SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_kiernan64

Penetrating or Topical Sealant for my Quartzite?

Hello! I'll start with a little back story. I took my husband to view some slabs of Fantasy Brown a couple days ago, after having viewed everything out there on my own over the last month. Quartzite was too pricey, but I didn't like the granites and figured FB would give me the look I wanted, knowing it is susceptible to staining, etching and so forth, but loving the price. I did extensive research on it and was prepared to buy it and have it professionally sealed, knowing I would have to be careful with it. Ww are empty nesters, so I felt confident it would be fine. Well, hubs wanted to check out the rest of the stocked inventory as he hadn't been with me during my tours of the various yards and distributors. I already knew this fabricator whose inventory we were viewing had the best prices and an outstanding reputation.
Wouldn't you know, after viewing all the inventory, hubs asked to see the quartzite. We saw this Val d'Orcia and stopped looking, both finally agreeing it ticked all the boxes. Colorful, linear movement, and shiny. (I wanted Leather FB, he wanted polished). So, as I had already priced exotic quartzites between $7500 - $11K for our mid size kitchen, I held my breath when my husband asked for the price. I almost fell over when our sales rep gave us a price that was LOWER than some of the FB quotes I had gotten! We immediately said SOLD!!
So now I am back to the drawing board, learning about sealing quartzite. After reading some discussions on here half the night, I kept seeing a theme of people very upset because their quartzite was staining, from water!! This made me consider paying my fabricator for the long lasting $400 sealant. But after doing my tests, I'm not so sure I need all that. Now, all the discussions I read where people had problems owned quartzite rhat was a pale color, without much variation.
I started with the glass test. Passed with flying colors. Then I tried scratching it with a knife. Impossible. Next I did the water test. Passed. Finally, I cut an orange slice and placed it on one area, and poured red wine on the light colored area. This morning I wiped it down and it is completely pristine, no stains, no etch.
My thought is to have the fabricator use their standard one year sealant, and request the faucet hole and sink edges be sealed. But honestly, I wonder if the sealant will really do anything as nothing got through this stone! It seems indestructible! I know I can buy my own penetrating sealant, but if they put a topical on, don't I have to strip that if I decide to put a penetrating one on next year? What should I do? Any and all advice welcome and appreciated.
For the record, the samples I have don't really show all the coloration of our slabs. They don't have much of the rust tones like the samole, but a lot of wine, cream, and a gorgeous green.

Comment (1)