SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheila0

Engineered wood in the kitchen - how long does it last?

sheila0
last year

A lot of people are using engineered wood in kitchens. I would not put solid wood in a kitchen because the acrylic finish would only last about 5 years. (We can't use oil-based polyurethane in the apartment building and I'm not a fan of the pre-finished micro-beveled look). Is engineered wood less durable or more durable than solid wood? I always assumed it would be similar until you wear down the veneer, then it's garbage, so I ruled it out. I don't want to refinish my kitchen floor in 5 years or replace it in 10. We are hard on our kitchen.

As part of our apartment renovation we are renovating the kitchen, which abuts the foyer on one side and the living room on the other. The living room has 1955 parquet which is not too bad. The foyer and kitchen had ceramic tile which is already ripped out. Replacing the living room floor is out of the budget. We were going to try to match the living room parquet in the foyer, but that is not working out. We were going to use ceramic tile in the kitchen, but now I am thinking of engineered wood in both the kitchen and foyer. Is it durable enough to withstand a lot of foot traffic and spills?

Comments (8)