SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_elton

Between two kitchen layouts

Amanda Elton
last year
last modified: last year

I got lots of great feedback on potential layouts last week. I'm still narrowing down between two general layouts. We live in a 70s split level and the current small U-shaped layout will be opened up into the breakfast room space. Things I want to include: an island for seating for my 3 young kids and a larger opening between kitchen and dining. Husband and I both very much want the sink under the window, and I want space for cabinets for our dishes and glasses on that wall, since it is above the dishwasher. We eat in the dining room about 70% of the time and on the back deck outside the current breakfast room about 30% of the time and access to both is important.

The first option puts the fridge nearer to the back door. The downside is that the fridge is 10 feet from the sink and 11.5 feet from the range. I also feel like the fridge juts out quite a bit, which is more noticeable because it partially blocks the line of sight of one of the french doors (it is not reasonably feasible to remove or add any doors or windows). The positives are that there is less of a visual and physical barrier in the walkway from the lower level to the dining room, and space for seating behind the island is less tight. There is also space for wide drawers next to the range.

The other layout puts the fridge near the dining room. We usually get our water for meals and kids often hop up from table to run to pantry or fridge for syrup or ketchup, etc, so having that close to where we eat slightly more often is a major bonus. Sink is 10 feet from fridge, but range is close to both. This option would also be cheaper since appliances will be in the same vicinity as they are currently.

OPTION 1

OPTION 2

option1.png
option2.png

Comments (9)