SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

Veggie Tales Feburary 2023

vgkg Z-7 Va
last year

Feb Gardening, Say What? Happy Ground Hogs Day!

The pic below was covered in snow an hour ago but it's all melted now. Just got a dawn dusting at 32F to look pretty, it's now close to 38F. Not a lot going on in the garden but here are the 3 rows of spinach that I planted last fall, each row was planted 2 weeks apart. Some are spotty thanks to some past slug damage and more recently my hen pecking at it, but mostly is intact and looking very good for an early March harvest. A temp dip down into the teens is expected over the weekend but it will not phase the spinach. I'll re-plant the gaps in the rows with more seed by the end of Feb.

How does your garden grow?

Comments (51)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

That is odd Yolos, the lowest temp here (so far) was 8F back in Dec with no ill effects. The plants do wilt at temps below 20F but they revive quickly without problems. I planted these 3 rows (all Bloomsdale variety) on approximately Oct 20th, Nov 5th, and Nov 20th. I spaced them out to see which timing would work best for an extra early Spring harvest. So far all 3 rows look like winners to pick by early March but time will tell. I think that the fall planting time is critical to see which row "bolts" first in late Spring. I'll be planting more seed in the Spring too (early March) to compare bolting times of each of these plantings.

• Cindy 7 VA
    last year

No spinach news here. For some reason it doesn't do well for me.

Tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night look to be the coldest days so far this winter. Low tomorrow night could be 13 degrees. Will be very happy to see those temps moderate.

• Related Discussions

Veggie Tales - April 1, 2022

Q

Comments (115)
    I finally got a break and got the cabbages, broccoli and cauliflower in and after planting 5 to 6 of each variety they added up to a lot of work. the Patterson and Walla Walla onions went in along with the copra I saved from seed. Put in a 70' row of Kennebec and burbanks before it rained and it was already 2 hours past due from the weather channel's forecast for rain. But I still had red pontiacs to plant and didn't want to get caught in the rain. I went shopping and still no rain so I checked Windy.com. they showed no rain coming for another hour! Got one row of red pontiacs in before the rain started and could of gotten the 2nd row in if I would of checked Windy first, but at least I got all the late potatoes in. I'm done with the weather channel and Windy is now my exclusive weather source. I've been comparing the two sources for 6 months and windy.com has been on the bullseye every time while the weather channel rarely hits the target. Windy shows it will stop raining Sunday at 5 PM.
    ...See More

December 2022 Veggie Tales

Q

Comments (63)
    It's -1 °F here at noon. Wind chill of -25 according to 2. We got snow but there's so much drifting that it's all blowing to the east. What it looks like is a light dusting with grass showing thru. But we're on top of the hill. Channel 2's videos show them plowing at the mall?? It's so windy that I'm wondering if the drifting snow ever comes in before the snow falling from the clouds. Wondering what the uncovered lettuce will look like after Mondays warming trend begins. I see green poking out of the ice and snow from the window.
    ...See More

Veggie Tales April 2023

Q

Comments (87)
    Cindy it's been raining here for about the past 12 hours for a grand total of 2.25". Like you we really needed it and the ground has soaked it up with ease. Sat will be dry for a brief break before getting more rain on Sunday at maybe another inch. Nothing violent here, no high winds or lightning, this should end the pollen season for the most part. The week ahead looks coolish with the lowest temp predicted at 44F by Weds morning, otherwise sunny with daily highs around 70. The garden is very happy today.
    ...See More

Veggie Tales >>> June 2023

Q

Comments (84)
    The heat is now officially turned on here, humidity too + smoke. Looks like after today there's going to be a long stretch of 90's with spotty rain chances. Some more garden pics below from this morning...sure glad we got a ton tomatoes setting before this heat hits... One of my cheatin' tomato plants, have already picked 8 off of this one... One of the later tomato plants, most are loaded down, just a wild carrot/bloom mixed in... Some typical jalapeno peppers for the next batch of chili..... Some yellow summer squash...
    ...See More
  • RD Texas
    last year
    last modified: last year

Another 13 + ounce tomato-seeds from Baker Creek. Cindy and John put your seeds in the mail today.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    last year

Lettuce outside. We get every

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    last year

Richard - Thank you.

Looking at the weather forecast makes me think that Punxsutawney Phil nailed it today. Although he's going to look foolish next week. My Landis Winter lettuce is buried under snow.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)
    last year

Here it is February and I STILL haven't ordered any seeds. One month from now I need to plant peas. I'd better get on it!

I sure wish I would have gotten some spinach going last fall. Although considering we had temps as low as -6F back in December, I'm not sure it would have survived.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

Still puzzled here about the dying spinach when mine is doing well and I'm certain it will be ok even with the temp dipping to 14F tonite. The only factor that comes to mind may be total sun exposure time? At this time of year my 3 rows are in full sun all day from 8am to 4pm, not sure if that has anything to do with it (warmer ground?) but if y'alls spinach is in too shady of an area (where shade & shadow can sneak up on a plot in the fall) then maybe that's why? Best guess, unless your variety isn't as hardy as Bloomsdale?

• HU-939938193
    last year

I got some Bloomsdale that's trying to overwinter along with some "Space" hybrid. Didn't have a chance to get a low tunnel over it. It's in full sun pretty much. Might make it if the henbit don't choke it out.

AP

• HU-939938193
    last year

I got all my seed ordered and coming in . Right now I'm preparing to put out onions and potatoes. That's where it all starts for me. As soon as the winter weather lets off.

Hope I'm not off topic , if I am guess I'm just ashamed.

AP

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

Voles will eat spinach roots over the winter. In my old garden, I had to stop growing it.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    last year

vgkg - I think you are correct about the sun problem with my dead spinach. I planted the 4' x 10' bed filled with spinach. This bed does get very shady in the winter. Every plant in that bed died. I had some extra plants that I planted in pots in a sunny location. I was walking around my garden today and noticed about 50-75% of those plants in the pots lived. I expected all of the potted spinach to have died because they were in pots and I am sure the soil froze solid. So you may be correct about the lack of sun being a problem.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    last year

I just ordered some Albion day neutral strawberry plants from Indiana Berry Co. I grow June bearers, but decided to add some summer/fall bearers.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    last year

Richard - Received the Chocolate Stripes seeds ++ today. Thank you.

• Cindy 7 VA
    last year

Looks like I've lost all of my Swiss Chard and parsley with that last frigid cold snap.

I have had both survive the winter before but not this year.

• RD Texas
    last year

You’re welcome John. I hope they grow well for you.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

My 3 rows of young spinach did ok on Sat morning when the temp dipped down to 16F. Here they are below basking in this mornings sunshine, a warm week ahead (near 70F) so it won't be long before I thin, weed, fert, and mulch the rows for an early March picking. I'll fill in any gaps with fresh seed.

last year

HU: I don't think there IS an Off Topic! Nice looking potatoes!

Yesterday it was wonderfully pleasant. Well, a little windy, but we're used to that in southern Kansas. I took advantage of nice temps and got out the rototiller to take it for a spin around the garden. It will be all nice and fluffy now when I need to plant peas in a month. While I was out there, I detected a few garlic tips poking up through the mulch. I planted them a little later than usual, but at least some of the varieties seem to be growing just fine.

• Cindy 7 VA
    last year

Richard - Received the seeds from you today. Thank you so much for all of them!

• HU-939938193
    last year

itsmce ( and anybody else) , just got me some "Red LaSota" seed potatoes. They're about the same as Red Pontiac. Maybe some minor difference in skin texture. I usually do a mix of Red Pontiac and Kennebec , depending on what's available. I've done other varieties like "Irish Cobbler" and "Yukon Gold". Seems that my local feed store has had problems with the supply chain , freezes and such.

Also started collecting onion bundles for putting out later when the winter lets off some.

Been working on my old tiller. I wore the wheels off, , have to hold it up while tilling. Might as well hold up a mule a going. I about got it fixed now.

I'll be planting green peas too probably in about a month , I've been planting " Miragreen Green " from Gurneys, mainly because they're treated , keeps the moles out of them. Have also tried " Maestro " and " Wando". Anybody have any suggestions for green shelling peas.Seems to me that green peas need warmer soil temps to germinate but then need cooler temps as they're growing. Just back asswards to the flow of the early spring season.

HU

• farmerdill
    last year

I have tried a few varieties of shelling peas. Most of them were satisfactory But Green Arrow and PLS595 have been the best all around main season peas. II also grow smooth seeded peas over winter for an extra early crop.. Prefer Willet Wonder. Early Alaska performs well, just has more vine to contend with. IN case you are wondering, these are the wrinkled seed types I have grown in my lifetime. Alderman, Bistro, Blue Bantam, Bolero, Burppeanna, Caseload, Dakota, Dark Green Perfection, Early Bird, Early Perfection, Easy Peezy, Freezonian, Frosty, Garden Sweet, Green Arrow, Karina, Knight, Laxton's Progress#9, Little Marvel, Maestro, Mr. Big, Penelope, Perfected Freezer, PLS534, PLS 566, PLS595, Premium, Sabre, Strike, Thomas Laxton, Wando.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

"Frosty" peas have been good to me for several years now. We're still eating last year's frozen crop. They do well planted on both sides of a trellis. Will be planting my pea seeds around early/mid March depending upon the long range forecast. Here's a pic from last year's crop...

Early Spring...

Mid Spring......from another angle...

Late Spring...

Today it was so nice outside that I just had to do some digging so I prepped the first rows for later planting of cabbages, broccoli, carrots, beets, and lettuces. I'll be working on that pea plot above soon too.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    last year

Shelling peas remind me of indentured servitude as a child! So I became a snap pea convert. Cascadia snap pea from High mowing seeds have been growing well for me. I will start some indoors in a piece of plastic gutter, then when they go out I'll direct seed another row. Most of the time the second crop is only a week or two behind the first ones.

Meanwhile my peppers are mostly up and looking good. Better get some water on these though.

last year

Shelling peas for me…Maestro is my favorite. A couple years ago I grew one row of Green Arrow. They were good too but were slower to harvest time and grew taller. It’s always a race here in southern Kansas to get peas to sprout, grow (but not too tall), and produce a good crop before we start seeing too much heat. With our winds, I just can’t handle plants that get much taller than 26-30 inches.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

Today is a wet one here where 1" of rain is expected. Yesterday I wrapped up prepping the early veggie plots for later planting and I went ahead and cleaned up (weeded, thinned, cultivated, and fertilized) the fall planted spinach rows. If these milder temps continue I could be picking spinach in another week. It's still too early to plant carrots, beets, lettuces, and peas but it's getting tempting to do so.

• beesneeds
    last year

Gardens look like it's a warm streak in Feb. Got the little potted hostas I overwintered in the porch out to their little greenhouse outside, set up a tray of wintersow seeds for out there too. One of the little greenhouses capping bins had a winter collapse, but still harvesting parsley and a couple other little greens out there. The beds are soggy, the garlic and such are a couple inches high- hoping we don't get too much of a cold blast. But since we will, I need to go set up hoops for blanket over the next couple days while it's warm.

Got some earliest seed started. Peppers, lavender, foxglove. And a variety of early greens to go out in the little greenhouses in a few weeks.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    last year

Go Chiefs!

Spent some time spreading wood chips in paths between rows. Both yesterday and today. A lot warmer today than yesterday.

• Cindy 7 VA
    last year

Noticed today that I have one, and only one, primrose flowering. Very surprised to see it.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    last year

Cindy these are doing great (straight from Costco)

• Cindy 7 VA
    last year

Today I have two yellow primrose flowers blooming. They are much smaller than yours, Len.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

Latest spinach pic (the only game in town), it looks a lot better since I cleaned it up and side dressed. For those of you who planted it in the fall and it now looks to be dead I wouldn't count it out yet. One year deer chewed mine down to nubs and it looked like a lost cause, but it bounced back quickly as the day time temps warmed up. Tomorrow I will plant some fresh seed to fill in the gaps...

The plum trees are showing signs of bud swell now, so far the plums are the only fruit trees waking up. Tomorrow it will hit the low 70's here so it won't be long before dormant oil spraying is on the list.

• HU-939938193
    last year

It's amazing what things like spinach can do to make a comeback.

AP

• Cindy 7 VA
    last year

Just planted some pepper seeds and some eggplant seeds (indoors). Will try to keep track of germination rates as the seeds were just purchased last month.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

Well it looks like Spring is officially here, our first fruit tree (Yellow Egg Plum) is now blooming. Recent warms temps here woke it up a bit too early so it's more than likely I can right off getting any plums from it this year. More nights in the 20's are surely coming up soon even though this coming week will be in the 60's and it's predicted to hit 81F on Thursday. I'm tempted to plant peas, lettuce, carrots, and beet seeds now but need to resist that urge for at least a few more weeks.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    last year

vgkg - You have blooms; but have you seen any bees??? I haven't seen one here, yet. I'm expecting a second year in a row without any fruit.

• docmommich
    last year

John D,

Did you not see any bees last year, or just not this early? Wild bees, such as Mason bees and bumble bees are more likely than honey bees to be out in early, cold weather. You can Google information on how to attract wild bees to your yard for future years. All bee populations are in severe decline.

Martha

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    last year

Martha - I was only raising the question that while vgkg has blossoms on his plum tree that there may not be any bees, or other bugs known to pollinate. It was 72 here the other day. I saw a couple of bugs and I'm serious. I saw 2 or 3 bugs. No bees. So while you may have blossoms and they don't freeze; you get no plums because there was no pollination.

• docmommich
    last year

Ah. Too true. I saw a recent vlog showing Chinese fruit producers out in their orchards with paint brushes hand pollinating their cherry trees. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Martha

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

John so far no sign of Honey bees or Mason bees here even with temps near 70F lately. I have a Mason bee "nest" mounted in one of the trees and it's tubes have been used and are full but no hatches as of yet. There are a few bee keepers nearby but it may be too early for them to venture far away from their hives? This coming Thursday the high temp is predicted to be 80F so that may bring them out?

Normally by mid March the fruit tree blooms are loaded with a cloud of various pollinator bees but my plum trees will surely be past their bloom phase by then. Below is a pic of what a Mason bee "nest" looks like, they can easily be homemade using a drill bit and a block of wood. I'll post when I actually see some pollinators out there...

• recordaras
    last year

We’re in the DC area and did have some bees earlier this week, I was really surprised to see them out so early!

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

Well I checked my Mason Bee nest today and doggone it all the cells have been opened. It looked intact last week so they did hatch out since then. No sign of them today but it was coolish and windy too. Maybe the aroma of the plum blooms woke them up? I think plums are the most pungently fragrant of all our fruit trees, it's almost a sickening sweet smell. Will keep an eye out for any Masons, etc in the coming days.

last year

Yesterday was a picture perfect day in this neck of the woods...er...city. My late afternoon walk revealed that it was remarkably calm. So I jumped into action, broke out my sprayer and dormant oil, and sprayed my peach trees. Today's going to be nearly as 'warm' but the winds return. I just love it when all the stars align, I have the time to spray, AND the weather cooperates.

I checked on my garlic and nearly all the varieties are showing sprouts of an inch or so above the mulch.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

A warmish 70F today and the Honeybees have returned! Here's a pic of the blooming plum tree (Yellow Egg) right next to it's mate (Shiro) which hasn't bloomed yet, but it is at bud swell. The Honeybees and some Mason bees were all over the tree today even though it was quiet windy. When it hits the low 80's here on Thursday that will wake up the Shiro and both trees should have overlapping blooms for at least a couple of days.

• Cindy 7 VA
    last year

And now my Lenten Roses have begun to bloom!

last year

Crazy weather! It was 60* this morning when we woke up. Temps are tumbling! Tonight it’s expected to drop to 16*. This is quite a storm traversing the country.

• HU-939938193
    last year

Hope you got your onions covered if you got them in the ground.

AP

• Cindy 7 VA
    last year

And today the crocus are blooming!

Had some raspberry plants delivered today so they went into the ground just now. It's a new to me variety, "Double Gold." It's supposed to produce twice a year, though the first time will probably be this fall.

My grandson loves raspberries, especially the gold ones.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year

The petals are already dropping from 1 plum tree as the other plum tree just starts to open up a little...

Our 3 pear trees abruptly woke up when the temp hit 84F on Thursday, their buds are swelling quickly...

Sure hope the 20's are behind us but seriously doubt it :-(

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    last year

Today it is cold outside (again) and showering on and off (again) so staying indoors and potted up some tomato sprouts from the last batch of seeds. My inside nursery is filling up fast, peppers and tomatoes look happy.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last year