SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_523724311

How to Air Seal Existing Shiplap Ceiling?

Dan Mn
last year

Hello all - I have been researching this issue but have not found a solution that seems on point.

I have an existing shiplap ceiling with gaps between the wood panels. Above the shiplap is a layer of old insulation and then open attic. There is no drywall and it seems the installation is original from the 1970s. It seems to me that I am losing a tremendous amount of heated/cooled (depending on season) air through the gaps.

How can I air seal the ceiling? I contemplated various options such as using a vapor barrier (plastic sheeting, bubble insulation, or foam board) installed either under the attic insulation batting (between the ceiling joists) or over the ceiling joists (with the insulation batting between the shiplap and the vapor barrier), and/or caulking between each shiplap panel. However, I believe some of these ideas are not optimal and/or some may even trap moisture behind the shiplap.

Looking forward to feedback from you experienced insulation and air-sealing folks, and I’m happy to provide more info.

Comments (6)