SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmssmith

Advice on Support Walls for a Steel/Glass Partition System

CSmith
last year

To set the scene: We are doing a new build with a very industrial vibe. We both work from home and designed a very large office/co-working space on our main living area. We want the exterior office walls that connect to the rest of the living space in the house to be made of steel and glass. Ideally this is supposed to be a u-shaped 3 ball "cube" kinda look, however, we have to deal with these support "fins" that come out from each corner into the hallway. Which they make for a nice little seating area in the hallway, we aren't exactly sure how to finish them without them looking terrible.

I have a few ideas, but would love some design advice before I pull the trigger. It's obviously an expensive feature of the house, so I don't wanna screw it up and those fins are just driving me bananas. Should we replace them with steel support posts (husband doesn't like that idea), wrap them in something to match bottom of partitions, paint them, move the long wall out to match them and then kill our hallway lounge area... or a better idea?

The following images, in order, are our floor plan, inspiration picture from a co-working space we love, current framing image, and a sketch in Procreate I illustrated of what we are considering. That sketch only works if we wrap the drop in a material that matches the bottom 30" of the partitions.

To Note: Ceiling height is ~9'7", steel/glass frame will be about 8' hight and we have framing drops down to 8' that will be drywalled and then either painted or wrapped to match. Drops cannot be removed per engineering. If we wrap the fins, we need to wrap the header drops.

TIA.

Comment (1)