SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_411912784

Wallpaper Color Choice Help

Hello, we finally closed on our new home at Christmas. we are still not moved in yet but because we are having some flooring replaced and other things that make moving in with kids and furnitire easier once they are done.

i am in the the process of choosing grass cloth wallpaper for our master bedroom.

i cant decide between doing a natural color grasscloth or a blue lighter to medium grasscloth for the walls.

we have ordered a white four poster bed

if we do natural grasscoth i would order blue bedside chests

If we did blue grasscloth i woild order wood bedside tables i dont like this basket but i do like the table.

i also like this table although maybe too formal?

this is our room

but we are having carpeting replaced with wood like the rest of the house which willlook like this

ihave been back and forth on this decision and now have tomake it as flooring will be dome this coming week and wallaper hanger is scheduled for the 16th .bed delivery the 18th. onv once that bed gets put in there i, hoping not to have to move it again. once i decide on wallpaper color i will also be ordering the area rug.

Comments (74)

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ok, Sheraton in the first one, but close. :D

I can picture a white bed with it. Of course it’s hard to be certain without seeing things in place. Guessing game.

But this is so lovely! Beautifully stained furniture loves grasscloth, I heard.

I know! No beds here. Let me have my fun, it’s refreshing to not see the usual room styles suggested on Houzz (2020’s Wayfair MCM or everything blizzard-like).

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Me? I could go long term natural in a single heartbeat. Commit to color in small doses, easy to change. We know what the bed looks like : ) I'd pile crisp white linens, and hit it with a dab of spa blue...

We grow, we change. we get bored...who knows.But it is THE most forever paper of the bunch.

Up the road? all your options are open.

Coastal Elegance thanked JAN MOYER
  • Related Discussions

Let's talk wallpaper (may be offensive to wallpaper lovers)

Q

Comments (23)
    I love wallpaper, and use it often. But I do agree about people who apply multiple layers or paint over it. Doesn't sound like any of you have ever had the challenge we had in this house. I kid you not--I counted carefully--our living room had TWELVE layers of wallpaper, several with pain on them. And we stripped every scrap of it off before doing anything further. One interesting thing I've noticed lately--the houses for sale in the neighboring town (one of the priciest, most 'desireable', most trendy in the country) are mostly showing very, very busy wallpapers lately. Guess it's coming back.
    ...See More

Bold wallpaper choice for the ceiling of our sunroom/library

Q

Comments (1)
    I love the idea of a moody blue reading hideaway. I also love the idea of bold wallpaper on the ceiling. That being said neither paper does it for me. The first seems too large of a scene and the clouds is too predictable. I’d keep looking as wallpaper ain't your Granny’s tiny floral any more. Try Etsy for a paper that suits you? They have some dramatic designs But it is your space and the potential is yours. Go with what speaks to you.
    ...See More

Rug choice for bold wallpaper?

Q

Comments (22)
    Of course we’re only seeing this one part of the room … are there curtains? Other rugs visible? Is the room open to any others?
    ...See More

Peel and Stick Wallpaper OVER existing Wallpaper?

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks all. I am a Realtor. and have been for 15 years.....so I do understand the importance of what's really critical and, as this is my mother's home (she passed away in November) and I'll be listing it, I'm taking extremely good care of the systems, yard, appliances, etc. I'm willing to invest more than the average "flipper or prepper". The comps are extremely good in the area so I'm willing to go over and above to maximize the sale. I'm really just curious if anyone has every used the peel and stick over exisiting wallpaper. I had no intention of paining over the paper. - that's a shortcut I'd never do, especially on my own property and If i paint, I'd remove the paper, have the drywall prepped appropriately and then paint. I just wanted some insght into the peel and stick and see if it was worth a shot! Thanks all!
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    last year

I never get to have any traditional and colorful fun around here.

*kicks toe in safe white dirt*

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

EVERYONE lusts after something. For years...........and this is not my room. It's Victoria Hagan. I dream of a space like this. I may have never gone to work..Just close the door and stay in there: ) Allllllll day.

• Steph H
    last year

I would go with the second light wood bedside tables, natural wall covering, and blue bedding.

Coastal Elegance thanked Steph H
  • PRO
    Coastal Elegance thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • freedomplace1
    last year

To avoid having a bedroom that you are potentially going to hate for another 10 years... consider not designing your bedroom “by committee.”

In other words - have what you want to have in your bedroom. Not what random strangers on this ”design” site think you should have.

So, therefore - if you are partial to the blue grasscloths - find a decorator/designer to help you to coordinate your room around that, if you feel that you need help with that.

• Maureen
    last year

My first opinion was neutral grasscloth to allow for a wider range of color choices over the years and the creation of a light, airy feel to work with your bed. Sort of below with your blue nightstand example.

Once I saw your bedding choice and learned of your mom’s chests, I changed my mind as it could lean towards slightly formal (as per Home Interiors examples). I think the room will need a more balanced approach mixing of old/new/light/dark and blue grasscloth might better support that look. Mixing important/different pieces at the best of times is difficult.

Given the cost involved and long term commitment, I’d be tempted to postpone purchasing until furniture is in place. For the inconvenience, it might be well worth it.

Coastal Elegance thanked Maureen
  • ptreckel
    last year

Basically, all of us are affirming ALL of your options! We like what you have chosen. So…trust yourself. I just want to see the result! What speaks to you? Once you make the decision on grass cloth color…natural or blue…the rest will fall into place for you. And your choices are spot on. Just promise to post what you have chosen so that we can all “Ohhhhhh….!” Or “Awwwww…!” You posted here for input. You got it! But it is all affirmative, my dear! GO!

Coastal Elegance thanked ptreckel
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Hi there I am a little late to this party as usual.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices but I don't care for the last PJ wallpaper you shared that has both blue and tan. I think it looks a little too rustic? Busy?

In regards to the bedside chests. The blue one you show is a S & L and it is covered in blue grasscloth. My point here is grass cloth walls + grasscloth chests. May be a bit too much.

The bed is going to stand out more against the blue.

Your wall is long. Are the wood bedside tables you shared large enough?

The Heppelwhite chests. Timeless. Good sized. What about their height? Are they going to be too hight for bedside chests? What shape are they in? Do you like them? Love them?

Depending on what shape they're in you could have them lacquered and updated like we did here

That said if they are in good condition I wouldnt touch them. Again TIMELESS.

But you have to love them.

You also have to decide how much influence the current trends and vibes are going influence your design. You mention that you hated your last room for ten years. Lets say you get your room done and 5 years down the line you suddenly hate elements of it. Which elements are going to be the easiest and most affordable to change?

Along those same thoughts are you a blue person? Or is it something you have suddenly fallen in love with because its everywhere now? Grasscloth wallpaper isnt cheap and wallpaper in general is expensive to switch out. Will you love the blue in 5 years?

Easier changes

bedding

lighting

area rugs

I know that a lot of yournger families I work with panic at the thought of a vintage or antique piece. They want new. But I played around to show you that you can combine some more updated lighting choices to make a room with Heppelwhite chests feel fresh.

Whch do you prefer blue or Natural?

Coastal Elegance thanked Design Interior South
  • Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

Wow!

Jan I love that room. I wonder if I Could do the table & 2chairs near our window? Thanks for confirming that the small patterned paper is better left for something or someone else.

Jilly that photo really makes me like the blue with the dark wood.

Home Interiors the neutral does seem relaxing.

Design Interior South thank you for those visuals. they made me wonder if i go neutral if i should look at a slightly different neutral grasscloth. There is something about the color of that one im not loving. or is that one you just created?

About the chests from my mom. They are old, but they are in excellent shape. I would not paint them. They have been around for a lomg time. i think they may have been my grandmas before my mom, not sure but i cant remember them not being there. In fact my hesitancy in taking them is that they might get ruined by us setting things on them nightly/daily.

last night i went to bed thinking im going to get the chests from my mom and do the blue paper. This morning i logged back on here and im now leaning towards the natural paper but maybe i have to look at shades of natural again.

• ptreckel
    last year

Have glass cut to fit the tops of your nightstands if you wish to protect them from wear and tear! If you love them, use them.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

This is why I'm not for rushing. I get that you never got around to the dream bedroom. I completely understand, and you deserve the space that makes you sigh when you enter.

Truthfully? I'd get the floors in. That's the BIG priority. Get your bed in there......pick a rug you Absolutely love. Make certain it's the right size.

Now......paint is cheap, relatively. You're not going to need eight years to the "sigh" room. You might need eight MONTHS. I'm not saying don't paper it ever. I'm saying.....paper on those walls is a two day disruption, not a dynamite blasting of your room. You'll survive it!

There's an old saying, not mine, but a favorite. "Decorate in haste, REPENT at leisure".

At this moment? You like quite a lot. You have a touch of ambivalence. That's telling you what to do. Hold off.......just a bit.: )

• Jilly
    last year

I just wanted to show a variety of looks with blue because it’s harder to find good ones, especially with more traditional furniture, and I knew you’d get plenty of examples of a more neutral look from others.

A natural color could certainly look wonderful, as well as be the safest and easiest to decorate around.

These are all nice naturals:

• Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

I found this and although im not a fan ofthe beddding i do love theoverall feel of it. i like the blue curtains . i was planning on white but the blue is pretty against the tan grasscloth. i love this grasscloth whish iknew whichit was.

Master Bedroom Oasis · More Info

• Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

Im mortified over my typos. im on an ipad and not doing so well eeek!

• Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

Jan the flooring will be done before we move in.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Love that room..yes a soft blue for drapes would be so pretty!…I just recently used furniture pieces we had in our last home..we moved this past March and plan on having my mother slowly move in with us..so wanted her room to be calm and inviting and of course add in her love for blue!..kept everything neutral and added small dose of color.

• Jilly
    last year

Lovely room.

She doesn’t give the name of the grasscloth, but lists it as gray, not tan:

Close-up:

• Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

Hmmm well i dont want gray. it looked tan to me . thanks

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

No clue why........ but the paler beige neutrals are getting harder and harder to find. Thibault? Most are "quantity limited" !!!

I'd order samples Phillip Jeffries. Super quality.

I've gone through miles and miles of PJ.

Most are in stock.

You really can't select online, you need a memo sample.

Coastal Elegance thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Coastal Elegance thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

My moms home away from home…need to hang the wall art but it is ready for her to move in!

• Jilly
    last year

Jan, those are great choices. Now I want to do my bedroom in Juicy Jute. Love the color, love the name. :D

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Don't forget about that tray ceiling. I would also consider that with the blue grasscloth, the room could be considerably darker.

You could do grasscloth on the tray.....or natural grasscloth on the walls and paint the tray blue.

Coastal Elegance thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • Jilly
    last year

CDR, love those ideas. So beautiful.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

We just removed grasscloth from my husband den it was sisal beige color looked very golden..so happy it is gone…maybe search for ivory or taupe mixes so it is not so yellow…more neutral.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Yes, the ceiling is the forgotten 5th wall.

• Ida
    last year

The golden hued grasscloth is lovely! Too bad it didn't work in your space, HIwE, but you clearly love the grayed tones.

The blue grasscloth on the ceiling is divine!

• kjoy1
    last year

I enjoy a neutral coastal theme as well. Instead of wallpaper I think I would spend my money on some woven wood blinds that match your new flooring…paired with some great curtains. I know tongue and groove ceilings are trendy right now but because you want to lean coastal it might be a nice touch. I imagine it super shiny.

Coastal Elegance thanked kjoy1
  • Molly
    last year

I love both color options and am just following along to see how pretty the room turns out. I do think the furniture will show up better against the blue and agree with DIS about maybe the nightstand in grasscloth is to much of a good thing. Brown furniture as it's called is now back in style too so the antique pieces will be a nice fit.

Coastal Elegance thanked Molly
  • Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

I ordered the other PJ wallpaper samples. Thankyou Jan.

if i have grasscloth on the walls in neutral would it be too much to have blue grass cloth on the ceiling too?

i wasnt sure so i also ordered these lighter blue samples. the original blue seemed bold to me for a ceiling but maybe not.

Jan you mentioning me getting a rug first triggered a thought that a rugs first will make choosing the wallapperr color easier , yes? I have had two rugs in mind for months and when i went on the site again i discovered they are on sale!

would you do the neutral or do the one that has the blue in it? i likely will do blue curtains.

i want to get the rug ordered so when i have all the wallpaper samples here i can check the color against the rug.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

No. Grasscloth on either ceiling or walls. Not both.

I think the blue on the ceiling is much more interesting than on the walls. It could be overwhelming.

Rug: the blue one you are showing looks purple.

All choices affect other choices and cannot be made in isolation.

Best to find a few photos you love and not mimic them exactly but use as your inspiration.

If choosing grasscloth on ceiling, I would switch the fan to something minimalist or add a chandelier.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Let either the walls or the ceiling have grasscloth, not both. Its going to be a feature in the space. Stick with it on your walls. If you want a blue ceiling just have it painted. A hint of blue may be all you need. Are you keeping the fan? I would replace it if you can with a beautiful light.

Getting the rug down before choosing that wallpaper color is a good plan. Either could work wonderfully. I am partial to the neutral with the touches of blue. That said will blue always be in this room? Right now you have the opportunity to set it up so you can change your accent color to anything you please (pretty much) over the years.

What other furniture will go in the room beside the bed and the bedisde chests? Dresser? Bench? Chairs? Desk?

Do you have a floor plan? Can you share a drawing with measurements?

• Jilly
    last year

Beautiful, Jan. Warm and very inviting, with personality, while still having a light quality. Nice amount of contrast.

Love the bench, and much prefer the more interesting blue rug.

• njmomma
    last year

Wow! You have gotten some really beautiful mood board options to choose from. Can’t go wrong with either one of them. Can’t wait to see which one you choose.

• Molly
    last year

Coastal do you have a picture of your bedding? You said it was an investment and not changing.

• Coastal Elegance
    Original Author
    last year

i have to make this quick......kids and supper!

the room is 19’11” by 16’6”

links to rugs

https://www.serenaandlily.com/eastview-hand-knotted-rug/blue%2Fmulti/m12814.html?size=11%27%20x%2014%27&color=Blue%2Fmulti&searchCategory=All%20Rugs

https://www.serenaandlily.com/elmwood-rug/m14255.html

this is my existing bedding but in the white on white

https://www.matouk.com/styles/bed/meridian

and i currently have this quilt ,not sure which of these two colors i have . mine doesntseem as yellow as the lighter one but it doesnt seem as dark as the darker one.

And i have these shams

And these pillows

The shams and pillow are going to the guest room or going away not sure which dont love them as much as when i got them. As you can see my former home was very neutral.

also Design Interior South was this the chandelier you put in the rooms.

? i searched and this was what i came up with. I really like it.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Yes , it is the Talia Chandelier by Visual Comfort. It comes in about 13 different sizes. I am guessing you have a 10' ceiling. The nice thing about it is its not overly tall 23-24" or so and the chain will allow you to make sure it can be adjusted correctly for your bed height with the posts and canopy rails.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Hi. I'll give you the advice I give to anyone starting a project. Start with an ideabook. This the part of the process I go through with every client. (In addition to a questionnaire).

You do have one ideabook with 89 photos. That is great!. Now, take the bedroom ones you like and copy them to a master bed ideabook.

Eliminate those you don't like. Any you do like, type under them what you like about them, even if it is one item. "I like the chandelier".

Finally move to the top the ones you like best and write that under them. Now, you have a better plan.

Then, create a mood board. You can start with items that for sure will be going in the space. Example: the bed, mom's chests. Make sure you have a good balance of colors and not a lot of small patterns. As Jan said, too many small patterns do not evoke elegance and calm (I am paraphrasing).

You just stated something that takes me back to my first comment on here..

"Hi. I too, encourage my clients to go neutral with larger priced/permanent items.

UNLESS: you know you will love this color forever, OR you have unlimited time and funds to make changes when you do tire of the color.

If you are not concerned about choosing colors for more permanent fixtures, then I think your choices are great.

For most people, though, buying natural grasscloth would be the way to go. You can always add color with bedding, pillows and accents."

.......and you just wrote

"The shams and pillow are going to the guest room or going away not sure which don't love them as much as when i got them. As you can see my former home was very neutral."

So, plan on, if you commit to a lot of blue in more permanent fixtures, changing them out in a few years when you tire of them. Again, if you like spending the time doing that and you have the funds to do it, perfectly fine. But, just know that most people are not in that category. I don't know about you.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

" As you can see, my first home was very neutral"..........

So no issue, you're adding a dollop of blue!!! an accent! It isn't one or the other, and it's again...good when it remains weighted to one or the other of the two colors.

I think you are far, far over paying for a rug from Serena and Lily. They make nothing in rugs, they're the middleman and priced to match. They sell you a story in every way, with great pictorial marketing and catalogue images.

Check Perigold

Two below with PJ paper from up above.

I can tell you when I'd cough up nearly 7k to Serena for a rug........and it's this side of NEVER.: )

Rugs? Oushak new " antique weaves" especially, are best seen in person. : ) But even a sample from Serena, is NO guarantee of an exact dye lot . I'd sure rather deal with Perigold or other for a return.

That much I DO know....and too well.

I grew up in a rug family. ....I have a relationship with a serious dealer too. It is simple fact, that ALL of these ( the new antique, that followed eons of nobody wants red/blue/ or green /spice lol ) medallions, or formal )

are priced by the square foot , literally to the inches at approximately

35.00 per. Meaning at 10 x 14? Fair is not much more than 4900.00.........and the Houzz below same thing - 180 sq feet and 6300.00, and very fair.

Serena? 48.00 per sq foot.................: (

Another..............on Houzz, with a snip and same wallpaper and full size is even better size @ 12 x 15

Antique Weave Oushak Hand-Knotted Wool Blue/Ivory Area Rug, 12'x15' · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/antique-weave-oushak-hand-knotted-wool-blue-ivory-area-rug-12-x15-prvw-vr~49417298?m_refid=PLA_HZ_49417298_18195546150&device=c&nw=x&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2-2eBhClARIsAGLQ2Rme8OT0wSZI7V8DLHJT1wmgkE63Ui7p9CO9K7PMZiGJ1koRUNdHHVUaAka6EALw_wcB

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Correct. Blue accents are a different commitment from blue grasscloth in a huge bedroom.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Ditto that : ) CDR !

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Coastal the bedding you have is lovely.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Beautiful

• Molly
    last year

Loom and Company has some pretty rugs. Here are a few examples. https://theloomandcompany.com/collections/quick-ship-oushaks

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

If you can wait?? (90 to 120 days? )

Loom 12 x 15 ( 4660.00 ) with PJ Juicy Jute flax

REALLY a lovely size in a 16'5 x almost 20' extra large bedroom.

And here again, the one on Houzz also 12 x 15

with same PJ

Seems no mistake there, either!

Side by side w/Serena next

And may be just me, but I can see that rug feeling busy over a large space, and it isn't in the end...our very BEST size

I like Loom and Houzz, better : )

• ptreckel
    last year

LOVE the Loom rugs! Thanks for those posts. Yummy colors and patterns. Also, check out Annie Selke for rugs. A number of their large wool (not cotton) rugs, Dash and Albert, etc. are on sale right now. You might find something interesting there, too. But Loom??? Gorgeous!