SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soisth_m

what kind of closure should we put here?

Soisth M
last year

This is our dining room which is part office/exercise and music room. We need to install a door or some kind of closure in this area for work privacy because soon work is going get ‘serious’. I don’t like barn doors so that’s out. But something that will keep outside noise out since this area is next to the kitchen and give privacy for concentration.

Thanks

Comments (47)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Eliminate ONE of the functions. Work is "going to get serious"? When has it never been anything but that?! If you're working from home, need a good zoom background? That should be considered as well. Sound? You need a rug - which will compensate hard surfaces of floor and window glass.

You don't just "add a door".......even a six foot set of french doors, whether glass or solid will need some drywall and framing , as that's quite an open space.

Draw the room......decide what MUST remain in the space. Piano or workout? : )

• Related Discussions

What should I put here ?

Q

Comments (2)
    What I think you need is moving the shrub to line up with the window (don't plant too close), a small tree (it would need to go in a bed farther from the garage), a perennial along the house corner and low groundcover filling in the areas near walk. If any way possible you should widen the walk, especially where it connects to drive.
    ...See More

What what WHAT kind of table do I put here?

Q

Comments (64)
    This is a lovely room! In a small space continuity is important. Before you add or paint anything else, paint the daybed and both chairs a dark brown, British Colonial as mentioned above. This way you can add the color you want here and there. The table in front of the daybed needs to be higher, like a tea table height. Use the chest on the side. To make the daybed more comfy, add old fashioned wedge pillows across the back and then the big pillows on top. They are the best support and you won't even see them. https://www.amazon.com/Bolster-Replacement-Insert-Cushion-Perfect/dp/B011CZWYT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542001435&sr=8-3&keywords=wedge+daybed+pillow&dpID=41J6VtPqM6L&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch
    ...See More

What should I put here?

Q

Comments (20)
    Think of it as a functional space, not just a space for accessories. Large bowls are a good idea, or pitchers. Anything fairly large that you use and can easily pull out when needed. You could also look for baskets that fit the shelves so you could use it for smaller items like placements and napkins.
    ...See More

What kind of wall art should I put on this big wall?

Q

Comments (14)
    @Ann Marie Thanks for the suggestion! I will look there. I'm a little partial to painted art rather than photography, but I'll see what they have. @lindac92 That sounds like good advice! How would the need for a lamp change what art would go in that space? I have no idea how to think about that at all. But you're right, probably I would want a table lamp there. I know from browsing around that sometimes art just goes behind a lamp, which honestly feels weird to me, but maybe it's fine. But I'm not sure how that changes what I would want to put on the wall there. @threers Thanks for the advice! I can assure you that I will most definitely only get art I love. If I'm going to look at it every day, it had better make me happy! But I would also like it to match the rest of the room if I can possibly arrange it. :) @Patricia Colwell I actually was originally thinking of having two couches (which I think may have the result of another comment of yours in another thread), but the problem is that I can't seem to make it work with our TV placement. I definitely want a couch to face the TV, and then the only real arrangement that works is to have an L-shaped arrangement. And if I'm going to have that, well, I have always liked couches with corners, so that's how I arrived at a sectional. But I'm open to other alternatives - I just don't know of any good ones. :)
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    last year

Actually both work and piano practice can be serious. Nobody said the two went on simultaneously

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

Exactly......... but conflicts arise if those kids are taking piano lessons:) and that turns out to be a zoom emergency from work......

• worthy
    last year

Consider fixed and movable glass doors, so the sense of space is retained. This has, of course, to be balanced against the amount of privacy and sound separation you require. Note: no extra framing and drywall needed.

• kandrewspa
    last year

When we moved into our current house three years ago there was a nice large room appropriate for a home office that had a 48" opening to the family room. We're empty-nesters so we did not have a lot of concerns about noise, but we still put in solid wood double doors so DH didn't have to worry about how much noise he was making while I was working. The opening you have as Jan says is pretty wide. You could fill it with a combination of a French door and fixed glass on either side, or if you want solid doors you will have to change the opening size. I think you'll find 72" to be the largest size standard (off the shelf) double door available. Of course anything can be done given enough money.

Glass doors and transoms divide the space but keep the rooms light and bright · More Info

• Soisth M
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone….So the situation is this. Two of our kids now share a room because my husband uses one of the bedrooms as his office. Now that they’re almost teens and we want to give them their own space, my husband (grudgingly) is giving up the bedroom as his office and moving to the space in question.
    Workout area will be moved but piano will stay and the kids can practice before he gets home from work (on the days he’s not doing work from home).
    He’s not keen on fenece doors (I love them) and doesn’t mind drywall etc… to get some closure so he can focus and k his research. We have three kids so it gets loud here

• LH CO/FL
    last year

For any type of sound isolation, you'll need solid-core doors and a true threshold to seal around the door. Any air gap is going to allow sound to pass through, so think threshold, door sweep and weatherstripping.

• partim
    last year

Looks like you already have a door into the kitchen. Can you duplicate that in this space, after closing off the opening somewhat?

This room will never be as sound-proof as a bedroom tucked away from the living areas of the house, irrespective of whatever renovations you do. Noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds would help a lot. They are effective and can be very comfortable. Even the best quality ones are inexpensive compared to home renovations.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Cancel noise?

You Bet! I have these and I can tell you an ambulance w/siren blaring could drive into your foyer, and you'd be UN aware : )

I use them to cancel the grunter guys, hideous rapper music at my gym....drives me nuts.

Excellent reception too. Bliss

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FD5TFXL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

• partim
    last year

French doors would be the most natural choice for an opening in this space, but as already pointed out they don't have the soundproofing of a more solid door. If his objection is the lack of visual privacy, you could add portieres to the French doors from the inside.

• rrah
    last year

Frankly I don' think glass French doors will provide the kind of quiet he seems to want. Solid doors would be better.

Where will the exercise equipment move? Could his office be located there instead? Even if it's an unfinished basement, it would provide more privacy and quiet. He can always change the background image for calls. Even a space tucked away in the master bedroom might be a better option if the house is loud.

Finally, it sounds as if the children are in school for much of the work day. There is nothing wrong with teaching them that they need to keep the noise down for a couple of hours after school. My children grew up with a father that worked from home. Even with his own office space he let us all know if he had a call after they got home from school or needed extra quiet. It gave them time to go outside or do their own homework or just read. As teens or soon to be teens they should be part of the solution.

• lharpie
    last year

I’d want french doors there. closing it off and putting in a solid door would achieve quietness better but not so great for resale… i think this is why many people i know end up with desk in bedroom. sad sad, but more quiet.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Op Words......

"Two of our kids now share a room because my husband uses one of the bedrooms as his office. Now that they’re almost teens and we want to give them their own space, my husband (grudgingly) is giving up the bedroom as his office and moving to the space in question."

Key word: Grudgingly

Other key words: Almost teens.

One more: We

Okay. I'll assume two boys, or two girls are sharing a bedroom. Is sharing a room the end of the world? I hope not, because my two sisters shared until I moved out. Meaning they shared for about 16 years. Dad has to bring home the bacon they eat. Did they beg a separate room? Or the "we" is you? I only ask because of the first key word...........the g word.

On the other hand? Teens ( meaning 14, 15, 16, 17 ) generally retreat to their bedroom and bring f.r.i.e.n.d.s and I fail to see how upstairs will remain a really quiet space . Spell giggle, Instagram selfies, and lord knows what else. They use their rooms to be away from you and siblings.

For now? If only because the potential space doesn't LOOK all that attractive, I'd add double doors matching the rest in your home, no glass. They needn't have sweeps, weather stripping etc. Just good old drywall to close up the wide passage and a set of 5' or 6' doors. Let him try it a couple weeks.

....................and unless it is perfectly great? Table the entire concept for a while. The kids won't die in the next six months, or a year....from sharing.

Meanwhile? You will have an "excuse" to make a nicer looking space at your entry. : )

Tell DH doors of any variety, can be ajar, open, closed, DO have potential for future removal. Could be just me, but I see a lot of potential in these two spots...........

for a lovely grown up space, that doesn't deny children a single thing.

Pick the special of the artwork, frame and relocate to the piano space....!! Put the piano on the far back wall.... get storage consolidated on long wall where piano was.

I assume the set up is left over from Pandemic school closings. If yes and they are back in? Adjust and take back your space.

• Olychick
    last year

If you use glass doors with double panes, it will be just as quiet as any room with windows. All of our homes have windows and they keep sounds from the outside from intruding too much, so glass doesn't necessarily mean the room will be noisy. If you can afford it, you could even do triple pane for more noise control. Wood frames, not aluminum.

If your husband will need visual privacy while working, you can also install draperies that can be drawn when needed. They will also provide a bit of sound insulation. Be sure to add a rug to the space for more sound absorption.

• Lorraine Leroux
    last year

Closing it off will give you a great opportunity for a foyer as well as total privacy in the office and a great full wall for bookcases etc.. I would close it right off with a wall. If you need closet space in the foyer this would also be a good place to create a closet.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

French doors can be handsome but I think in your situation that double-doors of solid wood are more appropriate, both for privacy and sound blocking. Obviously the opening will need reframed to a smaller size.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Since the kids are gaining their own bedrooms, they can go up to their rooms and do homework, read, or put headphones on to listen to music, watch videos, etc. Do you have a basement that can be set up as a family room for summer and times when school is out? I don’t think you will get total silence for Dad, but no commercial office space is totally silent either - there is always background noise of people moving around, conversations, traffic, phones, printers, etc. You can plan easy prep meals on days Dad is home so there is not much noise from the kitchen too.

• Soisth M
    Original Author
    last year

Wow! Thank you all for your suggestions!
    I sure appreciate it.
    Our home is a one story - with only a media room upstate (it has no bathroom or closet, just a stairway leading to that media room). It’s currently a dumping ground of toys, luggage, things we don’t want downstairs. No one likes that room because it only has a tiny window so pretty much no natural light. My plan is to make that a kids hangout place with a foosball table one of these days so when their friends come they can play games there etc… but NOT a study room. The kids don’t have phone and won’t be getting one soon! I’m adamant!

We don’t have a basement.
    Workout equipment will go to our master bedroom.

I was not a proponent for the girls to split - but the truth is the room they share is small (one closet) and their study desk that’s also in the room makes it so that there’s hardly any space to walk around. And as you know these soon to be teens can be so messy!!! So on those messy days it gets stuffy and pretty bad in there. And heaven knows the arguments that are ensuing these days. so I said fine! Just get your own rooms!

Now !! We also have a 4 year old boy :-) who does have his own room but he sleeps earlier than the rest of us and I think he’s still too little to share his space with an office or gym. So that why he’s being left out of the conversations.

Husband doesn’t want office in the master bed (the truth is I don’t either).

Thanks again!

• nickel_kg
    last year

You didn't ask, but: media room upstairs with almost no natural light ... maybe it would be a more attractive space with a couple of solar tubes? they bring in a lot of light, and if I understand correctly, are less prone to leaks and such than traditional sky lights.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I would completely drywall it off…you will gain a nice foyer wall for a console and mirror..very pretty…only one entrance is needed..it will be very functionally and give you the quiet needed for a home office/piano practice room.

• LH CO/FL
    last year

" If you use glass doors with double panes, it will be just as quiet as any room with windows. All of our homes have windows and they keep sounds from the outside from intruding too much, so glass doesn't necessarily mean the room will be noisy. If you can afford it, you could even do triple pane for more noise control. Wood frames, not aluminum. "

It's not the glass that's the issue, it's the air spaces around the glass. Exterior windows are sealed, caulked and have weatherstripping to prevent air from passing around the glass. Sure, my recording studios all have glass windows between the studio and control room, but they were also sealed completely. Glass doors are fine, but would need a lot of things to prevent sound transfer around the glass.

• olychick
    last year

Many homes have exterior glass or French doors that don’t have the problems you state. Interior doors of any kind have gaps at the bottom yet we all manage to have quiet spaces.

• einportlandor
    last year

The problem with french doors (which I love) is that they provide no visual privacy. If your husband is the kind of guy who keeps a neat office with everything filed away in lovely cabinetry and wallpaper-covered boxes, then glass doors are ok. But if he's like most of us, our office spaces often sport multliple computer monitors, cords, piles of papers, books, and office supplies. You could frost the door glass but then what's the point? As others have said I'd be inclined to either wall the whole thing off or find some beautiful solid wood doors that complement the windows and doors elsewhere in the house (the latter if he has visiting clients or colleagues).

• PRO
  • partim
    last year

I guess your husband has the luxury of a quiet place to think at his workplace. Shortly before I retired our whole workplace went open concept. Not even cubicles, just rows of desks with "hotelling" to get a spot every morning. Even the senior execs had no offices, and there were not nearly enough breakout rooms for meetings or confidential telephone calls. It was a noisy nightmare. We all wore headphones or ear plugs for a little peace. A house with 3 noisy children would have been a quiet haven in comparison.

• elcieg
    last year

Two kids are sharing a room and you think that each should have a room of their own. Agree with you.

This means hubby will have to move his office. But he has his main office at work. Any extra space in your home is a bonus for him. The room which has a tiny window and not a lot natural light is perfect for your husband. He will be working at night

Now is the time your children should have what they need, age appropriate. This is their time to grow.

And that room you post, move the spinet to the short wall, and make it a musical dining room.

• Fori
    last year

French doors with curtains for privacy and put the girls in there? Sharing a room isn't as bad if it's a huge room. :P

• Jennifer K
    last year

If "nobody likes upstairs", because it has no natural light, it sounds like a perfect night-time office for hubby. This should be an easy sell. And if it's big enough, the exercise equipment can go there too-- no windows just like a regular gym.

What are the dimensions?

• Newideas
    last year

Agree w @JenniferK Clear out the upstairs room and make it a private office space. Will also save you thousands of dollars on interior work to add doors or walled off area. Invest in great lighting for the upstairs room instead.

• worthy
    last year

Consider moving to a more appropriately-sized home.

• dan1888
    last year

Ask your husband what changes to the media room would he like to make it OK as his office. Mention skylights and solar tubes. Box everything up and clear it out completely before you mention it. Then bring him op and ask.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

"

(it has no bathroom or closet, just a stairway leading to that media room). It’s currently a dumping ground of toys, luggage, things we don’t want downstairs. No one likes that room because it only has a tiny window so pretty much no natural light. My plan is to make that a kids hangout place with a foosball table one of these days so when their friends come they can play games there etc…"

Draw and measure what is now....... the junk space bonus space. Electricity solves multiple issues of "darkness" . Appropriate furnishings as well.

Do a scale drawing, add feet and inches, note any window size etc.

For the moment, nobody will die without a foozeball table. If no one likes the room? Why are there toys up there? Like it will have more light with a game table? ( Usually a waste btw, and quickly outgrown) There's no closet? They are cheap to create! DH likes "up" versus down?

Seems you need to pick a poison or move.

• palimpsest
    last year

Consider moving to a more appropriately-sized home is a kind of check your privilege statement. Not everyone wants or is able to do that for any number of reasons.

I don't know if this is really an issue of size as much as what is apportioned for what purpose. It sounds to me like figuring out what to use that upstairs room for is the best bet, and that could be the office.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

We all know no move is necessary ! What IS necessary is to re think the options - get MOST of what you want versus an unattainable perfection. Even the most privileged run up against obstacles in a home! Re purpose, adjust, within resources is the only answer.

• einportlandor
    last year

Jeeze people, the OP asked for opinions about installing doors, not how to manage their familial relationships or finances! Take a breath!

• Soisth M
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all very much!
    A no, a move is not an option.

Husband refuses to go upstairs - but while he’s out in his office I will be using the space to study as I’m in school right now. So an office space in the area in question is what the ultimate goal is.

I don’t like the idea of a wall closing off the area. So we will likely put in doors and try as much as possible to sound proof. There is still a small door that comes into the kitchen area so that needs to be dealt with as well.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Rug, curtains, doors. An office isn't church, temple, or mosque. When engrossed in work or study from home? Most people learn quite quickly to tune out ordinary background noise.

The type of silence you seek is quite unattainable in any office anywhere......and in any location, other than a remote farm. Street noise, sirens, talking..... the mail man, the UPS guy buzzing. ....children at play outside.

You are seeking a silent nirvana that will not exist in any home, nor in any office. Even a library in town has comings and goings and low voices. It's life : )

• einportlandor
    last year

I don't recall the OP seeking a cathedral-like environment. Did I miss something?

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Sounds like the item you need to change is the husband. LOLOL (it’s a joke people)

• Soisth M
    Original Author
    last year

Hehe nooo!!
    he’s a keeper!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Cathedrals aren't quiet by nature? To the extreme ?: ) That's exactly what she's seeking.

• palimpsest
    last year

Do you think your husband would also be helped by a white noise machine? I find one helpful.

• partim
    last year

As I said before, noise-cancelling headphones or ear buds will help a lot.

• olychick
    last year

“Cathedrals aren’t quiet by nature? To the extreme ?: ) That's exactly what she's seeking.” Hyperbole much? She never stated anything even close to that. What a rude and unhelpful comment.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

She HAS DEFINITELY been seeking a very very very quiet space, as has her DH....

and No, it was not rude. It is statement of fact. Cathedrals and all places of worship, and public libraries, are defined by quietude.

Maybe you should read all her posts, within the thread.

• olychick
    last year

Rude and dismissive of her desire for it to be quiet. I’ve read eveey post frim the beginning.