SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marrymaid

Area rug help.

marrymaid
last year

Having downsized to a maintenance free home, the living room and lower level needed to be switched leaving the need for a new rug in the living room. The blue rug in the picture will be moved and this furniture will remain. This room is 14 1/2”x16 1/2” and the leg of the fireplace is 6” from the baseboard.
The furniture you see will need to stay ( maybe not the 25 yr. old round table at the end of the sofa) and after trial and error this arrangement works the best for us. There is nothing new but I would like a bit of color, maybe with pillows and not use the ones pictured?
All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Comments (179)

• liasch
    last year

Love Flo’s mock up. As much as I love pattern (my house is maximalist) I think with your two chairs, softer and less busy works well…what my YS calls “a well behaved rug” that won’t demand attention and you won’t tire of it. And it will offer long run flexibility for changes like Christmas or seasons.

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

Flo, that helps me visualize everything, thank you. My mind is just going in circles. Would it be possible to soften the yellow to maybe a muted gold or even caramel and I could get new slip covers for the chair? The rug now is 12x14 and if turned it is touching the fireplace, so too long. You are correct that I don’t believe I want to be the star. You are very kind to take your time to do a mock up.

• Related Discussions

HELP!!! New home: Need so much new stuff and area rug help!

Q

Comments (22)
    Home Interiors & Jodie White, Sorry guys. I'm new to this. Obviously, i need to create an Ideabook! I tend to go more towards muted brown, red, yellow/gold, rust colors (in past), but open to other somewhat neutral palettes. I actually love the console, but was considering an antique cream color (if I could make that work?). My tastes tend to be traditional, rustic, a little farmhouse (pottery barn, restoration hardware, ballard designs) but with so many current needs, all those in a TIGHT budget! Aktillery9, i do like all of those looks. My husband did just tell me, due to wiring, there is chance we may not be able to mount on flat wall as i hoped, so i may be forced to go back to corner console again. :( When I get a chance, I'll post some of my fav looks.
    ...See More

Area rug help needed.

Q

Comments (3)
    Your floor is considered “pattern neutral” so don’t worry about matching the grain. IMO I’d try to find a rug that brings in some other accent colors. Otherwise, you’ll just have a blah beige/brown room.
    ...See More

Area rug help in awkward living room!

Q

Comments (9)
    The first thing I would do is get thet TV off the FPit is hung way too high and it looks like a heatilator type FP so the ventting of it will ruin the TV. Try thinking of the FP as one focal point and the TV either wall monted on an articulating arm beside the TV or that TV on the wall beside the kitchen doorway and rearrange the furniture For us a to scale floor plan is always helpful showing all the measurements , windows doorways etc The to scale plan is a great addition to the pics it helps getting a feel for the space . For sure at least give us the measurements of the room
    ...See More

Help with Area Rug Help

Q

Comments (2)
    The rug in the above picture looks great! Where is it from? Please share details of the rug
    ...See More
  • liasch
    last year

Caramel would be a nice warm tone, more earthy. I think even the pattern on this rug is a bit busy. Something a bit more organic and less structured would be nice.

• niccidhg
    last year

MM, maybe if you just recovered the French chair cushions and paint a lighter color, then add just a pillow or two and an art piece, you could keep your rug. It does look very nice with your furniture. That might be enough to brighten the room. Would that be an option, or are you most definitely wanting a new rug? You could co- ordinate the chair fabric, a pillow or two, and art with the new wall color - maybe no need for a new rug, especially since the size won’t work turned the other way and a smaller size seems like it would be too small. Do you think you could try the other changes and see if they would be enough to lighten and brighten ?

• liasch
    last year

Not necessarily this rug but this is what I mean. Wayfair.

• niccidhg
    last year

I usually like to work off of a rug first. However, if you did the other things first, you could gauge if it is enough change. If you reassess and still wanted lighter, you could then still look for a new rug in the end. ( If this strategy doesn’t appeal to you, and you really WANT a new rug - just forget the whole thing I just said, 😂 hahaha. )

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

Lia, my thought too but I am never sure. 🤷‍♀️

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

Nicci, what bothers me most is the medallion going vertical rather than horizontal. It is a 12X14 and won’t fit vertical, as I mentioned so hoping the 9x12 would. Flo helped me with her diagram. I am not desperate but OH mentioned this rug looks worn out and in person I agree. Paint might be tricky do to because of the fireplace stone and backsplash ( gray 🤦🏼‍♀️) in the kitchen. I have seen some nice pillow covers on Etsy and I have plenty of inserts to work with. Lol. Keep the ideas coming. Thank you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

MM - I would be happy to change up colors for you. With you input on rug and the scale drawing, I think a 10’ wide x 13’ long rug would be ideal. I will see what I can do. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Rug would be better with more overall pattern. No Medallion. Easier to work with in this type room.

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Flo, agree no medallion. Trying to give an idea of 12’ vertical and 9’ horizontal. It is difficult to get a good picture. 1 and 3 are 9x12. 2 and 4 are 10x14. Somethings are not easy. Did the best I could getting pics. Hope this isn’t more confusing. 😳

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

I pulled the sofa off of the wall 14” and a 9x12 works but covers the console table.

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

Pushed the sofa back a bit and pulled the chairs forward and a 9x12 seems to work.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Ok great. Good job!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is mock up with different “transitional” rug. Polypropylene so easy to care for. Best price I have found so far. I couldn’t find it on a website with “see in your room” yet so use your imagination. Size looks perfect for under $400! I put velvet carmel pillow in French chair (texture). Changed yellow flowers and put stems of Olive tree branches for “whispy” look. Added beads chain with tassels for natural accent on coffee table. And a print pillow with another carmel velvet pillow. I took the floor lamp away from window corner and added small lamp for side table. Floor lamp comes back to area between end of living area and family room. Is this more what you were hoping for?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

All items budget friendly.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Found the rug on rugs-direct. Here’s better look at that rug in room. 😊

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

It’s not perfect but gives you idea. Enjoy! I can give you sources and prices on any items.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Just popped in late here. I love Flo’s mockup above. I think you need more color in this room to make all the elements work together. Pillows, throws, art, etc. need to be more bold. I think that beautiful medallion rug can stay, too, unless you are determined to replace it.

• liasch
    last year

Amanda The rug is gone for sure. For various reasons including the layout of the room and the position of the centre medallion.

• liasch
    last year

I like that rug… hard to tell the colours in a photograph on my phone but it looks to have a bit of brown/rust/terra-cotta/caramel in it? Along with the navy?

• liasch
    last year

However getting chairs reupholstered is pricey… What are you thinking about that chair with the yellow cover? or maybe just a new chair?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

In looking around, Home Depot has this rug. You might be able to find one near where you live, even in a smaller size and get a true feel for coloring. Or order smaller size and see it in your light from two different directions.

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think a warmer rug would look so pretty in there. Something like this that has cool colors in it, too, to be cohesive with your gray elements.

You could find lots of beautiful pillows to coordinate. It would be a lovely collected and layered look.

https://incrediblerugsanddecor.com/products/loloi-victoria-vk-01-walnut-multi-area-rug#mz-expanded-view-448590214475

I have ordered from this company several times, all good experiences.

This rug might be too much color, but thought I’d see. :)

I love your yellow chair, that’s what inspired me. I’m one who loves mixing colors and patterns.

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, Flo. I do like the caramel and greenery better also. I feel that corner with the yellow chair might need some height, therefore the floor lamp? When the lamp is next to the sofa it is in our only living area. The chairs backs are to the island and kitchen. We don’t have much space to work with and is making me crazy. Lol would a softer camel color work as well as the caramel? Just trying to keep anything from “jumping out” if you know what I am trying to say? I don’t mind to add some color at all. I will show OH your mock-up and check Home Depot as it would be an easy return if needed. I already have the navy throw, woohoo. Still debating on the French chair. I had it in the guest room.

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Lia. The French chair just have covers no upholstery needed. Kinda like a pillow cover with a zipper on each piece. If need be, I might be able to find something at HomeGoods or a good sale. I am just not sure what fabric to be looking for. I doubt it would take much fabric to redo those covers but I don’t sew, so could be all wrong. I like a chair in that corner to help warm things up a bit. I do know that I don’t want a heavy looking one.

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

Jilly, the colors in that rug are awesome. I wish it was muted as it works so well in the room. I like the richness it offers. I am hoping to bring in some richness with art and pillows. Pillow covers will be easy for me to change. To bad that French chair isn’t slightly softer looking too. It was great when we used it with a red and white chair and a soft blue and cream sofa. Of course that was over 30 yrs. ago. 😳. I was all about Country French and just had to hang onto that chair. Thank you for peeking in and your wonderful suggestions. Please keep them coming.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

That is a beautiful rug Jilly. Maybe we can find a similar one in lower price point.

• Jilly
    last year

Thank you, Flo!

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

News flash! I have been summoned to help with the 3 youngest grandchildren for a couple,of weeks. Needless to say, I won’t have time or energy to respond or even search/shop. I can’t express how much I appreciate each of your help and kindness and hope to back in touch sooner than later. This will also give me time to maybe persuade OH to spend a little more. 😂😂😂

• Jilly
    last year

Aww! That makes me smile.😊 ❤️

Decorating can wait! See you later! :)

• niccidhg
    last year

Take care and I hope you have fun, marrymaid. It will give a good break from all this “bombardment” and give us more time to look, too.🤗

• kcooz07
    last year

We'll be here, MM, when you are back. Go Chiefs! 🏈

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is similar rug half the price. Do you like it!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Oh MM that sounds wonderful! Have a Blessed time making great memories! But do pace yourselves! Enjoy!

• Jilly
    last year

Great find, Flo!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Love shopping for deals!

• niccidhg
    last year

Have to post this last one before I leave you alone, haha. Not wool , but great price at Wayfair. I think it is really pretty and the pattern is a bit smaller scale to go with your existing check. This Gorsuch by Langley St. rug comes in 4 diff. colors. Here are 3 of them. 9’x12’2”, either $449.99 or $509.99, depending on color. Here are the cream/ rust and the beige/slate.

• niccidhg
    last year

…. Here is the Gorsuch rug in a third color, slate/beige.

• allanaspree
    last year

MM enjoy your time with the Grandkids though I suspect you might be a little tired in coming days after enjoying no less than 3 balls of energy all day long! Rug shopping/schlepping will be a walk in the park afterwards. Make the most of these special moments. They grow up way too quickly!

• liasch
    last year

Wonderful that you’re getting time to spend with the grandchildren! Yes you’ll definitely need to put your feet up after that… Enjoy. 🥰BTW I really like this rug that Flo posted and like Jilly, really like combining colour and pattern but you may prefer something more subdued.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

To me, Flo’s design plan for this room is just perfect. I would follow it to a tee, including pillows, throw, etc.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Expanded view of Flo’s design plan. Beautiful!

• Lisa SW
    last year

Marrymaid, I’ve been lurking and leaving you in the good hands of your designers. But I’ve ordered several wool rugs on line and have a few tips. Most of the online rug companies always have a "special limited sale" — typically 15% but I’ve seen as much as 25%. Don’t let them fool you into feeling you need to make an urgent purchase. For instance, they might have a 15% Valentine’s Day sale; the next week it will be a 20% President's Day sale. Signing up for email or just putting something in you cart gets you another 10% off. Also, Overstock sells names brands under different names. Alexander Home is Loloi and KaLeen is Courvert. My $700 Macy's bar cart was $200 at Overstock without the name. I have Loloi in my office and knitting room and am impressed with the quality at the price point. Same with KaLeen. I avoid Safavieh. Now go enjoy the grands — what a treat!

• Lisa SW
    last year

One more tip, or "How I Became an OS Sleuth". First off, OS is not my go to place, but I’ve purchased a few things after researching exactly what I was getting and what a deal I got. In shopping for items I noticed that all retailers would have the same product description and pictures which I now assume come from the manufacturers. I wasn’t buying a $700 bar cart on a whim but when I searched on OS for bar carts and looked at descriptions, there it was. (Love it btw) Family room rug is a funnier story. I’d been looking at rugs intermittently for awhile, saving to lists or putting it in my cart. One day I went to KaLeens and thought I might have found the one. I couldn’t find it at any rug retailers but something seemed so familar. Lo-and-behold, I’d put it in my OS cart months earlier. No longer a mystery rug of questionable quality, it was purchased immediately. It shipped directly from KaLeen and has the label. And yep, it’s the one.

• marrymaid
    Original Author
    last year

Your kindness continues and I have added Lisa. Thank you all. Lisa I took a screenshot so I could remember. Lol. Busy day, OH went to pick up dinner and I am having a glass of wine. It will be an early night.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Lisa, the same is true for Amazon. Many items available at stores are available on Amazon, often at a better price with free shipping for Prime members.

• Lisa SW
    last year

Oh Amanda, I’m the Amazon queen but have found better prices elsewhere. But a rhetorical question, do they hide brand names. Also rhetorical, but I’m wondering about people's most unusual Amazon purchases. Mine was a replacement cord for a 30+ yo percolator. But oops, let’s stick with decor.

• liasch
    last year

Lol…Lisa feel free to suggest that topic on my thread…I have an item…😬

• Lisa SW
    last year

Will do Lia! It will be a new topic of conversation instead of an inadvertent hijack.