SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_789298092

Help narrow down replacement window choices

Thomas B
last year

I am completely overwhelmed with all the window options. After three years of putting off this major purchase, we need to replace at least all of the top six double hung windows on the front of our house. As I understand it, we'd be wise to replace all ten front windows at once due to rapidly increasing costs and to avoid the risk of not being able to find the same window down the road if we don't replace at the same time.
We currently have wooden Windsor double hung windows that are original to the house (built in 1995) and are in need of replacing on the upper level in particular, where the seals have degraded and they constantly have condensation on them, which leads to mold growth.
Project goals:
Balance cost with quality (looking for best bang for buck - performance, warranty, etc.)
Maximize sunlight (maintain or increase glass, if possible)
Save on heating and cooling
Improve interior/exterior aesthetic
We live in the Twin Cities (MN) and experience extreme temperatures. The most common windows installed up here seem to be Andersen, but from my reading it sounds like there may be better options out there. I'd like to have 2-3 window replacement manufacturer models to source quotes locally, but with the large number of manufacturers, models and installers out there, I'm hoping to save time by generating suggestions from homeowners or seasoned experts who know better than me.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Sincerely,
T

Comments (16)