SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cparent79

Dining room wallpaper decisions

Chris
last year

Hi everyone, I’m trying to figure out what to do with the wallpaper in this dining room. The table and lighting are here to stay. We’ve painted the entire main level Chantilly white and the doors are tricorn black. I’m waiting to pull the trigger on a buffet/server. The wallpaper is really nice but starting to feel dated. I can either play it down with a cool rug and artwork on the walls or. … call me crazy…. Paint the wallpaper. I’m trying to avoid stripping the paper as a last resort, because it’s just a pain in the rear.

Thoughts ? Opinions?

Thanks

Comments (30)

• Rho Dodendron
    last year

You CAN paint the wallpaper. You can also damage the wall. That wallpaper is more timeless than the tray ceiling.

• chispa
    last year

Just remove it the right way and then paint the wall. Don't be lazy!

• Molly
    last year

Remove the wall paper now because it will be MUCH more difficult after its painted. Also if it was hung right, remova removal isn’t all that difficult, just time consuming

• L.D. Johnson
    last year

The wallpaper is pretty, but IMO doesn't go well with the furniture and light you plan to keep.

You MIGHT get away with painting over it, but you MIGHT very well create a bigger headache.

It's a very visible room - i'd take the time to remove the paper first.

• Chris
    Original Author
    last year

I am being lazy :) I’m happy to keep it if I can work with it. Just dont know what colors I would coordinate with it. Decisions decisions.

• Chris
    Original Author
    last year

Ok. I think all the feedback here has confirmed what I already new and that is to drop the paper. I do like the paper but it just doesn’t go with the rest of the house.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

The wallpaper complements the architecture of the room better than the furnishings and rug that have been placed in the room.

• jackowskib
    last year

I agree the wallpaper is beautiful but does not play nice with your decor. If you're wanting to keep the wallpaper then consider changing the rug and reupholstering the seats to a gold and black pattern. Possible rug to consider to lighten up the space.

• Chris
    Original Author
    last year

The rug is definelty bring replaced. It was only a there temporarily as we moved in. I’m either going to swap out the paper for paint or new paper and paint the tray a different color depending on the walls.

• arcy_gw
    last year

It's sort of a cardinal rule to never paint wall paper. It creates a less penatrable surface for when the next person wants to paper/paint. Some have had to just put new drywall over the entire mess when finding painted wall paper. I agree given the other quality aspects of that room I would assume it's very good, heavy paper and it was applied properly. It will no doubt peel off in large sheets. Unfortunately that's the easy part. If you intend to then paint--there is a bucket full of glue that needs to be scraped and scraped and scraped off again. I used a plastic dough cutter. I am not one that prefers a darker moodier dinning room so I think removal and a lighter happier paper could be found.

• ilikefriday
    last year

If this were my house I would try removing the wallpaper. If that turned out to be too difficult, I would apply a thick wallpaper liner on top of the existing wallpaper and then wallpaper on top of that.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

The wallpaper is, as someone else posted, timeless and IMO works well with the flooring. So, I might suggest leaving it and changing our the rug and the dining table and chairs.

• sofikbr
    last year

I would just change furniture and rug… and paint tray ceiling same color as rest of ceiling.

• Chris
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. As I mentioned in the original post, dining set is remaining so is the light. The rug is going away.

We had the dining set custom made for our previous home. It was quite an investment and has sentimental value. That part is non-negotiable.

• kempek01
    last year

If you paint the tray ceiling and change out the rug, then you can add some art to the wall that will help bridge the traditional architecture to the more contemporary lighting. The dining table and chairs are fine. How you set the table will also make a difference in the feel of the room (but don't leave it set all the time!)

• freedomplace1
    last year
    last modified: last year

Change of rug could tie things together. The wallpaper is beautiful. https://incrediblerugsanddecor.com/products/loloi-elsa-ef-06-copper-area-rug

• kandrewspa
    last year

I would change the ceiling before removing the wallpaper. As other commenters have said, a new rug and art can help the wallpaper make sense, but the ceiling treatment is never going to make sense.

• Maureen
    last year

The problem with the paper is its formality and no matter what accessories are added, it will still fight with your dining set.

From someone who removed 5 rooms of paper when we moved in, you never know how easy or difficult removal will be. It will be worth it though; just be patient and spread out if need be.

Painting ceiling will have a big influence and don’t purchase anything until you have a plan and color scheme. Suggest painting entire wall the same, which will feel more modern. Look at lots of inspiration pictures; after all your hard work you want to love the room. It really comes down to your taste and to connect with adjoining spaces.

• Kate
    last year

Most newer wallpaper is very stippable and comes off in sheets. Your paint job will never look good if you don’t remove that paper. And your dinning room furniture will never look good with that wallpaper. Just bite the bullet and take it down, what else you gotta do:). P.S. don’t forget to was those walls with hot water and dawn to get all the paste off before painting.

• Jilly
    last year

Lots of great suggestions here.

Me? I’d play the heck up out of that fabulous wallpaper and make it look intentional. It’s a wonderful backdrop and your table is perfectly fine with it.

You could have an awesome eclectic look in there — a bit of mod, some vintage glam, some traditional, taste of exotic.

The right rug, striking art, reupholster the chairs, interesting buffet … this room could be something great.

So many directions you could go. Safe and boring is not one I’d pursue here. :)

• emmarene9
    last year

I like the wallpaper and it suits the floor but not your dinning furniture. Since the table stays I think the wallpaper should go. I'd get it done before choosing the new rug. The ceiling doesn't bother me and I like the lighting with your table.

• Ida
    last year

Jill, I was hoping you had responded already! I had a feeling I knew exactly what you'd say (be afraid, be very afraid) -- and I agree with you completely.

The wallpaper is gorgeous, timeless, and elegant! I would absolutely embrace it and enhance its "rightness" by continuing to take this room in an eclectic direction. Eclectic is layered and interesting. Matching elements creates a space that makes one feel like at any minute someone is going to pop out and say, "Welcome to Homewood Suites. Will you be joining us in the morning for the self-serve continental breakfast?" You have the bones in place to create something fabulous here. Please, please keep that beautiful wallpaper and build upon it in an unexpected-yet-intentional way.

• Jilly
    last year

Ida said it much better than me. She always does. :D

• Ida
    last year

Jilly, you are much too kind, but YOU always get it right. <3

Chris, for inspirational eye candy, Google Dallas designer Javier Burkle. He has a way of uniting classic elements with the somewhat unexpected in such a beautiful way.

• Chris
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone. Too many ideas! I’m suffering from analysis paralysis. I tend to lean toward clean and crisp and contemporary as that’s what I’m comfortable and familiar with, which is also consistent with the rest of the house. Honestly, I am drawn to the idea of removing the paper and painting the walls and trim and dramatic/rich color like a green or blue. Ill play with each of these ideas and share some renderings here. I’m not in a terrible rush as I’m still painting the rest of the home interior.

• Jilly
    last year

Would love to see what you decide, lovely room!

I knew you probably wouldn’t like my ideas, and wouldn’t keep the paper, but it’s fun brainstorming anyway. :)

• Chris
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Jilly, it’s not that I don’t like it just out of my comfort zone, which isnt a bad thing. BUT, I am willing to play with it. My first option was to keep the paper and see what’s possible. I am very appreciative of all the feedback here!

• Jilly
    last year

Totally understandable!

Do what you’ll enjoy seeing; you clearly have a great sense of style.

• niccidhg
    last year

You might consider leaving the wallpaper ( beautiful, imo.) and painting the wainscoting, wood trim and ceiling a deep, rich blue or green , depending upon which rug you get. Then adding a mirror or large piece of art could make for a stunning and dramatic dining room.

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

oh goodness, please don't paint over it.

Painting over wallpaper is like glueing it down FOREVER.

it won't look nice, and anyone in the furure will have to remove the sheetrock to create a new surface.

Personally, I would keep it and paint the waiscotting/trim and doors, a bronze/gold color to compliment it.

The dining room doesn't have to match the rest of the house... make it a grand space for special dining occasions! Embrace it!