SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Remodeling main living floor, how to lay out furniture?

I live in a split level house, roughly 2800 sq.ft of living space. Here's a pic of the front of the house, taken last year, to give you an idea of the look and style:

The main entrance is to a level with a living room, dining room, and kitchen. There are stairs right in front of the entrance that lead upstairs, and then another set that lead downstairs.

Those stairwells have made it VERY difficult for me to come up with a good floor plan for that main level, so I could really use some thoughts!

This is with my back to the front door. You can see the upstairs banister on the right, and note the 6' long sliding glass door on the opposite wall (closed in with a curtain in this pic):

Same location, just turned to focus on the stairs:

This is the other side of the living room. The front door, where I was standing above, would be to the right of this picture:

Closer view of the stairs to the basement:

This is with my back to the opposite corner in the kitchen; in the previous picture I was standing in front of the sofa, near where you see the mirror and floor lamp:

Same location as the previous picture, just turned right so that you can see the dining room:

This is from the last corner, in the dining room facing the front door (where I was standing in the first picture):

And finally, I drew up a layout. This is as close to scale as I could get it, with each block representing 1' squares:

This isn't perfect because the sofa and rug are actually a little angled instead of straight. And he + area next to that is a chair and footstool. Other than that, it's pretty close.

The problem I have with the layout is that, even though the level is technically about 500 sq.ft, it feels tiny! The stairs and the orange wall that divide the rooms close everything in, and a full 25% of the level (the dining room) is completely unused.

In my dream world I would tear out that orange wall and eliminate the dining room entirely, then build a faux chimney along the outside wall in it's place. Something like this:

These would all be permanent fixtures. I hate the look of the banisters and would love to redo them completely, too, but without a huge expense the stairs have to be there regardless

If I did that, then how would you suggest that I place the furniture?

Assuming that the fireplace is 2' deep, that leaves 10' from the fireplace to the banisters that lead downstairs. I obviously have to leave enough room in front of those banisters to get by, so I really have a working area of about 6-7'.

Comments (5)