SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
resseger

Is this normal performance for new glider windows?

resseger
last year

Hello!

We had some 1970s casement windows that were totally fogged up replaced with Marvin Signature Ultimate glider windows last May. As its been VERY cold in Minnesota the past few weeks, I've been pretty disappointed in the air temp next to these windows compared to our old windows (also a lot more sound is getting in compared to the old windows). I knew glider/slider windows were less energy efficient than casements, but thought the different would be more subtle.

The coldest area seems to be the track of the new window, adjacent to the fixed window. I took some thermal photos of one of the windows last night when it was 0 degrees or a bit colder outside, and found temps of 22 degrees in the sort of pocket at the end of the track. The pocket itself seems to have no purpose and I don't know why it wasn't insulated (I stuck some rope caulk in the pocket of one of the other windows but it doesn't seem to have made a difference).

Was an insulation step missed when these windows were installed? They were installed into existing frames, and unfortunately I didn't supervise fully to see what level of insulation they did. Or is this just the best I can expect from new glider windows? For comparison, the coldest spots near my original 1920s double-hung windows with storms is 45 degrees (though those are a bit closer to the heating vents).

If this is the best they get, I can't believe these windows qualify for Energy Star!

Thanks for any advice you might have before I reach out to my window installer.

Comments (3)