SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnlou47

Pendants or recessed lights over island with 8' ceilings?

Lynn Lou
last year

We are meeting with our electrician this week to go over lighting for our kitchen remodel. I thought I had decided on recessed lighting (4" wafer ~3000k LED lights with slim baffle, 540 lumens ) over the island, but now that I've had a couple extra weeks to think about it (thanks to a collapsed sewer drain pipe in our basement) I'm now rethinking the recessed lights. We have 8' ceilings and the island is 45x80. I like the idea of pendant lights over the island as decorative lighting. I would still have recessed lights at edge of island if I do the pedants. Our current pendants over the island don't get used, so I imagine these won't get much use either. I defintely want something decorative in the kitchen though. I can't imagine a kitchen will only recessed lighting!

So I can either do two pendants over the island with a recessed light over the sink OR two decorative wall lights over the sink and recessed over the island.

If we do pendants over the island, do we need three recessed at edge of island counter? Or would two be sufficient? And if we only do recessed at the island, do we do two or three? And should they be centered on the island or at the edge of the counter??

Also do we need the two recessed lights on the left side of the plan that I have circled? We will have a TV above the cabinets there so we don't want to cause a glare, but I feel we need some kind of lighting there.

All lights will be on dimmers and switched separately. We will also have UCLs (3000k).

Here is our layout. Cabinets are being delivered next week, so no changes to the layout. I know we broke some rules, but the layout works for us.

I love this white pendant light, but not sure if it will work with our white cabinets and quartz that has a white/beige background and if it might be too much white.

A couple other pedants I am considering. I like these since they have rods instead of a cord so they will hang better.

Light fixture that I am considering for over the sink...either one or two?

It is ridiculous that I'm stressing so much about this. But here I am stressing out about it lol! My husband thinks this is too many recessed lights, but they will be on dimmers and switched separately. He doesn't get that the work areas need to be lit properly either.

Thanks for any input!

Comments (15)