SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emsmenagerie

Decorating Help - Empty, Awkward, Space by Window

emsmenagerie
last year

Hi there!

Any recommendations for what I can put in that empty space by the window? Or think it's fine empty?

I have two of those floral chairs. I tried them in front of the window with a little table between, but as you can see there's a chair in the entryway, so it seems like there is a line of a lot of seating! I also tried two square ottoman's but that didnt work either. Maybe a plant?

This community has been SO helpful! I really appreciate you all sharing your expertise!

Comments (55)

• tfitz1006
    last year

I agree, nothing by the window. I love that chair, do you have another space for it?

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@tfitz1006, thank you!

This is the only other place it might work. what do you think? I can’t decide if I like the florals together or it’s too much. The mustard chair is what is there now.

• Related Discussions

Help filling awkward empty space!

Q

Comments (5)
    I tend to agree. Open space is not only good too, but absolutely necessary sometimes. Try the pic above your sofa to the left of the door to the kitchen, if it fits. It will give that area a focal point. And then get a bigger pic for above the sofa and hang it lower.
    ...See More

Help me decorate all the awkward spaces

Q

Comments (2)
    So, my living room has this beautiful bay window but the front door opens right into the living room and at the other end it opens to the dining room which leaves me with two parallel walls. Help ! I feel like the way I have It set up now emphasizes how long and narrow it is. Btw, the tv has to be the center because that’s what i use the living room for. My bedroom sucks too. The layout is so basic. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    ...See More

Decorating room -empty spaces need help!!

Q

Comments (7)
    I would make a gorgeous, large rug the first priority. You need color in this room and the rug is the best place to begin, and you can then add pillows and accessories that harmonize. A glass and metal coffee table will allow the rug to show. Side tables (that are different from the coffee table, and they don't have to match each other) with lamps would be next. Great art that is personal to you on the walls.
    ...See More

Help! Not sure how to decorate this awkward wall space in kitchen

Q

Comments (1)
    You could continue the tile all the way up and around the window. Or a framed piece of art.
    ...See More
  • lisaam
    last year

I was thinking about putting that chair in the entry. It is so good with the mirror, floor and blue wall color.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@lisaam, thank you!

• tfitz1006
    last year

I think the floral is nice in the hallway. Could you fit the mustard chair in the LR? Love the color. Or could the floral go in a bedroom? It's a nice scale for a bedroom. If you keep the mustard chair in the foyer I'd look for a different rug or mat.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

My son is thrilled with the possibility of having the mustard chair in his room in his reading nook.

😆

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

May we see the whole room? I'm not sure the position of the sofas is the best layout for the room.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year
  • emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@emsmenagerie Though I agree with several suggestions already made, like pulling sofa away from draped window & maybe rethinking sofa position, your pics cause me to focus on your entry. I’m wondering why have that chair in the corner next to front door? Is is serving a necessary need in that spot? I see a plant on stand across from it - I think I’d move chair out of entry & place the plant in corner - or something like the plant - a single piece. Maybe even just a taller stool, no back. In LR, if you want seating in that corner, I think it should be set up as a comfy reading spot with lamp, chair, small table. If not, remove the floor lamp. Your thought of large plant is a good one - make use of light from window & add life to room. Last question - what does your pup think about all this? S/he seems very intrigued by all the activity of chair moving! 😊

• Shawna
    last year

Your dog is adorable. Also, how do you keep that grout in the foyer looking so good? Please tell me the secret.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8 - thank you! Maybe I should move it out? I like having something there to put shoes on, but maybe I should take it out? I’ll post a couple different angles. My pup is very unsure about all this 😆. We lost our other sweet puppy just yesterday & I think moving the chairs is putting him over the edge - he’s been staying VERY close to me today. @Shawna - thank you! I used to have a house with tile in EVERY room! 🥵 So I have an industrial floor scrubber that I love!

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I'd like to recommend these layouts for your room instead. One leaves the piano where it is and the other moves the piano to a central wall.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, @BeverlyFLADeziner - the opening to the dining room is directly across from the space where you placed the couch, so I'm not sure that configuration would work. Should I post another picture to show you?

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner & then I think the loveseat would be too far away from the wall?

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@emsmenagerie Please accept my really sincere condolences to you and your family for the loss of your family member, the sweet puppy. Your pup in the pictures is surely grieving too and the two cats as well so they’re all keeping an eye on you. This is a great project for you to tackle today to occupy your mind.

The chair in your foyer does serve a good purpose then - something to sit on while putting shoes on/off. So, it should stay. I like the lighter weight floral chair in that spot over the mustard fully upholstered chair & that keeps your son happy! I like both of @BeverlyFLADeziner furniture arrangements but understand your concern about the opening to dining room. But, the only way to find out is try it & see. Moving pieces sometimes sparks another idea. I’d wondered about placing sofa & loveseat facing each other - the loveseat with back to piano in current spot & sofa where loveseat on wall facing entry. The chair over where sofa is & angled away from cabinet. I’m not sure what actual spacing in room is though so not sure about spacing. I like the piano where it is - sort of separate in its own space.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You can always place a console table behind the loveseat if required, but it's OK if furnishings float away from the walls.

• jackowskib
    last year

If the chair isn't going to stay in front of the window (your original question), I would find a new place for it as well as the floor lamp. A nice tall plant in a pretty pot could look nice there.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner, thank you! Unless I’m misreading your layout, unfortunately it wont work. As you can see, the opening to the dining room is directly across from the space between the two windows & the long room creates an awkward, empty space behind the couches. You’re the layout Queen, so I would really appreciate your thoughts!

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner, thank you! Unless I’m misreading your layout, unfortunately it wont work. As you can see, the opening to the dining room is directly across from the space between the two windows & the long room creates an awkward, empty space behind the couches. You’re the layout Queen, so I would really appreciate your thoughts!

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@kw, thank you so much for your kind message & condolences regarding our dear pup. He was such a good, sweet boy & we are really mourning the loss.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner - would a picture from a different angle be helpful? I tried from above, but didn't think it showed much

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8 & @BeverlyFLADeziner, thank you so much for taking your time to help me! Should I put it back the way it was? Or any other suggestions? It's just such an odd space with the window & opening configurations.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@emsmenagerie I kind of like the layout you’re trying but with a couple tweaks. Swap the loveseat & sofa - I think the longer sofa needs that back wall instead of side wall. It would face the entry & piano instead of the dining room. And, move the sofa back closer to wall with only the front feet sitting on the rug. If that’s still too much space between sofa & back wall, move the whole thing back - rug & sofa - still keeping only front feet of sofa on rug. The loveseat seems better for space under 4 arts on wall between windows. And, with the sofa & maybe rug moved to back wall, the big chair can move towards wall with mirror & all or mostly all of it out of doorway. I like that moving all these pieces back opens more space between them & piano that I assume is in original spot. That 3 drawer nice chest - can it sit in front of the window next to where it was (and loveseat is now)? It’s okay I think that chest is taller than window. Flower print chair still in entry but looks better because the mustard color chair moved to son’s room, yes?

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8 if the loveseat is under the pictures, the couch is too far from the back wall, even with just the front feet on it. If i move it forward just a bit, it cuts off the space between the windows awkwardly 😩. I’m afraid the configuration with the awkward bare window in front is my best option - don’t you? Thanks again for taking your time to help me with my furniture dilemma!

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@emsmenagerie Yes, I see the challenge! Does the LS need to be that close to sofa? I was thinking placing it more centered on wall of art. Chair might work at that end of rug with back to entry & a table & lamp between chair & LS. But, I see the base register under the mirror so I guess the 3 drawer chest can’t sit there as would block. Too bad as perfect spot! Thanks for trying my idea out. Maybe Beverly has more ideas. Also, maybe trying to situate around both the rug & the walls is creating too many challenges. The rug is too long to turn sideways in the room, isn’t it?

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8, thank you! Unfortunately, if I center the LS, there’s not enough room for the chair with the back to the entryway, but the chair on an angle doesnt work with the couches moved forward, either 😩

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

I don’t know @emsmenagerie , I kind of like that arrangement with Pup in the middle - the seating arrangement I mean. I like the separation between ends of sofa & LS - gives some breathing room. Have to adjust table & lamp to one or the other though so may need another side table at entry end of LS. Maybe play with the angle of the chair & where it sits on that wall. Kitty likes the table where it is 😁 & pup wonders if his blanket needs to be moved to LS so it’s in original spot.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

Ha! Thank you, @KW PNW Z8! Now I promise I won't keep tagging (bugging :) ) you as I fiddle with the arrangement. Thank you for your help!

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

Hey - keep tagging! I love this. Keeps me entertained and out of trouble while it’s too chilly yet to be outside working in my yard - my passion!

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8! ❤️ Thank you! 😅 I dont know. This layout still feels a little awkward.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@emsmenagerie The chest looks great on the back wall! Think about pulling the lamp table forward at the sofa end by entry. Can you say what feels awkward to you? The in person feel is very different than seeing pictures only. The only awkwardness I feel is looking for a place to set my cup or glass - since you have end tables but no coffee table, the end tables should be reachable. Maybe a larger side table would work? It looks like the one at other end is wood & larger. Maybe let the arrangement sit overnight and let the family flow through the room to see if it’s just the change or if tweaks needed. Does the empty space by the window feel less empty now with this arrangement & having a bulkier piece - the sofa, table & lamp - next to window instead of the smaller chest that was there?

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8, maybe the awkwardness I feel is not being used to the arrangement. That's a good idea to let it sit overnight. Yes! It does feel a lot less empty and awkward in that corner. And I am definitely in the market for a coffee table. Do you have any suggestions? Maybe round marble with thinner gold base? Thank you!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You cannot use your existing rug if you simply want to place it parallel to the walls and get the furniture feet on the edge. That will not work.

I need for you to think "outside the box" and be a bit more 'artistic' in your furniture placement to get this to work.

Place your square rug on the diagonal so it takes over more of the room

Here is my new layout for your space. I've placed a 48" round table between the sofa and the loveseat.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner, thank you so much! I really appreciate you coming ip with creative solutions! I’m all

for being a bit more artistic - I prefer it. I dont think this will work. The chair there just doesnt work - its too close to the entryway opening. 😩 is there an arrangement you can see, thats lesser of the evils for the space? Thank you for taking your time & expertise to help me with the dilemma! I really appreciate it!!!

• lisalane
    last year

Hi emsmenagerie. I’ve been following along and have a thought for furniture placement. Would it work to have the couches facing each other - the longer sofa on the back wall (centered on the window back there) and the loveseat facing it with a big coffee table in between. You could put a sofa table behind the loveseat. Would be great for conversation. Only problem is the chair. Do you have another place in the house where it might work or could you swap it with a smaller chair from another room. Just an idea. This is a tough one…

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

I like Beverly’s suggested arrangement but understand what you said about chair in that position. I didn’t realize the rug is square! I wonder too, is it a problem to place 3 drawer chest under the big mirror? Is that a heat vent at floor level that shouldn’t be blocked or is it ok? @emsmenagerie - this may be a case when floorplan drawing with all measurements of walls with windows & doors marked as well as furniture sizes are needed to come up with what really works.

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@lisalane, thank you for your suggestions! Maybe so! I'm wondering if it would look strange with the two different sized couches across from one another?

@KW PNW Z8, yes! All of these look like they should work on paper but they just don't in-person. The rug is a rectangle. If I could scrap the furniture & start over, I would! But unfortunately, that's not an option - so "good enough" will have to do! Thank you for sticking with me throughout this furniture saga! :)

• nelliebean
    last year

Could the the couich and the loveseat sit across from each other and the chair tuck into the corner where the standing light is now? It could be pulled up when people are visiting.

• lisalane
    last year

Ems, I guess you never know until you try. And you’ve been amazing at trying every suggestion! I don’t think the two couches of different sizes would look strange across from each other. I think the room would open up without the large blue chair in the mix. The big couch could be pulled out a bit from the wall and the loveseat could extend a bit past the dining room opening. There would be breathing room around the big pieces. But, of course, you are the ultimate judge of how things feel - this idea could be a bust but would be fun to try!

emsmenagerie thanked lisalane
  • emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

Maybe I should start a new thread, but think this configuration is the best we’re going to get? and if so, should i try this bookshelf in the corner with the plant? It’s placed in a walk-thru but it still seems too small for this wall.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

That’s a nice Barrister bookcase & would balance with the 3 drawer chest on other side of window. Is there enough space in that corner with the table & lamp that’s sitting there? Maybe the table would need to swap with white top table & that might be a good move with the open space there at entry point to room. It would be pretty under the oval mirror. Looks like a big job to unload & move bookcase to try out so maybe cut cardboard or paper to size of footprint to get a feel for floor space first. Or, tape the size out on floor. Love the lamp on book case and really love the flock of sheep! On a side note - the white stools - is one of them too low to sit on for putting shoes on / off in place of chair in entry? They’re sure the right color and size for space…. Just what you need - someone else moving your furniture around! 😁

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you @KW PNW Z8! Great suggestions!! I really appreciate you helping me!

I've got to wrap this up. I'm driving my family (and myself) bonkers moving around the furniture. I'm between going back to how it was (furniture pushed all the way back & awkward, unbalanced, space in front) or how it is now - clunky arrangement & awkard space in back. Would really appreciate your thoughts and then I'll wrap it up....for now ;) Thank you, thank you!!!

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@emsmenagerie I vote for the current, new arrangement. I would look for something round to try as a coffee table for center. If you have something in your house to try, sit it there & create a real size needed mockup under it to decide on size. Looks like you found something else to use in that back corner that is close to height of 3 drawer chest. Looks good! Tell your family that a change of scenery inside the house is very good for everyone! 😊

• emsmenagerie
    Original Author
    last year

@KW PNW Z8, thank you for your help! This has been a good distraction for me & I came out with a better arranged room. I really appreciate youI! ❤️

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@emsmenagerie You created a great thread with your post and such a good sport for accepting suggestions and trying out. Each new day will be a bit easier for you and your family, furry members too.

emsmenagerie thanked KW PNW Z8
Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus