SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

Guest bath tile design.

Paul f
14 days ago

Does it look awkward to have to two walls of tile separated by another color? I could paint the ceiling a complimentary shade I guess. I plan on using terrazzo on the floor and coming up the back wall of the shower. The wall tile is 1" x 4" stacked.

Comments (39)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

Yes, awkward overthink. You have at least two other threads. ........also not great.: )

• Paul f
    Original Author
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

This is the first I'm posting concerning my guest bath. May you never know the stress of losing your home to fire.

• Related Discussions

Redroze's guest bath flooring tile?

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you! I did check her blog but there is no mention of the guest bathroom floors other than the inset. Was hoping for more info about the surrounding tile?
    ...See More

How do I begin designing a tiled shower for a guest bath?--)

Q

Comments (2)
    If you have a Tile Shop store in your area, they have several vignettes in them that are great for inspiration and tile websites usually have photo galleries available. I also did a Google search for images of tiled bathrooms, thumbed thru the bathroom books available at Lowe's and did searches here in the forum using words like "finished", "new bathroom" or "done". Houzz.com is also a great source for inspiration, however in our situation, I found the designs to be unrealistic for our budget. Also, the gallery side of the forum has a lot of examples too.
    ...See More

Guest Bath Design - Please comment

Q

Comments (7)
    Of the choices on your board, I prefer the floor tile on the right and the mosaic on the left. But I'm not seeing what you've chosen for countertop and shower threshold. I would choose the floor tile that is closest in color to the countertop material. Will the mosaic continue up to the ceiling above the vanity or is it only a short backsplash? I used a similar tile for my master bathroom. I chose a small square ecru glass mosaic in the niche and repeated the glass on one wall of the shower. This wasn't the original plan. I think I would have preferred that I had used the calacatta-like porcelain on three sides of the shower, without the "glass" wall.
    ...See More

Designing 1st floor full bath used by guests

Q

Comments (3)
    What is your preferred style? Are you looking for something high end or more toward the practical side of things? What are the dimensions of the room? Location of the fixtures currently? Is this a house or condo? Here is a contemporary bath showing lots of storage, kid friendly and yet nice for guests. ^Great hidden storage behind cabinet doors for kids toys and other things. Would be nice to incorporate into the new guest/kids bathroom.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

I know that stress very well actually, from a sister who lost it all and her cat in same........horrible. Had no clue. As to bath? It already has plenty. One paint color is also plenty.: )

• ilikefriday
    14 days ago

Yes, I think it looks a bit odd. When you alternate the colors like that it reminds me of a folding card.

Paul f thanked ilikefriday
  • Paul f
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Of course you had no clue. I think being rude and dismissive is a hobby of yours. Plenty? The post is concerning the isolated wall of tile on the left and how it looks. Let's not overthink it. : )

• Paul f
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I could tile the ceiling just in the shower, really no need for it other than design.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

Great baths have one or two great elements, one or two stars in a show. After that? Your eye fights to figure it all out. You asked......you're going to get opinion. You're free to ignore it, or wait for folks to say they love it. Both will happen.....that's a guarantee, if only because it's the internet.

• A G
    14 days ago

I would probably run the wall tile on the back wall, rather than having the floor tile come up or tiling the ceiling.

i cant tell from the renderings what they grey wall tile is. personally, i like a large-ish format tile for shower walls (we have 12x24”), less grout to clean. But i know thats not a concern for everyone!

• cpartist
    14 days ago

Do the terrazzo on the floor and the other tile everywhere else.

Simple is always better especially with a contemporary design.

Paul f thanked cpartist
  • ilikefriday
    14 days ago

IMO the problem with the second rendering is that you have now created two, maybe three, focal walls. The first is the grey wall. Next is the ceiling. After that is the shower that you have made a focus with the placement of color. The color combination is fine. It is the flow of colors that is the problem.

• Paul f
    Original Author
    14 days ago

My primary bath will have the same tiles. I'm trying to do a guest bath that will relate to it. However, there is just the one small window in this one. The primary has 4 windows with one being 4'x6' I'm a little worried that although I like dark moody powder rooms having this darker tile everywhere is something I can't reverse or lighten up if I want to switch it up in the future. Maybe a wainscotting in the floor tile on this one?

• JP L
    14 days ago

If you're running the terrazzo up the wall of the shower, I'd take the wall tile all the way across the back wall too (eliminating the painted portion). If not, I'd keep the terrazzo on the floor and just to all wall tile applications in the stacked tile. For a final option, select a paint color that matches the wall tile as closely as possible to minimize the contrast on the back wall. I remember your inspiration photos (and your tile selections are awesome) - the challenge is that you're trying to translate those materials/applications in a much smaller space. Because of this, you want to simplify as much as possible. Hope this helps. Sorry to hear about your situation - I can't imagine how difficult and stressful that is. Wishing you luck with this project!

*And don't do the grey tile in the niche! Keep it to the terrazzo (or whatever tile you do on that wall).

Paul f thanked JP L
  • ilikefriday
    14 days ago

If you are concerned about reversing things later then why not paint the walls a dark color and use the lighter tile in the shower area? I love dark and moody. My powder room is painted black. Paint is easy to change. Tiled wainscoting is much more difficult to reverse. Paint can be changed on a whim. Also a bathroom full of tile covering every surface feels almost void of personality. It gives it a very cold feeling.

• Paul f
    Original Author
    14 days ago

The walls are prepped for tile. There is no going back now. The bathroom that was ripped out was white subway tile on all 4 walls to the ceiling. I was so happy to rip it out.

I forgot to add the wainscotting picture above.. here it is. In case you missed it.

Some inspiration:

• freedomplace1
    14 days ago

Very nice with the terrazzo in the shower and on the floor.

I think if you paint the walls the same color as the dark tile, it would look good. If you don’t like the dark paint, easy enough to change it. You just need good artificial lighting. Windows and natural light are great - but what about at night; or at dusk? It’s rarely realistic to rely on natural lighting in most spaces So having one window or two or three windows in a bathroom is basically inconsequential. Who only uses their bathroom in the bright daylight hours ? Dark walls can potentially make a space dark - but lighting mitigates that. Without lighting, any space can be dark - no matter what the wall color is.

You’re really creating a beautiful room. Your guests are going to love it.

Paul f thanked freedomplace1
  • JP L
    14 days ago

I forgot to add the wainscotting picture above.. here it is. In case you missed it.

Potential crazy suggestion here - but what if you took the wainscot into the shower (i.e. on all walls)? That would be much closer to your inspiration photo, and I'm kind of into it. Just don't do that contrasting tile in the niche - takes me right out of the vibe.

• Paul f
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks free. I could do all kind of crazy stuff in there with paint and wallpaper and change it up when I get sick of it. Its getting the right tile in the right places now.

• ilikefriday
    14 days ago

I agree with JPL. Extend it into the shower and ditch the grey in the niche. And while you are at it, create a shelf like in the inspiration photo.

• Paul f
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Too late for shelves.

• ilikefriday
    14 days ago

Of everything you have posted, I think this looks the best so far but I think you could still do better. Maybe do grey on the shower walls too???

• Paul f
    Original Author
    14 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Sorry, I thought I had shown all the walls grey.

• Iri
    14 days ago

Is the terrazzo rated for wet floors? Hope so cuz it's great.

I like the wainscot all around. I'm boring.

Paul f thanked Iri
  • Paul f
    Original Author
    13 days ago

No you're not boring. I like the wainscotting too. Here's the Terrazzo and tile I'm using. The terrazzo is honed and it also comes in 2x2 mosaic sheets for the shower.

• Paul f
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I would switch it up a little on the back wall with a matching 6x6 'pleated' look tile. It throws a little shadow.

• ilikefriday
    13 days ago

The pleated tiles are going on the wall with the sink? Are they extending into the shower? Can you tell me the name of the tiles?

• Paul f
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I was considering the pleated for the back wall for both bathrooms because I put all this effort into an unseen light source to light (LED strip) that illuminates the back walls of bathrooms shower stalls. It would be a shame to not put texture there. I need to order tomorrow so I will sleep on my decision. Thanks for your help. I will post a pic of the finished job in a couple weeks of what I decided. If I went a little over the top... it is to be expected. : P

This is all the Savoy line exclusive to Ann Sacks tile. The color I'm using is called Lantern. Be aware the line is hand made and non-rectified. I've been assured the mosaics are pretty uniform but everything else can vary in length and width. I've seen installations and the grout lines are all over the place. Nevertheless, I believe it is AS most popular line of tile.

• ilikefriday
    13 days ago

I think the best designs result when risks are taken. You are a risk taker. My guess is the end result will be stunning. I can't wait to see photos.

• Paul f
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks! I'm heading over in a minute. I'm going to order all... but ask if I can finish one bathroom back wall and see what it looks like and have the possibility to exchange the rest if I want to switch it up for the second bath. My choices for texture.

• JP L
    13 days ago

Do you have a housekeeper @Paul f? Only asking because if you're going to have to clean those pleated/ripple tiles (the ones for the back wall), you may want to re-think putting them into a shower. They look similar to lap siding - and as someone who has lived with lap siding, it's a bear to keep clean sometimes.

Paul f thanked JP L
  • elcieg
    13 days ago

Too dark, too confining and one dark wall narrows the space. Coordinate vanity and floor then use white tiles, white wall paint, and white shower floor.

Think twice before you do a shower with no door. Photos look great, but what a mess.

You can have a swing door, opening against solid wall.

Paul f thanked elcieg
  • Paul f
    Original Author
    13 days ago

It is about 5' across. That was my first attempt at photoshopping glass. Haha. There will be a glass door to the shower. Funny you should ask. I've just gotten wood samples from the cabinet maker just now. The pleated tile is squeegee-able but I think I've ruled it out.

• Paul f
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I love a dark moody guest bathroom. I swore I'd get the nerve to do it one day. It was white subway tile ceiling to floor an all 4 walls for as long as I've owned the place. No more white!

• acm
    12 days ago

Have you considered your original design, but with the terrazo on the small left wall, so that only the sink wall has the darker color?

Paul f thanked acm
  • cpartist
    12 days ago

I love a dark moody guest bathroom. I swore I'd get the nerve to do it one day. It was white subway tile ceiling to floor an all 4 walls for as long as I've owned the place. No more white!

Most people are afraid to do anything different when it comes to color. That's why almost every kitchen and bath you see on here is mostly white and/or gray. And when grays go out of style again, (they will despite all the people here claiming how much they love it), they'll all be doing beige again.

I am really liking what you're doing with the dark bathroom. I'm leaning to the wainscotting of the terracotta extending into the back wall of the shower. Make sure the niche is the same dark tile on the walls.

Paul f thanked cpartist
  • Paul f
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thanks for the input. I ordered the tile today. It sure adds up!

• Paul f
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Here is the walnut for the vanities with those tiles. How's that look?

• cpartist
    9 days ago

Get rid of the tile on the lower left. Not needed. Stick with just the two on top. The walnut looks good.

Paul f thanked cpartist
  • JP L
    8 days ago

That walnut doesn't just look good, it's darn SEXY. Those colors look amazing together. Agreed to keep it to the two tiles you've already selected - they offer just the right amount of visual interest.

Paul f thanked JP L
Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars127 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living