with a smaller tile (or worse, your tile guy won't be able to do the job up to your standards). I just used a 2'x4' tile to reno my shower. I love it, but it was a bear to install.

• Keen B
    last year

@Grace W I like the dramatic tile, but I also like the lighter final mockup you provided, as long as the rest of the room is calm. If any of your friends comes in your home and says with their mouths (or their body language) that it looks fake or too dramatic, etc.. find better friends, Lol. With that said, budget dictated we use a cheaper "marble" tile on one of our guest room shower's walls. (We were limited around a specific vanity.) Looked great in the showroom. Unfortunately, I was not on site when tile was delivered and installed. Every time I see it finished, the pattern reminds me of black worms. Thank Goodness for shower curtains.

You might want to check out Daltile's Keystone collection for the floor mosaic. They have blues that match the vanity and the lighter wall tile, and tans that match the darker wall tile. I might choose one of those for the whole floor. And check out Mapai's blue epoxy colors.

Keystone collection

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Grace, did you happen to see my last comment w/the floor tile options?

as for epoxy grout, Mapei has a urethane base grout that is much easier to apply, although, it still has rules to follow. (I used it in my shower. Flexcolor CQ) epoxy grout is way more difficult.

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for all the further info!

Beth, I liked your other floor tile suggestions, thank you! I should have mentioned that I was also considering doing a similar (but larger) octagon dot tile in the kitchen, and I am looking for ways to bring in some classic elements to mix with the modern ones. Maybe some strategically placed trim would help??

So I think I'll stick with the white octagon dot tile for the bathroom floors. I went to floor and decor yesterday and looked at the blue and white wall tile (from my last mock up) in person, though. I think it's very pretty! It didn't look tacky in person, at least not to me. :) So I picked some up!

My master bathroom is actually already in progress! My contractor gutted the whole thing and has already put in new drywall etc, so it should be level! Also, he did agree to the epoxy grout and said he'd done it before. Thank you for the tips on yellowing white epoxy grout. I had no idea! I decided to continue with the gray grout (which is going on the floor) instead. It should look fine. Tiles are going in tomorrow, I think!

I can update this thread with pictures of the bathroom once it's all done, 😁 so exciting! Thanks again!

• Rachel
    last year

I love blue and white and like your new choices! If it were me, I'd go with a traditional hex for the floor as Beth H suggested. Please post pictures so we can follow your progress.

• User
    last year

Tooooo much. No way.

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

Hi, everyone 👋 My bathroom juuuust got finished, and I wanted to share the before and after photos here. I just love how it turned out. 😁

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

Here are the before photos. It was really bad to start with...

• ilikefriday
    last year

I think you did a fantastic job!

• Lynn Lou
    last year

Looks great! We used the same tile for our shower walls and I love it. Enjoy your beautiful bathroom!

• loobab
    last year

Grace W-

Congratulations!

I see you have one of those fancy toilets that does everything but floss your tonsils.

Which one did you get and how are you liking it?

• Heather
    last year

I love how your bathroom turned out! I’m just coming to this bc I love that original tile lol

• salonva
    last year

Wow it looks great and I am sure you are super enjoying it.

(The original paint color of your before is what I am living with in my master. I've been trying to figure out what to do with mine).

Did the shower get expanded? It looks so much bigger.

Anyway- good job and enjoy it !

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Good job! Although I like the blue tile you originally posted IMO it really was too frantic. Showers should calming and defintely not nerve jangling. What you have wound up with is definitely calming.

• Poorgirl
    last year

Wow beautiful job, I love your shower tile.

• Rachel
    last year

I'm a girl who loves blue AND natural stone. But I agree with others that this would have been too much in a shower, especially an enclosed space when you are waking up in the morning! It is a gorgeous stone, and I hope you can find somewhere else in your home to use it, possible as a counter (horizontal vs vertical) or a smaller accent.

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

The bidet seat is actually one I already had from my last house and brought with me. It's one of the more basic model Toto washlets (C2 I think). My husband and I met in college when we were both studying abroad in Japan. Then we went back and taught English there together after we graduated. Toto washlets are everywhere there, and we got hooked on them haha. Our last bathroom did not have dedicated heat in the bathroom (just in the hall outside of it), and this thing has a heated seat that is super nice in cooler months! Only complication is that you need an outlet next to the toilet. We just put one in during this reno.

• Valinta
    last year

Consider other decor items you have had that are such a big impact - if you did not tire of then ever, go with this. But I would opt for a darker tile floor to pick up some of the deeper tones in the wall tile.

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

And to answer the other question, the bathroom was not expanded, but we gutted it and it does really feel like a bigger shower because we get the whole width of the walls there instead of the bulky fiberglass shower from before. And the new shower has no bench, which took up a lot of room in the last one. If I ever need something, I'll get a little folding thing or stool off Amazon to use shaving or whatever, but I really never used that old bench anyway. 

And good luck with your paint! The old pink painted over the 80's wallpaper was thanks to myself in middle school 😆 This is the house I grew up in! My husband and I just recently moved back here and bought it from my Dad. It needs so much work, but I love this house and my memories here. It's very satisfying to make it look new! And the new paint I picked (SW Pure White) is much better than the pink paint I picked many years ago. 😁

• HU-237051908
    last year

Grace, what is the name of the tile you used? I'm considering the Martinique Azul that has been referenced for my master shower with the coordinating hex for the floor. I love the way your shower turned out!

• Grace W
    Original Author
    last year

The tile on the shower walls is indeed the Martinique Azul 24x48 tile from floor and decor! The hex tile of the same name they have was the first thing I went to see there, but it looks TOO matte in person, almost papery.. it looks much better on the website than it does in person. Also the website has an error for the hex mosaic tile of that name. It says it is polished / high gloss, when it is in fact very very matte. In any case, I didn't care for the hex mosaic, but the large format of that style is what I used on my shower walls, and it's very pretty and definitely polished / high gloss, suitable for shower walls! :)

• dani_m08
    last year

Grace - your bathroom turned out very nice! It really did make a big difference losing the thicker acrylic shower + bench - shower looks much more spacious! Enjoy your new bathroom!

I don’t know if you’ve already moved forward with your other bathroom - if not, my only suggestion would be that you might not want to repeat that shower tile in the tub/shower surround. I think repeating it would make it feel less ”special” in the master bathroom.

If you want to repeat with a blue, I think it would look nice to use one of @Beth H. :’s ideas above - maybe like this one:

It would tie into the master bathroom re: color - but let the master shower be extra special. Also, if you have kids, in my experience, using a wood stained vanity holds up better than a painted one (especially if the vanity is made out of partical board vs. real wood). A real wood wall mount vanity (one that just floats off the floor - not a thin floating vanity - so it still has drawer space for storage) is actually much more affordable to have made than I would have thought (plywood frame + solid wood drawer fronts).

I had one made for my master bathroom - will be installed in a couple weeks. My master bathroom renovation has been a horrible experience requiring floors/shower tile to be ripped out and everything started over - I cannot wait for it to be finished!

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Very good advice from Dani^^^