SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Entry way help

gtdj519
last year

Hi

we are doing some renovations and want ro make our entry way nicer. We dont have a big formal entry hall to do a lot with, so we are limited. I typically have a white hall tree in the space next to the closet. its not there due to our floors being refinished, but will be put back.. We will be painting. We have always felt the entry is lackluster./ unimpressive unimpressive.

I was thinking of applying peel and stick wallpaper to the entry walls, and getting a new lighting fixtiure, ; somehting more of a statement piece, and a new runner rug. With limited space or ability to do much with decor, I thought these things may help. My outside front door is painted light blue, and I have blue/ gray gray/ beige beige/ white colors in my home. The hallway/ LR is under reno and being repainted, so it will nit be the colors you see. What do you think of these wallpapers and light fixtures? Are they too much? im open to all suggestions!!

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

First an entry light needs to light the entry not the ceiling. There is no place for the hall tree at all. You have a coat closet use it Yes you could wallpaper but IMO paint the door a color to work with the oter colors inside and a nice mat on the floor and be done.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Patricia, the hall tree has been there and fits perfectly. With teens running in and out to activities, its helpful to quickly hang jackets, backpacks, shoes etc, as opposed to them laying on the floor because they are in a rush and dont want to bother to use the closet. Its an easy drop station, which keeps things organized and works for us right now .

My front door is light blue, which matches the color of the interior I mentioned ( light blue, light gray, white white, cream)

My quesrion and point was that we have had it just painted and with a floor mat ( rug) and it feels pathtic and underwhelming. Id like to make it a bit nicer looking. Your suggestion of just paint and a rug is what we have done in the past and want to try to spruce it up a bit.

• Related Discussions

entry way help?

Q

Comments (3)
    what size? ideas? without even seeing what you're talking about? Can't answer that. have you looked at pictures of foyers, or front entries to get ideas?
    ...See More

Need help with a small entry way. Need help with small entry way

Q

Comments (7)
    I don't mind the table and mirror and can't really think of anything besides art that would fit on that wall. Can't see the table details well but could it be painted? How about red to match your lovely door? What would say "fresh and cozy" to you for that space? Have you thought of a new light fixture? A runner and a larger rug in the entrance could look good. I don't find the clock visible from the door to be welcoming so I'd be tempted to remove it.
    ...See More

living room/entry way help!

Q

Comments (2)
    Goodness, that fixture was meant to hang over an island, not an entry way. I cant really tell much from that photo but it looks like that might be the entry from the garage on the right and the front door on the left with the transom window? effectively and not your fault that is horrible outlet placement. I would put a recessed can there, or move the electrical to a better location. it would actually serve the best to put one light by the garage or closet door and one over the front door. or for basic needs a flush mount fixture that very non-descriptive. I suppose you could put a double headed directional light to shine to the dark corner and over to the entry. You could potentially swag a light over to the door but it would be quite a ways . The fireplace looks portable is that true?
    ...See More

entry way help needed

Q

Comments (4)
    Make sure bench id high ebough and deep enough that an adult would be comfortable siiting on to change shoes, boots, etc. Hools to the side of the bench so a hanging coat or jacket would not interfere with seated area. Older visitors may also do better with a bench that has arms to assist with transferring to and from a seated position.
    ...See More
  • L.D. Johnson
    last year

Not a pro here - but I wonder if you could remove the door from the hall closet and redo the interior with hooks and cubbies? Search "small entries" or "mudrooms" here on Houzz for ideas. A fun paint or paper might liven that space and it might be easier to use with no door in a tight space. Then the space where you have used the hall tree might have room for a chair or small bench and art or a mirror?

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

thank you for the suggestions LD

i did something similar to

what you you are describing in my daughters nursery when she was a baby. It worked out nicely. I would like to keep the closet as is with the door though, as we do use it for storage of jackets, winter coats, boots, shoes etc. I wouldn’t want to look at that stuff LOL.

it is a nice idea though if we had an alternative to put the things that sre currently in thete. Just wondering if any if the light fixtures i found or wallpapers would look nice / could work etc I thought a statement light may be nice, but not sure if thise are too much of a statment Rug suggesrions to go with them , other light / paper suggesrions.

• housegal200
    last year
    last modified: last year

Several thoughts:

--Your lamp choices are all wonderful. Measure diameter and the drop carefully for clearance and proportion.

--Remove closet door, wallpaper inside and add hooks and a bench to drop backpacks with room underneath for shoes. Something like this inside closet + wallpaper.

--Paint interior of front door instead of wallpaper.

My Houzz: Blood, sweat and tears into a vintage eco friend Austin home · More Info

--Add a flat indoor outdoor small square patterned rug in front of front door. This will be both attractive and functional.

--Add a floating shelf on the right and round mirror over it to catch light from door windows.

Fort Greene Condo · More Info

gtdj519 thanked housegal200
  • Olychick
    last year

Does the tree go in the space to the right of the stairs? Looks like there is plenty of room for it there so I don’t know why Patricia would say there is no room? I think any of your light choices would work.

Your space is already so nice, but it sounds like you’re bored with it? Would you be up for painting the hall tree a bolder color? You could wallpaper the area right inside the front door with something you love.

I would hang a great piece of art on the wall on the left at the bottom of the stairs. To the right of the doorway there.

If you’re brave, you could do something fun with your risers.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks olychick

yes, the hall tree goes in the space to the right of the stairs. Had it there for 2 years now and its a perfect fit.

im not so much bored with the space, but just feel like it mever felt nicely appointed or welcoming as an entrance.. Always just had the walls painted, a common/ typical light. Sort of an unremarkable space if you will. Its the first thing guests walk into, so i would just like it to look a little more put together i guess.

I like the possini flower light , but wasn’t sure if it was too over the top.

Yes, if i did wallpaper, I was going to do it exactly as you suggested. Thats a good idea about art to the left of the stairs . I never really thought about it , but that would be a nice idea to put something there. Thanks for that suggesrion! nice idea

• housegal200
    last year

Small square indoor outdoor rug in entry. Round rug in middle space. Paint inside of door warm yellow.

Nourison Caribbean Floral Navy 4' x ROUND Indoor Outdoor Area Rug · More Info

Portmany Neutral Diamond Trellis Indoor/Outdoor Navy 5' Square Area Rug · More Info

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks housegal200.

I dont have 5 feet width in entry, so i have to get a smaller rug. Thats always been an issue too with eugs; finding right color/ size size. Its an akward entry soace

do you think a really long runner from the door to the where the steps end would look food? say 8 or 9 foot runner ?

thank you formthe idea of painting inside of door. Thats an idea to think about. But I dont have yellow decor. Light blue, light gray, cream cream, white. But I get what you”re saying. yes yes, I will be sure to measure lights. Do you all think that if I did the flower light, a ceiling one in the uostiars hallway to match is good? They have a flish mount version of the hanging flowerr light. I have a hallway light I will be replacing , along with

entry light Right now, they are both the same lights and wondering if I should do them the same as well Here is the flush mount version Thank you for those ideas!!

• Kelly Jones
    last year

The wallpaper is nice but I think you may tire of it quicker than a more neutral one (I would). Have you looked into grasscloth in a white or very light blue? This isn't grasscloth but it's in line with a more neutral. A nice rug & wall art that was mentioned would work with a more textured background better IMO.

What do you think of something like this?

And a light something like this... I quickly found this, but something silver might look even better:

I really like this one:

Or this one:

gtdj519 thanked Kelly Jones
  • Jilly
    last year

gtdj, I really like your lighting choices.

A couple of questions — what is the length and width of the area just inside the front door? What is the length from the front door to the staircase?

What are the new paint colors going to be in the hallway and living area?

Does the hardware on the front door and closet door match?

What is your decor style throughout the house?

I think you’re headed in a very good direction with your wallpaper and light choices. Yes to a runner and hanging art in the areas, too, as well as a plant(s) for something organic. You’re tired of boring, so yes, get creative.

I thought of this rug when I saw your entry, but it would depend on other factors. It might be too warm-toned, although it’s fine to mix grays and tans, and this rug has gray in the design.

https://incrediblerugsanddecor.com/products/karastan-euphoria-monaghan-sand-stone-area-rug

• Kelly Jones
    last year

What about something like this with the 1st light I showed then possibly changing your door hardware to brass?

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

thanks Kelly Jones

yes, i did look at grasscloth and they are nice too i am actually using some to paper the back of a kitchen cabinet. that tonal one you posted is pretty too. thank you for posting those nice ideas

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you jilly

the width at the front door is 44 inches wide. its tight

the length from front door to the steps is 10 feet long

the handles are silver.

hallway wall color im thinking white diamond BM and all crown molding/ trim in the house is chantilly lace

LR color will be a some shade of very light grey/or blue gray…. havent narrowed it down yet, but definately that color direction ( few ideas are blue lace, intense white, blue veil, classic gray …)

sofas are light grey with pillows in ivory and light blue.

window treatments ivory.

I have silver hardware through house.

cool color pallete ( light blue, light gray, with ivory)

• Jilly
    last year

All of that sounds so nice. I think your choices would work well and give you an entry that makes you smile, without being contrasting with other rooms. Everything would flow well.

You have great taste and style instincts. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

gtdj519 thanked Jilly
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your input and kind words jilly.

• housegal200
    last year

The light you showed would look great in the central space.. Relocate the other very nice one in a different hallway. Maybe you can put a 3' x 5' little rug in the immediate entryway and round rug in the middle of the space below the new light fixture. Paint the door whatever color you want--could even be the same as outside paint color if that harmonizes with a new rug. You don't need to wallpaper if you get the right rugs and light.

gtdj519 thanked housegal200
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you housegal200. I will keep all of of those great suggesrions!

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Since the fixtures I am considering are statement type fixitures, I am wondering if I choose one of the hanging fixtures for the entry, should I get the matching light for the upstairs hallway or should I not match it and do a simple/ plain one that just coordinates, but not exactly match ? They are visible to each other. Some of the hanging fixtures have matching flush/ semi flush fixtures, and some do not. If I choose one that doesn’t have a matching fixture, , then I would just get a semi/ flush that coordinates, but not exactly match. The current lights match each other,, but they are basic fixtures, not statement type. I just dont want it to look overwhelming or too much and I am not sure if marching them would be overkill. here are pics to show how they are visible to each other taken from upstairs hallway.. Also some examples of the foxtures that have matching flush mounts

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Hi

wanted to update …. I ended up going in another direction with lights. .i ordered the flower fixtures, but was disappointed the material was plastic. I really wish it was glass or even metal.

Im returning it

I went to local lighting store today and ended up purchasing these 2 fixtures . The cloche style one will go in the entry way and the 3 globe style one will go in the upstairs hallway off the entryway. Im going to use round frosted bulbs to give it an inner opage with clear outer glass effect. I saw it in the store and I thought it looked pretty with the round white bulbs mixed with clear glass. they are polished nickel finish. they look prettier in person . Pics are a bit lackluster.

I will now focus on a rug,, wallpaper and art . Thank you all for your great suggestions . It helped !

• Jilly
    last year

I think those will look nice, thank you for updating!

gtdj519 thanked Jilly
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

thanks Jilly I hope so 😬

very different from my original thoughts of doing as all white/ statement type fixture. I just hope they look nice and better than what I have.

Hoping the lighting store employee didnt put me in the wrong direcrion. I feel like I never know if they are making good suggestions based on ypur space and style, or if they are just selling whatever they feel like suggesting that day . LOL

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thats awesome and so good to hear. It makes sense that one would want to ensure the customer loves their item and not rerurn it. She did seem like she was doing her best, but when its so different from what you pictured in your head, you hope ypu chose correctly. I also look at it that others may see a better option or idea that I didnt consider. I‘’m always open to that and value orhers opinions and perspecrives. Thats why I love houzz….some great and helpful people sharing ideas I learn a lot.

• Jilly
    last year

Well said! I agree that it can be helpful to have lots of different eyes and perspectives seeing things.

I hope you love your lights. :)

gtdj519 thanked Jilly
  • justcallmepool
    last year

I like the idea of wallpaper but what if you put it on the ceiling instead of the walls? It looks like your ceiling in that entry area has boundaries around that don't lead into another room. Whereas the walls seem to me to not have a clear end point. This would also help people see your lights as well.

Then I think I would paint the hall tree a secondary color that is found in whatever wallpaper or rugs you find. Or a lighter/darker shade if you only have 1-2 colors in those items.

gtdj519 thanked justcallmepool
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Interesting siggestion about the ceilong justcallmepool! I am going to consider that idea. thank you!

i really like the colors on the starburst wallpaper I posted . I also like the design of it. It is eyecarchingeye catching,

, but not overwhelming. I unrolled some to see how it looked.. Im

also open to orher designs, but I only have this one and dsndelion one physicslly with me to see hownthey look in my home

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

I was thinking of the ceiling idea , and i also found this wallpaper that I think would look beautiful if I did just the ceiling. It is also a starburst pattern, but called greysmoke and soft metallic gold.

I think it would look really elegant in metallic with the lighting fixture being polished nickel . I am going to order a roll and see how it looks in person.

• la_la Girl
    last year

ooooh I think that paper would look terrific on the ceiling - a lovely and unexpected detail that doesn't impede on the function of the space! I wonder if you could color copy a few samples and tape them up and see what you think?

FWIW I love the lights you ended up with over the flower style - I think they are prettier and more classic, which seems to suit your style

• ffpalms
    last year

I find this floral wallpaper very soft and appealing. This chandelier might coordinate very well with the flower shapes.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you very mich la la girl. I too think these fixitre blend better with what I have existing in the home. I think I was concentrating more on just the entry in isolation , trying hard to make it more impressive looking than what it has been, and I lost sight of the rest of the house; which does matter.. It makes sense ro me now once I got home and considered all the other elements. I think these choices will yield a better result.

i ordered 2 different starburst wallpapers in addition to the one I have here and will

see which one looks the best. im not a techie, but ill try to do the color copy LOL

So appreciative of everyones suggestions.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

another question…

I have this mirror I need to relocate. should i place it on the wall to the left of the entry door? im not sure if ir would look appropriate there and also it will be refelcting the closet door all inhabe there now is a small picture frame . any thoughtts about this idea?

• justcallmepool
    last year

Many years ago when I was trying to choose a rug, and only had two online images to view and a blank slate in my home, I printed the rug photos in poster size at Walgreens and laid them on my floor a few days.

In your case, I think just waiting for the wallpaper to arrive is probably easier and almost as quick lol.

IDK if you ordered full rolls or samples, but make sure what you hang is all from the same lot number so the dye is all the same.

• justcallmepool
    last year

Also, nobody has ever used one of my ideas and I'm so excited haha :)

• justcallmepool
    last year

I think the mirror may be better on the wall adjacent to the hall tree.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Lol… yes the rolls

may be easier.

unfortunatley , the mirror wont fit on the wall next to the hall tree. nothing can gonthere just my thermostat lol

• justcallmepool
    last year

Will the mirror fit on the wall across from the thermostat on the other side of the stairs?

• strategery
    last year

Do you have a floor plan? That's a narrow entrance, even with the useful closet.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

It could go on the wall on other sode of stairs, but i wasnt sure it it would be odd to have a mirror facing straight in front of you as you walk in.

strategery, what do mean do i have a floor plan? im not breaking/ removing anything. The area is staying in tact as it, just updating lighting and decor

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

update….

i am going with the idea of wallpaper ceiling! Thank you justcallmepiol !

I loved the original loght blue starburst one I oosted, but it is a oeel and stick. Id rather use regular wallpaper for longevity. , as Id assume peel and stick will fall down after a year or so.

Thoughts on how any of these would look on entry ceiling with fixture?

Abstract blue

Abstract blue foral

Blue geometric 1

Blue geometric 2

My front door is light blue. the kitchen is straight ahead and the view when you enter from the door. it has light blue/ gray backsplash , so id like to keep blue in the ceiling wallpaper to coordinate with home color pallete of light blue, light gray, white white, ivory

• cpartist
    last year

Those geometrics I feel are too directional for a ceiling.

The starburst would look spectacular. Do some googling and see if there have been issues with peel and stick wallpaper. I wish I could help but I got out of the wallpaper business in the mid 90's.

gtdj519 thanked cpartist
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks cpartist

i cant get the starburst one out of my head. I have looked endlessly for that pattern in a regular paper, but no luck. only comes in peel and stick. I havent even found anything similar to it. From what ive read, it seems as though peel and srick only last about 1-2 years. And with it being on a ceiling, gravity isn’t going to be my friend . I am waiting on a sample of another starburst design to come, but its not really , but its not similar to the original . I think the blue is going ro lean Navy , as opposed to light blue. I dont have navy blue in my decor, so I am not certain it will work.

If not, I am considering a watercolor one or maybe one of these other geometrics . Thoughts on abstract watercolor for the ceiling???

• kathyb_ny
    last year

Have you looked at Seabrook wallpaper? The Catwalk pattern looks close....Catwalk paper

gtdj519 thanked kathyb_ny
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you very much for trying to hrlp Kathyb_ny. . I hsve seen that pretty paper, but it dorsnt cone in the color I want, which is light blue ( or a blend of light blue, gray, silverwhite) . The silver /gray doesnt ”pop”on the ceiling, and the turquoise/ gold is too green. - I also don't have gold decor) So frustrating😡

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

I like the abstract blue floral one

gtdj519 thanked thinkdesignlive