SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjenni

1950's Ranch needs front entry redesign help

sjenni
last year

Need help re-designing our front entry for our 1950's ranch, located in New England. We are thinking of adding a bay window to the front, removing the front pillars (which are non load bearing), the brick, and the concrete steps, and replacing with a small composite landing/deck with stairs.

Exterior · More Info

I want to add a handrail on at least one side wherever there are stairs, but still make it easy to get larger furniture in and out.

Exterior · More Info

There is an elevation difference between the front door and the driveway that makes it a bit challenging. The overhang is also not quite big enough to cover a real front porch. We also want to replace the current stone steps and the paved walkway and replace it with something more appealing and functional. The dirt area next to the driveway could be paved since it's just an area that grows weeds at the moment. We are also thinking of replacing the stone retaining wall alongside the driveway.

Exterior · More Info

In my ideal world I'd like to have a front entry that doesn't require steps at all, but I'm not sure that's realistic. Would love ideas on how to make this look better while also making it more functional!

Comments (2)