SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta S 2022 ........................

It is ground hog day and I hope that that fat rodent sees that spring is around the corner. It is also a day for hostas and we would like to see some Ss please.

Bonus Joke

Maxwell House is maybe 1/4 mile away. This is our local jail here in Jacksonville.

Have a great day everyone!

Comments (47)

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    last year

Paula, great jokes, I look forward to them.

Steve, I love the color of Skylight.

Sagae

Salute

So Sweet - likes the sunnier spot it is in now.

Stained Glass

Striptease

Sugar Plum

Sum and Substance

• Related Discussions

April 2022 in my hosta garden

Q

Comments (65)
    Dressed to Kill with minis, Elegans with Sunkisser, Lakeside Paisley Print, and temporary trio of Tokudama aureonebulosa with Blue Shadows and Heat Wave. Can you tell that I love the blue-chartreuse combinations?
    ...See More

Hosta G 2022 ...................

Q

Comments (34)
    Some more Gs Galaxy Gila River - such an unusual color and wins the largest flower/leaf ratio for me. I moved it to more shade to retain better color and the white edges tended to melt away later in the year. Gilt by Association - This was one of my most photographed Hosta the previous year. This year the leaf canopy grew and it is in more shade. I'm really looking forward to these two maturing together. Glad Rags and Mango Tango The always wet looking Glossy Ruffles. A replacement for a dwindler. I hope it was the location and not just a bummer of a plant as I love the look. Going For Gold and a great grower in a poor location - Golden Falls
    ...See More

Hosta P 2022 ...................

Q

Comments (28)
    How special to have a hawk. Hopefully, another will move in soon. My voices tell me they are real, so there. Power of Prayer is a real standout. Pamela Lee - love the subtle color on this mini. Parisian Silk - Great color but slow grower under the maple trees. Pebble Creek Pee Dee Laughing River Piecrust Promise Place of Hope - still young, hopefully leaps this year. Potomac Glory - yes, I'm a sucker for subtle, green on green ... Prime Meridian in mid-May first Sping in the ground and June 20th - seems like a great grower for a white centered Hosta. Punky - yes, more subtlety. I'm with OD, so much P.
    ...See More

Hosta R 2022 ...................

Q

Comments (33)
    mbug, love your dog and puppy statue in the garden…..Ripple Effect got my attention when it was on the cover of one of the hosta publications in the last year……yours is very nice. Does it get much sun?? Also, I don’t know your zone, am wondering if it’s 5 or 5b like me. All of your hostas look perfect! No burns, frost damage or even munchies damage…. How do you do it? One more thing, I see you have hostas in pots…..how do you overwinter them? Old_dirt, your hostas are beautiful as well! All your medio-variegated ones look terrific! I always thought those were a bit more picky about their conditions. Do you think they are? Also, Royal Standard has a pure white flower whereas Honeybells is more lavender. To me, the foliage looks like RS. Your Regal Splendor is lovely! debra
    ...See More
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

Yeah! I have some S photos!

Sagae added it in honor of, I think Phil…….do you guys remember him?

Sea Dream, one of oldest hosta here.

Stiletto

Sum and Substance got divided recently, got two lovelies now.

Sugar and Spice, love the shiny leaves.

Sunset Grooves is doin its best under a blue spruce, a recent addition.

Surfer Girl…..so prolific and trouble free.

Sherry

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    last year

Part 2

Sum of All - I almost lost this one, it is doing better in this location

Summer Breeze - The deer ate most of this one last summer, they had so much to choose from and they picked this one. It must taste good.

Summer Squall

Sun Mouse

Sun Power

Sunshine Glory

Sweet Home Chicago

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year

Back in a Jif lol!

Steve Sea Prize is a nice one.

Beth Sum of All is clearly liking its new home.

Sherry I am smitten every time I see your Sea Dream. I must look out for Surfer Girl.

Sagae

Shade Fanfare

Shiny Sonata

sieboldii Alba

sieboldiana

Silver Bay

Smash Hit

last year

More.

Smoke Signals is young and I did do a clean up of most of the Forget-Me-Not seedlings.

Smokey Mountains

Snow Cap

Snowstorm

Terrible pic of Sorbet but I know I am going to like this one.

Stiletto

Sting

last year

Last batch.

Strawberry Yogurt

Sum and Substance recuperating after being eaten by deer .

Sum and Subtle is in need of moving. A mere shadow of its former self.

Summer Squall

Sun Mouse just planted.

Sunset Grooves

• hosta_maker
    last year
    last modified: last year

i got a hosta catalog in the mail from brecks.

everything is cartooned photoshopped! nothing looks real. eek!

and if you had your heart set on a water hosta. sorry they are sold out.

https://www.brecks.com/search?keyword=Water+hosta&x=0&y=0

Swoosh

Sensous

a fragrant one

Summer love

Sunny disposition

Sweet tart

thats what it smells like to me

i wiil spare u the boredom of looking at unamed streakers

but just a couple favorites

a seventh heaven streaker

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

Wow, lots of great S's. I think I will do mine in shifts.

peren.all - I love Silver Bay, color and shape - going on my list.

Sagae - Been slow and difficult for me but coming along.

So Sweet - Much better since i put it in a pot and gave it lots of sun.

Saint Elmo's Fire - First year.

Sugar and Spice - Getting crowded - need to move.

Sum and Substance - Hard to get a picture showing its grandeur.

Sun Power

Sweet Home Chicago - Usually a slug magnet - better this year.

I'll be back :-)

• gardengoon1957
    last year

Strip tease

I think my regal splendor made a sport maybe? i call it sporty splendor!

Strawberry Yogurt

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

The blue on that Skylight is amazing!

• Saija_Finland
    last year

Summer Breeze

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

I think you all missed my question. Was it Phil that loved Sagae???? he passed several years ago, was a big contributor here.

Sherry

last year

Phil had passed shortly after I came on. Did he not love them all??? Ken, Babka maybe bkay, old_dirt would remember him best.

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    last year

Stained Glass

Super Nova

Snake Eyes

Strip Tease

So Sweet

St. Paul

Stolen Ability

Sugar and Spice

Sugar Daddy

Summer Breeze

Sum and Substance

Sagae

Sweet Innocence

St.Paul- a close up. This guy is slow for me.

Sun Power

Sting

Seducer

Spartacus

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Regarding Phil, I don’t remember him so I must have joined afterwards. Did he post as Phil or have a different handle?

Paula, all the jokes were good today….. I liked the Jif one best as that is my favorite peanut butter! I must tell you that I was in Jacksonville about 5 years ago for a conference at the biggest hotel on the waterfront……I thought the waterfront area was beautiful! Sorry the Jaxs lost….😔

First let me say, all of your Sagaes and So Sweets are great!!

Steve, I also love Skylight, but I actually think I like the blue of Silver Bay better.

Beth, love your kitty! Your Stained Glass is a beauty. Mine dwindled to almost nothing….. I moved it and am hoping it comes back. It’s such a pretty hosta. Nice Striptease as well.

Sherry, Sea Dream is sooo huge! And so flawless! Love that Sugar and Spice, so shiny! Your Sunset Grooves is pretty…..mine got Nematodes (I think) so I tossed it. ☹️ Surfer Girl, I am liking that one….does it do well in sun?

Peren, love Shiny Sonata. You are so funny, you think we notice the FMN seedlings when we are blinded by the beauty of your garden…….. lol lol. Snow cap is pretty, that white edge really draws the eyes. I have to say this, I have never been a big fan of all green hostas……. But I am beginning to see in that picture of Stiletto how interesting and lovely all the green can be!

Hosta_maker, Swoosh is a really nice streaker! Available? Sweet Tart….what a cute name. I am never bored by your seedlings….always nice to see what may be coming…..interesting about the Beck’s catalog…..

Old_dirt, I have a NOID that kind of looks like St. Elmo’s Fire, but don’t think it is….you have a really nice big Sum and Substance and I love Sweet Home Chicago, very good coloring!

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Sherry, Super Nova has the type of coloring I love…..yours is really a looker! Super nice Snake Eyes….not sure I have seen one this good!

gardengoon, your Striptease is so prolific in bloom! WOW! It will be interesting to see if your sport works out……I like the name you gave it!

Saija, perfect looking Summer Breeze!

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Here are my Ss:

Actually had to move this as it was burning badly on the left side from longer sun exposure than the rest of the bed, That spot is open for a hosta that can really take a lot of sun or a peony may go in there

One of two I have.

This one does well for me.

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

More:

Probablly my biggest

another shot early spring

Snow Mouse with a lot of dirt and some damage from ????

debra

• garyz6ohio
    last year

Smiling Susan

Stalwart Steve

Sitch Genes

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    last year

This morning at 05:23am Shubenacadie Sam kicked off Canada’s first Groundhog Day prediction shortly after sunrise on the East Coast. Nova Scotia’s most famous groundhog apparently saw her shadow this morning as she emerged from a snow-covered enclosure at a wildlife park north of Halifax.

So thrilled to hear we will have 6 more weeks of winter........ :(

But I am so glad to see so many beautiful Ss today.

Sandra

• garyz6ohio
    last year

The next two are special to me. Clarence Owens asked me to help register a couple of seedlings for him and so he sent them home with me so I could get the relevant pictures, measurements etc. That was two years ago and last year I registered two for him and this year the third. I returned the plants to him this past summer and spent a wonderful afternoon with him going through his gardens. He past away a few months later. This next picture is the one I registered for him this year so it won't be in the hosta library until next year.

Sandy Times Two

Susan and Steve A larger bluer version of Sally and Bob

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

Debra, Surfer Girl gets a half day of sun here and does well. i also have divisions in mostly shade, probably spreads more in the shade.

Sherry

• hosta_maker
    last year

gary

those are nice especially the sandy times two. what a good friend. ...and a legacy that will live on. I always think with all the bad things going on in the world we need people to create and share beauty and have a place to retreat to away from the crazy.

is there a story behind the name?

i went to the registrar and copied the long list of hosta he registered.

so people can see his contributions

-Barbara Elizabeth Hoover (R) - 2002

-Betty Darling (R) - 1989

-Big John (R) - 1986

-Blackjack (R) - 1990

-Blue Betty Lou (R) - 1987 (r1988)

-Bobbie Sue (R) - 1994

-Chartreuse Piecrust (R) - 1985

-Dianne (R) - 1985

-Fascinator (R) - 1989

-Fran and Jan (R) - 1986

-Green Aspen (R) - 1986

-Green Dragonet (R) - 1999

-Green Fingers (R) - 2002

-Green Marmalade (R) - 1987

-Heart of Chan (R) - 1987

-Indian Feather (R) - 1992

-Jack and Margaret’s Keynote (R) - 2001

-Little Darling (R) - 1994

-Little Fellow (R) - 1990

-Marbled Cream (R) - 1985

-Marbled Cream Elite (R) - 1999

-Marbled White (R) - 2009

-Neeta (R) - 1999

-Nick Balash (R) - 1994

-Rain Forest Shooting Stars (R)

S.S. Geisha (R) - 2008

-Sally and Bob (R) - 1994

-Sandy Times Two (R) - 2022

-Silver Giant (R) - 1987

-Straka Gold (R) - 1994

-Susan and Steve (R) - 2021

-Terry (R) - 2002

-White Necklace (R) - 1999

-Yellow Highness (R) (aka Yellow High) - 1990 (r2005)

-You and Me (R - 2021

• garyz6ohio
    last year

Clarence the past couple of years has had in home health case workers who helped around the house and even did some of the gardening. Two of them both had the name of Sandy. Clarence wanted to surprise and honor them both for all the help they had given him.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

What a sweet story gary……so lucky you both had each other!! Both of those hostas are lovely. I really like that Sitch Genes, sorta a reverse of Striptease….

Hosta_maker, thank you for your loving comments which I agree with and thanks for the list!

debra

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    last year

I gotta take pictures this year....sigh

• garyz6ohio
    last year

debra, Stitch Genes is a sport of Stitch in Time. It's along the same line as Time Traveler

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    last year

I grew up on Jif..I buy Jif now!..

great S’s everyone..I see all of mine (6) pictured except Sharmon..I don’t know where Sharmon is but have a tag..took a screenshot from the hosta library but haven’t looked seriously yet..

Sherry..nice photos!..love Surfer Girl..I do remember some great pictures from a Phil..I tried searching for Phil but was unsuccessful..I miss the way we could search years ago..🙁

garyz..love the meaning behind the name Sandy Times Two..

my screenshot of Sharmon..

Sum and Substance..

Seducer..left of the astilbe..towards the top left corner..😃

the big one in the center of the photo was tagged Striptease..but it’s plain!..it was plain when I bought it..I didn’t know that it shouldn’t be plain..🤦‍♀️

don’t have Sunpower or So Sweet pics..

So Sweet might? be on the right in the lower half of the photo near the tree..

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

I'm back - told ya so :-)

I'm thinking Phil may have been 'hosta_freak Phil NC' ? He was a regular here a few years ago.

More S's

Sweet Sunshine

Sakatini

Secret Love

Sharp Dressed Man

Sheila Macqueen

Sheila West

Sunshine Glory

More tomorrow

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    last year

Gary, how fortunate you were to participate with Clarence in the joys of Hosta growing. Thanks for sharing a piece of him with us. And very interesting to see what he brought to our hobby. I grow a few of those.

Smokey Mountains

St. Paul has been slow for me too

Stag's Leap - starting to leap.

Stand By Me - love the structure and growth pattern on this one.

Star Power got too big for its spot, so it got split and moved late the previous year, so this is what it looks like in recovery mode. I'm afraid to see it in 2024.

Star-Kissed is another subtle color that becomes more distinct but still the green on green I like so much. I found a couple buried on a sales table at LoTGs a few years ago. Nice to see it show up on a vendor's website this past year. In mid-June.

Still waiting for Stingray to strut its stuff. Maybe this year.

Sugar Plum

Sultans of Swing

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

End of my S's

Sweet Innocence

Spartacus

St. Paul

Summer Breeze - I thought this one was gone.

Sunlight Child

Surfer Girl - Spreads really fast, would make a good border.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

Thanks Old Dirt! You remembered Phil or Hosta Freak. His favorite was Sagae, maybe all were his favorite. I didnt have a Sagae when he was posting and got one because of him. i believe he passed within a year of my joining here.

Sherry

• hosta_maker
    last year

Sagae

sunshine glory

deb swoosh spreads like clausa becareful what you wish for

summer breeze makes me feel fine
    Streaker

last year

hosta_maker great unnamed streakers and Sunshine Glory. Interesting about Swoosh.

old_dirt I hope you do get Silver Bay. It is a real favorite. Your pot of So Sweet is incredible. Nice SDM & Sweet Innocence.

gardengoon so glad you showed the flowers of Strawberry Yogurt. Mine is getting a bit too much sun and is pretty ratty looking by the time flowers appear.

Saija what a lovely Summer Breeze.

Shadow all of yours look wonderful but Super Nova was a real standout.

Thank you Debra. I have high hopes for Shiny Sonata, it is on its first full year and I am impressed with it. You and Shadow have no difficulty growing Sting! I am on my 2nd one, I hope it gets with the program. Nice to see Summer Lovin', it looks like it is doing really well.

Gary Stitch Genes is interesting. What a lovely story about Clarence Owens. You must miss him and having his plants in your garden. I am sure he was delighted that you registered for him.

Ann what a nice Seducer. Lovely garden shots as always.

Steve I really like Stand by Me & Sultans of Swing. Now both songs are going through my head!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Hosta_maker, thanks for the warning about Swoosh! After seeing Nicholsworth’s headache with clausa, I will put that on the “no” list. 😝

debra

last year

someone else I haven’t seen in awhile..Jon..from the east coast maybe?..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Yes, he’s the one who loved Ivory Coast and had 4 large ones in his front garden……I think he used the handle “JonA”…….I also was missing him.
    debra

• mbug_gw
    last year

I almost missed S. Must pay better attention!!

A bunch more to come:

Sagae

Saint Elmo's Fire

Satisfaction 6-21-22

Sea Fire 5-15-22

Seducer 6-21

• mbug_gw
    last year

Part 2....

Shimmy Shake 7-4-22.jpg

Silver Lode 5-15-22.jpg

Sky Dancer 5-19-22.jpg

Sky Dancer 5-19-22.jpg

Snake Eyes 6-2-22.jpg

So Sweet 6-22-22.jpg...trying to make a comeback after being brunch for deer

• mbug_gw
    last year

Last batch.....

Stag's Leap bed

Stag's Leap 2x 5-15-22.jpg

Stand By Me 5-16-22.jpg

Stetson 5-29-22.jpg

Stir It Up 5-15-22.jpg

Strawberry Banana Smoothie 5-12-22.jpg

• mbug_gw
    last year

I lied, just a few more...

Strawberry Parfait 6-23-22.jpg

Striptease 5-15-22.jpg

Sum and Substance 5-21-22.jpg

Summer Breeze 5-26-22.jpg

Stained Glass 6-23-22

last year

mbug they are all beautiful but Strawberry Banana Smoothie just jumps out from the page.

• mbug_gw
    last year

Thanks peren. I like it a lot. It's one I have to be careful with...some extra TLC at times.

last year

mbug..so many good ones!..my favorites would be too plain for some people Lol..

I agree with Laurie..Strawberry Banana Smoothie grabbed my attention..

so did Shimmy Shake and Stir It Up..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

mbug, your Stag Leaps bed is absolutely stunning! Boy you really have the eye for design like others here…. I am trying to do that but it doesn’t come easily to me… also yours and Beth’s (?) St. Elmo’s Fire look like a NOID I have, sorta…..It has a lavender flower in July but the leaf shape is thinner like some of the young leaves on yours…. Satisfaction maybe not so satisfying if it’s reverting 😂😂😂
    All of yours are terrific, but I looooove Strawberry Banana Smoothie! So bright! In your Striptease bed, what is that tall thin leafed plant next to the fence and Liberty?

debra

• chamaegardener (Z5) Northeast Illinois
    last year

Sapphire Pillows

Sum & Substance

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor