SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_432900512

question about dual-tone countertops

Amy R
last year
last modified: last year

Hello -

I am rebuilding a small home lost to wildfire and in our kitchen/great room we are using Waypoint Painted Linen narrow rail shaker cabinets, Aquarius Country Taupe vinyl plank flooring (https://www.medallion1.com/product/waterproof-lvt-aquarius-7-country-taupe/), and a creamy white engineered quartz countertop speckled with gray. It is an open space with vaulted ceilings and I am concerned it will feel too cool and bright - floor plan attached. The floor especially is lighter and more cool gray in person than it looks online.

I am considering going for a different countertop color over the island in order to bring some warmth and weight to the design. I would love a butcher block for the island, but we have decided against it for cost and maintenance issues. So I am leaning towards a slab called "Shadow Gray" that is a dark concrete gray with brown tones in it.

a) What do people with kitchen design experience think of this idea?

b) I have also seen lots of photos of two-tone countertop kitchens with the darker color around the edges and the white/lighter color on the island. Given our floorplan, what seems like it will work better?

Thank you!

Comments (5)