SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_heacock

Open Concept Home Build Wall Color Selection

Jane Heacock
last year

New home build. Need help with wall color selection primarily for the open concept area of the home.
We are building a home that is open concept in the main living area and I am trying to decide on interior paint color. The lake side of the house faces south west and we have lots of large windows. The great room with a vaulted wood ceiling and dining room (with 9ft white ceiling) are open to each other (facing the lake side of the home) with a two-sided fireplace between them in the center. We still have to select the veneer stone that will be on the face of the fireplace area and I know that is a consideration for what color we select for the walls. I am open to selecting the stone that would be easiest to work with for this space. There are lots of color option so I am not concerned about the fireplace stone but I do need to make that selection in this whole color process.
The flooring is a luxury vinyl light maple color throughout most of the house, minus the bathrooms. We will have white trim throughout the home.
The cabinetry in the kitchen will be white and I kept the bathrooms either white or cream color cabinetry so I could bring color in with the granite countertops which I have already selected. Floor tile and shower units are basic with a touch of color in the niche storage areas. I am planning on bringing in other color to all the spaces in the house through furnishings.
I have been looking at BM paint colors for the open area of the house but do not want it so light it looks white. I do not like green undertones in a paint color. The kitchen (white cabinets) and foyer are open to these areas but are on the other side of the house. I think the foyer will get lots of light from the great room area with those big windows but I can't decide what color go with. Not living in the space is hard for me as I need to tell the build coordinator what colors I want in the house at some point. So far I have been considering BM Classic Gray, Winds Breath, Silver Satin and Gray Cashmere.
I have started the process of looking at furniture for the great room and dining room but have no idea at this point what colors I will choose for upholstery for the great room. I am very classic when it comes to selections in general and never go with the trends. I want the house to feel cozy but not dark on cloudy days. I have considered hiring a interior decorator for this. Any of your suggestions will be appreciated. I know there is a lot of considerations with my project. Thanks

Comment (1)