SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rav9999

what to put next to the fireplace

rav9999
last year

Would love opinions on what to put on both sides of the fireplace.

Although I do love the idea of shelves I don’t have much to display.

Comments (98)

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

About patience

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

Thank you for your comment @rav9999

• Related Discussions

What did you put next to your wood-look tile?

Q

Comments (14)
    I haven't seen many wood tiles in person, however, I've read that it's important to buy a good quality tile if you want thin grout lines. Apparently, the cheaper ones tend to have more warping? I think I would choose a herringbone pattern in the bathroom to further discern it from the oak floor in the bedroom, in which case, wouldn't 24" be adequate? The Porcelanosa is beautiful but the price makes me reconsider my original plan of Ming Green marble.
    ...See More

What to put next to wood floors

Q

Comments (2)
    natural white oak or red oak? your contractor isn't in the flooring business so how would he know? were those great room floors engineered, solid, or stain on site? post a picture of them. as for the bedrooms, you can do diff flooring in there if you like. no more carpet?
    ...See More

What to put next to fireplace, under window!

Q

Comments (15)
    The additional pics are helpful. What is the switch on that wall? If not in use, I'd think of a larger piece of vertical art for the wall. Or perhaps I'd get matching curtains for the window. Functionally, you don't need anything in that spot so I wouldn't rush to find something. A plant in a nice planter could look nice. If you don't have a green thumb, look for something "sculptural" you find while treasure hunting. A child's antique or vintage chair? Maybe you have something in your home that could work. As for the coffee table, the current one looks to be a good size? If I found it too bulky visually, I'd consider glass or paint this one.
    ...See More

what to put next to fireplace

Q

Comments (2)
    I would want the two sides to be symmetrical. So I’d either do benches or built ins. And I’d move the piano. Maybe in front of the window. But post some more pics so we can see if there are more options. Very pretty room!
    ...See More
  • bonnie21014
    last year
    last modified: last year

This would look great i would move your sofa with back facing where u come into the room with L facing fireplace that way u can enjoy those beautiful windows and the out door views u have a modern flare open shelves like the picture would look great !!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

This all makes sense when explained! OP seems to have a great starting point and lots of help and ideas here. I hope they post back as they add to the room.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I like to think of decorating a home kind of like creating that perfect outfit.

So I never pick my color palette or style one room at a time, and unlike most people I don't start with neutrals.

Sadly, I do have to start with the things that must stay. Most of us can't gut our homes and start from scratch, so we have to consider the things that we can't afford to change. Flooring, furniture, kitchen cabinets or countertops . . .)

The second thing I consider is the colors that you love and the things that you love. The art and décor items that are personal and make your heart sing.

Now comes the challenge of fitting those pieces together to create a space that is cohesive, interesting and reflects your personality.

Is your lifestyle akin to a formal black tie affair or a back yard BBQ, a casual movie night with pizza and popcorn, a wine and cheese tasting or having a friend come over and help plant annuals in your front garden?

What does your space say about who you are?

Here are some other spaces with and without color.

I would not add built ins next to your fireplace, you need something with a bit of interest and personality.

A pair of small dressers like Beverly showed above with some great art or a couple of tables with poofs underneath to provide additional seating and some needed color will be so much more interesting than built ins that match the kitchen.

If you really are completely adverse to color (some people are) then add texture.

(If you are not completely adverse to color add texture and color.)

I couldn't live without color, but even a color lover like me can picture myself sitting comfortably in this room and feeling at home.

To make your space personal we really need to know who you are or you need to provide some information that isn't completely generic.

Do you own any art that speaks to you? Do you have hobbies or interests that could help in finding ways to make the space personal? Do you have an outfit that makes you feel like a 10 when you put it on? Are there colors that make your heart sing?

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Jennifer. I am not completely opposed to color but I like color through plants, accessories, wood furniture (is that considered color??). I like all the main pieces to be neutral.

No art and nothing to really showcase. We are quite minimal and like things for function rather than just there to look pretty (most of the time anyway).

Our sunroom has tones of sage in it which I looove. Also love blues. Other than that I’m a white black gray gal :)

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Oh one thing I just thought of. We live to play board games as a family. So maybe the bunching tables wouldn’t make sense as we would want one large surface.

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

This is kinda fun :) thank you all for your help. Will definitely share pics once I’m done (whenever that will be).

(Everything on the left would be kitchen- love the gold hardware but def think the black works better overall)

• Mary Beth Lang
    last year

I love art that is special to me. Some from my home town, a few of my favorite 1930's singers, etc. They have to speak to me and call me. I'm sitting on a 'massive' John Lurie print righr now that will practically fill one wall. The framing and glass costs will kill me, I'm sure, but it will be done. And I just purchased a print called "Pulp Street" because it cracked me up. It's a take on Seseme Street and Pulp Fiction. Art has to be personal for me, and I don't hang a single thing until the rest of the house is how I like it. Might be a year or two, but I always wait.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

"one thing I just thought of. We live to play board games as a family. So maybe the bunching tables wouldn’t make sense as we would want one large surface."

Well........That's where you use a dining table. Because the chaise sectional is your boss here. Not me. Not the room. It's the sectional. OOpsie. Next time. Or when the sectional is trashed, you don't buy another one. Card tables fold and stow away. Or the sun room? But there's not enough room for a game board, drinks, popcorn. you . kids. in that family room seating configuration. Wish it were not so.

This is exactly how you help yourself develop your own plan..... "how do we want to use the space and for what?"

"We are quite minimal and like things for function rather than just there to look pretty"

Minimal, functional and pretty can all coexist. You believe that, or you'd not be here....right?

But one decision begets another.

A Roomba is convenient - not pretty

A dog bed can be big, clean matched to decor and comfy

And on it goes. .....: ) Closed chests/cabinets for storage ( board games etc ) at the fire, versus open consoles. ....still pretty, more function.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

We occasionally try and play board games at our coffee table but we pretty much always move to dining table as the height is much more comfortable.

• Kelly Jones
    last year

I would not do built ins which would cover up part of your beautiful stone fireplace.

What do you think of using a peel-n-stick wallpaper then putting in matching small chests, tables, ottomans, or chairs that would allow plenty of room on either side?

Installing the wallpaper would probably look best if done at least on backs and sides, if not the ceiling of the insets too... but it was too hard for me to do in a mockup... although darker paint would also work.

• Kelly Jones
    last year

Just painting them in a darker color then adding coordinated art and a beefier mantel would be a huge improvement.

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

I dont mind the idea of painting them a darker color, matching the color we paint the island.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Call this the "real price" of sectionals. Or the lack of versatility...... and how the insistence on a corner, and a chaise?? Can hang you up. Makes me think of that head slap V8 commercial.

In general · More Info

they do board games too.... two identical cocktail tables butted together. Big... 56 x 54 inches: )

Second tip....... finish a space, don't jump all over the house. It diminishes result, as it diminishes dollars.... and your big bang thrill ??? Rather lost.

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Agree. Kitchen is first. but i wanted a mood board created so i was being cohesive in my decisions.

I do love my sectional and it works for our family. But if i had thought about all this before i would have done without the chaise. You live and you learn.

• Kathy Labriola
    last year

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

I think the sectional probably works for your family daily. And your guests probably don’t mind it either. Sectionals get a lot of hate on this forum but the reality is most of the time it’s just one’s own family in the space and j would bet yours likes lounging and spreading out. We have a sectional with chaise on one end only and then two chairs. Our family of five adores the set up for nightly movies and our comfort. When we entertain it’s not an issue either in all honesty. People seem entirely content. You can also add floor cushions or poofs or a stool/bench elsewhere. I keep wanting to get a bench we can pull over as needed but haven’t found one I really love. When I see your sectional I see the start of comfort and a great room!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Yes. Some love sectionals with chaises. But they are not for playing board games. No place to put a table.

What do you think of removing the chaise? I don't know if the arm is modular, but even if not, the chaise could still be removed.

I would then pull it out and toward the fireplace.

It might be able to be used angled by the fireplace. I believe the resulting sectional would be 96" square. I am going to guess your internal available space would then be 50" approx.

That would allow for a max 30" diameter table.

Sorry, these sectionals job gobble up space.

Would this work for you better?

• Kelly Jones
    last year

Here you go:

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

@cdr design. I did consider replacing the chaise with an end piece but don’t really want the extra expense. And not sure I like the idea of moving the chaise. All good. I don’t mind the small round table.

Thank you @kelly. Those look great and def detracts attention from the obnoxious tv

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Okay. Thanks. I did not not know that the desire for a chaise trumped the desire for a game table.

One other idea concerning the tv.....you can add art to your tv via a usb drive or one of the apps on the tv. Depends on the tv. There are also ways to add a minimal frame to a tv that looks like "The Frame TV".

These can be googled. So, while not in use, your tv is a piece of art.

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Great idea on the framing of the tv. Will def look into it.

Also taking your advice on not doing 2 different colors in the kitchen. Our wall/trim and ceiling color is all chantilly lace. Not sure if I should carry that through to the cabinets.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

We live to play board games as a family, so I would want......."

There is a reason any designers job can also be aligned with other jobs: )

For those who love the "chaise concept" in ANY sectional? Don't do it. Buy a sectional with an ottoman option/ match. Tuck it at the end....presto, it's a chaise. Or it isn't whenever you desire. Just do not be sucked into the permanence and loss of versatility.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

I would paint the cabinets Chantilly Lace. White Dove is just enough of a different color to look like the cabinets are yellow. Not a good look.

What are you planning for the backsplash? You can also add in some wood with all the white. Shelves. "Beams" across the kitchen ceiling.

Another idea: wood cabinets in the tone of the floor. Both timeless.

Having a black island is trendy and the placement of the island? It is going to be very dominant.

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

I was going to wait till after the cabinets were done to get backsplash. But I have taken a look around and do love a simple subway tile. We are not changing the counter tops, so I don’t think a white would go so maybe a a subway tile combo of white and grays just to tie in the cabinets and counter tops.

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

I’m open to any other color in the kitchen also. Just want something light.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I'll digress here. You had another thread. "Hate the sofa fabric, wish it was gray........" I suggested you limit the tread to ONE.

I think you could very much benefit from an interior designer, local to you. Someone to help you prioritize, get the look you want, and the function and comfort. Within time frames and budget and all else.

Nothing wrong with Houzz as a sounding board, simple solutions, even some that are complex. However....those prone to mind changes, those who really are never certain? Need a confident leader they trust. Whatever you pay can save you stress, maximize resources and your results. The last thing you need is a community of a thousand "answers"

Nobody is great at everything, and there is NO sin in that fact.

rav9999 thanked JAN MOYER
  • rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

good point. thanks

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I only have a couple of minutes before my next meeting, but wanted to share a thought or two with you.

1. You mention that you don't like a lot of color, are a minimalist, but the colors you like are cooler, sage green, blues. Chantilly lace works beautifully with blues and blue greens. White dove is a bit muddy for blues and greens and grays, looks good with greige (green undertone, between gray and beige.) Does not work well with Chantilly Lace.

2. Nothing wrong with being a minimalist, but I suggest you make every item count. Fewer, larger, more interesting pieces.

Have some ideas on the gaming solution, but will have to come back later to share.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I see a couple of challenges in fulfilling the gaming purpose. Sofa seating for playing board games isn't as comfortable as sitting upright and you need 4 sides and your island seating doesn't fulfill that need.

But a table like this could fit either along the window wall after your sofa, or along side the chaise or in one of the spaces beside the fireplace or behind the sofa if you pulled the sofa out as Jan demonstrated in her floor plan.

In addition to a gaming table it will also provide extra seating if you ever have more people than dining seats.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1335056206/mid-century-modern-space-saver?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=dropleaf+table+with+chairs&ref=sr_gallery-1-17&organic_search_click=1

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Jennifer.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Just curious.......there's no dining capability in the house? Breakfast spot? Dining room? Is the sun room four season, three etc?

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

There is a dining space next to the kitchen, in front of the sunroom.

Sunroom is 3 season.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

There ya go.....not everything must take place in one room: )

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

There are many in your boat: you have a lot of great ideas, but just aren't sure how to pull it all together.

If you decide to work with a designer, there are many options: local, just hire someone by the hour as needed (not always the best route, but if you are very limited on $).

There will be an objection from someone on here likely, but kitchens can and are designed successfully virtually. I have done quite a few kitchens, baths, laundry rooms virtually. It depends on the client's needs and their willingness to take photos, measurements.

Local and virtual designers all work differently. For example, I provide a 3d renderings that , of course can shoe various changes for you. i work on a user-friendly, secure platform and we take logical steps that help you make decisions and get off the " I just can't decide" wagon.

As mentioned before, the first step is to really hone in on what your vision is. Yes, you have a general idea, but you really have still not totally defined it.

Designers' personalities, approach and prices vary widely, so if you go that route, make sure it it someone with whom you are comfortable.

MORE IDEAS

You may have a very valid reason to remove the stone. But, it looks like the stone on the fireplace was painted? Why not just paint the island stone and it would tie in nicely with fp?

You don't need any black in the backsplash. You can add black accents

Ignore the shiplap and cutesy decor. You can add a backsplash that is white, with a hex pattern. Timeless, but adds interest. Grout is slightly grey. I think a white subway is fine also. YOu can always add black accents.

Look how the chairs, black (you have some black in your current chairs) along with the pendants are the stars here. No need to paint the island black. This backsplash is too busy for your granite and you don't need black in the blackspash.

This one has a ton of texture with the chairs. The pendants are unique. A touch of black ion the shelves. I know you want shelves.

So, I recommend adding any photo you like to your ideabook and typing under it any given feature you love about it.

A good designer will be able to pull those ideas together.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You're getting very good advice up there ........

I have a little joke among friends and clients, and PLEASE do not take this as criticism of you, or anyone else. It's not a joke, really. It's sort of a....call it accidental fact. For plus thirty years, I can go back in my own head and know that clients have consistently been in an age swing from my own age of no more than 15 years +/-.

In my EVER advancing old age ( lol ) I SHY FROM those who may be a lot younger, (or near death, but that's different ). Why? It's this, in a nutshell. Far more than me, their lives are internet driven. More impulse driven too. That's just fact! In the nineties, the internet was still infancy compared with the images and explosion of goods available with a click! Me? I teethed on shelter magazines! Catalogue images. Coveted...collected PILES of them. How is this all relative, age, experience etc?

CDR is catching your style drift, and advising you ways to get EXACTLY what you want, only better. From experience, from education, from....whatever and no we're not friends : ) We're both doing that.

What you "want" is a result of isolated images seen.........internet, Pinterest, Instagram, catalogues at your door.

Is there anything wrong with that? No. But design of anything doesn't live in isolation, it lives in your home, with YOU, and your family. it isn't a picture moment in time, it is all the time.

My guess is if either one of us had been helping you? You certainly might have a sectional........but it wouldn't have the chaise. You may have said ''But I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE it!." And that's where the very good experience of real help begins.........

We've already seen more mistakes than quadruple the years you've lived. I'd bet on it : )

Pro help is to get what you longed for, better than you ever imagined. That is the point, and the only point, really. Listen, talk, listen .......dialogue.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Yes, and I read something a few years ago that hit me: the modern opportunity as well as curse is "too many choices". We once lived in a time where we would become whatever our parents were: we would live in their town, assume their occupation, religion, etc. Confining to some. Stress-free to others.

Today, we can live the life a life not bound by geography, religion, career, and oh yes, design of our homes.

Result: freedom for some and stress for many: a cacophony of pinterest boards, ideabooks, bookmarks of endless vendor websites. It is dizzying.

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the detailed thoughts above.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Dizzying. True that. Blessing/curse? That too. Far more a curse until you've really lived, been in ( lived in ) several homes, know "exactly" what you want from tastes that are honed over years. .....

You just can't hurry time.

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Just an update. There were multiple issues with the sectional (including sharp edges on the bottom wood piece) and so we had to return it.

Back to square one which honestly is quite exciting!

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Wanted people's thoughts on this layout. ignore most of the colors...playing around with layout for now

1. I know there was a lot of talk about sofas vs sectional/chaise. but when I thought about what part of the previous couch, we used the most it was the corner and the chaise - so i don't want to take that away (will look into the ottoman option though). I tried to offset that with some chairs that guests would feel comfortable on.

2. I know I need more lighting.

3. Would you go longer on the couch? the one in the drawing is 123" and there is a 146" option. and then remove one chair?

4. It's it too much in one room?

(The 16' is from the wall to the start of the hearth)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

The best way to draw a floor plan is to include all the walkways.....the entire room and it must be to scale and include windows/doors.

The distance between your sofa and coffee table is about 10 inches. Not enough.

Also, the second brown chair and the white feel left out of the arrangement.

First, decide how many seat you need and how often you need them. Is it just occaisionally you have guests? Then, perhaps a couple of chairs could be broght in from the diing room.

If you want a chaise with removable ottoman, I'd choose a large round coffee table.

rav9999 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks @CDR Design, LLC! we need at least 3 comfy seats. i love the corner seat and my husband goes back and forth between a corner and the middle (to be directly Infront of the tv).

smart idea for bringing a chair over but i like the idea of having one chair.

Here is the next iteration. The leather chair will be the engles chair from arhaus.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Following

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Hi. If you want to create a floor plan correctly, you need to include adjacent features, such as the island, any tables or lamps and all needs to be to scale.

I would ditch the slipper chair in favor of a huge coffee table.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Forgive me?

It's the same room it was two weeks ago. You're struggling, because you can't prioritize the MOST important thing. You have one logical wall in the house for the tv. That is due to all the windows and kitchen and island.

Until you get past the chaise, you will be stuck.

If you must? Have a big custom cocktail ottoman made. BIG. Put casters beneath it. Slide it around. But there is no way to chaise, corner, cocktail all in the space attractively or usefully.

Nothing changed in two weeks, right?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

I believe you said you returned the sectional that created the U shape? If so a lot did change. We have a sectional with ottoman attached. Then two extra chairs. Also a very large coffee table. Excuse the mess but you can see how we’ve fit it in.

• rav9999
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks @westcoast hopeful! Helps seeing it.

Also looove your floor mirror setup!!!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

We also have a dog and she has her humongous bed in a corner.